Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Folk Metal

Go down 
+11
Schbopo
FATALITY
Lari
Olafsto
Zdan
sam
scottmitchell74
Smindas
Troublezone
tohostudios
Thrasher73
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Folk Metal - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Folk Metal   Folk Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 3:09 pm

I don't really know much else. lol.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Folk Metal   Folk Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 6:34 pm

Marc Mason wrote:
Skyclad. Seriously, I cannot stress enough that these guys epitomise the spirit of 'folk metal'. Most, more current folk metal bands will undoubtedly cite Skyclad as an influence - they're like the Sabbath of folk metal.

Metal master
Metal master
Svengo

Number of posts : 967

PostSubject: Re: Folk Metal   Folk Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 11:48 am

Never really got into this sub-genre but I did work with a guy who absolutely loved this stuff, mostly the celtic variety.
Somehow I seem to think of that Michael Flatley guy fom Lord of the Dance doing his irish step-dance to this whenever I hear any of those bands.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Folk Metal   Folk Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 12:52 am

Smindas wrote:
Marc Mason wrote:
Skyclad. Seriously, I cannot stress enough that these guys epitomise the spirit of 'folk metal'. Most, more current folk metal bands will undoubtedly cite Skyclad as an influence - they're like the Sabbath of folk metal.

I'm listening to Skyclad and, lol, this don't sound nuthin like no dang Folk-Metal. I'm hearing something which sounds like a Rap-Metal version of 16th century Scot/Brit/Irish traditional music. The song is Mr. Malaprope. Oh, ok, this Roman Wall is much better. But, I don't know what they mean by 'Folk' when it outright rocks. Does most of this genre rock?

Agalloch has got the mellow, extremely atmospheric thing going for it. That's why I thought they refer to this stuff as Folk-Metal. Does Skyclad also have mellow, atmospheric stuff with really layered, complex guitar parts? I don't see how this band fits into the same genre as Agalloch. I probably wouldn't like this stuff much at all.

This is what Last FM says is close to Agalloch in musical direction:
http://www.last.fm/music/Agalloch/+similar

Ever hear of Woods of Ypres?
http://www.last.fm/music/Woods+of+Ypres

Ya can listen to a full Skyclad album over at here:
http://www.last.fm/music/Skyclad/Jig-a-Jig
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Folk Metal   Folk Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 2:22 am

Let me post a few titles to give ya a decent understanding of my understanding of this sub-genre, mate.

Ya got your things this:
http://www.last.fm/music/Wolven+Ancestry/The+Wrath+of+Gaia
Woven Ancestry
http://www.last.fm/music/Agalloch/Of+Stone%2C+Wind%2C+and+Pillor
Agalloch
http://www.last.fm/music/Wolves+in+the+Throne+Room/Two+Hunters
Wolves in the Throne Room

And then ya got pretty much more of the same:
http://www.last.fm/music/In+the+Woods.../HEart+of+the+Ages
In The Woods
http://www.last.fm/music/Kauan/Lumikuuro
Kauan
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Folk Metal   Folk Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 5:04 am

Marc Mason wrote:
Smindas wrote:
Marc Mason wrote:

I'm listening to Skyclad and, lol, this don't sound nuthin like no dang Folk-Metal. I'm hearing something which sounds like a Rap-Metal version of 16th century Scot/Brit/Irish traditional music. The song is Mr. Malaprope. Oh, ok, this Roman Wall is much better. But, I don't know what they mean by 'Folk' when it outright rocks.
That's there more recent output, you should really try and look in to earlier albums like Jonah's Ark and Prince of the Poverty Line. However, I literally do not understand how this doesn't sound like folk metal, if it sounds like a metal version of 16th century, traditional British music. That's folk music. Fiddles, flutes, people jigging - that's folk. Yes, of course it has developed since then, but that's the original foundation. These are the elements that bands like Skyclad, Elvenking, Korpiklaani and to an extent Finntroll incorporate in to their music, and these are the bands that define the genre. So uh. Yeah, can't really say it doesn't sound "like no dang folk-metal".

PostSubject: Re: Folk Metal   Folk Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 2:22 pm

I wouldn't call Battlelore a folk metal band. They are, however, awesome. Maybe they are folk metal. I don't know.

Apparently Crimfall is Finnish Epic Folk Metal, or so says the sticker on the jewelcase. I just bought it the other day and it's great. Male growler, female singer (who strangely looks beastly here, though she looked hot in Tacere...weird).

🤘
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Folk Metal   Folk Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 3:23 pm

Smindas wrote:

That's there more recent output, you should really try and look in to earlier albums like Jonah's Ark and Prince of the Poverty Line. However, I literally do not understand how this doesn't sound like folk metal, if it sounds like a metal version of 16th century, traditional British music. That's folk music. Fiddles, flutes, people jigging - that's folk. Yes, of course it has developed since then, but that's the original foundation. These are the elements that bands like Skyclad, Elvenking, Korpiklaani and to an extent Finntroll incorporate in to their music, and these are the bands that define the genre. So uh. Yeah, can't really say it doesn't sound "like no dang folk-metal".

I guess that you're right. It's just that I don't know much about the genre and I'm using Agalloch as the yardstick. Maybe they're the anomaly, not the archetype. All I know as that this particular band is what I like. I was really impressed when I first heard 'The Mantle'. I never before heard this combination of musical elements. The guitars are so layered, complex and atmospheric. And, all the compositions are of a tremendously high quality.

For some reason, I see a comparison with Opeth, but in what way, I don't really know. I think it's because Agalloch sounds like a Scandanavian band. And, also, Agalloch's tunes are epic, yet accesssible, like Opeth.
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Folk Metal   Folk Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 4:21 pm

Finntroll
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25875

PostSubject: Re: Folk Metal   Folk Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 8:42 pm

I've been wanting to check out Ensiferum.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Folk Metal   Folk Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Folk Metal
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: