Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Deep Purple - Come Taste The Band

Go down 
+4
Psychotron
Wargod
ultmetal
Chairman_Smith
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

Deep Purple - Come Taste The Band Empty
PostSubject: Deep Purple - Come Taste The Band   Deep Purple - Come Taste The Band Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 5:13 pm

I just bought this album on vinyl. I dare say its the best output i've heard from the Hughes/Coverdale era. Bolin's style matches them better than Blackmore. Definatley a different band from the Gillan era.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Come Taste The Band   Deep Purple - Come Taste The Band Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 7:15 pm

Yes, it's a very good album. Deep Purple - Come Taste The Band 11840

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Come Taste The Band   Deep Purple - Come Taste The Band Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 7:19 pm

Yup Bolin era Purp one of my favs all time!

Wargod
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Come Taste The Band   Deep Purple - Come Taste The Band Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 7:43 pm

I avoided this album for years...well, to be honest I used to avoid any of the Coverdale albums because I dislike him so much. The only songs from the Coverdale/Hughes lineup that I knew were the tracks on Deepest Purple and the live album Made In Europe. Ian Gillan is one of my favorite vocalists and I was only comfortable with him in the Deep Purple vocal chair. Anyway...

A few years ago I picked up the remaster of Burn and loved it, then also got Stormbringer and loved that too. Then Manny finally convinced me to check out Come Taste The Band and I wasn't that thrilled with it at first, but it grew on me and I now really enjoy it. Need to give it a fresh listen soon.

Bolin is a great guitarist, but I still prefer his fusion work to what he did in Deep Purple.

Back to top Go down
Psychotron
Metal student
Metal student
Psychotron

Number of posts : 167

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Come Taste The Band   Deep Purple - Come Taste The Band Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 8:00 pm

Eh...it's an ok album, but does not come close to "Burn" or even "Stormbringer."
Back to top Go down
http://nicksmetal.blogspot.com
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Come Taste The Band   Deep Purple - Come Taste The Band Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 8:02 pm

Manny turned me on to this one too - I need to break it out again. The songs are decent, but I have a hard time getting into non-Blackmore DP.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Come Taste The Band   Deep Purple - Come Taste The Band Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 8:36 pm

I like all the Steve Morse albums, so not having Blackmore aboard isn't the issue for me. I just identify Purple with Gillan so heavily that the Coverdale/Hughes lineup will always be second tier for me.

Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Come Taste The Band   Deep Purple - Come Taste The Band Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2012 2:02 am

Psychotron wrote:
Eh...it's an ok album, but does not come close to "Burn" or even "Stormbringer."

I agree. I just can't get past Deep Purple without Blackmore. I do have CTTB on vinyl, maybe I oughta give it a spin again.
Back to top Go down
Psychotron
Metal student
Metal student
Psychotron

Number of posts : 167

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Come Taste The Band   Deep Purple - Come Taste The Band Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2012 12:51 pm

Really, I feel like it's a better Whitesnake album than a Deep Purple release. The songs are much more bluesy and funky.

However, I recommend picking up the 35th Anniversary Edition of the album. It has a couple extra tracks which are really cool and I think Glenn Hughes remixed them all.
Back to top Go down
http://nicksmetal.blogspot.com

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Come Taste The Band   Deep Purple - Come Taste The Band Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2012 12:55 pm

The deluxe edition of Stormbringer is worth picking up as well, sounds great and also contains a few Glenn Hughes remixes as bonus tracks.

Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Come Taste The Band   Deep Purple - Come Taste The Band Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2012 2:31 pm

I've always enjoyed the Coverdale/Hughes lineup of Deep Purple, and this album has some of their best tracks ("You Keep On Moving", "Comin' Home").
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Come Taste The Band   Deep Purple - Come Taste The Band Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2012 2:43 pm

I love 'Come Taste the Band', I love the songwriting and performances on the album. I have no idea how far they could have taken this band if Tommy Bolin had not become such a mess because of drugs, this album is so far from the Deep Purple classic sound, I am not surprised alot of fans did not embrace it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Deep Purple - Come Taste The Band   Deep Purple - Come Taste The Band Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Deep Purple - Come Taste The Band
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: