Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

SHOTGUN MESSIAH

Go down 
+12
ZombieHavoc
muckie
corplhicks
Witchfinder
Thrasher73
manny
MetalGuy71
tohostudios
Troublezone
Fat Freddy
7thSaviour
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

SHOTGUN MESSIAH - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: SHOTGUN MESSIAH   SHOTGUN MESSIAH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2015 8:08 pm

This is my favorite from Violent New Breed (I think it's also the closest tie to their previous sound):

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40544

PostSubject: Re: SHOTGUN MESSIAH   SHOTGUN MESSIAH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2015 8:36 pm

That stuff sounds pretty good !
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: SHOTGUN MESSIAH   SHOTGUN MESSIAH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2015 8:52 pm

"Violent New Breed" led me to KMFDM's "Nihil" album and Gravity Kill's S/T.  Then it was Ministry, Stabbing Westward, Skinny Puppy, Skew and a host of other industrial metal bands. 

Ironically, the singer on "Violent New Breed" ended up joining KMFDM and Marilyn Manson later.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: SHOTGUN MESSIAH   SHOTGUN MESSIAH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2015 10:49 pm

Figures the s/t debut is getting re-issued. After I recently paid too much for an original. angry I've had Second Coming for the longest time. It's a good one. Like many others, I didn't care much for the industrial switcheroo of Violent New Breed. It's the least played of all their discs.

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: SHOTGUN MESSIAH   SHOTGUN MESSIAH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2015 12:23 am

I've never even heard their industrial records. Was a fan of the debut as a kid, recently found it at a Goodwill and enjoyed it on the revisit.
Back to top Go down
muckie
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
muckie

Number of posts : 493

PostSubject: Re: SHOTGUN MESSIAH   SHOTGUN MESSIAH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2015 2:46 am

I have only heard the first album and liked it for the most part. Although to be honest, I was not exactly flattered when the singer describes himself (in "I'm a gun") as a so-called "Jesus f*ckin' overdrive". A very pretentious, very 90's attempt to come across as a badass. However, because of this, I mostly took it in jest and shrugged it off. I do particularly like the last song, "I come in peace". It always reminded me of the ending song to some 90's action movie.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: SHOTGUN MESSIAH   SHOTGUN MESSIAH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2015 9:13 am

I feel it's more important to mention they are reissuing the Slave Raider albums! Those things have seemed impossible to come by.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37868

PostSubject: Re: SHOTGUN MESSIAH   SHOTGUN MESSIAH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2015 9:21 am

Quote :
I have only heard the first album and liked it for the most part. Although to be honest, I was not exactly flattered when the singer describes himself (in "I'm a gun") as a so-called "Jesus f*ckin' overdrive". A very pretentious, very 90's attempt to come across as a badass.

I think you mean the "third" album (Violent New Breed)?

Quote :
I feel it's more important to mention they are reissuing the Slave Raider albums! Those things have seemed impossible to come by.

(shrugs) Never liked Slave Raider much. Unca Sax is big on 'em tho.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: SHOTGUN MESSIAH   SHOTGUN MESSIAH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2015 12:01 pm

corplhicks wrote:
I've never even heard their industrial records. Was a fan of the debut as a kid, recently found it at a Goodwill and enjoyed it on the revisit.

They only did one album (Violent New Breed) that had the industrial sound. Their first 2 albums and ep all had the same glammy/hard rock sound that fans enjoyed. You might say that that VNB was ahead of it's time, but it was just too much of a departure from their older material that it wasn't going to be accepted by fans, no matter what it sounded like. Looking back now, it probably would have been been wiser to release it under a different name or as a side solo-project.

If I recall, around that time, the band also tried to downplay or outright deny their hair-metal past and that never goes over well with fans. Just as Def Leppard or Pantera Razz

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: SHOTGUN MESSIAH   SHOTGUN MESSIAH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2015 12:16 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
Are these going to be remastered/remixed?

I already have Second Coming on CD and I never was a fan of the S/T which I have on vinyl.  I might consider buying Second Coming if it's remastered/mixed.

My favorite Shotgun Messiah album is actually the third one that everyone hates.

Divebomb sez they've both been remastered, for whatever that's worth. No bonus tracks tho. I was kinda hoping that they might tack the songs from the I Want More EP to the back of Second Coming....no such luck.

I was never crazy about the self titled back in the day either (that Zinny Zan dude couldn't carry a tune in a bucket) so I was gonna pass on that re-ish, but just outta curiosity I listened to a couple of tunes from it on YouTube and they were better than I remembered, so I went "Ehhhh, what the hell" and ordered that one too.

Besides, the first 100 people who order both CDs get a free S.M. logo magnet! Think how METAL that'll look on my fridge if I'm one of the lucky 100! Laughing very hard

Does the s/t debut re-issue come with a Shotgun Messiah stencil like the original? I remember back when I worked in a supermarket, a guy I worked with used it to spray paint his jeans with a bunch of SM logos. Laughing

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: SHOTGUN MESSIAH   SHOTGUN MESSIAH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2015 12:45 pm

I think the logo magnet is meant to be an homage to the old stencil.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: SHOTGUN MESSIAH   SHOTGUN MESSIAH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2015 11:28 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

They only did one album (Violent New Breed) that had the industrial sound. Their first 2 albums and ep all had the same glammy/hard rock sound that fans enjoyed. You might say that that VNB was ahead of it's time, but it was just too much of a departure from their older material that it wasn't going to be accepted by fans, no matter what it sounded like. Looking back now, it probably would have been been wiser to release it under a different name or as a side solo-project.

If I recall, around that time, the band also tried to downplay or outright deny their hair-metal past and that never goes over well with fans. Just as Def Leppard or Pantera Razz

Good info, props. I'm listening to VNB now and I'm pleasantly surprised. It's certainly metal even with all the electronica, yet still so far removed from everything before it. I kinda dig it. Ahead of its time is about right.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: SHOTGUN MESSIAH   SHOTGUN MESSIAH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2015 1:09 pm

I'll have to pull out Violent New Breed and give it a fresh spin, it's been awhile. Maybe it'll fare better than I remember the first go 'round.

It just seemed like such a radical departure from the albums that preceded it, it's hard to think of it as the same band and therefore not the one I go to when I'm in the mood for some Shotgun Messiah.

Metal student
Metal student
Infinite

Number of posts : 169

PostSubject: Re: SHOTGUN MESSIAH   SHOTGUN MESSIAH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2015 2:12 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Figures the s/t debut is getting re-issued. After I recently paid too much for an original. angry

You're probably better off with the original anyway. 90% of remasters are a harsh, maxed-out mess.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: SHOTGUN MESSIAH   SHOTGUN MESSIAH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2015 4:28 pm

Tim Skold went on to be in KMFDM and Marilyn Manson as well as putting out some solo material. All industrial.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: SHOTGUN MESSIAH   SHOTGUN MESSIAH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2015 4:56 pm

The Shotgun Messiah reissues Divebomb just did look and sound great!!!

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: SHOTGUN MESSIAH   SHOTGUN MESSIAH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2015 11:32 am

Just got my confirmation e-mail from Divebomb/Tribunal sayin' that my Shotgun Messiah discs have shipped. Happy Cheese Dance time!! :cheese:

Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23270

PostSubject: Re: SHOTGUN MESSIAH   SHOTGUN MESSIAH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 8:57 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Just got my confirmation e-mail from Divebomb/Tribunal sayin' that my Shotgun Messiah discs have shipped.  Happy Cheese Dance time!! :cheese:

got mine and they are very good!

MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: SHOTGUN MESSIAH   SHOTGUN MESSIAH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 1:40 pm

I pulled out Violent New Breed this week and my original opinion still holds. It's not quite as bad as I first thought, but still too far removed from what I expect to hear if I'm playing Shotgun Messiah.

I also ripped all of their albums to my computer and when I shuffled them all up, I thought "Hey, who slipped this Marilyn Manson song into my SM playlist?"

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: SHOTGUN MESSIAH   SHOTGUN MESSIAH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 6:10 pm

Yeah I can understand that.  VNB is absolutely nothing like the first two SM albums.  It's still my favorite but I get why a lot of people don't like it.

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23270

PostSubject: Re: SHOTGUN MESSIAH   SHOTGUN MESSIAH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2015 5:12 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Yeah I can understand that.  VNB is absolutely nothing like the first two SM albums.  It's still my favorite but I get why a lot of people don't like it.

its ok. I still think the first 2 are fantastic. VNB is a total change in sound that didnt fit the image.

Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: SHOTGUN MESSIAH   SHOTGUN MESSIAH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2015 11:07 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Tim Skold went on to be in KMFDM and Marilyn Manson as well as putting out some solo material.  All industrial.

Dude's a legend.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: SHOTGUN MESSIAH   SHOTGUN MESSIAH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2015 2:18 pm

Getting my hands on the S.M. Divebomb reissues inspired my latest blah-de-blah on my blog:

SHOTGUN MESSIAH - Page 3 12439666_f520

http://fatfreddyscat.hubpages.com/hub/Forgotten-Hard-Rock-Albums-The-SHOTGUN-MESSIAH-Discography

Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7630

PostSubject: Re: SHOTGUN MESSIAH   SHOTGUN MESSIAH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2015 2:55 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Getting my hands on the S.M. Divebomb reissues inspired my latest blah-de-blah on my blog:

SHOTGUN MESSIAH - Page 3 12439666_f520

http://fatfreddyscat.hubpages.com/hub/Forgotten-Hard-Rock-Albums-The-SHOTGUN-MESSIAH-Discography

Nice write up. I have the I Want More EP on cassette. Someday I'll upgrade to CD.

Is it just me, or does Violent New Breed still sound like Shotgun Messiah with some industrial effects layered on top? It still has loads of those quality glam metal hooks, which is probably why I like it.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: SHOTGUN MESSIAH   SHOTGUN MESSIAH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2015 4:18 pm

Quote :
Is it just me, or does Violent New Breed still sound like Shotgun Messiah with some industrial effects layered on top? It still has loads of those quality glam metal hooks, which is probably why I like it.

Harry Cody's guitar is still prominent on the V.N.B. stuff, so it still has that "metal" edge to it in spite of all the techno-electro noodling going on around it.

You can hear the difference if you check out Tim Skold's debut as a solo artist ("Skold," 1996)... which is way more cold and sterile (i.e. proper "industrial" sounding) than VNB.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SHOTGUN MESSIAH   SHOTGUN MESSIAH - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SHOTGUN MESSIAH
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next