Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Favorite power metal album.

Go down 
+28
metalhead777
Gilbert
ultmetal
Sanctifyre
Damien Solta
Thrasher73
scottmitchell74
Trial by Fire
Svengo
kmorg
sam
Required Fields
AchrisK
Lari
exact33
Zdan
candlemass
Troublezone
nevermore
MetalRob331
mc666
powermacho
Schbopo
steel warrior
Temple of Blood
Stender
Fat Freddy
tohostudios
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

Favorite power metal album. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite power metal album.   Favorite power metal album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 9:35 pm

Fates were progressive metal in my book. Which, consequently, is for sale on amazon.com.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Favorite power metal album.   Favorite power metal album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 9:41 pm

candlemass wrote:
candlemass wrote:
Blind Guardian - A Night At The Opera

🤘 🤘 🤘

Let me add, all pale in comparison! 🤘

For the record, I don't consider this disc power metal at all.

Progressive,epic, symphonic metal maybe but by the parameters laid out in the original post, I don't think this is power metal.

Great album, but outside the parameters of bands in this thread IMO.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Favorite power metal album.   Favorite power metal album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 11:27 pm

Metal church - The Dark

at the moment anyway.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Favorite power metal album.   Favorite power metal album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 11:30 pm

Really? I've always thought and heard BG to be a power metal band, I certainly would not consider them to be prog.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_metal
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Favorite power metal album.   Favorite power metal album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 3:26 pm

candlemass wrote:
Really? I've always thought and heard BG to be a power metal band, I certainly would not consider them to be prog.

You DON'T wanna let Wikipedia tell you about metal. They are wrong! Heck, tey have a picture of Joacim Cans from HammerFall in that article.

Blind Guardian is a part of the "modern" power metal horde, started by Helloween. Nowadays I often refer to it as Euro-metal, but originally I called it melodic speed metal.

But this thread was supposed to be about the REAL power metal bands. The original power metal bands like Metal Church, Vicious Rumors, Attacker etc.

I have so many favorites in this category that it is virtually impossible to choose one favorite. Pehaps I'll put my money on the first 2 Metal Church albums.

Last edited by kmorg on Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Favorite power metal album.   Favorite power metal album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 3:28 pm

Mam that Wikipedia site was stupid. Here is their list of bands that are power metal:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_power_metal_bands

Pretty Maids????? PRETTY MAIDS are power metal? And Accept?

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Favorite power metal album.   Favorite power metal album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 3:32 pm

candlemass wrote:

Not the earlier stuff maybe but the last two have been very prog IMO (especially Night At The Opera). One way I can tell is because I don't like either one.

PostSubject: Re: Favorite power metal album.   Favorite power metal album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 3:33 pm

kmorg wrote:
Mam that Wikipedia site was stupid. Here is their list of bands that are power metal:

That list is off base.

So I added Avenger of Blood and Hirax just to piss in their apple juice. Smile
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Favorite power metal album.   Favorite power metal album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 3:34 pm

lol!

Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Favorite power metal album.   Favorite power metal album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 5:12 pm

kmorg wrote:
candlemass wrote:

You DON'T wanna let Wikipedia tell you about metal. They are wrong! Heck, tey have a picture of Joacim Cans from HammerFall in that article.

Blind Guardian is a part of the "modern" power metal horde, started my Helloween. Nowadays I ofter refer to it as Euro-metal, but originally I called it melodic speed metal.

But this thread was supposed to be about the REAL power metal bands. The original power metal bands like Metal Church, Vicious Rumors, Attacker etc.

I have so many favorites in this category that it is virtually impossible to choose one favorite. Pehaps I'll put my mney on the first 2 Metal Church albums.

Hammerfall is def power metal in my eyes and one of the best!!
Back to top Go down
Svengo
Metal master
Metal master
Svengo

Number of posts : 967

PostSubject: Re: Favorite power metal album.   Favorite power metal album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 5:13 pm

That's Wikipedia for ya, and to think some people use it as a so called legitimate source for serious research and such.

This has been out there a while but it sums up wikipedia for me.

Favorite power metal album. - Page 2 20051216h
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite power metal album.   Favorite power metal album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 5:30 pm

While I love ANATO I don't consider it trOO. Hammerfall I could let slide in but never Silent Force. I would agree with Kmorg and put them in the Euro-metal realm. Oh well, it's just opinions.
Great call on the Jag Panzer.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Favorite power metal album.   Favorite power metal album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 8:50 pm

Whatever! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Favorite power metal album.   Favorite power metal album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 11:39 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
kmorg wrote:

That list is off base.

lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Favorite power metal album.   Favorite power metal album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2009 12:23 am

SpectreFate wrote:
kmorg wrote:

That list is off base.

Haha..I'm sure the guys in AOB and Hirax love you for that!
Back to top Go down
Trial by Fire
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Trial by Fire

Number of posts : 271

PostSubject: Re: Favorite power metal album.   Favorite power metal album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2009 2:34 am

I never really got into the power metal side of metal but I checked out some of these bands and some of it's not too bad. Although I must add that thanks to Firewind my colon is going to be backed up for weeks from the absurd amount of cheese it subjected me to.

Last edited by Trial by Fire on Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite power metal album.   Favorite power metal album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2009 3:15 am

Trial by Fire wrote:
I never really got into the power metal side of metal but I checked out some of these bands and some of it's not too bad. Although I must add that thanks to Firewind my colon is going to be backed up for weeks from the obsurd amount of cheese it subjected me to.

Old school power metal: Savatage, Running Wild, Metal Church, etc. Not much cheese factor there (other than lyrics sometimes)...this "new" power metal stuff? I can't listen to it without bursting into laughter...it's like somebody took all the worst metal cliches and mixed them together into a big overblown stew. Dragons & Wizards & Hobbits galore...
Back to top Go down
Trial by Fire
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Trial by Fire

Number of posts : 271

PostSubject: Re: Favorite power metal album.   Favorite power metal album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2009 3:53 am

Power metal to me always felt a bit weak and bland, but I definitely like what I've heard from those three bands so far. This is the first time I've heard anything from this style of metal that I feel has some balls and integrity. Although it's probably not something that I'll ever get really into, as I seem to be drifting further away from standardized metal by the day, I'll have to give them a more thorough listen. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Favorite power metal album.   Favorite power metal album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 12:22 pm

Quote :
Old school power metal: Savatage, Running Wild, Metal Church, etc. Not much cheese factor there (other than lyrics sometimes)...this "new" power metal stuff? I can't listen to it without bursting into laughter...it's like somebody took all the worst metal cliches and mixed them together into a big overblown stew. Dragons & Wizards & Hobbits galore...

I like both kinds! The cheesier the better.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Favorite power metal album.   Favorite power metal album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 7:54 pm

I kind of agree about the oversaturation of the European power metal scene. I cannot stand Hammerfall, Rhapsody, Primal Fear and a lot of these bands. I like Blind Guardian though, especially the 90's albums. I don't know if A Night at the Opera counts as a pure power metal album either, it's a very symphonic release. And if it is a power metal album, it's not a very good one. It lacks the punch and the speed. I guess Nightfall and Imaginations are my favourite Blind Guardian albums, but Imaginations is clearly the better POWER METAL album. Very strong, powerful songs all throughout, while Nightfall is more of an epic story-based metal album. Awesome album nonetheless, but only so-and-so power metal album, apart from a few fast tracks.

Valley's Eve is (was?) a German band, but they definitely don't sound like what you'd think. That Deception of Pain album sounds mean, aggressive and even thrashy, if it wasn't for the infectious Dokken-like melodies and choruses. A truly magnificient piece of music for fans of a variety of metal. I guess Angel Dust is close in style, but they use keyboards and pianos more. Valley's Eve is also nothing like Mystic Prophecy (who also have R.D. Liapakis as their vocalist), who cannot match the power and energy. Nor aggression.

Anyway, generic Euro power makes me cringe. But I love the musicianship and once in awhile there are some absolute gems coming from Germany and Finland, for instance.

I love Gamma Ray's Majestic, too. A very good, classic sounding power metal CD. Their best IMO, and I own all their CDs.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Favorite power metal album.   Favorite power metal album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 11:11 pm

Metal Church-The Human Factor
Vicious Rumors-Welcome to the Ball
Iced Earth-Something Wicked
Firewind-Forged By Fire
Fates Warning-No Exit
Sacred Warrior-Obsessions
Barren Cross-Atomic Arena
Back to top Go down
Damien Solta
Metal student
Metal student

Number of posts : 112

PostSubject: Re: Favorite power metal album.   Favorite power metal album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 12:09 am

Savatage - Hall of The Mountain King
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Favorite power metal album.   Favorite power metal album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 12:19 am

detuned wrote:
Trial by Fire wrote:
I never really got into the power metal side of metal but I checked out some of these bands and some of it's not too bad. Although I must add that thanks to Firewind my colon is going to be backed up for weeks from the obsurd amount of cheese it subjected me to.

Old school power metal: Savatage, Running Wild, Metal Church, etc.

You know none of these bands we're considered "power metal" at the time, back then it was just metal.
Back to top Go down
Sanctifyre
Metal novice
Metal novice
Sanctifyre

Number of posts : 7

PostSubject: Re: Favorite power metal album.   Favorite power metal album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 1:50 am

That would have to be Blind Guardian Nightfall In Middle Earth
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite power metal album.   Favorite power metal album. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2009 2:07 pm

Lari-Primal Fear has so much Judas Priest in them, how can you not like them?

Quote :
You know none of these bands we're considered "power metal" at the time, back then it was just metal.

True but now everthing is catagorized. It's just opinions. Like how the Doors used to be good but now we realize Jim was an overindulged spoiled brat who made smurf poo music.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favorite power metal album.   Favorite power metal album. - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Favorite power metal album.
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next