Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What band or bands do you consider washed up?

Go down 
+19
kmorg
MetalGuy71
sheets
tohostudios
Temple of Blood
manny
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
thejokeriv
SlaytanicPOWER
Lurideath
akeldama
MetalChaz
mc666
powermacho
candlemass
Svengo
Trial by Fire
Troublezone
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
sheets
Metal master
Metal master
sheets

Number of posts : 638

What band or bands do you consider washed up? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What band or bands do you consider washed up?   What band or bands do you consider washed up? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 9:54 am

manny wrote:
Iron Maiden's last studio album was excellent and far from washed up, Judas Priest may have taken a misstep with the whole concept album but I am glad to see a band that has been recording 30 + years after not afaird to take chances.

Agreed. Iron Maiden's stuff is still extremely strong, IMO. They're not even close to being finished. I think Judas Priest can come back as they've always rebounded strongly from lesser albums.

For me the two that stand out the most as being finished are Ozzy and Anthrax.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: What band or bands do you consider washed up?   What band or bands do you consider washed up? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 9:54 am

sheets wrote:
Anthrax.

Ooh yea, I am surprised I didn't think of them right off. Put a fork in them boys, they're done.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: What band or bands do you consider washed up?   What band or bands do you consider washed up? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 10:23 am

Ozzy.

I buy every new studio album, hoping it's gonna be good and ultimately, they fail to deliver or have any legs after a few spins. As far as I'm concerned, his last great album was No More Tears. The only hope, as far as I can see, is to get rid of Zakk. Maybe some fresh blood could inject some new creativity.

Aerosmith.

They've had a great run, their 70's output is classic, but since Pump, they'e seemed to fall into "hit making" format. While I enjoy Honkin' on Bobo, their other albums just don't hold up that well. Like Ozzy, I'll continue to purchase their new stuff, but I'm not getting my hopes up on getting another classic. I really think they're done.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: What band or bands do you consider washed up?   What band or bands do you consider washed up? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 10:47 am

I wish Aerosmith would dump the outside songwriters and make an album similar to what they did in the 70's, I am sure they are capable of making albums better than 'Just Push Play'.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What band or bands do you consider washed up?   What band or bands do you consider washed up? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 10:50 am

Quote :
I wish Aerosmith would ...make an album similar to what they did in the 70's

Including having Dick Wagner and Steve Hunter play the guitar parts? Smile
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: What band or bands do you consider washed up?   What band or bands do you consider washed up? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 11:00 am

SpectreFate wrote:

...hell, I'd settle for Jimmy Crespo and Rick Dufay Laughing

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: What band or bands do you consider washed up?   What band or bands do you consider washed up? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 11:04 am

SpectreFate wrote:
Quote :
I wish Aerosmith would ...make an album similar to what they did in the 70's

Hush, you!!

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: What band or bands do you consider washed up?   What band or bands do you consider washed up? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 11:18 am

manny wrote:
I wish Aerosmith would dump the outside songwriters and make an album similar to what they did in the 70's, I am sure they are capable of making albums better than 'Just Push Play'.

I agree. And believe me, I don't begrudge Aerosmith's comeback success one bit. Let's face it. They did things "their way" in the 70's and they wound up broke and near death. They were one of the few bands of the 70's to get a 2nd chance and be relevant in the 80's and beyond. So they found a format and they're sticking with it. I'd like to see them ditch the outside writers and just hear the Tyler/Perry dynamic at work again, but I just think that well has run dry and too much money is at stake for record companies to take a chance. They've got a cash-cow with Aerosmith and they want hits. And if that means outside writers and pop record flavor-of-the-day producers, then so be it.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: What band or bands do you consider washed up?   What band or bands do you consider washed up? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 11:27 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:

Aerosmith.

They've had a great run, their 70's output is classic, but since Pump, they'e seemed to fall into "hit making" format. While I enjoy Honkin' on Bobo, their other albums just don't hold up that well. Like Ozzy, I'll continue to purchase their new stuff, but I'm not getting my hopes up on getting another classic. I really think they're done.

It still baffles me that ult defends them with his life, but hates Def Leppard for the same reason most of us dislikes "modern" Aerosmith Very Happy

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1778

PostSubject: Re: What band or bands do you consider washed up?   What band or bands do you consider washed up? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 11:39 am

From the Old Bands, I think Judas Priest would be one of the first bands to drop out. I saw Halford on the Metal Masters tour, and his voice has weakened a lot, he could not pulled out some songs so well, and he can't sing high anymore, at least that is what happened on the show. So I based this as far as live performances
Back to top Go down
Glenn Rogers
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Glenn Rogers

Number of posts : 1069

PostSubject: Re: What band or bands do you consider washed up?   What band or bands do you consider washed up? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 11:47 am

I think alot of the "Reunion Bands" should have never come back...It's is a big trend...
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/finaldecreeofficial/

PostSubject: Re: What band or bands do you consider washed up?   What band or bands do you consider washed up? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 11:56 am

In the history of music countless bands have been declared as "dead" or "washed up", then beat the odds and turned it back around. Some of the artists discussed in this thread could do that very thing, maybe some of the others have run their course. But, I won't pronounce anyone until there's no pulse.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: What band or bands do you consider washed up?   What band or bands do you consider washed up? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 12:03 pm

kmorg wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Aerosmith.

It still baffles me that ult defends them with his life, but hates Def Leppard for the same reason most of us dislikes "modern" Aerosmith Very Happy

Aerosmith is a rock and roll band. Sure, their 70's stuff is my
preference too, but I'll still take even the most pop stuff from albums like "Get A Grip" or "Nine
Lives" over stuff like "Pour Some Sugar On Me" (one of the gayest songs ever written). Hits like "Cryin'" and "Jaded" are nothing more than blues. Aerosmith has always incorporated funk, blues, and heavy rock and roll into their sound and they are still doing that. Sure, they have hits, but there are also hard rock songs like "Attitude Adjustment" and "Something's Gotta Give" as well. "Honkin' on Bobo" is an outstanding album IMO. Sounds like classic Aerosmith to me. What can I say, I like what I like. I like Aerosmith. I'm not a fan of much post-Pyromania Def Leppard.

I'll also take modern Aerosmith over much of modern power metal fluff that people rave about as well.

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: What band or bands do you consider washed up?   What band or bands do you consider washed up? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 12:05 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Quote :
Iron Maiden may be on the border here as well.

I've said it before, but I think the last three IM albums are better than their first 3, so that band is far from washed up, at least in my world.

BLASPHEMY! The first four Iron Maiden albums are their best. They've not been able to deliver anything with the same intensity ever since. I like all Iron Maiden, including the last three, but they certainly don't have the same energy IMO.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: What band or bands do you consider washed up?   What band or bands do you consider washed up? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 12:36 pm

ultmetal wrote:
kmorg wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Aerosmith.

preference too, but I'll still take even the most pop stuff from albums like "Get A Grip" or "Nine
Lives" over stuff like "Pour Some Sugar On Me" (one of the gayest songs ever written). Hits like "Cryin'" and "Jaded" are nothing more than blues. Aerosmith has always incorporated funk, blues, and heavy rock and roll into their sound and they are still doing that. Sure, they have hits, but there are also hard rock songs like "Attitude Adjustment" and "Something's Gotta Give" as well. "Honkin' on Bobo" is an outstanding album IMO. Sounds like classic Aerosmith to me. What can I say, I like what I like. I like Aerosmith. I'm not a fan of much post-Pyromania Def Leppard.

I'll also take modern Aerosmith over much of modern power metal fluff that people rave about as well.

Def Leppard has NEVER released anything even remotely as bad as "I don't wanna miss a thing"! Even "Slang" has more integrity, no make that loads more intergirty, than said atrocity! Very Happy

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: What band or bands do you consider washed up?   What band or bands do you consider washed up? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 12:47 pm

kmorg wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
kmorg wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Aerosmith.

Def Leppard has NEVER released anything even remotely as bad as "I don't wanna miss a thing"! Even "Slang" has more integrity, no make that loads more intergirty, than said atrocity! Very Happy

The difference is that Don't Wanna Miss A Thing was a total fluke. It was a song written by Diane Warren that the band was asked by Sony to record for a movie soundtrack. It was not recorded for an actual Aerosmith album. No one ever expected it to be the hit is was. It's part of their catalog, so I accept it as such, but I'm not really a fan of that song. Still, I'll take that nauseatingly bad ballad over most of Def Leppard's drivel.

Tyler's vocals are fantastic. I love his bluesy, gruff sound. Elliot's vocals are always fake, layered and/or processed. They have been since Pyromania. His most honest vocal performance is probably the stuff they recorded on their recent tribute CD.

I'm not a huge fan of Martin Popoff's writing, but even he gives high marks to Aerosmith albums in his Heavy Metal Collector's Guide series, while giving much of the Def Leppard catalog a big fat "0".

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: What band or bands do you consider washed up?   What band or bands do you consider washed up? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 12:58 pm

I think I've touched a nerve here. Very Happy

I saw Def Leppard live last years, and they sounded great, vocals and all. I'm not their biggest fan, not do I like everything they've put out. And I certainly think that they have "sold out", to use a common term. But I've always lumped Aerosmith in the same "sold out" category, and for similar reasons. I guess I just prefer Def Leppard over Aerosmith.

Taste is like a**holes........ Everbody's got one, and everyone elses smells!

lol!

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: What band or bands do you consider washed up?   What band or bands do you consider washed up? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 1:00 pm

ultmetal wrote:
SpectreFate wrote:

I've said it before, but I think the last three IM albums are better than their first 3, so that band is far from washed up, at least in my world.

BLASPHEMY!

Agreed!!!
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: What band or bands do you consider washed up?   What band or bands do you consider washed up? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 1:07 pm

I don't mind Aerosmith's post 'Pump' material, but I have to agree with Metalguy, the label knows they have a cash cow and they do not want to mess with a winning formula when it comes to Aerosmith, 'Honkin on Bobo' was a great album, and one where Aerosmith did their way and it sold only a fraction of what their other albums did, while I am sure Aerosmith could careless their label I am sure feels different. Other than 'I Don't Want to Miss A Thing' I donot think Aerosmith have done anything to hurt their legacy or I would term a sell out. I just personally feel that these guys on their own could write better tunes than the ones they have written with the various song doctors they have worked with.

I like most of Def Leppard's catalog, and they choose to go a poppier direction and for better or worse, that is the kind of music they want to concentrate on doing, personally I felt 'Sparkle ..' while not a complete return to form, it is still a good album.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What band or bands do you consider washed up?   What band or bands do you consider washed up? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 1:24 pm

Anthrax is the easy answer.

I liked Unbreakable by the Scorps so I can't say they're dead yet.
The new Def Leppard is a good pop metal record even if most don't like that direction by them. And PSSOM was a stupid song but so was Pink by Aerosmith.
Judas Priest will bounce back.
Iron Maiden is far from dead.

I wonder about Iced Earth?
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: What band or bands do you consider washed up?   What band or bands do you consider washed up? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 1:27 pm

Like Riders on the Storm, Thin Lizzy without Phil is not Thin Lizzy, call it a day or change their name, I am glad these guys feel the need to honor Phil Lynott's legacy but this is not Thin Lizzy.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: What band or bands do you consider washed up?   What band or bands do you consider washed up? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 1:28 pm

TheNazgul wrote:

Good one... their last couple of albums have been snoozers. I'd say if Schaffer would get over his "I wanna be epic like Blind Guardian" fixation and concentrate on delivering a killer album next time around (minus all the conceptual X-Files/alien invasion crap) then there may be life in IE yet. I haven't totally written them off yet but if they release a part III to that damn "Something Wicked" saga next time out I'm sayin' "Check please!"

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: What band or bands do you consider washed up?   What band or bands do you consider washed up? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 1:31 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
TheNazgul wrote:

Good one... their last couple of albums have been snoozers. I'd say if Schaffer would get over his "I wanna be epic like Blind Guardian" fixation and concentrate on delivering a killer album next time around (minus all the conceptual X-Files/alien invasion crap) then there may be life in IE yet. I haven't totally written them off yet but if they release a part III to that damn "Something Wicked" saga next time out I'm sayin' "Check please!"

Ditto!

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: What band or bands do you consider washed up?   What band or bands do you consider washed up? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 1:32 pm

I'm adding Guardian to this list! Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: What band or bands do you consider washed up?   What band or bands do you consider washed up? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 1:38 pm

They died a long time ago.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What band or bands do you consider washed up?   What band or bands do you consider washed up? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What band or bands do you consider washed up?
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next