Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Let's talk Deep Purple

Go down 
+5
Troublezone
nevermore
Fat Freddy
Lari
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6330

Let's talk Deep Purple Empty
PostSubject: Let's talk Deep Purple   Let's talk Deep Purple Icon_minitimeSat Dec 16, 2023 6:09 pm

Let's talk Deep Purple 2-deep10

Try not to look at the bulge

It's been years since we've had a Deep Purple discussion thread. What are your guys' favourite albums - or least favourite albums - and what about albums like The Battle Rages On, the "Rainbow" album Slaves and Masters, or mk.II vs mk.III opinions? Purple are one of the original big three heavy metal bands that blew up in the early '70s, let's not forget them, eh?

I am a big Blackmore fanboy, and own all Rainbow albums on CD, love his guitar work, but I still have holes in my non-Ritchie Purple collection (especially later era). 'In Rock' was always my favourite, but in the past year or two I've got more and more into their '80s reunion era. Perfect Strangers is a super strong comeback album, and both House of Blue Light and The Battle Rages On are actually really good.

I can't get into Purple without Blackmore, but I can enjoy David Coverdale just fine. He is awesome. That's why Burn is also one of my top albums of the '70s.

My top 5 Purple albums today:

1. In Rock
2. Burn
3. Perfect Strangers
4. Machine Head
5. House of Blue Light

Fireball is up there too, but it has some clunkers. Battle Rages On too.

I don't have any of their 2000s albums on CD, but I've heard Bananas and tracks off others, and decided I ain't going there. What am I missing out on?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37639

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk Deep Purple   Let's talk Deep Purple Icon_minitimeSat Dec 16, 2023 9:27 pm

I only own a handful of Deep Purple albums - Burn, Machine Head, Fireball, and Perfect Strangers.

I also have two best-of collections (Deepest Purple and When We Rock, We Rock, and When We Roll, We Roll).

Of those, I think my favorite is Machine Head.

They're one of those bands I've always meant to dig deeper into but have never quite gotten around to it.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25827

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk Deep Purple   Let's talk Deep Purple Icon_minitimeSun Dec 17, 2023 10:41 am

I own some of their albums. It's a pretty big discography overall.

Burn is probably my favorite album by them. Machine Head is a close second. Made In Japan is an excellent live album (if you like live records).
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39505

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk Deep Purple   Let's talk Deep Purple Icon_minitimeSun Dec 17, 2023 1:23 pm

Was never really a big fan. Owned Machine Hear on cassette back in the day but never really felt the need to dig any further into their discography.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk Deep Purple   Let's talk Deep Purple Icon_minitimeSun Dec 17, 2023 2:47 pm

nevermore wrote:
I own some of their albums. It's a pretty big discography overall.

Burn is probably my favorite album by them. Machine Head is a close second. Made In Japan is an excellent live album (if you like live records).

I don't own Made in Japan on CD. I have a live double CD with Purple and the London Symphony Orchestra. It's a pretty mellow setlist. Not many fast kickass heavy metal tunes, if at all. But they did get Dio to guest on Smoke on the Water. But even that version is not very gritty or sweaty.

Ian Gillan as a singer certainly had a nasty delivery that complimented the early sound very well. Soeaking of Gillan, everyone listens to Rainbow like me, but are there fans of his NWOBHM outfit GILLAN? They made some totally cool albums. I don't understand how they didn't really break out, and Gillan joined Sabbath instead.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17068

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk Deep Purple   Let's talk Deep Purple Icon_minitimeSun Dec 17, 2023 4:59 pm

Purple has some great songs, but they tend to sometimes get a little bloated with the songwriting. They have always been a “hit and miss” type band IMO.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk Deep Purple   Let's talk Deep Purple Icon_minitimeSun Dec 17, 2023 5:35 pm

I think a lot of it has to do with them being much more than just a heavy metal band. They played rock 'n' roll (especially before and after Blackmore) and only a part of their material is truly "hard and heavy". Much like Led Zeppelin, who were a heavy metal band but also much much more than that.

Purple didn't always embrace their heavy metal innovator status and sometimes it was even a hindrance. That reflected on their material. Lots of rock and funk and some even more AOR style songs.

I don't think that limits their appeal. They were a massive influence. And I can enjoy David Coverdale (who himself later on embraced the hair metal sound), I can enjoy a band not fully committing. Even if I don't like all of their music equally.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk Deep Purple   Let's talk Deep Purple Icon_minitimeSun Dec 17, 2023 6:24 pm

Lari wrote:
I think a lot of it has to do with them being much more than just a heavy metal band. They played rock 'n' roll (especially before and after Blackmore) and only a part of their material is truly "hard and heavy". Much like Led Zeppelin, who were a heavy metal band but also much much more than that.

Purple didn't always embrace their heavy metal innovator status and sometimes it was even a hindrance. That reflected on their material. Lots of rock and funk and some even more AOR style songs.

I don't think that limits their appeal. They were a massive influence. And I can enjoy David Coverdale (who himself later on embraced the hair metal sound), I can enjoy a band not fully committing. Even if I don't like all of their music equally.

I think of them as musically scatterbrained. Yes, very similar to some of Zeppelin’s left-field detours with funk rock. And Purple were also a big time “jam band”. As heard on their Made in Japan live album.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk Deep Purple   Let's talk Deep Purple Icon_minitimeSun Dec 17, 2023 6:27 pm

No matter what, I believe Ritchie Blackmore is one of the greatest rock guitarists ever. He is a pioneer for sure. Technically speaking, he’s better than Hendrix. Although Jeff Beck was the best of the 60’s era players.

Lari likes this post

Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12604

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk Deep Purple   Let's talk Deep Purple Icon_minitimeFri Dec 22, 2023 10:59 am

I listen to the Coverdale/Hughes stuff more lately.

Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk Deep Purple   Let's talk Deep Purple Icon_minitimeFri Dec 22, 2023 6:58 pm

Any opinions on the post Battle Rages On albums?
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9877

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk Deep Purple   Let's talk Deep Purple Icon_minitimeSat Dec 23, 2023 1:00 am

Lari wrote:
Any opinions on the post Battle Rages On albums?

I own a lot of cds by Deep Purple. Love this band.

Got late into them, through The Battle Rages On precisely.

Great album. The title track is brutally good man headbanger .

After this album, I tried keeping track but still missed a couple.

Last album i picked up was Infinite and it is very enjoyable.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12604

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk Deep Purple   Let's talk Deep Purple Icon_minitimeMon Dec 25, 2023 12:50 am

Lari wrote:
[url=https://servimg.com/view/16979092/121]
Try not to look at the bulge

I bet somebody bought their Christmas Tree at Blackmore's Lot, being he had top quality wood. Laughing very hard

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2959

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk Deep Purple   Let's talk Deep Purple Icon_minitimeFri Dec 29, 2023 4:52 am

I've always appreciated them, but a major turning point for me was seeing them live in Boston in 2019. Steve Morse was still in the band at the point. The setlist was pretty standard for them in recent years. But something finally clicked and I really *got* the band. Now I love pretty much everything they've put out.

I especially love the Steve Morse era of the band, from Purpendicular down to Whoosh! There is so much to discover on those albums.

Back to top Go down
oldschooldoom
Metal novice
Metal novice
oldschooldoom

Number of posts : 80

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk Deep Purple   Let's talk Deep Purple Icon_minitimeMon Jan 01, 2024 1:45 pm

My top 5 Purple albums:

1. In Rock
2. Made in Japan
3. Perfect Strangers (maybe the greatest comeback album of all time, saw them on this tour)
4. Machine Head

Did I say 5? I wish I had 5 favorites. Their stuff in the past 10 years is such a turn off. I hate when legend bands feel the need to swear in their songs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk Deep Purple   Let's talk Deep Purple Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Let's talk Deep Purple
Page 1 of 1