Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

It's a Rage thread.

Go down 
+10
DallasBlack
krokus
stepcousin
sam
GrandNational
A Handful of Wayne
Fat Freddy
Lurideath
MetalGuy71
scottmitchell74
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

It's a Rage thread. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: It's a Rage thread.   It's a Rage thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2009 10:37 am

why does everyone hate "Secrets In A Weird World"? I bought it the day it came out and liked it alot. It sounds just like the other 80's Rage, maybe a little less agressive and a bit more "happy", but nothing like "Reflections", now that was not a great album.

Alot of people buy an album 5 or 10 years after it's release and judge it, but ya know, you really gotta be there in the era it comes out to fully appreciate it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: It's a Rage thread.   It's a Rage thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2009 12:53 pm

Quote :
I don't care for Reflections or Secrets, to be honest, but Missing Link and Trapped are masterpieces, IMO. Manny Schmidt really came into his own on those albums.

Word.

Though to appease Uncle who seems about ready to have a serious bowel movement in his shorts, I do like Execution. Good, dirty, speed metal.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: It's a Rage thread.   It's a Rage thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2009 2:48 pm

stepcousin wrote:
why does everyone hate "Secrets In A Weird World"? I bought it the day it came out and liked it alot. It sounds just like the other 80's Rage, maybe a little less agressive and a bit more "happy", but nothing like "Reflections", now that was not a great album.

Alot of people buy an album 5 or 10 years after it's release and judge it, but ya know, you really gotta be there in the era it comes out to fully appreciate it.

I agree with you about SECRETS IN A WEIRD WORLD, like it very much.
To be honest, i didnt give much about RAGE after GHOST, but their last album CARVED IN STONE realy made me believe in the band again. I think its just a great album. Still, my fave are their first albums, from the 80s.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: It's a Rage thread.   It's a Rage thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 12:09 pm

Big THANKS to Phoenix Wayne and the beautiful Rage compilation he sent me. What was expected to be a single disc cdr of their "hits" was in reality a 3-disc anthology covering their career from '86 to '08.

Thanks, dude, I owe ya one.

PostSubject: Re: It's a Rage thread.   It's a Rage thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 2:05 pm

Nice. What do you think?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: It's a Rage thread.   It's a Rage thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 2:35 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
Nice. What do you think?

I'm digging it big time. I'm still on disc 1. I had it cranked for proper listening purposes, but then other folks came into the room and I've got to keep it reasonable. This type of music demands to be played LOUD!

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: It's a Rage thread.   It's a Rage thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 4:55 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
I hated how half the album had the orchestra then the other half didnt and the half that didnt the songs suffered from it. Either do the whole album with the orchestra or not at all ooooooor maybe even on a couple of songs but dont do half a album with it and then never do it again.

That's the problem I had with Dream Theater-Score, I wish they had done the whole thing with the orchestra. The only Rage I have is Carved In Stone (thanks to a song PRD sent me in the comp swap) and I really enjoy it.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

PostSubject: Re: It's a Rage thread.   It's a Rage thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 8:20 pm

You really need more. Most can be had pretty cheap online.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: It's a Rage thread.   It's a Rage thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 8:53 pm

TheNazgul wrote:

If you're refering to me, I assure you they are on my wantlist but so are hundreds of other albums and bands. My money situation needs to improve and by then there will be no way I could catch up completly. My only hope is to find some Rage albums in the used stores. Otherwise they'll have to wait.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: It's a Rage thread.   It's a Rage thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 11:27 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Big THANKS to Phoenix Wayne and the beautiful Rage compilation he sent me. What was expected to be a single disc cdr of their "hits" was in reality a 3-disc anthology covering their career from '86 to '08.

Thanks, dude, I owe ya one.

No problem! I was more than happy to hook you up headbanger

PostSubject: Re: It's a Rage thread.   It's a Rage thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 3:46 am

DallasBlack wrote:
TheNazgul wrote:

If you're refering to me, I assure you they are on my wantlist but so are hundreds of other albums and bands. My money situation needs to improve and by then there will be no way I could catch up completly. My only hope is to find some Rage albums in the used stores. Otherwise they'll have to wait.

Or you could just find some good old thrash for your favorite uncle and trade away! I got sucked into believing that my pet "Peav" was gonna go back to the roots more times than I like to admit. So I have a bunch of garbage you would probably appreciate, DB. Pm me if interested.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: It's a Rage thread.   It's a Rage thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 1:16 pm

Garbage? If you weren't such a Wayne fan i'd have to put you on ignore.

just kidding
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: It's a Rage thread.   It's a Rage thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 1:21 pm

Sax will probably flay me alive for saying so, but I heard a couple of the early Rage albums (REIGN OF FEAR and I think PERFECT MAN) back in the late 80s (scored'em on cassette from a cut out bin if memory serves) and didn't dig'em at all. Peavy could NOT sing on those early records!! He sounded like John Gallagher (Raven) and Geddy Lee had a love child, whose gonads were being nibbled by rabid weasels. Great musically but the vocals made those records totally unlistenable for me.

I passed over Rage for a long time after that first exposure but got curious about'em again in the 90s, on a whim I picked up a copy of "XIII" when Tower Records had a clearance sale and liked that one a lot. Peavy must've taken some vocal lessons in the intervening years. Since then I've acquired and liked the MISSING LINK, UNITY and SOUNDCHASER discs and the FROM THE CRADLE TO THE STAGE live 2-CD. I'd like to get more of their latter era material but lack of $$, as ever, has prevented me from expanding my Rage collection beyond those.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: It's a Rage thread.   It's a Rage thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 1:26 pm

Quote :
Since then I've acquired and liked the MISSING
LINK, UNITY and SOUNDCHASER discs and the FROM THE CRADLE TO THE STAGE
live 2-CD.

That's some of that "garbage" that Sax speaks about. But iin my distinguished colleague's defense, the band was soo different on the earlier discs than they are now, or even were in the mid nineties. I got into them around the time of Perfect Man and loved that album, but didn't like much else until I heard Missing Link and Trapped. I have been addicted ever since. The orchestra stuff has the ability to turn off alot of people, but I've grown to enjoy it.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: It's a Rage thread.   It's a Rage thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 1:29 pm

I keep hearing how "TRAPPED" is not only Rage's best, but one of the best metal albums of the early 90s, but I've never had the chance to check that one out. I don't mind the orchestral stuff, the XIII album is performed with the orchestra backing them on most, if not all, of the tracks (except the bonus track, which is a godawful atrocious cover of Rush's "Tom Sawyer").

People gave Metallica tons of credit for being "brilliant" when they did the S&M album and doing something that no other metal band had done before, but Rage started dabbling in it several years before them. And even then, S&M was mainly "covers" of Metallica songs with an orchestral background... Rage's XIII was all new material.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: It's a Rage thread.   It's a Rage thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 1:31 pm

Quote :
but Rage started dabbling in it several years before them

Influenced by what Jon Oliva was doing, I would bet.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: It's a Rage thread.   It's a Rage thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 1:40 pm

Why doesn't Jon get more credit for doing that. The man has been an inovator all his life.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: It's a Rage thread.   It's a Rage thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 1:44 pm

I didnt really care for Reign Of Fear or Execution Guaranteed either but the album Perfect Man is awesome. I almost had half the album to put on MG's compilation I made him but I had to take a lot off. At first I didnt care a lot for the sound of the album but after I kept listening to it, it grew on me and its more about the actually songs than the way the album sounds. Just like Black in Mind and especially Welcome To The Other Side those albums sound horrible but yet the songs on those album are catchy enough to look past all it and thats something atleast for me thats rare. The orchestra stuff is even good too the only one I really dont like at all is Lingua Mortis. The orchestra is blasted over the real music to the point where you cant even hear it and a lot of the orchestrations didnt mesh well with the music. I saved you from having to hear that MG haha. Otherwise this band is great and gets better and better with each release.

I was thinking though, what if they had the same line up since day one? Do you think that they would have gotten as far as they are now? A lot of people have been in and out of this band so there are so many influences on each release which is what helped them to grow. Victor Smolksi is a great guitarist and since hes been in the band they have just blown me away. He seems a little bit of a show off though but what guitarist with his talent isnt? haha

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: It's a Rage thread.   It's a Rage thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 7:51 pm

UNCLE SAXON wrote:
[Or you could just find some good old thrash for your favorite uncle and trade away!

Appreciate the offer Sax, but I doubt I have anything that'd interest you or that you don't already have but if I find any thrash in my searches through the used bins I'll check back with you.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: It's a Rage thread.   It's a Rage thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 8:48 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
UNCLE SAXON wrote:
[Or you could just find some good old thrash for your favorite uncle and trade away!

Appreciate the offer Sax, but I doubt I have anything that'd interest you or that you don't already have but if I find any thrash in my searches through the used bins I'll check back with you.

Good enough.

And the rest of you's, well....

It's a Rage thread. - Page 2 17574-Clipart-Illustration-Of-A-Mean-Old-Caucasian-Lady-With-Gray-Hair-Flipping-Off-The-Viewer
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Number of posts : 2206

PostSubject: Re: It's a Rage thread.   It's a Rage thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 10:21 pm

Rage is highly overrated, IMO. I've owned Rage albums and they played at PPUSA, but it's just not my thing. sign lame
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PostSubject: Re: It's a Rage thread.   It's a Rage thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 11:11 pm

I'm with UncleSax, the first three are excellence, the rest is....

It's a Rage thread. - Page 2 17574-Clipart-Illustration-Of-A-Mean-Old-Caucasian-Lady-With-Gray-Hair-Flipping-Off-The-Viewer

...in respect to the younger members, I'll leave it at that.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

PostSubject: Re: It's a Rage thread.   It's a Rage thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 7:14 pm

I don't know where all the dislike comes from. I have all their releases (including the Avenger releases) and think they are all awesome. Not a weak one in there (except maybe the Lingua Mortis live cd-not my thing) amd Secrets In A Weird World is my favorite. Invisible Horizons,Time Waits For No One,and Make My Day all rule
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: It's a Rage thread.   It's a Rage thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 9:38 pm

007 wrote:
I don't know where all the dislike comes from. I have all their releases (including the Avenger releases) and think they are all awesome. Not a weak one in there (except maybe the Lingua Mortis live cd-not my thing) amd Secrets In A Weird World is my favorite. Invisible Horizons,Time Waits For No One,and Make My Day all rule

Well, what does a 40 year old know any way?
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: It's a Rage thread.   It's a Rage thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2009 5:04 pm

So MG did you ever get a chance to listen to the other 2 discs? What do you think?

PostSubject: Re: It's a Rage thread.   It's a Rage thread. - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

It's a Rage thread.
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next