Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Spider - Classic NWOBHM

Go down 
+3
nevermore
Witchfinder
MetalGuy71
7 posters
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Spider - Classic NWOBHM Empty
PostSubject: Spider - Classic NWOBHM   Spider - Classic NWOBHM Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2014 12:09 pm

Anyone heard of these guys?
Spider - Classic NWOBHM Spider-Rock-N-Roll-Gypsi-597364

Although lumped in with the NWOBHM movement of the late 70's/early 80's, they don't seem to garner much attention, even though they released 3 quality albums.
-Rock n Roll Gypsies
-Rough Justice
-Raise the Banner

They lean a little more towards hard rock than heavy metal by today's standards, but back in the day, they would have, or should have, held their own with other bands of the time.

They have a brief synopsis on Wikipedia, but otherwise I couldn't find much info on the band.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider_(rock_band)

I did recently pick up a 4-cd anthology of the band for fairly cheap on Amazon. It's all 3 of their studio albums with bonus tracks and a 4th disc of rare, early day recordings.

If you like high-energy, hard rockin' melodic, NWOBHM music, I'd recommend them. Go for the box set. It's probably cheaper and easier to find than tracking down the individual albums.

Enjoy!!

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Spider - Classic NWOBHM   Spider - Classic NWOBHM Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2014 12:17 pm

I've heard of them before and they are mentioned in Malc McMillian's amazing NWOBHM Encyclopedia.  I always thought of them as being in the same league as Nutz - an old boogie rock band that strayed into NWOBHM later in their career.  I will add that box set to my list of stuff to get.

Last edited by Witchfinder on Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Spider - Classic NWOBHM   Spider - Classic NWOBHM Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2014 12:25 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
I've heard of them before and they are mentioned in Malc McMillian's amazing NWOBHM Encyclopedia.  I always that of them as being in the same league as Nutz - an old boogie rock band that strayed into NWOBHM later in their career.  I will add that box set to my list of stuff to get.  

They drew comparisons to Status Quo and while I'm not expert on them, I'd say that isn't too far off the mark in the boogie-rock category. The cool thing I'm noticing on listening to their 3 albums is that the quality doesn't drop off too much from 1st to 3rd. I haven't listend to the 4th disc of rarities yet.

With allot of those lesser-known NWOBHM bands, they were only good for maybe the first album or 2. After that, they either imploded or softened their sound and went in a more commercial direction, chasing after the success that Def Leppard acquired. Spider's 1st album is definitely the strongest, but the 2 follow-ups are solid too.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Spider - Classic NWOBHM   Spider - Classic NWOBHM Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2014 12:44 pm

Never heard of them until now. I'll have to add this box set to my ever growing wants list.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Spider - Classic NWOBHM   Spider - Classic NWOBHM Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2014 2:50 pm

Owned some material by these guys on cassette many years ago.

Will bave to check them out again.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Spider - Classic NWOBHM   Spider - Classic NWOBHM Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2014 3:51 pm

Never owned the album but came across them on YouTube a few years back. Good stuff.
Back to top Go down
Nomadic Drifter
Metal novice
Metal novice
Nomadic Drifter

Number of posts : 77

PostSubject: Re: Spider - Classic NWOBHM   Spider - Classic NWOBHM Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2014 2:23 pm

Years ago - 82 til 85 - I spent summers in the UK. Kerrang every two weeks and Friday Rock Show on the BBC1. I used to record the program and keep the songs I liked. (and buy the ones I really liked)

Here we go Rock and Roll was a single and I remember recording it as well as reading about them in Kerrang back then. I remember keeping my recording for a while and I always thought they were a band worth further investigation.

Thanks for the reminder...
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Spider - Classic NWOBHM   Spider - Classic NWOBHM Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2014 2:41 pm

I thought that I'd commented on this thread scratch

I had the first record and liked it well enough, but they weren't really heavy enough for my ever evolving tastes so I never went beyond that with them. The Quo comparisons are spot on.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spider - Classic NWOBHM   Spider - Classic NWOBHM Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Spider - Classic NWOBHM
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: