Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What band or bands do you consider washed up?

Go down 
+19
kmorg
MetalGuy71
sheets
tohostudios
Temple of Blood
manny
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
thejokeriv
SlaytanicPOWER
Lurideath
akeldama
MetalChaz
mc666
powermacho
candlemass
Svengo
Trial by Fire
Troublezone
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 668

What band or bands do you consider washed up? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What band or bands do you consider washed up?   What band or bands do you consider washed up? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 1:48 pm

Def Leppard
Queensryche (though I've liked a couple of songs off of the last two)
Iced Earth
Iron Maiden
Metal Church

Will probably have to add Anthrax to this list after the next album.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What band or bands do you consider washed up?   What band or bands do you consider washed up? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 1:56 pm

I had written off Maiden entirely, but I have to admit that I enjoyed A Matter Of Life And Death much more than I thought I would. I'm still not crazy about the 3 guitar lineup...and I'd like to hear them write a few shorter, punchier tunes...but that album is pretty impressive for a band that's been around as long as they have.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: What band or bands do you consider washed up?   What band or bands do you consider washed up? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 1:57 pm

7thSecond wrote:
Metal Church

Seconding this one. MC was one of my fave bands in the 80s/90s so I really WANT to like the stuff being put out by the new lineup, but we're three records in now and each one has only made me go "Zzzzzz."

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: What band or bands do you consider washed up?   What band or bands do you consider washed up? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 2:00 pm

I'm not ready to give up on Anthrax. I haven't heard a bad album from them yet. I'm not sold on the new singer yet, but I've really only judged him by some live clips that have been under-whelming. But even if his vocals aren't up to snuff, that doesn't mean Anthrax can't still write good music.

Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 668

PostSubject: Re: What band or bands do you consider washed up?   What band or bands do you consider washed up? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 2:10 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I'm not ready to give up on Anthrax. But even if his vocals aren't up to snuff, that doesn't mean Anthrax can't still write good music.
True, they just can't sing good music. Wink
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: What band or bands do you consider washed up?   What band or bands do you consider washed up? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 2:24 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
TheNazgul wrote:

I wonder about Iced Earth?

Good one... their last couple of albums have been snoozers. I'd say if Schaffer would get over his "I wanna be epic like Blind Guardian" fixation and concentrate on delivering a killer album next time around (minus all the conceptual X-Files/alien invasion crap) then there may be life in IE yet. I haven't totally written them off yet but if they release a part III to that damn "Something Wicked" saga next time out I'm sayin' "Check please!"

Ditto!

I gotta disagree on that one. While I've given up on Iced Earth as well, I don't think of them as washed-up. While Jon's latest few discs may not have been all that exciting, from a writing/creative stand-point, they've certainly been ambitious in the epic story lines and orchestral music. Sure, it might be in a different direction from what most of us have been accustomed to with his earlier work, but to say he's washed-up seems unfair. Same with Iron Maiden. The last few albums haven't been super awesome out-of-this-world classics, but they're hardly work of lazy or un-inspired artists.

When I think of a washed-up band, I think of a band that's gotten lazy or stuck in a rut either in their song-writing or performance.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: What band or bands do you consider washed up?   What band or bands do you consider washed up? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 3:21 pm

I think both Aerosmith and Def Leppard are washed up. It's understandable that some will defend a band they grew up with but when they become a radio hits smurf-for-hire it's time to pull the plug.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: What band or bands do you consider washed up?   What band or bands do you consider washed up? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 3:25 pm

Troublezone wrote:
I think both Aerosmith and Def Leppard are washed up. It's understandable that some will defend a band they grew up with but when it's commercialized to the point that it's gotten it time to pull the plug.

I donot agree that either of these bands are washed up creatively, they may have taken a more commerical direction than you and I may care for, but it does not make them washed up.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: What band or bands do you consider washed up?   What band or bands do you consider washed up? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 3:28 pm

manny wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
I think both Aerosmith and Def Leppard are washed up. It's understandable that some will defend a band they grew up with but when it's commercialized to the point that it's gotten it time to pull the plug.

I donot agree that either of these bands are washed up creatively, they may have taken a more commerical direction than you and I may care for, but it does not make them washed up.

Integrity wise they are... but their pocket books are smilin'.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What band or bands do you consider washed up?   What band or bands do you consider washed up? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 5:26 pm

Def Leppard had integrity? Let's face it, they've been pop oriented since the beginning. Bringin' On The Heartbreak, Photograph, etc. They never were and never will be a metal band. I don't personally like them, but I know there's a market for slick, well produced pop-rock and Def Leppard fills that void.

These types of threads are just argument-creators.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What band or bands do you consider washed up?   What band or bands do you consider washed up? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 5:27 pm

Quote :
I think both Aerosmith and Def Leppard are washed up. It's understandable that some will defend a band they grew up with but when they become a radio hits smurf-for-hire it's time to pull the plug.

What? What's the last radio hit DL had?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What band or bands do you consider washed up?   What band or bands do you consider washed up? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 5:29 pm

Quote :
I gotta disagree on that one. While I've given up on Iced Earth as well, I don't think of them as washed-up. While Jon's latest few discs may not have been all that exciting, from a writing/creative stand-point, they've certainly been ambitious in the epic story lines and orchestral music. Sure, it might be in a different direction from what most of us have been accustomed to with his earlier work, but to say he's washed-up seems unfair.

Maybe you're right. I hope Barlow will finally tell Jon he's tired of singing about his alien probes and get back to some real metal.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What band or bands do you consider washed up?   What band or bands do you consider washed up? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 5:30 pm

Quote :
These types of threads are just argument-creators

Don't think of them as arguements, think of them as different opinions with feeling.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: What band or bands do you consider washed up?   What band or bands do you consider washed up? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 5:34 pm

detuned wrote:
Def Leppard had integrity? Let's face it, they've been pop oriented since the beginning. Bringin' On The Heartbreak, Photograph, etc. They never were and never will be a metal band. I don't personally like them, but I know there's a market for slick, well produced pop-rock and Def Leppard fills that void.

These types of threads are just argument-creators.

Well them never being a metal band is opinion since their first two albums are generally considered NWOBHM. Being polished doesn't have anything to do with them not making good records anymore, i think they had intergrity in the beginning when they were hungry and making a name for themselves. Lastly, this is a discussion board is it not? If we all agreed on everything it would be boring.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: What band or bands do you consider washed up?   What band or bands do you consider washed up? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 5:38 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
Quote :
These types of threads are just argument-creators

Don't think of them as arguements, think of them as different opinions with feeling.

The longer you are a member here the higher the chances you will disagree with someone else. Funny thing is the ones that say things like that can't stay away from the threads that bother them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What band or bands do you consider washed up?   What band or bands do you consider washed up? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 5:44 pm

I've had more constructive arguments with single-cell organisms. Ya'll have fun in here, I'm out.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: What band or bands do you consider washed up?   What band or bands do you consider washed up? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 5:46 pm

detuned wrote:
I've had more constructive arguments with single-cell organisms. Ya'll have fun in here, I'm out.

lame Laughing
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: What band or bands do you consider washed up?   What band or bands do you consider washed up? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 6:31 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
Quote :

Def Leppard's 'Nine Lives' was a minor radio hit.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: What band or bands do you consider washed up?   What band or bands do you consider washed up? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 7:24 pm

Quote :

That one they did with Tim Mcgraw was a semi hit. Actually it's even worse and sad that they write these boring records with the intent of being as commercial as possible and it goes nowhere.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What band or bands do you consider washed up?   What band or bands do you consider washed up? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 11:53 pm

I think they went poppy on purpose because Joe likes it and I think Clark was the one that pushed them more the NWOBHM style. They haven't been big for years yet they haven't gone back and written Pyro II. They know they aren't going to sell a ton when they write records like they do.
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1778

PostSubject: Re: What band or bands do you consider washed up?   What band or bands do you consider washed up? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2009 12:32 am

The Iced earth are still young to retire, If they do it now, they could come back strong on some years, or do another DEMONS AND WIZARDS project .

What worries me is that there hasn't come out traditional heavy metal bands that could replace the old bands when their time comes. I see plenty of new thrash and power metal bands R.I.P.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: What band or bands do you consider washed up?   What band or bands do you consider washed up? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2009 8:27 am

TheNazgul wrote:
I think they went poppy on purpose because Joe likes it and I think Clark was the one that pushed them more the NWOBHM style. They haven't been big for years yet they haven't gone back and written Pyro II. They know they aren't going to sell a ton when they write records like they do.

I have to agree with this statement, I am sure it was the late Steve Clark and former guitartist Pete Willis who may have pushed them to a more metal sound, Phil Collen has always said Def Leppard were more Duran Duran than Black Sabbath.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: What band or bands do you consider washed up?   What band or bands do you consider washed up? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2009 12:14 pm

i know this is all just peoples opinions so no offence but here goes.

anthrax - to me a plae imitation of past greats
exodus - should have retired gracefully after souza died

of course some of the cash cow milking bands like kiss and aerosmith may yet release new material (although its relevancy remains to be seen) so i wont write them off just write as being washed up

as always this is MHO
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Number of posts : 2206

PostSubject: Re: What band or bands do you consider washed up?   What band or bands do you consider washed up? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2009 12:17 pm

Def Leppard has had their heyday but alas it is long-gone! I will still be seeing them play live this summer, mainly for old time's ske.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: What band or bands do you consider washed up?   What band or bands do you consider washed up? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2009 12:22 pm

are you alluding to download festival, after three years of annual attendance im not going this year mainly cos i cant affords it
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What band or bands do you consider washed up?   What band or bands do you consider washed up? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What band or bands do you consider washed up?
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next