Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Japanese Spider-Man

Go down 
+2
Fat Freddy
Svengo
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Svengo
Metal master
Metal master
Svengo

Number of posts : 967

Japanese Spider-Man Empty
PostSubject: Japanese Spider-Man   Japanese Spider-Man Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2009 5:47 pm

Apparently this ran in Japan in 1978-79 for something like 40 episodes.

Kinda surreal.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Japanese Spider-Man   Japanese Spider-Man Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2009 8:33 pm

Laughing very hard That's awesome. Love that ginchy theme music... and of course, since it's Japanese, it's gotta have a giant robot in it somewhere, right? Laughing

I'm a huge Spidey geek but I'd never heard about this. I do remember the cheesy-but-cool American TV version that lasted about a season and a half circa 1977-78 though.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Japanese Spider-Man   Japanese Spider-Man Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2009 9:43 pm

Great, now I got track a down a copy of this. lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
Svengo
Metal master
Metal master
Svengo

PostSubject: Re: Japanese Spider-Man   Japanese Spider-Man Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2009 9:45 pm

After doing a little more searching online I found out that Marvel had licensed Spidey to this Japanese company for a four year period with no stipulations on how they presented the character other than his look.

Needless to say, the stories in this show bear no resemblance to actual Spidey tales. I watched one of the full episodes I found and it was absolutely hilarious.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Japanese Spider-Man   Japanese Spider-Man Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2009 9:45 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Laughing very hard That's awesome. Love that ginchy theme music... and of course, since it's Japanese, it's gotta have a giant robot in it somewhere, right? Laughing

I'm a huge Spidey geek but I'd never heard about this. I do remember the cheesy-but-cool American TV version that lasted about a season and a half circa 1977-78 though.

Yea I remember that one too. I saw it on repeats somehow cause I wasnt born when it came out. Are you sure this isnt something someone just made up and spliced together 2 videos, because I dont think they would have a huge robot on spider man even though it was in Japan haha. I think that robot scene is from another movie called Mighty Jack, but I could be wrong. Toho would probably know if this is real or not.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Japanese Spider-Man   Japanese Spider-Man Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2009 9:46 pm

I guess nevermind anything I said lol

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Japanese Spider-Man   Japanese Spider-Man Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2009 10:50 pm

I liked this video so much that I posted it on my Facebook page ...within two minutes, several of my friends had commented "WTF?" and "this is the greatest thing I've ever seen." Haha.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Japanese Spider-Man   Japanese Spider-Man Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 9:35 am

Spider-Man wasn't the only American superhero to receive a bizarre foreign film adaptation... check out the Turkish version of "Superman" Laughing very hard

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Japanese Spider-Man   Japanese Spider-Man Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 9:52 am

I was just thinking, imagine when the first "Spider-Man" movie opened in Japan a few years back, people must've been going "Hey, this is nothing like the old TV show I remember... where's the giant robot? I HATE when movies are not faithful to the source material!" Laughing very hard

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Japanese Spider-Man   Japanese Spider-Man Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 11:07 am

Here's a few more foreign rip-offs. Bizarrely hilarious stuff...

http://www.cracked.com/article_16704_9-foreign-rip-offs-cooler-than-hollywood-originals.html

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Japanese Spider-Man   Japanese Spider-Man Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 11:16 am

Found a Japanese TV commercial for the "Spider-Man" robot toys. I can't understand a thing Spidey says of course but I imagine it's something along the lines of "Hi kids! Buy my robot! Domo Arigato!"

Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Japanese Spider-Man   Japanese Spider-Man Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 1:13 pm

Always with the giant mechanical beasts throughout a skyscraper village.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Japanese Spider-Man   Japanese Spider-Man Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 8:28 am

sam wrote:

According to Wikipedia, the entire series was released on DVD (in Japan) in a 7-disc box set!

Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Japanese Spider-Man   Japanese Spider-Man Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 2:41 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
sam wrote:

According to Wikipedia, the entire series was released on DVD (in Japan) in a 7-disc box set!

AHHHHHHHHH!!!!! DON'T ENCOURAGE ME!!!!!!

lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
Svengo
Metal master
Metal master
Svengo

PostSubject: Re: Japanese Spider-Man   Japanese Spider-Man Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 4:29 pm

I think I've found why stuff about this series is popping up online of late.

It seems that Marvel has recently purchased the rights to this series from the Japanese company who owns it and is going to post it one episode per week on the Marvel.com website for free viewing. Maybe this means there will be an english sub-titled set released soon.

We can only hope so.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Japanese Spider-Man   Japanese Spider-Man Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 4:42 pm

sam wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
sam wrote:

AHHHHHHHHH!!!!! DON'T ENCOURAGE ME!!!!!!

lol!

Here's a bootleg of the show:

http://steelcage.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=3816246
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Japanese Spider-Man   Japanese Spider-Man Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 1:47 pm

Svengo wrote:

It seems that Marvel has recently purchased the rights to this series from the Japanese company who owns it and is going to post it one episode per week on the Marvel.com website for free viewing.

Here's a link to the first episode on Marvel's site. You all gotta see this thing. Even with sub-titles, it makes little to no sense. Laughing

http://www.marvel.com/videos/563.Japanese_Spider-Man%2C_Episode_01

They've got the first three episodes on site right now.

Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Japanese Spider-Man   Japanese Spider-Man Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 4:43 pm

Svengo wrote:
I think I've found why stuff about this series is popping up online of late.

It seems that Marvel has recently purchased the rights to this series from the Japanese company who owns it and is going to post it one episode per week on the Marvel.com website for free viewing. Maybe this means there will be an english sub-titled set released soon.

We can only hope so.

I started watching an episode on Marvel.com, and I couldn't get past the intro. I've seen too many shows in my time that feature giant mechanical monsters.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Japanese Spider-Man   Japanese Spider-Man Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 6:44 pm

EvyMetal wrote:

I started watching an episode on Marvel.com, and I couldn't get past the intro. I've seen too many shows in my time that feature giant mechanical monsters.

You should've watched till the end. In addition to the giant mechanical monster, you get telepathic talking spiders, troops of ninjas that backflip in unison, and hot Japanese chicks. Totally worth wasting 24 minutes of your life on.

By the way, I also watched Episode 2 and when it was time for Giant Robot Action, those scenes were already recycled from Episode 1! I guess they only had enough budget to shoot those scenes once! Laughing very hard

I'm totally lovin' the Japanese Spider-Man. Note the new avatar! I plan to watch each new episode as they add'em to Marvel.com.

Back to top Go down
Svengo
Metal master
Metal master
Svengo

PostSubject: Re: Japanese Spider-Man   Japanese Spider-Man Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 7:47 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
/>By the way, I also watched Episode 2 and when it was time for Giant Robot Action, those scenes were already recycled from Episode 1! I guess they only had enough budget to shoot those scenes once! Laughing very hard

I'm totally lovin' the Japanese Spider-Man. Note the new avatar! I plan to watch each new episode as they add'em to Marvel.com.

I guess you could think of those recycled scenes as sort of an "homage" to the old Spider-man cartoon that ran from 1967-70. I swear, I think some episodes of that series had only about 5 minutes of new footage.
Of all the cartoons I've seen over the years it certainly ranks right up there with the old DC SuperFriends cartoon for recycled scenes.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Japanese Spider-Man   Japanese Spider-Man Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 7:59 pm

Svengo wrote:

I guess you could think of those recycled scenes as sort of an "homage" to the old Spider-man cartoon that ran from 1967-70. I swear, I think some episodes of that series had only about 5 minutes of new footage.
Of all the cartoons I've seen over the years it certainly ranks right up there with the old DC SuperFriends cartoon for recycled scenes.

Well, yeah, Super Friends was a product of the Hanna-Barbera toon factory, who were notorious for makin'em quick and makin' em cheap.

Back to top Go down
Svengo
Metal master
Metal master
Svengo

PostSubject: Re: Japanese Spider-Man   Japanese Spider-Man Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 8:09 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

Well, yeah, Super Friends was a product of the Hanna-Barbera toon factory, who were notorious for makin'em quick and makin' em cheap.

I remember watching a SuperFriends episode not too long ago where Aquaman is in some sort of trouble and the SuperFriends begin discussing how they're going to save him. The recycled scene they use for this discussion shows all of the SuperFriends in the Hall of Justice including Aquaman standing right next to them.

Ya gotta love that stuff!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Japanese Spider-Man   Japanese Spider-Man Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 12:00 pm

Svengo wrote:

I remember watching a SuperFriends episode not too long ago where Aquaman is in some sort of trouble and the SuperFriends begin discussing how they're going to save him. The recycled scene they use for this discussion shows all of the SuperFriends in the Hall of Justice including Aquaman standing right next to them.

Ya gotta love that stuff!

Laughing very hard Yea, that sounds typical of "Super Friends." Either the guy in the editing room was asleep, or they figured "Ehh, screw it, the kids watching this will be so jacked up on sugary cereal that they'll never notice"

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Japanese Spider-Man   Japanese Spider-Man Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 12:07 pm

In some of the openings of Super Friends they show Aquaman and Wonder Woman flying along with Batman and Superman. Of course we all know that Aquaman, Wonder Woman and Batman cannot fly.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Japanese Spider-Man   Japanese Spider-Man Icon_minitimeMon Mar 23, 2009 12:25 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
In some of the openings of Super Friends they show Aquaman and Wonder Woman flying along with Batman and Superman. Of course we all know that Aquaman, Wonder Woman and Batman cannot fly.

...maybe they're just reallly good jumpers?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Japanese Spider-Man   Japanese Spider-Man Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Japanese Spider-Man
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next