Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Marvel or DC?

Go down 
+18
EvyMetal
GrandNational
XYZ
SlaytanicPOWER
spiritoradio
MetalGuy71
Leatherface
DeathCult
manny
Troublezone
Fat Freddy
SideShowDisaSter
Stender
Metal Misfit
Svengo
sheets
Glenn Rogers
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Glenn Rogers
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Glenn Rogers

Number of posts : 1069

Marvel or DC? Empty
PostSubject: Marvel or DC?   Marvel or DC? Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 6:25 pm

Which one do you like best and why?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/finaldecreeofficial/
sheets
Metal master
Metal master
sheets

Number of posts : 638

Marvel or DC? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marvel or DC?   Marvel or DC? Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 6:35 pm

I like both but at a push I'll take Marvel. Their characters are easier to relate to and the company had such great, energetic art at its peak. Marvel's comics are just plain fun to read.

Nowadays I can't stand either one and just stick to the reprints Smile
Back to top Go down
Glenn Rogers
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Glenn Rogers

Number of posts : 1069

Marvel or DC? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marvel or DC?   Marvel or DC? Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 6:48 pm

I like Marvel as well...DC seems too stiff or too Red White and Blue for me.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/finaldecreeofficial/

Marvel or DC? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marvel or DC?   Marvel or DC? Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 6:51 pm

DC all the way. Why? Because of Catwoman, and of course The Spectre and Dr. Fate. Marvel is just too goofy for me, plus it seems everyone has to be part of a team. I smurfing hate teams.
Back to top Go down
Svengo
Metal master
Metal master
Svengo

Number of posts : 967

Marvel or DC? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marvel or DC?   Marvel or DC? Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 7:16 pm

I like titles from both companies, but there are certainly differences in how they handle their characters and universes. DC has typically seemed, to me anyway, to idealize their characters more than Marvel. Many DC characters seem to be set up as almost gods or demi-gods in their universe. Marvel on the other hand seems to strive to have more characters that are more relatable.

The DC universe always seemed more convoluted than the Marvel one,(although Marvels' is pretty convoluted). After a big universe event Marvel just seems to sort of do a reset of their universe and things are basically like they were before. DC, however seems to just have all of these alternate Earths that seem hard to keep up with.

In the end though both are great and don't forget about the other smaller companies that put out quality stuff like Dark Horse, Image, IDW, Boom, etc...
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

Marvel or DC? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marvel or DC?   Marvel or DC? Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 7:38 pm

DC. They have the icons and though their writers & editors don't always get it right, I appreciate the history and legacy within their universe.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

Marvel or DC? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marvel or DC?   Marvel or DC? Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 9:13 pm

DC for one reason.....Jonah Hex.

Although my favorate comic of all time is Marvel's Planet X series, but for the most part I dig DC more.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

Marvel or DC? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marvel or DC?   Marvel or DC? Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 9:22 pm

I was a Marvel fan slightly more. I was more intrigued by the drawing and shading styles of their artists than what was going on at DC. I kinda cooled on both and became a pretty big fan of Image when they hit the scene. A lot of their early books REALLY got my attention.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

Marvel or DC? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marvel or DC?   Marvel or DC? Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 9:25 pm

Hmmmm... tough one for me. I have been out of the comic book loop for a while now (I quit collecting in the mid 90s) but during my big geek phase I think I bought pretty equally from both groups. Though I guess if pressed I'd have to say Marvel, because Spider-Man is, was, and always will be my favorite character.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

Marvel or DC? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marvel or DC?   Marvel or DC? Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 10:04 pm

Marvel for comic books and DC for movies. Superman and Batman have been far superior in the movie world.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Marvel or DC? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marvel or DC?   Marvel or DC? Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 10:07 pm

DC Comics all the way. I love the history of the characters and I actually didnot mind the Earth 1 and Earth 2 etc that I loved as a kid, I liked Marvel but I loved DC.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

Marvel or DC? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marvel or DC?   Marvel or DC? Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 10:37 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
DC all the way.

Thanks Im flattered Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

Marvel or DC? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marvel or DC?   Marvel or DC? Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 11:24 pm

Dark Horse. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Marvel or DC? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marvel or DC?   Marvel or DC? Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 11:31 pm

Leatherface wrote:
Dark Horse. Smile

+1

Ever read the Goon? I love that one.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Marvel or DC? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marvel or DC?   Marvel or DC? Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 9:15 am

Troublezone wrote:
Marvel for comic books and DC for movies. Superman and Batman have been far superior in the movie world.

DC's films had a few clinkers over the years... Remember "Superman III" and "Superman IV: The Quest For Peace?" How'bout "Batman & Robin" with George Clooney? Ugh.

Quote :
DC for one reason.....Jonah Hex.

Niiiice. "Jonah Hex: Two Gun Mojo" was one of my fave DC/Vertigo series. His old "straight" Western series from the 70s/80s was pretty bad-ass too. I thought I was the only one who read his stuff! 🤘

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Marvel or DC? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marvel or DC?   Marvel or DC? Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 9:28 am

I loved Jonah Hex, his character was so ruthless kind of reminded me of those old Clint Eastwood movies 'The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly', it would have been cool if they had made a movie based on that comic book, I didnot care for the series 'Hex' where he is sent to future or was it another planet, anyway I didnot care for that series but I loved the original Jonah Hex series from the 70's and 80's.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Marvel or DC? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marvel or DC?   Marvel or DC? Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 9:53 am

manny wrote:
I did not care for the series 'Hex' where he is sent to future or was it another planet.

Ohmigawd, I had forgotten about that travesty. If memory serves, Jonah was transported thru time to the future (the 23rd or 24th century) by a "collector" who was bringing together warriors from various time periods for a sort of futuristic version of "The Most Dangerous Game." The result was kinda like Clint Eastwood meets "Mad Max." Terrible, terrible series!! I think it lasted just over a year and was then (mercifully) cancelled. I bought nearly the entire series at a comic book convention for a quarter apiece and after reading thru them all, wished I hadn't bothered.

Back to top Go down
sheets
Metal master
Metal master
sheets

Number of posts : 638

Marvel or DC? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marvel or DC?   Marvel or DC? Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 10:41 am

manny wrote:
I loved Jonah Hex, his character was so ruthless kind of reminded me of those old Clint Eastwood movies 'The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly', it would have been cool if they had made a movie based on that comic book.

They're making one right now. Josh Brolin and Megan Fox in the cast, IIRC.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Marvel or DC? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marvel or DC?   Marvel or DC? Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 10:53 am

Back in my collecting days, I was all about Marvel. Some of my first comics were Spiderman and Fantastc Four, so I guess I just was drawn to them more than DC. With Marvel, I collected series of books (Spiderman, Captain America, GI Joe, etc.). The only DC comics I have (or had) were moslty one shot deals, bought because they had a cool cover or something.

The lost Ramone
Stender

Marvel or DC? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marvel or DC?   Marvel or DC? Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 11:52 am

sheets wrote:
manny wrote:
I loved Jonah Hex, his character was so ruthless kind of reminded me of those old Clint Eastwood movies 'The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly', it would have been cool if they had made a movie based on that comic book.

They're making one right now. Josh Brolin and Megan Fox in the cast, IIRC.

Yes! I read about that a few weeks back, I hope they dont make it shitty...this is my anticpated film of the year so far.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Marvel or DC? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marvel or DC?   Marvel or DC? Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 11:55 am

Stender wrote:

Yes! I read about that a few weeks back, I hope they dont make it shitty...this is my anticpated film of the year so far.

Anyone know if the Jonah Hex movie is going to be based on the earlier straight up Western comics of the 70s, or are they going to use the darker, horror oriented Vertigo "Jonah Hex" as their template?

EDIT: Just on a whim I looked "Jonah" up on IMDB. Details are sketchy of course since the movie's still in production (release date is 2010) but this plot sounds more like the "Vertigo" dark horror Western style... which is fine by me.

Quote :

In the Wild West, a scarred bounty hunter tracks a voodoo practitioner bent on liberating the South by raising an army of the undead.

Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

Marvel or DC? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marvel or DC?   Marvel or DC? Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2009 10:39 am

I'm a comic book guy, so I pick-up whatever looks good, but in my collection I definetly have more Marvel than DC. One of my favorite titles right now is actually an Image comic, The Walking Dead. Great zombie comic.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580

Marvel or DC? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marvel or DC?   Marvel or DC? Icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2009 4:37 pm

DC for Batman alone.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Marvel or DC? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marvel or DC?   Marvel or DC? Icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2009 5:48 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Stender wrote:

Anyone know if the Jonah Hex movie is going to be based on the earlier straight up Western comics of the 70s, or are they going to use the darker, horror oriented Vertigo "Jonah Hex" as their template?

EDIT: Just on a whim I looked "Jonah" up on IMDB. Details are sketchy of course since the movie's still in production (release date is 2010) but this plot sounds more like the "Vertigo" dark horror Western style... which is fine by me.

Quote :

In the Wild West, a scarred bounty hunter tracks a voodoo practitioner bent on liberating the South by raising an army of the undead.

I think its going to be the based on the vertigo jonah hex timeline. I just looked up that Josh Brolin guy thats supposed to play him because I wasnt familar with the actor...or so I thought, I didnt know at the time, but this is the same dude that played mikeys older brother in Goonies!..haha. Recent pics of him fit pretty good with Hex's character I think.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40559

Marvel or DC? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marvel or DC?   Marvel or DC? Icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2009 9:18 pm

I haven't read comic books in years but I was always a Marvel fan. Better characters,stories,art,etc. I never liked Superman until the Byrne revamp (too powerful,convoluted,boring) .Did you ever read 60s DC compared to the Marvel at the time? Difference is night and day. DC tried to fix the universe with the Crisis in the 80s but made things more confusing (try figuring out the Legion's history up til then).

Marvel could do no wrong (I thought) until the 90s. The Spider-Man clone saga and the too popular X-Men titles come to mind. I was a big fan of the X-Men before then but the stories got more & more overburdened (crossovers out the wazoo,special hologram covers,etc.) and it just drove me to stop collecting.Wish I still did but it's way beyond that now (and costly)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Marvel or DC? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marvel or DC?   Marvel or DC? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Marvel or DC?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next