Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Underrated Live Albums

Go down 
+19
Orion Crystal Ice
Neuropete
XYZ
DeathCult
Shiney
rattpoison
akeldama
Chairman_Smith
Metal Misfit
TheGooch
James B.
MetalGuy71
the sentinel
mr.electric39
caniplaywithmadness?
stepcousin
ultmetal
SAHB Healer
spiritoradio
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

Underrated Live Albums Empty
PostSubject: Underrated Live Albums   Underrated Live Albums Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2007 8:12 pm

What do you think some of rocks most underrated live albums are? A few that come to my mind are:

Blue Oyster Cult - Some Enchanted Evening
Blue Oyster Cult - Extraterrestrial Live
Kansas - Two For The Show
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Freebird: The Movie Soundtrack
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Underrated Live Albums   Underrated Live Albums Icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2007 10:51 pm

Oh man; I've just been getting into a couple of little known live CD's that are just killer. The Godz- Greatest Hits Live (Godz USA, 90's reunion); and The Earl Slick Band- Live 1976 (from an old radio show). They are both excellent representations of those respective bands; great midwestern/southern hard rock, well played and well recorded.
There's also a nice digipack which includes all four of Slade's live albums; the best being "On Stage". Anyone who wants to explore the "heavy" side of Slade should start there, not with the Slade "Rockers" digipack that has also just hit the market. The Live rocks much harder.

Also...
Be-bop Deluxe- Live in the Air Age
SAHB- Live
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Underrated Live Albums   Underrated Live Albums Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2007 8:21 am

Quote :
Be-bop Deluxe- Live in the Air Age

Good one! It's on my WANT list.

Scorpions - Tokyo Tapes
(always overlooked in favor of their 80's live album World Wide Live)

Blackfoot - Highway Song Live
(never, ever properly released in the U.S.! Not sure why. This is a great, classic, live album.)

Raven - Live at the Inferno
(one of the most intense live albums ever!)

Gillan - Double Trouble
(IMO, Gillan (the band) were vastly underrated in the 80's. They were as heavy as Judas Priest. This half live/half studio album was tremendous!)

Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush - RealLIVE!
(a 3 hour guitar jam and wank fest! Gotta love it!)

Ted Nugent & the Amboy Dukes - Survival of the Fittest: Live
(Ok, it doesn't overshadow Double Live Gonzo, but it's still a great live album IMO)

Peter Frampton - Comes Alive
(Frampton has a bad rap for being wimpy, but this MEGA-selling live album is actually very good.)

Judas Priest - Live
(Yes, Unleashed in the East is far superior, and the album cover art sucks on Live, but it's still a good live album IMO)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Underrated Live Albums   Underrated Live Albums Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2007 12:16 pm

I generally don't like live albums, but I think Iced Earth's Alive In Athens is one of the best I've ever heard. I don't think it's underrated, though. Haha.

I'd say Life Of Agony's River Runs Again is underrated. Keith Caputo has such a commanding voice, I actually got chills listening to it. Plus, he sings the songs a little different than on the albums, which I always like. I don't like live bands that just play every song note for note.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Underrated Live Albums   Underrated Live Albums Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2007 7:37 am

The 3 disc live album by Rush called Stages. Not the first two cd's, but the 3rd disc, it's a 1978 concert in Hammersmith in support of their album "A Farewell To Kings". It is better than "All The World" and "Exit" in my opinion. A little known live album nobody has heard of that is Rush in their prime.
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

PostSubject: Re: Underrated Live Albums   Underrated Live Albums Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2007 5:05 pm

I have the album Different Stages and yes that 3rd disc is fantastic.
Back to top Go down
caniplaywithmadness?
Metal master
Metal master
caniplaywithmadness?

Number of posts : 515

PostSubject: Re: Underrated Live Albums   Underrated Live Albums Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2007 8:26 am

different stages is a great album. the third disc is awesome

deep purple made in europe is underated. as is nobodys perfect. but i admit made in japan is the best deep purple live album
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Underrated Live Albums   Underrated Live Albums Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2007 8:38 am

Axel Rudi Pell - Knights Live

Metal Church - Live in Japan (w/ Mike Howe singing, not that weak ass "Live" album, that was put out with David Wayne on it)
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Underrated Live Albums   Underrated Live Albums Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2007 1:09 pm

Locky wrote:
Metal Church - Live in Japan (w/ Mike Howe singing, not
that weak ass "Live" album, that was put out with David Wayne on
it)

The David Wayne Live album isn't bad for what it is. It's basically a
bootleg, without overdubs. It was never meant to be releases as an
album, but is still a cool listen for fans who might not have otherwise
been able to hear the band in their heyday.

I've not heard Live in Japan. Wish I had it. It's not easy to find. Too bad it wasn't officially released in the States.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Underrated Live Albums   Underrated Live Albums Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2007 1:54 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Locky wrote:
Metal Church - Live in Japan (w/ Mike Howe singing, not
that weak ass "Live" album, that was put out with David Wayne on
it)

The David Wayne Live album isn't bad for what it is. It's basically a
bootleg, without overdubs. It was never meant to be releases as an
album, but is still a cool listen for fans who might not have otherwise
been able to hear the band in their heyday.

I've not heard Live in Japan. Wish I had it. It's not easy to find. Too bad it wasn't officially released in the States.

Damn it, I never knew I was in the Rock section and there I go and stick in two Metal albums, well maybe Axel could be listed here ? sorry.

I know what you mean about the David Wayne live album, that in a way was what I ment, I have no problems with the songs or David, it's just that release doesn't do it for me.

That Live in Japan CD is wicked, it's a hard one to get alright, I picked it up along time ago and live it immensly, Have you seen the Dynamo DVD yet ? I have a DVD of them at the Wacken ('98) I think it was, David was on lead again. haven't spoken to anyone who has the Dynamo DVD yet.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

PostSubject: Re: Underrated Live Albums   Underrated Live Albums Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2007 6:19 pm

Regarding Iced Earth in Athens, I think that's a love it or hate it CD. I've got some other concerts recorded in Athens, and I think certain bands like to record there because they get a lot of audience participation (Soccer/Football chants, etc.). I could see why bands and fans might like that, but it just ruins it for me. The Iced Earth especially, since the live arrangment is a little different for some of the songs, and the fans come in at the "wrong" time. I'm sure Iced Earth wanted it that way to convey the enthusiasm of the crowd, but it bugs me.
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

PostSubject: Re: Underrated Live Albums   Underrated Live Albums Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2007 10:08 pm

SAHB Healer wrote:
I think certain bands like to record there because they get a lot of audience participation (Soccer/Football chants, etc.). I could see why bands and fans might like that, but it just ruins it for me.

Agreed the album that drove me nuts was Iron Maiden's Rock In Rio. I know that it's not Greece but it's the same situation. The crowd is louder than the band, although the way Maiden plays their songs there is never anything really different about them, similar to Rush's live albums, there pretty much the same as what's on their studio albums.
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: Underrated Live Albums   Underrated Live Albums Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2007 11:29 pm

Thin Lizzy - Live Life - my first total introduction WOW

Scorps - Tokyo Tapes .... phenominal 'We'll Burn the Sky'

Iron Maiden - Rock in Rio -- brilliant performance total energy !!

Rez Band -- XX years live.... Great sound and performance

AC/DC - Live at Atlantic Studios --- bootleggers dream
released in Bon set..

Rush - yes disc 3 of Different Stages was fantastic a true
gem.... But I still prefer 'All the Worlds A Stage' for completeness....

BOC - Extraterrestial Live (one of my first live purchases
ETI live simply kills....)

Raven -- Live at the Inferno ( my friend Mark and I would play this one until the tape wore out..... )

Riot - Live with Rhett Forrester.... 6 song ep...

sorry kinda blended rock/metal methinks.....
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Underrated Live Albums   Underrated Live Albums Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2007 4:03 pm

Wasp's "Live...in the Raw" is absolutely one of my favorite live albums ever. I can't help but sing along with every song and even the talkin' that Blackie does. So much energy!!!🤘
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

PostSubject: Re: Underrated Live Albums   Underrated Live Albums Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2007 7:56 pm

I just bought Neil Diamond's "Hot August Night II" for $5 and it is totally worth it. Neil Diamond Rules!

Last edited by on Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Underrated Live Albums   Underrated Live Albums Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2007 2:40 pm

mr.electric39 wrote:
Thin Lizzy - Live Life - my first total introduction WOW

Yup, good one, but I like the BBC Radio One Live in Concert even better. It's not all overdubbed and cleaned up and had more balls. However, ya gotta love that live version of the Rocker on Live Life with just about all the Thin Lizzy guitarists sharing the stage together. Lemmy from Motorhead came out on stage for that as well.

ult
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

PostSubject: Re: Underrated Live Albums   Underrated Live Albums Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2007 12:36 am

spiritoradio wrote:
I just bought Neil Diamond's "Hot August Night II" for $5 and it is totally worth it. Neil Diamond Rules!

Does he sing "Don't Break the Oath" on that one? lol!
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

PostSubject: Re: Underrated Live Albums   Underrated Live Albums Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2007 6:47 pm

No but he does sing "Animal, F*#@ Like a Beast" for an encore.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

PostSubject: Re: Underrated Live Albums   Underrated Live Albums Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2007 12:39 am

Seriously though, speaking of various "Diamonds"; I'm told Legs Diamond made a pretty good live (reunion?) disc in the 90's. I was a huge fan of theirs, but I've never heard that disc. I'm going surfing right now to see if I can track it down anywhere.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Underrated Live Albums   Underrated Live Albums Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2007 3:16 am

Krokus-Alive And Screamin
Krokus-Fire And Gasoline Live
TT Quick-TT Live (i think this one is an absolute gem personally)
Thin Lizzy-One Night Live (Sykes and Gorham kill)

IronAge---
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Underrated Live Albums   Underrated Live Albums Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2007 8:21 am

IronAge wrote:
Krokus-Alive And Screamin
Krokus-Fire And Gasoline Live
TT Quick-TT Live (i think this one is an absolute gem personally)
Thin Lizzy-One Night Live (Sykes and Gorham kill)

IronAge---

All good additions. I personally think that Fire & Gasoline is a bit stronger than Alive & Screamin' in the Krokus catalog.

Thin Lizzy's On Night Live is good. Sykes constant pinch harmonics get annoying after a while. Of course, without Philip Lynott, it's not really Thin Lizzy, but only a Thin Lizzy tribute band.

Yes, the TT Quick live album is spectacular.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Underrated Live Albums   Underrated Live Albums Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2007 12:03 pm

Yeah,"Fire And Gasoline" does blow "Alive And Screamin" away doesn't it.Shame about Fernando having had cancer and then severely screwing up his playing hand...always liked him.Great band.

---
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Underrated Live Albums   Underrated Live Albums Icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2007 9:44 am

IronAge wrote:
Yeah,"Fire And Gasoline" does blow "Alive And Screamin" away doesn't it.Shame about Fernando having had cancer and then severely screwing up his playing hand...always liked him.Great band.

---

What happened to his hands? I missed that bit of news apparently.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Underrated Live Albums   Underrated Live Albums Icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2007 10:45 am

According to Marc,Fernando had a problem with one of his fingers,and they had to cancel the american leg of their tour in 2004 (due to an operation).Then Von Arb stepped down,Mandy Meyer came in and they came over in 05' and did a very short trek here,(saw one of the shows & they were d-mn good!) Maximum metal among others did an interview with Marc Storace in 2005 where he refered to this.

IronAge--
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Underrated Live Albums   Underrated Live Albums Icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2007 1:34 pm

Another one I am sitting here listening to right now:
TED NUGENT - Live At Hammersmith '79
(Live, raw, and unedited Ted Nugent! Gotta love it!)

PostSubject: Re: Underrated Live Albums   Underrated Live Albums Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Underrated Live Albums
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next