Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What book are you currently reading?

Go down 
+95
mikeinfla
brokentulsa
ShadowAngel
Naurbereth
Gryphon-kl
Darkly
Sole Survivor
CRIMSONMASK
Wurthless
martinsane
SpectreFate
bassman
Witchfinder
Lari
shamgar75
mlotek
Motorsud
metalken
rawr!
Shawn Of Fire
TheDoctor'sScarf
stevegarveyfan
Thrasher73
FlyingV
Wargod
Joe
Getizzyback
Starman
Orion Crystal Ice
Angelcake Adonisus Fox
ZetaReticuli
chewie
jstate
T-Roy
iamrockerfun
Ultimate.Nightmare
metalhead777
DallasBlack
powermacho
mr.electric39
ultmetal
tohostudios
Metallic Blaze
Ford.Prefect
crazzycat
ryanmetalman
AchrisK
Rogue Angel
SideShowDisaSter
Louder
Olafsto
Eyesore
Shiney
Neuropete
GrandNational
QuothTheRaven
spiritoradio
dirtracin1
exact33
MoonChild
metalheaded
Sutekh
TheGooch
XYZ
Addy
Dave the Boss
the sentinel
thejokeriv
holydiver97595
SlaytanicPOWER
sheets
James B.
scottmitchell74
Zdan
MetalRob331
metalinmyveins
sam
RevBilly6207
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
Required Fields
Mglaffas81
EvyMetal
nevermore
Metal Misfit
kmorg
akeldama
rattpoison
SAHB Healer
Stender
Leatherface
manny
Schbopo
Troublezone
99 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

What book are you currently reading? - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 7:02 am

Dave the Boss wrote:
Rereading The Great Gatsby again, still one of my favorite books. I did a paper on the evolution of the concept of the American Dream in 20th century American literature for my exam paper (every highschool student in Holland has do a paper on a subject they can choose themselves in their final year), and the books I used were The Great Gatsby, On the Road and Fight Club. All the symbolic stuff in The Great Gatsby make is such an amazing book imo.

I am huge fan of both Kerouac and Fitzgerald, and they do represent sort of bookends to their respective generations American experience, Fitzgerald (roaring 20's) and Kerouac's post-war America.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 9:15 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Last night I finished "Iceberg" by Clive Cussler and started "Timeline" by Michael Crichton.

Timeline was GREAT, much better than the movie!!!!

Did you read State Of Fear?

Nah, I'm a little behind on my Crichton... I think the last thing of his I read was "Airframe" and that was quite a few years ago... I'm just getting back into the reading-a-book-before-bed habit again, I kept on buyin' em even though I never had time to read'em so they were starting to pile up a little... Laughing

State Of Fear is really good - great points about "global warming" - basically, it pissed off the global warming crowd and points out what the research really says about "global warming" and how the research is twisted
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 4:35 pm

Scar Tissue by Anthony Keidis
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 6:06 pm

Just finished Inside Out by Nick Mason. I thought it was a very interesting read.

I'm now reading Cobb by Al Stump.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 10:32 am

xyz wrote:
Just finished Inside Out by Nick Mason. I thought it was a very interesting read.

How is cobb?
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 10:38 am

Shakespear - Julius Caesar
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 11:16 am

Et tu, scottmitchell74? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 11:28 am

Addy wrote:
xyz wrote:

How is cobb?

It's billed as one of the greatest baseball biographies ever written. Stump actually lived with Cobb for about a year, I believe. I've only gotten through the first chapter, but from what I've read, Ty Cobb had severe anger issues (mental-illness level anger).
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 3:54 pm

Did you know they made a movie based on the book? I should say about Al Stump and Ty Cobb it had Tommy Lee Jones as Ty Cobb

It was a great movie id love to read the book
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2009 2:35 pm

I just got done reading two books:

Van Halens: Everybody Wants Some & Mike Matusow: Check Raising The Devil. I enjoyed the Van Halen book, but the book about Mike Matusow was phenomenal.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2009 7:39 pm

larry niven - ringworld
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 1:03 am

Has anyone read "Off the Rails" by Rudy Sarzo? I saw it today in one of the chain bookstores out there, and I was just wondering if anyone of you have read it?
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 2:17 am

metalinmyveins wrote:
Has anyone read "Off the Rails" by Rudy Sarzo? I saw it today in one of the chain bookstores out there, and I was just wondering if anyone of you have read it?

It's good, i recommend it. You learn a lot about Randy in the book.

Last edited by Troublezone on Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 2:20 am

Troublezone wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:

It's good, i recommend it. Rudy was friends with Randay and a lot of the book is about them hanging out.

Cool, it's my next read. I'm finishing up a book, but I should be done with that in a week's time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 3:59 pm

Breaking Dawn. I had to see what my kids were carrying on about and I admit I got hooked.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2009 10:02 pm

Black Cross by Greg Iles
Back to top Go down
Sutekh
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 12:13 am

The Riddle of the Titanic, an interesting read about a conspiracy theory! Interesting, but occasionally heavy going.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 9:23 am

I am reading two books:

Plain Speaking:An Oral Biography of Harry S. Truman by Merle Miller
The Flash Companion (DC COMics) by Keith Dallas ( a history on the character)
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 1:51 pm

The Call of Cthulhu and other Dark Tales by H.P. Lovecraft
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 2:05 pm

I just finished up reading "Wait Til Next Year" by Doris Kearns Goodwin a couple of weeks ago. It's an excellent read! It's centered in 1940's/50's Brooklyn. The book's primary focus is on that of the Brooklyn Dodgers, and the heartbreak that this borough of N.Y.C. went through on a yearly basis at the hands of their nemesis the Yankees. The book also captures the life of a young girl who romanticized what it was like to grow up in an era where neighbors were friendly and a community was tight knit. The book as well gives you a blue print into Doris' love for history, and how those years shaped her into one of the most renowned Presidential historians of our time.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 4:05 pm

I also just got done reading "Big Russ & Me". I had bought the book many years ago for my Mother's husband, whose Father also fought in WW II (like that of Big Russ). I borrowed it last summer, and there it sat. I can't say why it sat, because the book is a real page turner. It in many ways resembles the book I mentioned in the previous post. "Big Russ & Me" can best be defined as a book that salutes the generation that Tom Brokaw so beautifully wrote about in "The Greatest Generation". This book encompasses more than just one decade, and it takes you on a journey of Tim Russert's life, focusing first on his years in a parochial class setting, then onto college, and finally his adult life, which encompassed his time in politics and that at NBC, and most importantly his life as a father and a husband. Anyone who had a close relationship with their Father will love this book. I should've read this a long time ago!
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 4:11 pm

I've just started reading "The Nine: Inside the Secret World of the Supreme Court" by Jeffrey Toobin. I'm a little more than 50 pages in, and so far it is EXCELLENT!!! After I finish, I'll write a more comprehensive review.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 5:52 pm

Just read Flash Forward - ABC used the book as the premise for a new show. Basically, everyone in the world blacks out for almost two minutes and has visions 23 years in the future. Book was really good, read it in one sitting. I hope the TV show captures the essence of the book. I don't see how ABC can do more than a 1 or 2 years based on the book, but I will check it out when it airs.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 8:25 pm

The Heroin Diaries by Nikki Sixx
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 8:55 pm

nevermore wrote:
The Heroin Diaries by Nikki Sixx

How many times do ya figure the "F" word is in that book? Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What book are you currently reading?
Page 5 of 40Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next