Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Was Dave Mustaine the father of thrash metal?

Go down 
+25
Smindas
Gilbert
powermacho
rattpoison
Troublezone
James B.
sam
skullsmasher
XYZ
Lurideath
Schbopo
Mglaffas81
mc666
metalinmyveins
manny
SideShowDisaSter
akeldama
Thrasher73
MetalGuy71
MetalRob331
Addy
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
kmorg
Temple of Blood
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Was Dave Mustaine the father of thrash metal? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Was Dave Mustaine the father of thrash metal?   Was Dave Mustaine the father of thrash metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 4:19 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
You cant pinpoint any one person in the genre really.

Why not? We have the releases, we have interviews from people around at the time. We have evidence. Why is it impossible to see who the principal music instigator was?
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Was Dave Mustaine the father of thrash metal?   Was Dave Mustaine the father of thrash metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 4:24 pm

If not the father of thrash metal certainly he was a founding father and easily the best.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Was Dave Mustaine the father of thrash metal?   Was Dave Mustaine the father of thrash metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 4:45 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
You cant pinpoint any one person in the genre really.

Why not? We have the releases, we have interviews from people around at the time. We have evidence. Why is it impossible to see who the principal music instigator was?

Because there was too many bands doing thrash at the same time IMO. James Hetfield recorded Hit the Lights if Im not mistaken before Mustaine even joined Metallica. Mustaine is just a household name in the thrash genre and was in 2 of the biggest thrash bands, that is why I think he is mentioned.

As far as releases those really arent accurate, a band can play for years before releasing any material to the public. IMO Venom was the first band to really start thrash. Motorhead as well had tons of thrash elements in there music.

Again I really cant pinpoint who it was but Mustaine it def is not.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Was Dave Mustaine the father of thrash metal?   Was Dave Mustaine the father of thrash metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 4:50 pm

How'bout we all simply agree that Al Gore invented thrash metal. You know, like he invented the Internet.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PostSubject: Re: Was Dave Mustaine the father of thrash metal?   Was Dave Mustaine the father of thrash metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 5:06 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
IMO Venom was the first band to really start thrash. Motorhead as well had tons of thrash elements in there music.

I have to disagree with that. Venom and Motorhead both had occasional elements of what we now call thrash, but for both bands it was a minor part of their sound. No one listening to either band can say thrash is the totality, or even the majority, of their style.

Metallica was definitely the first honest to goodness THRASH band. You could say that Venom and Motorhead had influences, but the occasional pieces they both used were built upon and pushed to their extremes in such a way as to make them something new. However, even the basic block that Venom pushed to extremes was simply NWOBHM. Venom and Motorhead may have occasionally dabbled, but Metallica took the ball and ran with it.

As far as Overkill goes, you are talking about a band that until around '85 or '86 had a sound more rooted in speed metal than full-fledged thrash.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Was Dave Mustaine the father of thrash metal?   Was Dave Mustaine the father of thrash metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 5:07 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
How'bout we all simply agree that Al Gore invented thrash metal. You know, like he invented the Internet.

Are you trying tell me Al Gore didnot invent the internet!?!?!? Another myth shattered.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Was Dave Mustaine the father of thrash metal?   Was Dave Mustaine the father of thrash metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 5:09 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
Because there was too many bands doing thrash at the same time IMO. James Hetfield recorded Hit the Lights if Im not mistaken before Mustaine even joined Metallica. Mustaine is just a household name in the thrash genre and was in 2 of the biggest thrash bands, that is why I think he is mentioned.

I was going to mention this when the thread started, but I've been farting around doing other things. You hit the nail on the head with this. Hit The Lights was written before Mustaine ever entered the picture, and Motorbreath is the only Metallica song written by a singular individual, that being Hetfield. Guys like Mustaine and Hetfield are simply a part of the puzzle regarding that aggressive stlye back in the day. If anything they perfected that type of music.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Was Dave Mustaine the father of thrash metal?   Was Dave Mustaine the father of thrash metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 5:11 pm

i heard Randy Blythe was the father of thrash. i think SideShow mentioned it.

MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Was Dave Mustaine the father of thrash metal?   Was Dave Mustaine the father of thrash metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 5:12 pm

SideShowDisaSter wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
IMO Venom was the first band to really start thrash. Motorhead as well had tons of thrash elements in there music.

I have to disagree with that. Venom and Motorhead both had occasional elements of what we now call thrash, but for both bands it was a minor part of their sound. No one listening to either band can say thrash is the totality, or even the majority, of their style.

Metallica was definitely the first honest to goodness THRASH band. You could say that Venom and Motorhead had influences, but the occasional pieces they both used were built upon and pushed to their extremes in such a way as to make them something new. However, even the basic block that Venom pushed to extremes was simply NWOBHM. Venom and Motorhead may have occasionally dabbled, but Metallica took the ball and ran with it.

As far as Overkill goes, you are talking about a band that until around '85 or '86 had a sound more rooted in speed metal than full-fledged thrash.

What I was saying is that Venom and Motorhead really had the first known elements of thrash. I agree Metallica were def the first thrash band to perfect the sound and run with it.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

PostSubject: Re: Was Dave Mustaine the father of thrash metal?   Was Dave Mustaine the father of thrash metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 5:13 pm

mc666 wrote:
i heard Randy Blythe was the father of thrash. i think SideShow mentioned it.

Laughing very hard

Even though I was on the butt-end of this joke, I have to say that you are the KING of the hit-and-run comedy, MC! humble

PostSubject: Re: Was Dave Mustaine the father of thrash metal?   Was Dave Mustaine the father of thrash metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 5:17 pm

Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

PostSubject: Re: Was Dave Mustaine the father of thrash metal?   Was Dave Mustaine the father of thrash metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 5:19 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
What I was saying is that Venom and Motorhead really had the first known elements of thrash. I agree Metallica were def the first thrash band to perfect the sound and run with it.

I understand that. However, I don't think you can credit someone with being the creator of something if that isn't really what they did. Influential to creating, but not the actual creator itself.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

PostSubject: Re: Was Dave Mustaine the father of thrash metal?   Was Dave Mustaine the father of thrash metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 6:03 pm

MOST DEFINITELY NOT

Metallica were there before Dave Mustaine - "Hit the Lights" is, to me, the first 100% thrash song ever recorded. And that was just James and Lars.

Dave should of course get a lot of credit and I do agree with most that has been said, but aren't you forgetting a certain somebody named Kirk Hammett? - He was in Exodus, also one of the originators of the styles. Dave has been whining non-stop about his music being used on Kill 'em All, but he's acting like he wrote the ENTIRE album - He did not. When Kirk joined Metallica, they perfected the album. Dave had probably written several riffs, but credit must be given to James and Kirk - James wrote the riffs to songs like Seek and Destroy and No Remorse, while Kirk took Dave's solo's and made them much better. He only used about the first four bars of those 4-5 solo's of his that were actually used for the album. Dave had intensity, but Kirk had feel.

Last edited by Mglaffas81 on Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

PostSubject: Re: Was Dave Mustaine the father of thrash metal?   Was Dave Mustaine the father of thrash metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 6:11 pm

Metallica also pretty much origninated the Melodic Thrash sound, or Speed Metal - Megadeth are always claimed to be the originators of this style, but already in 1984 Metallica had released Ride the Lightning - Other than a few bars in the first solo in the title track, Dave can take no credit for this masterpiece and milestone - RTL was so ahead of it's time, and it blows the first two Megadeth albums out of the water, IMO. Kirk also wrote the classic riff for "Creeping Death", which was actually written way back in his Exodus days. To me, Dave is a whiny smurfette. He did play a big part in the evolvment of thrash though, but he is certainly not the Thrash god that everyone seems to see him as, including himself.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Was Dave Mustaine the father of thrash metal?   Was Dave Mustaine the father of thrash metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 6:17 pm

No. Next question please.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Was Dave Mustaine the father of thrash metal?   Was Dave Mustaine the father of thrash metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 6:28 pm

Mglaffas81 wrote:
Metallica also pretty much origninated the Melodic Thrash sound, or Speed Metal - Megadeth are always claimed to be the originators of this style, but already in 1984 Metallica had released Ride the Lightning - Other than a few bars in the first solo in the title track, Dave can take no credit for this masterpiece and milestone - RTL was so ahead of it's time, and it blows the first two Megadeth albums out of the water, IMO. Kirk also wrote the classic riff for "Creeping Death", which was actually written way back in his Exodus days. To me, Dave is a whiny smurfette. He did play a big part in the evolvment of thrash though, but he is certainly not the Thrash god that everyone seems to see him as, including himself.

Yep, if we all said yes that would give Dave more reason to think he is some metal god. Dave is a great thrash guitar player and leadman but thats as far as it gets for me.

O did I mention he knows karate and he slept with your g/f. just kidding
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

PostSubject: Re: Was Dave Mustaine the father of thrash metal?   Was Dave Mustaine the father of thrash metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 6:31 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
Mglaffas81 wrote:

Yep, if we all said yes that would give Dave more reason to think he is some metal god. Dave is a great thrash guitar player and leadman but thats as far as it gets for me.

O did I mention he knows karate and he slept with your g/f. just kidding

Haha, he is pathetic. You'd think at age 47 he'd mature a bit - Oh he most certainly did, now he's a so-called Christian and self proclaimed legend. What a tool
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Was Dave Mustaine the father of thrash metal?   Was Dave Mustaine the father of thrash metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 6:36 pm

I wouldn't say he's the father of thrash, but he did have a big hand in the development of it.
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Was Dave Mustaine the father of thrash metal?   Was Dave Mustaine the father of thrash metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 6:41 pm

Dave is one of the forefathers. James and Lars are the others.
Back to top Go down
skullsmasher
Metal master
Metal master
skullsmasher

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: Was Dave Mustaine the father of thrash metal?   Was Dave Mustaine the father of thrash metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 6:44 pm

I have been following Dave's music from his first album,saw the tour too. He is one of founders of the genre but like so many of you guys have mentioned there were others that were running with that ball too. It was a new style at the time and it was making a huge wave, but these guys all knew each other or of each other and were feeding off of that energy. Metallica was probably the first to really get noticed but there were plenty of others that should have been recognized before they were. But my opinion is that he should be at least in the top 5 but really shouldn't get all the credit.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Was Dave Mustaine the father of thrash metal?   Was Dave Mustaine the father of thrash metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 7:39 pm

Self proclaimed legend? Maybe but he backs it well.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Was Dave Mustaine the father of thrash metal?   Was Dave Mustaine the father of thrash metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 8:50 pm

I see the young guys are the one's that disagree. Interesting.

I think if a guy like Scott Ian, who himself is one of the originators of the thrash sound, says that Mustaine is the father of thrash, I'd tend to believe him.

Sounds like Mglaffas81 just has a beef with Dave in general.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Was Dave Mustaine the father of thrash metal?   Was Dave Mustaine the father of thrash metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 9:03 pm

sure, why not.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Was Dave Mustaine the father of thrash metal?   Was Dave Mustaine the father of thrash metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 9:04 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I see the young guys are the one's that disagree. Interesting.

I didn't disagree; i just said that he wasn't alone in crafting the thrash metal genre. Unless of course you didn't mean to include me in the "youngin" catagory, then never mind.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Was Dave Mustaine the father of thrash metal?   Was Dave Mustaine the father of thrash metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 9:08 pm

as an early writer/player in one of the first thrash bands...how can he not be considered one of the fathers?

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Was Dave Mustaine the father of thrash metal?   Was Dave Mustaine the father of thrash metal? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Was Dave Mustaine the father of thrash metal?
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next