Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rush - Synth Period

Go down 
+3
thejokeriv
stepcousin
Chairman_Smith
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

Rush - Synth Period Empty
PostSubject: Rush - Synth Period   Rush - Synth Period Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2009 3:10 am

Like alot of people I have a hard time stomaching their synth period, but I think this is mostly the production. I've been listening to R30 and Subdivisions sounds really cool in a beefed up live setting.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Rush - Synth Period   Rush - Synth Period Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2009 7:17 am

I like everything Rush has ever made. I actually like Power Windows and Hold Your Fire more than Presto and Roll The Bones. I dont think they so much lost their way with the synth era but more so in the late 80's/early 90's when the climate of music changed yet again. I think most prog rock bands of the 70's kinda lost their way a bit in the mid to late 80's (see Pink Floyd, Kansas, Genesis, Yes) so it wasnt just a Rush thing. But ya know what? The "late 80's" was 20 years ago so now I can appreciate that era more now when you look back on it, knowing what the 90's would bring to the table(alternative, grunge, nu-metal, etc...).

I agree what you said with the newer approach to the 80's songs that Rush does now. Like "Between The Wheels" has kind of a slow doomy feel now and "Analog Kid" and "Digital Man" are less keyboardy-sounding.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Rush - Synth Period   Rush - Synth Period Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2009 9:29 am

I love the song subdivisions!!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rush - Synth Period   Rush - Synth Period Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2009 10:14 am

This whole era is kind of unfairly looked upon which is a shame, especially since I consider Signals and Grace Under Pressure to be a couple of their very best albums. The only one I have a problem with is Hold Your Fire and that has more to do with being extremely over-produced (as was the standard in that era) as any other factor.

Rush started using synthesizers on A Farewell To Kings and they were fairly prominent in their sound by the time Moving Pictures came into being. Signals was really just the next logical step in their progression.

I also agree with stepcousin that the early 90's albums like Presto & Roll The Bones are weaker than the 80's synth period (however, there are good songs on both albums). Rush didn't really seem to rebound until Counterparts.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Rush - Synth Period   Rush - Synth Period Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2009 11:28 am

I do not believe Rush ever lost their way, just some fans lost them, they didn't get what they were doing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Rush - Synth Period   Rush - Synth Period Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2009 1:44 pm

I like every Rush ever released with the expection of 'Hold Your Fire', as far as synths, it never bothered me with Rush since they used the synsths to enhance their sound rather than be overwhelmed by them.
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: Rush - Synth Period   Rush - Synth Period Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2009 5:18 pm

candlemass wrote:
I do not believe Rush ever lost their way, just some fans lost them, they didn't get what they were doing.

Bro you so nailed it !!

They always have done what they wanted to do. The kind of music they liked. I must admit 'Hold Your Fire' back in the day left me very disappointed. HOWEVER upon current inspection this disc has some FANTASTIC songs on it.

"Lock and Key" Break down is PRIME RUSH
"Mission" BRILLIANT TIME CHANGE IN THE BREAKDOWN!!!
"Open Secrets"
"Turn the Page" break down section is PRIME RUSH
"High Water"

"Force Ten"
"Time stands Still"

yes this disc is very polished, but to me Alex's choice of the Gallen Krueger guitar set up is what cut the guts out of the record. It was his choice at the time and it definatley takes away from the crunch, but this disc is a dark horse w/out a doubt.....

Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com

PostSubject: Re: Rush - Synth Period   Rush - Synth Period Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2009 5:28 pm

I do enjoy some of the songs on Hold Your Fire (especially Force Ten, Time Stands Still & Mission), but the overly slick production is what causes me issues.

Most of these songs sounded better live.
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: Rush - Synth Period   Rush - Synth Period Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2009 9:22 pm

I think the material is strong, its just the production that bothers me.
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Rush - Synth Period   Rush - Synth Period Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2009 11:32 pm

candlemass wrote:

Right on.
Every album has been for the time and yet timeless and in their own way. They are one band that has never been caught in a rut. There is something I like about every Rush album, even Hold Your Fire. Not sure if the album was over produced or if they were going for a specific mood and feel. The one thing I think really stands out about this album is the overt pouring of emotion. Each note of the songs seem to focus around the vocals and what the song is trying to say. The guitar and drums only play a supporting role on this album, and it works. My favorite from this period is probably signals. The songs hit pretty hard and with such clarity and depth.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rush - Synth Period   Rush - Synth Period Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rush - Synth Period
Page 1 of 1