Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Metal bands that use the synth best

Go down 
+16
metalhead777
HeavyMetal
adrian
Leatherface
Coram Deo
chewie
Stender
CRIMSONMASK
BearOnUnicycle
ultmetal
Fat Freddy
Andy
MetalGuy71
thejokeriv
Temple of Blood
Arjun_M
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Arjun_M
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 39

Metal bands that use the synth best Empty
PostSubject: Metal bands that use the synth best   Metal bands that use the synth best Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 7:39 am

Synthesisers. Not something that metal fandom of old has really accepted. Yet, we've had some bands that make really good use of synths. Which ones can you name? So far, these seem the best users of the instrument, without adding random horny noises, generic organ/piano solos and an overused faux string-quartet backup. I'm not looking for just the neoclassical soloists, but also those who provide a futuristic sound, and the synth creating an environment- a lot like Rush in the 1980s. A few I can name are Threshold, Pagan's Mind, Dream Theater, Symphony X, Tarot, Pretty Maids and Queensryche (mostly the 1980s and Empire), for a band that didn't have a keyboardist.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that use the synth best   Metal bands that use the synth best Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 8:14 am

DREAM THEATER by far.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that use the synth best   Metal bands that use the synth best Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 8:24 am

Rush used keys in pretty cool ways like Tom Sawyer.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that use the synth best   Metal bands that use the synth best Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 8:29 am

Dream Theater (duh!), Queensryche (just listen to Rage For Order!!!), Iron Maiden (used just to enhance the song), Firewind and any of the euro-power metal bands, Fates Warning.... I am sure I will think of more later
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that use the synth best   Metal bands that use the synth best Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 9:43 am

In my opinion, the ones that use it best are the ones where I don't notice it.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 328

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that use the synth best   Metal bands that use the synth best Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 9:50 am

Sabaton, Stratovarius, Deep Purple
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Andy618
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that use the synth best   Metal bands that use the synth best Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 9:50 am

Type O Negative's first album (SLOW, DEEP & HARD) had my favorite keyboard sound ever.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

More bands need to use them ... and more bands need to use them WELL IMHO.

The most shredding keys I have ever heard was in the solo in UK's "Presto Vivace". Now THAT'S the kind of thing that would make you want to pick up the instrument the way rockers are inspired by their favorite guitarists.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that use the synth best   Metal bands that use the synth best Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 10:29 am

I was listening to Deliverance - Assimilation this morning. It's loaded with synth. I actually got bored with it about five songs in and turned it off and put on some Halford instead. Metal bands that use the synth best 604261

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that use the synth best   Metal bands that use the synth best Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 11:47 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
In my opinion, the ones that use it best are the ones where I don't notice it.
Back to top Go down
CRIMSONMASK
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
CRIMSONMASK

Number of posts : 349

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that use the synth best   Metal bands that use the synth best Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 11:51 am

Uriah Heep, Deep Purple, Children of Bodom(at least on Hatecrew), Sabaton

Do key-tars count?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that use the synth best   Metal bands that use the synth best Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 12:07 pm

Just to clarify, we're talking about synthesisers here, not hammond organs or piano, right? I'm not the biggest Deep Purple fan, but I don't think of them as using "synth". They have an organist.

When I think of synths, I'm thinking of electronic music that's trying to sound like an orchestra or other instrument, usually failing.

I see a clear difference between electric organ or piano and a synthesiser.

Quote :
Do key-tars count?

Don't ever type those words again around here, you hear me! Metal bands that use the synth best 308838

The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that use the synth best   Metal bands that use the synth best Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 12:26 pm

Nocturnus was arguably the first death metal band to ever implement them in the genre and they sounded great.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that use the synth best   Metal bands that use the synth best Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 1:06 pm

Dream Theater with Kevin Moore, specifically on Awake. Awake has some really good sounds(I would call them soundscapes) and not just a bunch of noodling....... and I like noodling. He knew when to hold back and set up the scene.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that use the synth best   Metal bands that use the synth best Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 1:48 pm

I prefer the sound of analog keyboards and synths, I've seen a return to using this sound and avoiding the cheesy 80's synth sound.

Hammond Organ, Fender Rhodes, Wurlitzer, Moog, Oberheim...I'd love to see more metal bands add these to their arsenal (even if they are just computer patches that re-create these sounds).

Back to top Go down
Coram Deo
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Coram Deo

Number of posts : 254

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that use the synth best   Metal bands that use the synth best Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 2:04 pm

Stender wrote:
Nocturnus was arguably the first death metal band to ever implement them in the genre and they sounded great.

Nocturnus would be my first choice as well Stender! The guys voice was wicked as well, the drummer if I remember correctly...

Faith no More, Sabaton.
Back to top Go down
http://annoyedelephants.wordpress.com/
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that use the synth best   Metal bands that use the synth best Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 2:09 pm

S.D. wrote:
I prefer the sound of analog keyboards and synths, I've seen a return to using this sound and avoiding the cheesy 80's synth sound.

Hammond Organ, Fender Rhodes, Wurlitzer, Moog, Oberheim...I'd love to see more metal bands add these to their arsenal (even if they are just computer patches that re-create these sounds).

On Falling Into Infinity Derek Sherinian(a big Jan Hammer fan) uses a lot of those vintage sounds, maybe even sampled mellotron(I highly doubt that he used a real one, they are hard to come by..... Spock's Beard even used samples on one of their albums, V ?????). I'll put that one on here as well.

I actually like this album, very song oriented............ less wank.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that use the synth best   Metal bands that use the synth best Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 2:12 pm

Opeth used an actual Mellotron when recording Heritage, the making of footage shows Mikael changing the tape reels.

I've always wanted to see one of those machines close up.
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that use the synth best   Metal bands that use the synth best Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 12:35 am

Nocturnus for me as well.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that use the synth best   Metal bands that use the synth best Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 1:04 am

Iron Maiden for sure. Somewhere in Time is my favorite album of theirs.

I saw Symphony X named and I love their stuff

Some might think I'm crazy, but I thought the songs on Sadus's last album that had the synth sounded pretty cool in a way!
Back to top Go down
HeavyMetal
Metal novice
Metal novice
HeavyMetal

Number of posts : 33

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that use the synth best   Metal bands that use the synth best Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 8:55 am

I think a lot of newer Power Metal bands have been incorporating too much synth for my personal tastes. Some do use it well, though.

Iron Maiden. Somewhere in Time is a prime example of how synth in metal should sound.
Dream Theater certainly
Queensryche
Symphony X
Vision Divine
Judas Priest - I actually love the TURBO album.
Running Wild - On the few songs they use it, it is to accentuate the melody.
Axel Rudi Pell
Dio
Faith No More
Savatage
Type o Negative
Virgin Steele

and the best?

SABATON!
Back to top Go down
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that use the synth best   Metal bands that use the synth best Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 9:29 pm

Too tired to think of any more right now.

Back to top Go down
superjuice
Metal novice
Metal novice
superjuice

Number of posts : 15

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that use the synth best   Metal bands that use the synth best Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 5:13 pm

Circus Maximus. Cuz, you know, it sounds like a circus, but with crunchy guitars.
Back to top Go down
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that use the synth best   Metal bands that use the synth best Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 9:18 pm

DT's Awake has got to be (one of) the best synthworks in all of Rock and metal
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that use the synth best   Metal bands that use the synth best Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 1:26 am

EmoElmo wrote:
DT's Awake has got to be (one of) the best synthworks in all of Rock and metal

Yep!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Metal bands that use the synth best   Metal bands that use the synth best Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Metal bands that use the synth best
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next