Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Who/What gives metal a bad rep?

Go down 
+25
Fat Freddy
mc666
Leatherface
sam
kmorg
manny
DallasBlack
SAHB Healer
rattpoison
Lurideath
Troublezone
James B.
candlemass
metalinmyveins
A Handful of Wayne
GrandNational
Required Fields
MetalGuy71
Temple of Blood
TheDoctor'sScarf
Schbopo
tohostudios
Lari
Stender
XYZ
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

Who/What gives metal a bad rep? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who/What gives metal a bad rep?   Who/What gives metal a bad rep? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 9:43 pm

Marc Mason wrote:
Christian Metal gives Real Metal a bad name.

Oh man, this is gonna be good! Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who/What gives metal a bad rep?   Who/What gives metal a bad rep? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 10:25 pm

Schbopo wrote:
Marc Mason wrote:

Oh, man, who'm I gonna fight? You got odds on the bout?
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Who/What gives metal a bad rep?   Who/What gives metal a bad rep? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 10:28 pm

A guy with a BLS avatar doesn't have a leg to stand on when it comes to defining "real metal".

I think even Lurideath might agree with me on that point.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Who/What gives metal a bad rep?   Who/What gives metal a bad rep? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 10:33 pm

Remember guys, I want a clean fight. When I say break, break... I want all punches above the gonads, otherwise it's all good.

Have at it...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who/What gives metal a bad rep?   Who/What gives metal a bad rep? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 10:53 pm

Marc Mason wrote:
Schbopo wrote:
Marc Mason wrote:

Oh, man, who'm I gonna fight? You got odds on the bout?
Yeah, I'll win, and I'm not even a Christian.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Who/What gives metal a bad rep?   Who/What gives metal a bad rep? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 11:29 pm

Marc Mason wrote:
Christian Metal gives Real Metal a bad name. Metal music sprang up as a reaction against a Christian upbringing. The history and the evidence for this is overwhelming. All of the imagery and theological ideas which were thrust upon these kids at a very early age were scary and confusing and left scars which continued into adulthood. All of these ideas about devils and death and violence and the struggle of good vs. evil were a huge chunk of these musician's subconscious minds. Once one of them made Metal an acceptable outlet for the expression of these Christian ideas, the floodgates opened and everyone walked in for their counseling session. But, most definitely, Christianity gave Heavy Metal it's start, and it's face. That's why I always found it odd when preachers and priests made a public display of denouncing it. And, I find it even odder when it's twisted around and made a platform for Christian Theology.
this makes about as much sense as atheism, hedonism, or satanism giving it a bad name. total bullocks.

Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Who/What gives metal a bad rep?   Who/What gives metal a bad rep? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 12:19 am

Quote :

Says the guy that speaks in ebonics. Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who/What gives metal a bad rep?   Who/What gives metal a bad rep? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 3:09 am

[/quote]this makes about as much sense as atheism, hedonism, or satanism giving it a bad name. total bullocks.[/quote]

I'm just looking for a good arguement, friend. And, Christianity seems to be easy pickin's 'cause when you take a good long stare at Metal, it can only lead one to the conclusion that this form would have never existed if not for the existence of Christian Theology. This is a pretty much accepted idea nowadays. We should get that sociologist guy from that Metal documentary on VH1 to hang out here and give us some insight on the matter.

I actually missed my calling in life because I've been told several times that I'm very well suited for that type of intellectual dissection of the various genres of music. Still got some time to switch tracks and start my trek into non-fiction writing. Though, I'd probably do something on Prog before I did an type of study on Metal. Just know more Prog music, I think. I don't know.

I'd say my musical diet and knowledge is pretty evenly distributed between Metal, Progressive Rock and Jazz. But, my Jazz knowledge doesn't go back further than the mid-50's, where everything began getting really good. The period in Jazz between 1957 and 1964 roughly corresponds to the level of creative explosion that took place in Rock between 1966 and 1975. And, there's one thing that all three of these genres share in common. All three are the most 'musical' of all the many genres of music.

Troublezone wrote:
Quote :
Says the guy that speaks in ebonics. Laughing

Ya, but my ebonics tongue gets set aside when I'm ready for a nice, long bout of philosophical wrangling. I used to live for the schitt, friend. Get into the thick of it with someone at a bar, or on the net. Just focus all brain-power on destroying someone's side of an arguement. Just rip it to shreds. Lots of fun to be had with that. But, we're not going to go that route here, because I apologize for my "christianity is bad news for metal" comment. I love Christians....especially with duck sauce and hot mustard...And I love writing posts. Because in the time that I'm taking to type this one up, and a few others, I've already listened to the entire new Candlemass outing....and, ain't that sucka sweet! This one is so very solid. Candlemass and Sabbath are going to own April. April, the Doomonic month.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Who/What gives metal a bad rep?   Who/What gives metal a bad rep? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 5:29 am

Quote :
Metal music sprang up as a reaction against a Christian upbringing. The history and the evidence for this is overwhelming

The origin of metal goes back to the blues rock of players like Clapton, Page and Iommi... not a reaction as you say to a "Christian" upbringing but simply a british interpretation of american blues music. Black Sabbath was the first metal band to use occult/horror imagary and the reason is not what you think. Geezer Butler saw that people pay to see horror movies so he suggested the band try that angle. The rest is history...
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Who/What gives metal a bad rep?   Who/What gives metal a bad rep? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 8:24 am

Troublezone just nailed it.

I think Marc hasn't read the lyrics to "After Forever" in a while ... penned by the founders of heavy metal themselves.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Who/What gives metal a bad rep?   Who/What gives metal a bad rep? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 8:39 am

Funny yall mention Axl when he's never considered himself a Metal singer or Metal Artist

Id say

The Media
MTV
sfincter Fans
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Who/What gives metal a bad rep?   Who/What gives metal a bad rep? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 12:28 pm

I know this might look like I'm practising some double standards here, but this thread is a potential fire hazard. Those who know me knows the truth, and trusts I act oout for the best of the board.

CLOSED!

PostSubject: Re: Who/What gives metal a bad rep?   Who/What gives metal a bad rep? - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Who/What gives metal a bad rep?
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4