Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

DOKKEN - From Conception: Live 1981

Go down 
+8
mr.electric39
Todd Jaymz
Troublezone
MetalGuy71
krokus
kmorg
stepcousin
ultmetal
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

DOKKEN - From Conception: Live 1981 Empty
PostSubject: DOKKEN - From Conception: Live 1981   DOKKEN - From Conception: Live 1981 Icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2007 9:48 am

Anyone have this Rhino Records disc? If so, how is the sound quality?

Quote :

For this unique collection, Don Dokken unearthed—from the vaults housing the original masters for Breaking The Chains—rare and previously unreleased live recordings from a series of seminal 1981 West Coast dates. Features the recording debut of the Dokken original songs, plus the three previously unreleased songs “Goin’ Down,” “Hit And Run,” and “Liar,” as well as a rare early version of “Breakin’ The Chains.”

Dokken achieved global fame in 1983 as one of the most successful bands to emerge from Los Angeles’ era-defining metal scene. They had originally formed in Southern California in the late ’70s, and went on to have initial success in Germany, where they recorded their debut, Breaking The ChainsM, in 1981. Back in the U.S. after finishing the album, Don Dokken remembers “playing clubs in the L.A. music scene alongside groups such as Van Halen and Quiet Riot” while they shopped for a U.S. deal. Elektra signed them in ’82, and they went on to multi-platinum success.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN - From Conception: Live 1981   DOKKEN - From Conception: Live 1981 Icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2007 10:54 am

ya know alot of people dog Dokken and I just dont know why. They were IMO one of the best early 80's L.A. bands and most people dont realize that they were pretty much the first Sunset strip band to get signed and make it big, although most people credit Quiet Roit and Ratt for that.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN - From Conception: Live 1981   DOKKEN - From Conception: Live 1981 Icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2007 2:53 pm

This is a GREAT CD. I couldn't believe it was recorded in 1981, as the sound is way better then most studio albums from the 80's in general! A safe buy.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN - From Conception: Live 1981   DOKKEN - From Conception: Live 1981 Icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2007 3:19 pm

I dont have it yet, but i have order it on the net and hope to get it soon. Thanks for the info KMORG.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN - From Conception: Live 1981   DOKKEN - From Conception: Live 1981 Icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2007 3:21 pm

So...like where is it being sold? via the net, wal-mart?

'Bullets To Spare' is Dokken at her finest.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN - From Conception: Live 1981   DOKKEN - From Conception: Live 1981 Icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2007 3:40 pm

On the net, in shops, everywhere.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN - From Conception: Live 1981   DOKKEN - From Conception: Live 1981 Icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2007 3:53 pm

Tight N' Steel wrote:
So...like where is it being sold? via the net, wal-mart?

'Bullets To Spare' is Dokken at her finest.

I saw it in Wal-Mart the other day for $11 bucks. I'm a casual Dokken fan, so I passed but I've heard good things about it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN - From Conception: Live 1981   DOKKEN - From Conception: Live 1981 Icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2007 4:22 pm

Preciate the responces fellas...honestly, I'm surprised that this is getting Wal-Martesque exposure...this is focking awesome.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN - From Conception: Live 1981   DOKKEN - From Conception: Live 1981 Icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2007 4:29 pm

Tight N' Steel wrote:
Preciate the responces fellas...honestly, I'm surprised that this is getting Wal-Martesque exposure...this is focking awesome.

I was killing time looking through their cd section while the wife picked up a few things. I was quite surprised myself to see a Dokken cd in their racks. I could make a snide remark about the demographics of Wal-Mart clientel and fans of 80's hair bands, but that would be mean. Twisted Evil Afterall, I was shopping there too.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN - From Conception: Live 1981   DOKKEN - From Conception: Live 1981 Icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2007 4:56 am

Yeah i saw it at Wal-mart too and i had to return a defective Just Say Ozzy cd but believe it or not i chose to get a Eagle's "Best of" instead. I actually like the Eagles though so i'm not sweating it. But i would like to hear it especially the guitar solo track. Lynch shreds!!
Back to top Go down
Todd Jaymz
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Todd Jaymz

Number of posts : 324

PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN - From Conception: Live 1981   DOKKEN - From Conception: Live 1981 Icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2007 7:08 pm

It was a really cool cd to get, and the sound is great as well! The Dokken Unchain The Night/1986 is a cool dvd too. There is a long interview with Don and Mick full of interesting Dokken facts. Plus 11 of their classic Dokken vids! Rhino Records-TJ
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN - From Conception: Live 1981   DOKKEN - From Conception: Live 1981 Icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2007 9:44 pm

No dice at Wal-Mart for the Dokken CD, is what the fat lady told me behind the counter...this is malarky
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN - From Conception: Live 1981   DOKKEN - From Conception: Live 1981 Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2007 10:09 pm

I totally dug Dokken... "Till the Living End", "Tooth and Nail",
"Lighting Strikes Again", man those tunes were fast and HEAVY... great stuff. Not heard this new live disc (new disc of old live stuff....)
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN - From Conception: Live 1981   DOKKEN - From Conception: Live 1981 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 1:43 pm

Boinkity-boink...

Just got this disc from a trade pal yesterday and I'm diggin' it. (Keep in mind that I'm a bit of a Dokken fanboy -- I even like SHADOWLIFE! -- when I say that, of course.) Laughing

I'm sure this disc was subject to some post-production tinkering because it sounds too good to be a "live" disc from 1981, but the performances are great, the band's tight, and Don's voice sounds awesome.

The "1981" in the title is debatable anyway. If I were to take a wild guess I'd say this show was more likely taped in '82 or '83. Before they play "Breaking the Chains" Don sez "This is the title track to our new album," and said album wasn't even released till '82 (in Europe) and '83 (in the USA). He also sez "Maybe you've seen the video on the MTV" as well, and if I'm not wrong, the video for "Breakin' The Chains" wasn't released till '83. Don's liner notes say that this tape was found in storage with no date on it so maybe "1981" was just a wild guess on his part. You'd think he would've asked around or tried to carbon-date it or something (haha) before sticking that year on the front of the CD, though.

(Wikipedia seems to think it was recorded for the King Biscuit Flower Hour radio show most likely in '82 or '83)

What year it's from makes no never mind really. Either way... if ya likes Dokken, you'll like this CD.

End transmission.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN - From Conception: Live 1981   DOKKEN - From Conception: Live 1981 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 2:07 pm

I have to agree FF, I love the CD but no way it was recorded in 1981, for one thing that's Jeff Pilson on bass, who was not even on 'Breaking the Chains'.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN - From Conception: Live 1981   DOKKEN - From Conception: Live 1981 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 11:02 am

Thanks for the research, FF. I have to keep that in mind when I eventually do a write up for it for my website.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN - From Conception: Live 1981   DOKKEN - From Conception: Live 1981 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2014 4:25 pm

*BUMP*

So, a few years have passed. Is this album still worth adding to my cd collection? I may be filling in a few more holes in my Dokken discography and this is one of them that's missing.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN - From Conception: Live 1981   DOKKEN - From Conception: Live 1981 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2014 4:26 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
*BUMP*

So, a few years have passed. Is this album still worth adding to my cd collection? I may be filling in a few more holes in my Dokken discography and this is one of them that's missing.

I just listened to it again a week or two ago. I'd say it's a worthy pickup.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN - From Conception: Live 1981   DOKKEN - From Conception: Live 1981 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2014 4:36 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
*BUMP*

I just listened to it again a week or two ago. I'd say it's a worthy pickup.

It's on the want-list. Just deciding if or when I'll pull the trigger. No sure if I have the bullets to spare.  crazy happy 

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN - From Conception: Live 1981   DOKKEN - From Conception: Live 1981 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 11:28 am

This album sounds great. Almost too good for a 1981 recording, if you catch my drift. Worth a pick-up if you're a fan.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN - From Conception: Live 1981   DOKKEN - From Conception: Live 1981 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 11:46 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Almost too good for a 1981 recording, if you catch my drift. Worth a pick-up if you're a fan.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, the "1981" date was apparently a wild guess on Don's part because there was nothing written on the tape reel he found in the band's vault.

Some fans (who clearly have better research skills than Don does) believe that it was actually recorded around 1983 for the "King Biscuit Flower Hour" radio broadcast.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN - From Conception: Live 1981   DOKKEN - From Conception: Live 1981 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 11:53 am

It was more of a comment on just how clean and well-produced everything sounds for a "live" album. If there was studio trickery involved in this remastering, so be it. I'm not fussed over it. Not that a 2007 Don could still hit some of those notes of a 1981/83 Don.  Razz However, if this a true live recording, then WOW, were they good.

For a dollar, it's a worthy pick-up to add to the collection.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN - From Conception: Live 1981   DOKKEN - From Conception: Live 1981 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 12:29 pm

Listening to this again, there is no way this was originally recorded in 1981. Too many things just don't match-up in the timeline of things. The MTV reference is the biggest glaring mistake.

MTV went live on Aug. of '81, and Don make a reference to the "Breaking the Chains" video that everyone in the audience seems to know. From an album that wasn't released in the States until 1983. Whoops!!  Razz Ah well, what difference does it make?

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN - From Conception: Live 1981   DOKKEN - From Conception: Live 1981 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 12:34 pm

Quote :
The MTV reference is the biggest glaring mistake.

I believe he also introduces Jeff Pilson from the stage, and Jeff wasn't a member of Dokken yet in 1981. Juan Croucier was, but he split to join Ratt before the debut LP was recorded (the bass tracks on Breaking the Chains were ghosted by Accept's Peter Baltes).

Jeff joined just in time to appear in the music video for the title track, which hit MTV in 1983.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN - From Conception: Live 1981   DOKKEN - From Conception: Live 1981 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 4:00 pm

Not quite sure why I'm obsessing over this, but the more I read up about this release makes me wonder if Don (and his lawyer) knew this was a King Biscuit radio recording from '83, but intentionally played dumb and said it's from 1981 to avoid licensing issues. Maybe? Possibly?

If only I put this much attention to detail in my job.

PostSubject: Re: DOKKEN - From Conception: Live 1981   DOKKEN - From Conception: Live 1981 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next