Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What book are you currently reading?

Go down 
+95
mikeinfla
brokentulsa
ShadowAngel
Naurbereth
Gryphon-kl
Darkly
Sole Survivor
CRIMSONMASK
Wurthless
martinsane
SpectreFate
bassman
Witchfinder
Lari
shamgar75
mlotek
Motorsud
metalken
rawr!
Shawn Of Fire
TheDoctor'sScarf
stevegarveyfan
Thrasher73
FlyingV
Wargod
Joe
Getizzyback
Starman
Orion Crystal Ice
Angelcake Adonisus Fox
ZetaReticuli
chewie
jstate
T-Roy
iamrockerfun
Ultimate.Nightmare
metalhead777
DallasBlack
powermacho
mr.electric39
ultmetal
tohostudios
Metallic Blaze
Ford.Prefect
crazzycat
ryanmetalman
AchrisK
Rogue Angel
SideShowDisaSter
Louder
Olafsto
Eyesore
Shiney
Neuropete
GrandNational
QuothTheRaven
spiritoradio
dirtracin1
exact33
MoonChild
metalheaded
Sutekh
TheGooch
XYZ
Addy
Dave the Boss
the sentinel
thejokeriv
holydiver97595
SlaytanicPOWER
sheets
James B.
scottmitchell74
Zdan
MetalRob331
metalinmyveins
sam
RevBilly6207
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
Required Fields
Mglaffas81
EvyMetal
nevermore
Metal Misfit
kmorg
akeldama
rattpoison
SAHB Healer
Stender
Leatherface
manny
Schbopo
Troublezone
99 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

What book are you currently reading? - Page 37 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 37 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2012 2:14 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
"This is a Call: The Life and Times of Dave Grohl," a bio of the Nirvana/Probot/Foo Fighters drummer and all around cool rock n roll mofo. Looks like a good read.

Almost finished with this one and it's indeed a great read. Dave Grohl has had an interesting career path, starting with his teen years in various DC area hardcore and punk bands, to the top of the world with Nirvana, dealing with its aftermath, and then climbing the mountain again with the Foo Fighters, and by all accounts he's managed to keep his head together and remain a pretty humble, normal, nice guy. it's a great story.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 37 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2012 11:07 am

Just finished Pendragon by Stephen R Lawhead
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 37 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 10:10 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
"This is a Call: The Life and Times of Dave Grohl," a bio of the Nirvana/Probot/Foo Fighters drummer and all around cool rock n roll mofo. Looks like a good read.

Almost finished with this one and it's indeed a great read. Dave Grohl has had an interesting career path, starting with his teen years in various DC area hardcore and punk bands, to the top of the world with Nirvana, dealing with its aftermath, and then climbing the mountain again with the Foo Fighters, and by all accounts he's managed to keep his head together and remain a pretty humble, normal, nice guy. it's a great story.

Sounds pretty interesting. Glad it wasn't a book tearing him down. I like the guy and his music and would hate to read a book that makes him look like a big dick and all that public image is just smoke & mirrors.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 37 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 1:34 pm

Does the Grohl book have anything about the fact Cobain always wanted to fire him? Or anything about their personal relationship? In the book Heavier Than Heaven (which not surprisingly was sourced by Courtney Love) they made it sound like Grohl was an incompetent drummer holding the band back and who was lucky to be there. Time has proven that ridiculous but I always thought it was strange to take after Grohl for his drumming.

Not long ago I was listening to the Scream album he played on. The drumming on that thing is incredible.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 37 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2012 4:33 pm

^^ The Grohl book does say that his relationship with Cobain during the Nirvana years had its ups and downs, especially when Grohl first joined the band... but overall he considered Kurt to be a close friend.

...on topic, I have a terrible habit of starting books, then putting them down before they're finished to pick up another one, so this afternoon I finished off the bits & pieces of two recent not-quite-done reads - Stephen King's "Duma Key" and "Alien Vs. Predator: War" by S.D. Perry. Now I'm moving on to a cheap pulpy monster-mash horror novel I picked up over the weekend called "Carnivore" by Leigh Clark, an Antarctican-set ripoff of John Carpenter's "The Thing" with a re-animated T-Rex in place of an alien.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 37 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 10:49 am

Quote :
In the book Heavier Than Heaven (which not surprisingly was sourced by Courtney Love) they made it sound like Grohl was an incompetent drummer holding the band back and who was lucky to be there.

Quote :
The Grohl book does say that his relationship with Cobain during the Nirvana years had its ups and downs, especially when Grohl first joined the band... but overall he considered Kurt to be a close friend

Courtney has spouted off many, many times to anyone that would listen to her about how Kurt hated Dave, but considder the source. insane

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 37 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 11:24 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :
In the book Heavier Than Heaven (which not surprisingly was sourced by Courtney Love) they made it sound like Grohl was an incompetent drummer holding the band back and who was lucky to be there.

Quote :
The Grohl book does say that his relationship with Cobain during the Nirvana years had its ups and downs, especially when Grohl first joined the band... but overall he considered Kurt to be a close friend

Courtney has spouted off many, many times to anyone that would listen to her about how Kurt hated Dave, but considder the source. insane

Courtney Love has made bizarre allegations regarding their daughter Francis Bean Cobain, stating he made moves on her, Francis Bean Cobain was so angered by this she made a rare statement, stating no such thing has ever happened and that Grohl has always been a gentlemen to her , and to memory of her father.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 37 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 11:35 am

manny wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :

Quote :

Courtney Love has made bizarre allegations regarding their daughter Francis Bean Cobain, stating he made moves on her, Francis Bean Cobain was so angered by this she made a rare statement, stating no such thing has ever happened and that Grohl has always been a gentlemen to her , and to memory of her father.

Yea, I remember that. Francis pretty much called her own mother a loon and a liar in public. I know Courtney and Dave have battled legally over the Nirvana back-catalog. Whenever something "new" (box set, dvd, etc.) is about to be released, Courtney unleashes a torrent of insults and legal mumbo-jumbo about how she's in charge of everything. Wether she is legally or not, her rants just make her looks all the more foolish and insane.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 37 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 11:37 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
manny wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :

Quote :

Yea, I remember that. Francis pretty much called her own mother a loon and a liar in public. I know Courtney and Dave have battled legally over the Nirvana back-catalog. Whenever something "new" (box set, dvd, etc.) is about to be released, Courtney unleashes a torrent of insults and legal mumbo-jumbo about how she's in charge of everything. Wether she is legally or not, her rants just make her looks all the more foolish and insane.

She isn't anymore she sold her share of her husband's estate to a third party which angered Francis Bean even further, her feelings was her mother had no right to sell her father's legacy.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 37 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 11:40 am

Well, in fairness to Courney, she probably got some really fine blow for it.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 37 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 1:26 pm

Grohl did have some not-so-complementary things to say about Courtney Love in that book now that I think about it... haha. It sez that he and Kurt were pretty close friends and would usually bunk in the same hotel rooms on the road till Courtney came into the picture.

Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 37 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2012 6:48 pm

two interesting ones this week

The Man In The Rockefeller Suit

and

The Barefoot Bandit

both about recent serial criminals at very different ends of the social spectrum. The only thing these guys had in common was that they both had brass balls. Amazing stories.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 37 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 3:40 pm

Just finished "Carnivore" by Leigh Clark -- cheesy pulp horror nonsense about scientists at a research facility in Antarctica who discover a long-frozen Tyrannosaurus egg, thaw it out, and before you know it they've got a full grown T-Rex running amuck and chomping down on everyone in sight. This would make a great SyFy Channel movie.

Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 37 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 4:32 pm

Still only working on the Ace Frehley one Im maybe 30 pages if not less to finishing it
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 37 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 5:14 pm

Guns, Germs & Steel - Jared Diamond
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 37 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 7:46 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

I saw that in the bookstore and I would like to get it being a big fan of the Foos and Grohl. I read a book called the Dave Grohl story a few years back and I went through the book in a few days
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 37 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 8:00 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
^^ The Grohl book does say that his relationship with Cobain during the Nirvana years had its ups and downs, especially when Grohl first joined the band... but overall he considered Kurt to be a close friend.

...on topic, I have a terrible habit of starting books, then putting them down before they're finished to pick up another one, so this afternoon I finished off the bits & pieces of two recent not-quite-done reads - Stephen King's "Duma Key" and "Alien Vs. Predator: War" by S.D. Perry. Now I'm moving on to a cheap pulpy monster-mash horror novel I picked up over the weekend called "Carnivore" by Leigh Clark, an Antarctican-set ripoff of John Carpenter's "The Thing" with a re-animated T-Rex in place of an alien.

In the Foo Fighters bio DVD Butch Vig who produced their latest album and Nirvana's Nevermind had said that when Kurt and Krist saw Dave play drums Kurt had called Butch and left a msg saying that they met the best drummer in the world and that he was amazing, in the book which mostly is a farce as Kurt had a habit of making up stories "Come As You Are" by Michael Azzlerod he was described as a "Baby Dale Crover" who drummed for Nirvana briefly, Dale Crover was the drummer Nirvana always wanted but they didnt want to be responsible for breaking up one of their favorite bands which I think was the Melvins I am not 100% so their search continued.....
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 37 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 12:42 pm

Right now I'm about halfway through "The Grays" by Whitley Streiber, a sci-fi novel involving alien abductions, bizarre genetic experiments on humans by said aliens, the usual U.S. Government cover-ups and quite possibly the end of the world.

I started this one about a year and a half or two years ago (I probably mentioned it somewhere way early in this thread!), but I couldn't get into it at the time, so I bailed on it after only a few chapters. Once I started re-reading it this time, though, I got hooked pretty quick. Maybe I just wasn't in the right "mood" for it last time out.

Back to top Go down
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 37 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2012 10:43 am

QuothTheRaven wrote:
I've been reading "Handling the Undead," a very interesting twist on the zombie mythos by John Ajvide Lindqvist, the same Swedish author that wrote "Let the Right One In." I've read that, too, and I have his third novel, "Harbour," waiting on deck. This guy is a fantastic author, rethinking what everyone takes for granted about legendary horror archetypes. Highly recommended.

I'm about two thirds of the way through "Harbour" and I can safely say that this one lives up to the other two. This one tackles a couple of horror conventions, the all-around creepy Gothic ghost story, and the isolated seaside village that keeps a secret. Again, Lindqvist has approached from a different angle, making it a fresh idea. After the initial prologue, the main novel has kind of a slow start, introducing characters and setting, but interesting enough to not make you put it down. Once every few pages he injects a jolt that hints at creepier things to come; each of these is slightly more disturbing than the one before. This guy is good. Buy him and read him!
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 37 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 9:50 pm

Halfway through both: Mountain of Silence by Markides and Brave New World by Huxley
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 37 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 10:15 pm

Lord of the Rings - Fellowship of the Ring

muckie
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
muckie

Number of posts : 493

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 37 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 12:00 am

-The Harvard Classics: Aesop/Andersen/Grimm
-Italian Fables by Italo Calvino (still haven't read all the stories in this one but its already a classic in my opinion!)
-The Jungle Book

I mostly read:
-folk/fairy tales
-short stories/novellas
-religion and philosophy-related material

I have given up reading quite a few books recently due to lack of interest such as The Hobbit and Neuromancer.
Animal Farm and Wizard of Oz are some of my faves though.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 37 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 3:46 am

The Evil Mother by Fred Rosen
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 37 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 11:47 am

Just began volume two of LBJ biography: Flawed Giant by Robert Dallek
Back to top Go down
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 37 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 1:30 pm

Currently reading:

This Is Gonna Hurt-Nikki Sixx
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 37 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What book are you currently reading?
Page 37 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next