Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The John Paul Jones Appreciation Thread

Go down 
+10
sam
James B.
manny
Troublezone
GrandNational
SAHB Healer
rattpoison
Schbopo
MetalRob331
XYZ
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

The John Paul Jones Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The John Paul Jones Appreciation Thread   The John Paul Jones Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 12:58 pm

That's a lap steel.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: The John Paul Jones Appreciation Thread   The John Paul Jones Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 2:11 pm

detuned wrote:
Jones was really the "sonic architect" on many of the later Zeppelin albums. Primarily I think of songs like "No Quarter" (he was the primary writer on that one and played keyboards) and "The Rain Song" which is epic because of the mellotron accompaniment he added.

He also released a really kick ass record back the the 90's...

The John Paul Jones Appreciation Thread - Page 2 D637346408b

Zooma is a kick-ass album. I remember getting it in 1999 and thinking how great the bass sounded.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: The John Paul Jones Appreciation Thread   The John Paul Jones Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 2:16 pm

manny wrote:
James B. wrote:
Listen to the early live stuff Zeppelin III era and earlier. Jones and Bonham are a monster rhythm section. They took what both Cream and The Yardbirds were doing with British whiteboy blues and kicked it up into overdrive. Bonham at first glance goes right past most folks with what is really going on in his playing. It may sound simple and basic but the timing is quite unique and very subtle. The mastery he had with the use of the triplet is amazing. Again the command of timing is above and beyond normal talent. Too many folks equate speed and technical aptitude to what makes a good drummer, we all have an opinion. My point being, try to play it yourself and perhaps a new respect and / or perspective can be had.

Metalrob pay attention to this dude The John Paul Jones Appreciation Thread - Page 2 505193

He is talking about Bonham here, when did I ever mention anything about him? Also I have stated JPJ is a killer bassist. I only responded to someones post of Flea being overrated.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: The John Paul Jones Appreciation Thread   The John Paul Jones Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 3:05 pm

He mentioned the rhythm section which would refer to the bassist also, anyway Flea is great bassist but him and John Paul Jones are world's apart in terms of style, experience, and certainly generations.

Flea I believe was influenced by Sly and the Family Stone, Stevie Wonder, and Parilament-Funkadelic, and of course he also had a punk rock influence, where John Paul Jones comes very different world and culture, I am not telling anything you don't know, but I am agreement with you that Flea is a great bassist.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The John Paul Jones Appreciation Thread   The John Paul Jones Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 3:23 pm

Smindas wrote:
There's an amazing clip from the Guitar Wars DVD with John Paul Jones doing some fantastic slide guitar work (at least, that's what I think it is - I'm not really familiar with what he's actually playing on) with Steve Hackett, Nuno Bettencourt and Gary Cherone doing 'Hole-Hearted'.

Gary and Nuno sound so good together. They pull off live what Def Leppard can only do in a studio.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: The John Paul Jones Appreciation Thread   The John Paul Jones Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 3:44 pm

detuned wrote:
That's a lap steel.
A lap steel, huh? Learn something new every day then. Cheers for clearing that up.

Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: The John Paul Jones Appreciation Thread   The John Paul Jones Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 4:05 pm

manny wrote:
He mentioned the rhythm section which would refer to the bassist also, anyway Flea is great bassist but him and John Paul Jones are world's apart in terms of style, experience, and certainly generations.

Flea I believe was influenced by Sly and the Family Stone, Stevie Wonder, and Parilament-Funkadelic, and of course he also had a punk rock influence, where John Paul Jones comes very different world and culture, I am not telling anything you don't know, but I am agreement with you that Flea is a great bassist.

They both have great style and tons of experience but def worlds apart in generations. JPJ has some amazing basslines but gets overshadowed by Jimmy Pages 20 guitar parts on each song. JPJ really shines live on some of the live clips I have heard.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The John Paul Jones Appreciation Thread   The John Paul Jones Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 4:40 pm

Smindas wrote:
detuned wrote:
That's a lap steel.
A lap steel, huh? Learn something new every day then. Cheers for clearing that up.

David Gilmour plays one occasionally, probably the best example is on "One Of These Days (I'm Going To Cut You Into Little Pieces)"
Back to top Go down
Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: The John Paul Jones Appreciation Thread   The John Paul Jones Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 4:48 pm

JPJ is great, I'm an Entwhistle man myself. Flea is no slouch eithier.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The John Paul Jones Appreciation Thread   The John Paul Jones Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 4:56 pm

Hamer12 wrote:

There was quite a crop of great bass players that came out around that time:

John Entwhistle
John Paul Jones
Geezer Butler
Chris Squire
Andy Fraser (Free)
Roger Glover
Rick Laird (Mahavishnu Orchestra)
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: The John Paul Jones Appreciation Thread   The John Paul Jones Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 5:05 pm

detuned wrote:
Hamer12 wrote:

There was quite a crop of great bass players that came out around that time:

John Entwhistle
John Paul Jones
Geezer Butler
Chris Squire
Andy Fraser (Free)
Roger Glover
Rick Laird (Mahavishnu Orchestra)

Some great guys on that list. Geddy Lee started in 1968 as well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The John Paul Jones Appreciation Thread   The John Paul Jones Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2009 10:35 pm

Ah, I got Zooma too. We're probably amongst a gaggle of six or so fans who got. I remember buying it used, almost picked up Geddy Lee's solo debut the same time. Should have. Still haven't heard that whole thing. But, Zooma was a good 'un. It was like maybe two tracks shy of being great. What I want to hear, and what I was never quite good enough to pull off myself, is a track where a couple of four strings provide a nice rhythm track, whilst a good six string bass lays down some nice lead and harmonic work on top. Somethin fancy, a la Squire's The Fish, or Water's One Of These Days. But, even quicker tempoed, and heavier.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The John Paul Jones Appreciation Thread   The John Paul Jones Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The John Paul Jones Appreciation Thread
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2