Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath

Go down 
+27
MoonChild
exact33
Orion Crystal Ice
Selvmord
Onkel Ben
DeathCult
sam
JBall_Z
Smindas
Schbopo
Metal Misfit
mez
Am I Evil?
thejokeriv
tohostudios
MetalFRO
Svengo
candlemass
XYZ
nevermore
ultmetal
mc666
tul
manny
Troublezone
Temple of Blood
MetalGuy71
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2009 10:57 am

So which one is more jealous of Heaven and Hell? Ozzy or Sharon?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2009 11:15 am

From a financial standpoint, Ozzy has nothing to be jealous about. His last album "Black Rain" was his highest charting record to date and he's been raking in the money on Ozzfest for years...not to mention all of his stupid TV shenanigans.

From a musical standpoint is another story however. Nothing Ozzy has recorded in the past 15 years can hold a candle to either Iommi's work with Glenn Huges (Fused) or what Heaven & Hell is currently doing. H&H are still recording uncompromising material...while Ozzy has been busy doing sub-par cover tunes and other half-hearted attempts at commercial radio hits (of course that's probably Sharon's doing).

Ozzy is so out of it by this point that he's basically a marionette that Sharon dangles around from one embarrasing situation to another. She may have "saved his life"...but she stole his soul.
Back to top Go down
Svengo
Metal master
Metal master
Svengo

Number of posts : 967

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2009 3:30 pm

detuned wrote:
She may have "saved his life"...but she stole his soul.

That's so true, Ozzy sure has been turning into more and more of a soulless robot over the years since Sharon first got her claws on him.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17150

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2009 4:24 pm

Svengo wrote:
detuned wrote:
She may have "saved his life"...but she stole his soul.

That's so true, Ozzy sure has been turning into more and more of a soulless robot over the years since Sharon first got her claws on him.

He used to be the Madman now he's just sad.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17150

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2009 4:28 pm

Ozzy isn't the only rocker that ended up being pathetic... Gene Simmons turned into a big douche.
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2009 4:47 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Ozzy isn't the only rocker that ended up being pathetic... Gene Simmons turned into a big douche.

This is true.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2009 6:00 pm

Troublezone wrote:

Correction, Gene Simmons has always been a douche bag.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2009 6:02 pm

Quote :

What the hell is Ozzy suing over anyway? If Iommi owned the rights as the suit claims then why is the new Sabbath album attributed to Heaven and Hell?

If they went out in the Dio/Iommi/Ward/Appice incarnation as "Black Sabbath", they'd have to play "War Pigs", "Paranoid", "Iron Man" etc...they didn't want to do that...they wanted to focus on the Dio era and not confuse the fans who, coming to see "Black Sabbath", would expect Ozzy era songs
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2009 7:17 pm

Troublezone wrote:

True, but he has a sense of humor about it. And he's like the symbol of capitalism.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2009 8:24 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Quote :

What the hell is Ozzy suing over anyway? If Iommi owned the rights as the suit claims then why is the new Sabbath album attributed to Heaven and Hell?

If they went out in the Dio/Iommi/Ward/Appice incarnation as "Black Sabbath", they'd have to play "War Pigs", "Paranoid", "Iron Man" etc...they didn't want to do that...they wanted to focus on the Dio era and not confuse the fans who, coming to see "Black Sabbath", would expect Ozzy era songs

I don't buy that excuse for a minute, confuse the fans? We know what this line-up is, it would only confuse the morons! There would be no need to play the Ozzy era Sabbath anyway, don't recall Dio performing any of the Martin era material in 92.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2009 8:49 pm

Right, but your casual fan would show up to the gig and expect Ozzy and the 'hits' of Black Sabbath. Not Dio and his era of material. The Martin material is not as synonymous with the Black Sabbath name as say 'Paranoid' or 'War Pigs'.

And just to drop in my two cents, this seems like an absolutely ridiculous ploy by the Sharon Osbourne camp to remind everyone that, in her eyes at least, Ozzy = Sabbath. Which is just not true and smacks of jealous embitterment.

Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

Number of posts : 919

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2009 9:02 pm

In the article I read, Ozzy contradicts himself by stating that he doesn't have the right to speak for Geezer and Bill, but he believes that morally and ethically, the trademark should be owned by the four of them equally. If that is truly the way he feels, why is he suing for 50 percent interest in the "Black Sabbath" trademark?

BTW, do I owe somebody a quarter for typing the words Black Sabbath?
Back to top Go down
JBall_Z
Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

Number of posts : 919

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2009 9:06 pm

manny wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

...and still I can't wait for the new KISS album. I'm such a sucker.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2009 10:22 pm

JBall_Z wrote:
manny wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

...and still I can't wait for the new KISS album. I'm such a sucker.

same here Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2009 11:04 pm

candlemass wrote:

I don't buy that excuse for a minute, confuse the fans? We know what this line-up is, it would only confuse the morons! There would be no need to play the Ozzy era Sabbath anyway, don't recall Dio performing any of the Martin era material in 92.

Iommi has stated in a quite a few interviews that after touring with Ozzy for 10 years and having to play the same small setlist of tunes (that Ozzy could still sing) he was sick of it. He hadn't been able to play any of the Dio era material for ages, hence the name change. I also have a feeling that Dio wouldn't want to sing any of the Ozzy material anymore...I doubt he ever did in the first place.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 12:26 am

Smindas wrote:

And just to drop in my two cents, this seems like an absolutely ridiculous ploy by the Sharon Osbourne camp to remind everyone that, in her eyes at least, Ozzy = Sabbath. Which is just not true and smacks of jealous embitterment.

amen bro, Iommi = Sabbath
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 10:06 am

candlemass wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Quote :

Well there were obviously no legal restrictions keeping them from using Black Sabbath as a name...so what's your theory? I heard Tony say what I stated on more than on occasion.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 12:37 pm

I think Tony was just trying to appease Sharon and Ozzy, obviously that hasn't worked.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 1:58 pm

candlemass wrote:
I think Tony was just trying to appease Sharon and Ozzy, obviously that hasn't worked.

Possibly...but I can easily see the logic in the other.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 10:37 am

candlemass wrote:

I've always felt that way about it too. Iommi is obviously seems like a class act and despite what he may say in the press, I always had the feeling the name change was just to avoid any hassle with Sharon. And yea, that obviously ain't working.

I get that Heaven & Hell wants to focus on the Dio-years, but to say it would "confuse the fans" smells like sign to me. The real fans know the difference.

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 12:05 pm

I may have used the word "confuse" incorrectly...they did not want fans to be disappointed coming to see "Black Sabbath" and having the entire original era excluded.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 12:22 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
I may have used the word "confuse" incorrectly...they did not want fans to be disappointed coming to see "Black Sabbath" and having the entire original era excluded.

Nah, I think you're right in saying that. I'm pretty sure I've read press releases where either Tony or Ronnie did use the phrase "confuse the fans", but again, I think that was just their polite way of saying "If we tour as Black Sabbath, Sharon will be up our a$$".

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 12:28 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Nah, I think you're right in saying that. I'm pretty sure I've read press releases where either Tony or Ronnie did use the phrase "confuse the fans", but again, I think that was just their polite way of saying "If we tour as Black Sabbath, Sharon will be up our a$$".

I'm sure that had a little to do with it as well.

But, I still contend that the fan thing was part of it...it'd be the same type people who went to see Journey w/ Augeri and thought he WAS Perry....LOL! They'd be there screaming (drunk) "WHOOO!!! PARANOID!!!!!!" and be pissed off/disappointed at not hearing it ("I thought this was Black Sabbath!! They're ignoring Ozzy!! Ozzy IS Black Sabbath!!!" blah-blah-blah...

It made more sense to keep the Black Sabbath name on Dehumanizer as the reunion had not happened yet. But after reuniting & touring for close to ten years w/ Ozzy & Bill, it does seem a little strange to go back to calling it "Black Sabbath" again...even though Tony had every legal right to do so.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 1:57 pm

The name Black Sabbath is of course a "valuable commodity", but it also comes with tons of baggage attached.

With the success of Heaven & Hell I think Iommi has proof that they can continue without using the name and do just fine.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 2:00 pm

Quote :
it'd be the same type people who went to see Journey w/ Augeri and thought he WAS Perry....LOL! They'd be there screaming (drunk) "WHOOO!!! PARANOID!!!!!!" and be pissed off/disappointed at not hearing it ("I thought this was Black Sabbath!! They're ignoring Ozzy!! Ozzy IS Black Sabbath!!!"

Those nitwits get what they deserve. drunk

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next