Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Guardian is back!

Go down 
+14
MetalFRO
Glenn Rogers
Shiney
kmorg
7thSaviour
YngwieDokkenfan
7thSecond
mc666
Fat Freddy
thejokeriv
stevegarveyfan
ultmetal
Troublezone
kethdredd
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
kethdredd
Metal master
Metal master
kethdredd

Number of posts : 559

Guardian is back! Empty
PostSubject: Guardian is back!   Guardian is back! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 10:36 pm

It appears that Guardian is back for real this time, at least real enough to take new promo shots. Fire and Love is my favorite Guardian disc. I hope they will do something in that vein. They have also added a second guitarist.

Quote :
Guardian updates have kicked in. Get the inside scoop on Guardian's return venture "House Of Guardian".

We convene this friday...ride shotgun with us at twitter. com/houseofguardian
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

Guardian is back! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guardian is back!   Guardian is back! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 10:56 pm

Never liked them.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Guardian is back! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guardian is back!   Guardian is back! Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 8:17 am

I love the first three Guardian albums. I saw them live a few times on the Fire and Love and Miracle Mile tours. After that their catalog gets really spotty. Bottle Rocket is atrocious. I like their Stryper tribute CD. The acoustic CD is ok. I saw them do an acoustic show live once as well. It was fun.

Guardian have always followed trends. Whatever was cool on rock radio is what they played. Honestly, that sort of turns me off. I know everyone has influences, but I just can't understand chasing passing fads in music. Do what you do and don't worry about whats in and out.

Metal master
Metal master
stevegarveyfan

Number of posts : 613

Guardian is back! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guardian is back!   Guardian is back! Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 12:19 pm

I always dog Metallica for following trends, but when it all comes down, isn't putting food on your table ALWAYS more important than that fleeting virtue known as "musical integrity"? Yes it is.

I may not want to buy Metallica's albums now, but my wish for Metallica to go back to their early style takes a MAJOR back seat to their own wishes to play what they want to play and to provide for their families how they see fit. Although musical integrity is important, it is NOT the most important thing, no matter what anyone on this board says.

If Guardian wants to follow trends, I'm not gonna like it, but that doesn't mean that they shouldn't be able to play what they want to play--trendy or not.

I hope this makes sense.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

Guardian is back! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guardian is back!   Guardian is back! Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 1:07 pm

Hmmm... I will need to listen to the samples before I think about buying. I love the first 3 albums, but after that..... I don't own any of them.

I did see them twice - First Watch and Fire & Love. I was able to see both incarnations of the band. Pretty cool, from what I remember. I remember I recorded the first watch show. Sadly, I have no idea where that tape is now.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Guardian is back! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guardian is back!   Guardian is back! Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 1:08 pm

Forgot to mention - I'd met the band a few times, good guys. I even talked to Tony when he was on the "pay the bills tour" as Michael W. Smith's touring guitarist - he added a hard rock edge to the songs!
Back to top Go down

Guardian is back! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guardian is back!   Guardian is back! Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 1:39 pm

stevegarveyfan wrote:
I always dog Metallica for following trends, but when it all comes down, isn't putting food on your table ALWAYS more important than that fleeting virtue known as "musical integrity"? Yes it is.

I may not want to buy Metallica's albums now, but my wish for Metallica to go back to their early style takes a MAJOR back seat to their own wishes to play what they want to play and to provide for their families how they see fit. Although musical integrity is important, it is NOT the most important thing, no matter what anyone on this board says.

If Guardian wants to follow trends, I'm not gonna like it, but that doesn't mean that they shouldn't be able to play what they want to play--trendy or not.

I hope this makes sense.

Is Metallica feeding its' young gold chips and diamonds?

Personally, I find the above logic ridiculous. Music should ALWAYS be about integrity. When it's not, it goes from being art to being just another job - no different than a sheet metal worker or a government official. Metallica could have fed its family for life after Ride the Lightning. So that BS excuse don't fly for the later albums. Metallica used to be trendsetters, now they are trend-followers. And I simply have always found that sad. I doubt Skankin' Pickle is in the game for the dough. Same with the other 99% of bands throughout history. If Robert Johnson, Lightning Hopkins, and Miles Davis all bought into that attitude, we would still be singing cowboy songs.

And, other than Bob Rock, who is not in the band, I can't really see anyone wanting to play St Anger.

And Guardian blows. First Watch was listenable and the YABAIB was well done. That's it folks.
Back to top Go down

Guardian is back! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guardian is back!   Guardian is back! Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 1:39 pm

Well Jamie has been doing stuff that sounded more like early Guardian with Adriangale so let's hope that's the direction they go.
Back to top Go down

Guardian is back! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guardian is back!   Guardian is back! Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 1:40 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
"pay the bills tour"

That pretty much sums them up.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

Guardian is back! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guardian is back!   Guardian is back! Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 1:57 pm

I bought FIRST WATCH back in the day because of its Stryper connection (Oz Fox produced the album) and thought it was OK, but not particularly memorable. It reminded me a lot of Dokken if memory serves. I traded it off ages ago and can't say I particularly miss it.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Guardian is back! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guardian is back!   Guardian is back! Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 2:00 pm

Guardian are trend chasers & i can't stand them.

thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Guardian is back! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guardian is back!   Guardian is back! Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 2:20 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I bought FIRST WATCH back in the day because of its Stryper connection (Oz Fox produced the album) and thought it was OK, but not particularly memorable. It reminded me a lot of Dokken if memory serves. I traded it off ages ago and can't say I particularly miss it.

It does have a slight dokken vibe (early Dokken)
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

Guardian is back! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guardian is back!   Guardian is back! Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 2:21 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

It does have a slight dokken vibe (early Dokken)

Yea, the first time I listened to it (Dokken were defunct at the time) I probably thought "Well, if I ever start to really miss Dokken, I guess there's always this band" Laughing

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

Guardian is back! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guardian is back!   Guardian is back! Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 4:25 pm

NumbskullakaNazgul wrote:
Well Jamie has been doing stuff that sounded more like early Guardian with Adriangale so let's hope that's the direction they go.

Don't hold your breath.

Jamie is not really into 80s Metal at all except for the pop-culture side of it. Adriangale was 90%+ Vic...Jamie will tell you that. Jamie did those Adriangale records because he got paid, not because he's into the music (in other words, he would not have done it for free)...he was just making a little extra money at something he's good at ('80s' vocals). Don't look for Guardian to make a Fire And Love record...

Also, Jamie has said 3 or 4 times in the last few years that Guardian was firing back up, but it always fizzles out...frustrates him to death cuz he loves those guys.
Back to top Go down
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 668

Guardian is back! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guardian is back!   Guardian is back! Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 12:20 am

stevegarveyfan wrote:

Yeah, because they haven't already made enough money to provide for their families forever right. Come on dude, they could play polka and still have nothing to worry about financially. Now I remember why I love 80's hardcore punk bands (and a few newer one's) so much. They actually cared about the music, because they sure as hell knew that they weren't ever going to get popular playing that style.
Back to top Go down
stevegarveyfan
Metal master
Metal master
stevegarveyfan

Number of posts : 613

Guardian is back! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guardian is back!   Guardian is back! Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 3:21 pm

7thSecond wrote:
stevegarveyfan wrote:

Yeah, because they haven't already made enough money to provide for their families forever right. Come on dude, they could play polka and still have nothing to worry about financially. Now I remember why I love 80's hardcore punk bands (and a few newer one's) so much. They actually cared about the music, because they sure as hell knew that they weren't ever going to get popular playing that style.

I think I may have oversimplified it a bit. I don't mean for it to stop at the dinner table. They should be able to play music for themselves--whatever the heck the style is. No matter how much it sucks. It's their prerogative, like it or not. They don't HAVE to cater to my musical preference or yours. It's THEIR music, even if it sucks. I don't like it either, but it is THEIR music. Let 'em suck. You and I have many other choices in music, and I won't dwell on how much Metallica sucks. I'll just listen to another band that doesn't. There are loads of bands who have maintained musical integrity.

You're right in saying that they could be financially secure even if they played polka. It might be a little Weird Al-ish, but they could still sell it. I might even want to buy that one, if just for the sake of a good laugh!

We may disagree on this, but it's not really that important in the vast scheme of things. It's just music, and a hundred years from now, no one is gonna give a flyin' flip about what kind of music I liked.
Back to top Go down
YngwieDokkenfan
Metal student
Metal student
YngwieDokkenfan

Number of posts : 112

Guardian is back! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guardian is back!   Guardian is back! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 3:19 am

Fire and Love is an awesome album!! Was listening to it today. The vocals sound so much like Kip Winger 🤘 it is almost unreal, and that is a good thing!! The guitars are absolutely kick ass as well, but kicked up a notch over Winger. The guitar sounds remind me of 🤘 Autograph 🤘

I don't know how the band who made this awesome album could possibly make something like Bottle Rocket. That album is atrocious, LOL!!!
Back to top Go down

Guardian is back! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guardian is back!   Guardian is back! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 am

Bottle Rocket is a very good Pop Rock album...excellent writing and execution...
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

Guardian is back! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guardian is back!   Guardian is back! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 9:17 am

Boy singer gained a lot of weight!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQkA5Leee2s
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Number of posts : 2206

Guardian is back! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guardian is back!   Guardian is back! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 11:44 am

I hope they actually rock this time around!
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Guardian is back! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guardian is back!   Guardian is back! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 11:56 am

I realy love the first Guardian album, but I can't stand Bottle Rocket. I think they were like so many other Christian metal bands that morphed during the 90: In it for the message, not the music.

As for Metallica, what trends are you guys talking about? The band changed, yes, but I have yet to see any evidence of what trends they supposedly followed. What bands did they mimic? Every Metallica album sounds like Metallica to me.

Guardian is back! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guardian is back!   Guardian is back! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 12:27 pm

kmorg - some people claim Load & Re-Load sound like Grunge...whatever. Rolling Eyes

As for Guardian, like Def Leppard, from the very beginning they did what was "in" becuase they are fans of Pop oriented Rock bands and what's on the radio. Jamie was and is a HUGE fan of Cheap Trick even in the Hair Metal days. The guys like the Hair Metal, but not any more than other kinds of Rock music...they just play what they like. And whether it's F&L or BR, the songs have great hooks & catchy melodies...they just screw around with styles of Rock...and I think they're good at it. It stands to reason that a lot of their early fans would hate BR or even Buzz because its SO different...bu its kinda like comparing The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway to Invisible Touch...same band, different directions, but both good.
Back to top Go down

Guardian is back! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guardian is back!   Guardian is back! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 12:33 pm

We keep mentioning Fire And Love then BR and miss their best album, Miracle Mile. Trend chasers or not that was a great one.
Back to top Go down

Guardian is back! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guardian is back!   Guardian is back! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 12:36 pm

Yes it was...
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Guardian is back! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guardian is back!   Guardian is back! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 12:38 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
kmorg - some people claim Load & Re-Load sound like Grunge...whatever. Rolling Eyes

Laughing very hard GRUNGE!! Laughing very hard

Guardian is back! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guardian is back!   Guardian is back! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Guardian is back!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next