Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The John Deacon Appreciation Thread

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

The John Deacon Appreciation Thread Empty
PostSubject: The John Deacon Appreciation Thread   The John Deacon Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 7:30 pm

Now I can't say I've been listening to Queen lately (I've listened to "Creeping Death" all weekend, for the sake of science of course), but I keep wondering how John Deacon keeps getting overlooked when it comes to Queen.

He was (is) one of the finest bass players of all time. Songs like "The Millionare Waltz," "Dragon Attack," "Under Pressure," and "Another One Bites The Dust (greatest bassline ever)," prove that Deacon could groove and have great technical ability at the same time.

The dude can write a hit tune as well. He wrote "Another One Bites The Dust (the band's biggest hit)," "You're My Best Friend," "Misfire," and "Spread Your Wings."

Just like John Paul Jones (you might recall that thread, too), John Deacon was one of the big reasons his band, Queen, is among the top-selling bands in the world.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: The John Deacon Appreciation Thread   The John Deacon Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 7:35 pm

Just another amazing musician in Queen
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: The John Deacon Appreciation Thread   The John Deacon Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 11:25 pm

John Deacon is an amazing musician and also an amazing songwriter who wrote alot of their big hits (Another One Bites the Dust and You're My Best Friend among others) but it is hard to get any attention when your lead vocalist is Freddie Mercury an incredible vocalist and larger than life frontman, and the guitarist is the great Brian May. He was smart, he let them have them and even Roger Taylor have the spotlight and the glory while he remained in the backround was able to keep a private life and earn some huge paychecks in the process.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The John Deacon Appreciation Thread   The John Deacon Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 12:05 am

Dragon Attack is one of the hippest bass lines of all-time. Most legendary bands have at least one member that shunned the spotlight, but their contributions were integral to the success of the whole.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: The John Deacon Appreciation Thread   The John Deacon Appreciation Thread Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 8:47 am

'Dragon Attack' is an excellent example of John Deacon's restrained style, playing a bassline that is main strength and body of the song, while still managing to stay in the shadows.

Very underrated bassist, when magazines talk about great bass players, John Deacon is rarely ever mentioned, it is criminal that has been so overlooked.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The John Deacon Appreciation Thread   The John Deacon Appreciation Thread Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The John Deacon Appreciation Thread
Page 1 of 1