Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath

Go down 
+27
MoonChild
exact33
Orion Crystal Ice
Selvmord
Onkel Ben
DeathCult
sam
JBall_Z
Smindas
Schbopo
Metal Misfit
mez
Am I Evil?
thejokeriv
tohostudios
MetalFRO
Svengo
candlemass
XYZ
nevermore
ultmetal
mc666
tul
manny
Troublezone
Temple of Blood
MetalGuy71
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 5:25 pm

I think Iommi didnot use the name Black Sabbath when they decided to tour to promote the comp disc, 'The Dio Years', because I felt he wanted to leave the door open in case Ozzy wanted to go in the studio or maybe do another tour in the future. I am also sure he just didnot want to hear from Sharon 'material girl' running her mouth about how Ozzy was Black Sabbath.

Strangely enough the comp Black Sabbath 'Dio Years' and the boxset have sold very well, and I scanned the credits and didnot spot Ozzy's name anywhere.

Ozzy's solo success was built on the backs of others anyway, a deadman (Randy Rhoads) a lyricist (Bob Daisley), guitarist ( Zakk and the underrated Jake E Lee), not to mention a series of producers. I am an Ozzy fan but do not claim that you had a creative partnership with Iommi.
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 7:38 pm

Jimmy Fallon actually made a joke about this last friday night. It fell flat, but I was impressed that he knew who Tony Iommi is.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2009 9:45 pm

xyz wrote:
Jimmy Fallon actually made a joke about this last friday night. It fell flat, but I was impressed that he knew who Tony Iommi is.

He doesn't. Someone on his team of comedy writers read it in the paper.

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 8:15 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
xyz wrote:

Jimmy Fallon is a music fan...I'm sure he knows who Tony Iommi is...
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 10:39 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
xyz wrote:

I will NEVER, EVER, EVER give any credit to that douche Jimmy Fallon.

One exception. If they are looking to credit one of the very worst cast members of SNL, I'll point a (middle) finger in his general direction. He'll most likely giggle while trying to come up with a clever response, then guffaw and laugh himself silly at a joke that nobody knows but him.

Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 11:11 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
xyz wrote:

I will NEVER, EVER, EVER give any credit to that douche Jimmy Fallon.

One exception. If they are looking to credit one of the very worst cast members of SNL, I'll point a (middle) finger in his general direction. He'll most likely giggle while trying to come up with a clever response, then guffaw and laugh himself silly at a joke that nobody knows but him.

I agree, I hate that guy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 11:55 am

You're both just jealous because he's funnier than you. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 12:08 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

I'm jealous that he made a movie with Drew Barrymore. She's cute as a button. Crazier than a sh*t-house rat, but cute nonetheless.

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 12:15 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

I'm jealous that he made a movie with Drew Barrymore. She's cute as a button. Crazier than a sh*t-house rat, but cute nonetheless.

This is true...she's too cute for words.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 6:15 pm

Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
Onkel Ben
Metal novice
Metal novice
Onkel Ben

Number of posts : 42

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 7:12 pm

Didn't everybody in black sabbath sell their share of the rights to the name to Iommi? I just can't see any logical argument for Ozzy's case with this knowledge.
Back to top Go down
Selvmord
Metal student
Metal student
Selvmord

Number of posts : 238

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 8:45 pm

That Heaven and Hell CD is better than anything Ozzy has put out in a loooong time....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2009 1:16 pm

Selvmord wrote:
That Heaven and Hell CD is better than anything almost anyone has put out in a loooong time....

Fixed. happy
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 10:28 am

Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 3 83628

Ozzy Osbourne told The Pulse of Radio recently that a lawsuit between him and guitarist Tony Iommi over the use of the Black Sabbath name has been settled and that everything is now okay between the two former bandmates. With that cleared up, The Pulse of Radio asked Ozzy if there was once again a chance for the original Sabbath lineup to get together again. "Well, I never say never," he said. "I mean, I've got a few ideas, but we'll see what happens, you know. We did try and do another album, but we've all changed so much and it's — if you don't do an album that blows the doors off the last one that we did together, then it's gonna be looked upon as a joke, you know."
The original Black Sabbath lineup of Osbourne, Iommi, bassist Geezer Butler and drummer Bill Ward has not toured together since the summer of 2005, and last convened for their induction into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame in early 2006.
They did try to record a new album 11 years ago, their first since 1978, but abandoned the projectt after a couple of songs.
Iommi and Butler have toured and recorded since 2007 with latter-day Sabbath singer Ronnie James Dio and drummer Vinny Appice under the name Heaven & Hell, until Dio's passing last month from stomach cancer.
Ozzy will release a new solo album, called "Scream," on June 22nd and headline Ozzfest later this summer.
The singer filed a lawsuit against Iommi in May 2009, claiming that the guitarist illegally took sole ownership of the band's name in a filing with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
Osbourne sued Iommi for a 50 percent interest in the "Black Sabbath" trademark, along with a portion of Iommi's profits from use of the name.
The Manhattan federal court suit also charged that Osbourne's "signature lead vocals" are largely responsible for the band's "extraordinary success," noting that its popularity plummeted during his absence from 1980 through 1996.
Lawyer Andrew DeVore argued that Osbourne signed away all his rights to the Black Sabbath trademark after he quit the band in 1979.
Osbourne's lawyer, Howard Shire, called that agreement a "red herring" that was "repudiated" when the singer rejoined in 1997 and took over "quality control" of the band's merchandise, tours and recordings.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 11:04 am

Did Sabbath's popularity really drop with Dio behind the healm in the 80's? I thought that their popularity actually grew again after a decline in the late 70's.

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 11:04 am

manny wrote:
Osbourne's lawyer, Howard Shire, called that agreement a "red herring" that was "repudiated" when the singer rejoined in 1997 and took over "quality control" of the band's merchandise, tours and recordings.

Ozzy took over "quality control" when he re-joined Sabbath? Laughing very hard

What's his lawyer been smoking?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 11:08 am

ultmetal wrote:
Did Sabbath's popularity really drop with Dio behind the healm in the 80's? I thought that their popularity actually grew again after a decline in the late 70's.

Yes. Heaven & Hell sold incredibly well, Mob Rules a little less...then pretty much every album they did afterward in the 80s and early 90's was a financial dud. Only the Dehumanizer tour broke that cycle of failure and it didn't sell as well as expected either.

Ozzy continued to sell boatloads of records during the same era.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 11:10 am

You are right ULT their popularity increased when Dio joined the band after a few years of decreasing popularity with the original line up and Ozzy only has quality control on the type of pot he smokes not Sabbath's music.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 6:28 pm

manny wrote:
The Pulse of Radio asked Ozzy if there was once again a chance for the original Sabbath lineup to get together again. "Well, I never say never," he said. "I mean, I've got a few ideas, but we'll see what happens, you know. We did try and do another album, but we've all changed so much and it's — if you don't do an album that blows the doors off the last one that we did together, then it's gonna be looked upon as a joke, you know."

They can't best 'Never Say Die'? Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 3 Suspect
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 6:43 pm

I would prefer to keep my memories of the Ozzy lineup of Sabbath...as memories. I actually hope they don't do anything together...maybe if it was 1995 I would feel differently, but the ship has sailed methinks.

I would love to see Iommi record some more stuff with Glenn Hughes, they are a great tandem.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 7:21 pm

Iommi & Butler doing something with Hughes and/or Martin. That's all I care about. Ozzy holds Iommi back. It's already been shown he's content to let Sabbath be a nostalgia act and with every passing show the set list became more and more limited.

Sadly, the reunion is inevitable but it would be a huge creative step back for Iommi and Butler, who still have a lot to give.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23271

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 7:24 pm

Onkel Ben wrote:
Didn't everybody in black sabbath sell their share of the rights to the name to Iommi? I just can't see any logical argument for Ozzy's case with this knowledge.

does ozzy ever do anything logical? I imagine when his album bombs he will find something else to sue iommi over.

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 7:53 pm

I wouldn't mind hearing Gillan with them again but Hughes would be a good choice. His vocals on Seventh Star are perfect.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17150

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 2:02 am

Ozzy is nuts suing Iommi...

Tony has always been the heart and soul of Sabbath.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 3:14 am

Tony IS Sabbath! Ozzy can take the highway! But I liked Ozzy in Sabbath.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath   Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ozzy Sues Iommi Over Name Black Sabbath
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next