Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Who/What gives metal a bad rep?

Go down 
+25
Fat Freddy
mc666
Leatherface
sam
kmorg
manny
DallasBlack
SAHB Healer
rattpoison
Lurideath
Troublezone
James B.
candlemass
metalinmyveins
A Handful of Wayne
GrandNational
Required Fields
MetalGuy71
Temple of Blood
TheDoctor'sScarf
Schbopo
tohostudios
Lari
Stender
XYZ
29 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

Who/What gives metal a bad rep? Empty
PostSubject: Who/What gives metal a bad rep?   Who/What gives metal a bad rep? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 7:54 pm

Who or what misrepresents metal in the eyes of the mainstream? Causes disdain for metal? Lowers the integrity of metal as a genre?

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Who/What gives metal a bad rep?   Who/What gives metal a bad rep? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 8:25 pm

Hot topic and Hollywood.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Who/What gives metal a bad rep?   Who/What gives metal a bad rep? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 8:28 pm

A lot of times there's some dumbass kids listening to metal, who ruin the reputation for all the intelligent fans. Whether it's violence or drugs or stuff like that that kids have done for generations. I guess the older generations always liked to blame the youth pop culture for that - be it Elvis, the Beatles or Grand Theft Auto. After heavy metal broke out in popularity, of course there was going to be kids doing stupid things AND liking heavy metal. Regardless of the fact that the stupid act might have actually had nothing to do with the musical preferences of that person.

Then there's intolerance, even racism. I know there's neo-nazi punk rock, but there's also aryan metal and all that. I guess it's the aggression in heavy metal that makes some people think it's a good media for showing their narrow-minded hatred towards other ethnicities/religions.

Then again, at best, while not really politically charged music, heavy metal can be an eye-opener for people who grew up with calculated pop music. Suddenly you hear music that doesn't limit itself, you hear wonderful stories, you hear a positive message (or a tragic story, which can still drive the same point across). It can help you broaden your views.

Of course not all metal is intelligent... Skid Row's Big Guns probably won't make you think much. That's probably the other thing that gives metal a bad rep: all the overblown music videos during the height of popularity during the 80's. Don't get me wrong, I love glam metal, but a lot of it was certainly not high-brow entertainment. It probably skewed the public perception of heavy metal, too. But people forget heavy metal is so varied. A lot of it is just pure escapism. Just like reading a fantasy novel. Except the replay value is much greater.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Who/What gives metal a bad rep?   Who/What gives metal a bad rep? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 8:35 pm

Axl Rose

PostSubject: Re: Who/What gives metal a bad rep?   Who/What gives metal a bad rep? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 8:43 pm

Fans.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Who/What gives metal a bad rep?   Who/What gives metal a bad rep? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 8:49 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Fans.

humble
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who/What gives metal a bad rep?   Who/What gives metal a bad rep? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 8:54 pm

Stender wrote:
Hot topic and Hollywood.
I have no idea why more metal fans don't support Hot Topic. To get shirts and stuff when I was a kid, we had to do mail-order from the back of Rip and Metal Edge and stuff. Man, I would have killed for a damn store in the mall!

Hot Topic is a great store. Just ignore the turds that work there, thinking they're cooler than you.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who/What gives metal a bad rep?   Who/What gives metal a bad rep? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 9:00 pm

Growing up in my tiny shittown, we actually had a store in our mall that sold metal shirts. Plus they sold them at a local department store. I remember buying Savatage, Great White, Metallica, and Great White shirts at that department store. Now WE were lucky. The stuff they sell at Hot Topic is of poor quality, but something is better than nothing, plus if I want a big baggy pair of pants adorned with a cornucopia of zippers, I know where to go.
Back to top Go down
TheDoctor'sScarf
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 492

PostSubject: Re: Who/What gives metal a bad rep?   Who/What gives metal a bad rep? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 9:15 pm

That is true, Hot Topic's stuff is of sub-par quality. But I have to go with Eyesore in that it is convenient, and they do have decent prices. I just remember back in the 90's and early 2000's when I was a kid having to order stuff from magazines like "Rockabilia". Those greedy, over-priced bastards.

I remember back when I lived in North Carolina, the mall in my town had this store. Well, it was more of stand in the middle of the building, called Screaming Tops. They had everything. Old concert tee's, old vinyl/cassettes/cd's, as well as other music related merchandise. The JC Penny in that mall also had Metallica t-shirts at one point.

By the way, Screaming Tops was right across from a Gap, so I'm curious if perhaps that had something to do with where Hot Topic came from (I believe Gap owns Hot Topic).

Last edited by GrimBeornTheOld on Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Who/What gives metal a bad rep?   Who/What gives metal a bad rep? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 9:16 pm

Hedonism / atheism / Satanism
Back to top Go down
TheDoctor'sScarf
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

PostSubject: Re: Who/What gives metal a bad rep?   Who/What gives metal a bad rep? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 9:18 pm

As for what gives metal a bad rep, I'd say boorish behavior by both bands and fans.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Who/What gives metal a bad rep?   Who/What gives metal a bad rep? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 9:28 pm

Stupid kids that actually listen to the subliminal messages in Judas Priest tunes.

The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Who/What gives metal a bad rep?   Who/What gives metal a bad rep? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 9:31 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Stender wrote:
Hot topic and Hollywood.
I have no idea why more metal fans don't support Hot Topic. To get shirts and stuff when I was a kid, we had to do mail-order from the back of Rip and Metal Edge and stuff. Man, I would have killed for a damn store in the mall!

Hot Topic is a great store. Just ignore the turds that work there, thinking they're cooler than you.

I guess its an alright store if you into Hello kitty and amber pacific. Razz Honestly, the only cool T's I ever remember buying from Hot topic is my Misfits shirt.

Thats interesting about what you said concerning mailordering back in the day. I think it would be awesome for it to be difficult to get T's and merch from bands you truly like and want to support, call me crazy but I think actually buying and getting your hands on a bands stuff that way would make you feel good inside that you supported a struggling band and were acomplished at finding what you wanted even though its almost impossible to get the bands merchandise not to mention get a rad T to boot.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Who/What gives metal a bad rep?   Who/What gives metal a bad rep? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 9:35 pm

What about overprotective soccer moms and watchdog groups? Often vocal opponents against it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Who/What gives metal a bad rep?   Who/What gives metal a bad rep? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 9:43 pm

Stender wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Stender wrote:
Hot topic and Hollywood.

I guess its an alright store if you into Hello kitty and amber pacific. Razz Honestly, the only cool T's I ever remember buying from Hot topic is my Misfits shirt.

What? I've been to Hot Topic maybe 5 times in my life in 3 different locations and they've always had decent t-shirts. Maybe not the best, but Eyesore has a point.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Who/What gives metal a bad rep?   Who/What gives metal a bad rep? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 9:44 pm

Quote :
if I want a big baggy pair of pants adorned with a cornucopia of zippers, I know where to go.

LMAO!!!! very true.

I buy shirts from Hot Topic though and even sometimes Spencers, but yea they arent the same shirts from back in the day that were the real deal. Now they just have the design on the front and nothing on the back usually and the prices are a little steep for a basically knock off version of a concert shirt.

I should have bought a bunch of shirts from one of the music stores that closed down last year. He had the real stuff and I wanted a bunch of shirts but at the time I was broke. I wont get that opportunity again unless I look online.

To get back on the subject Eyesore is right. The "fans" kill Heavy Metal. Not saying all the fans but the ones who dont understand that music is about entertainment.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Who/What gives metal a bad rep?   Who/What gives metal a bad rep? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 10:07 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Stender wrote:
Hot topic and Hollywood.

I never had to do that. There used to be a cool rack of Metal T-shirts at Karma record stores in the Indianapolis area, and then when I moved to Rockford, IL they had the same type of setup at Appletree Records. I guess I thought that was common place, or maybe I was just fortunate.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who/What gives metal a bad rep?   Who/What gives metal a bad rep? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 10:10 pm

I want to second Axl Rose. And Gene Simmons is doing his share.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Who/What gives metal a bad rep?   Who/What gives metal a bad rep? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 10:16 pm

Hacks like Kiss and Raven.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Who/What gives metal a bad rep?   Who/What gives metal a bad rep? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 10:22 pm

candlemass wrote:
Hacks like Kiss and Raven.

Evil or Very Mad No.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Who/What gives metal a bad rep?   Who/What gives metal a bad rep? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 10:25 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Fans.

This video is a classic example of getting a combination of both the good and the bad or the ugly if you ask me. There's a question posed to the kid with the Testament hat on at about the 2:15 mark of the vid.

He's asked by the interviewer, "If they (Metallica) are talking about real serious issues, how are they going to reach the individual who don't know what's happening?" His answer, "They (Metallica) already have" angry . Thank God for the next kid who steps in. He's at least coherent enough to deliver an answer. Unfortunately these are the stereotypes we've had to deal with for a very long time. Some of it's justified, and obviously some of it's not. I just wish those that can't sound articulate at all, would just have the common sense to step aside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i3zSq_8t9s
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who/What gives metal a bad rep?   Who/What gives metal a bad rep? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 10:43 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:

I can totally understand the criticism of satanic bands. But throwing atheists into the mix? That's a crock of sh*t. If "Christian" bands have the right to exist, then so do groups who aren't. Period.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Who/What gives metal a bad rep?   Who/What gives metal a bad rep? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 11:03 pm

detuned wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

I can totally understand the criticism of satanic bands. But throwing atheists into the mix? That's a crock of sh*t. If "Christian" bands have the right to exist, then so do groups who aren't. Period.

? Did I say they didn't have a "right to exist"?

Sure they do, but it gives metal a bad name.
Back to top Go down
TheDoctor'sScarf
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

PostSubject: Re: Who/What gives metal a bad rep?   Who/What gives metal a bad rep? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 11:05 pm

Required Fields wrote:
What about overprotective soccer moms and watchdog groups? Often vocal opponents against it.

Concur.

People who are ill-informed, refuse to put ideology aside, and actually take time to read lyrics and learn what they really mean.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who/What gives metal a bad rep?   Who/What gives metal a bad rep? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 11:06 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
detuned wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

? Did I say they didn't have a "right to exist"?

Sure they do, but it gives metal a bad name.

Atheists give metal a bad name...that's got to be the silliest thing I've heard in quite awhile. What about all the atheists in other genres of music? Do they give all those forms of music a bad name as well?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who/What gives metal a bad rep?   Who/What gives metal a bad rep? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Who/What gives metal a bad rep?
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next