Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Question about Iced Earth's The Dark Saga...

Go down 
+7
Smindas
MetalRob331
kmorg
sam
DallasBlack
Gilbert
INVADERS
11 posters
AuthorMessage
INVADERS
Metal master
Metal master
INVADERS

Number of posts : 937

Question about Iced Earth's The Dark Saga... Empty
PostSubject: Question about Iced Earth's The Dark Saga...   Question about Iced Earth's The Dark Saga... Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 7:40 am

Maybe I'm just an Idiot or just plain ignorant but why are the last 3 tracks on the album referred to as The Suffering Trilogy?
If the whole album is a concept album based on the Spawn comics, then why create a trilogy of the last 3 songs...

Any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Question about Iced Earth's The Dark Saga...   Question about Iced Earth's The Dark Saga... Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 8:51 am

One of the first iced earth albums i bought. Listened to it once and left it somewhere in my library. It might seem weird, but i never could enjoy this band. Suspect
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Question about Iced Earth's The Dark Saga...   Question about Iced Earth's The Dark Saga... Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 8:56 am

Gilbert wrote:
One of the first iced earth albums i bought. Listened to it once and left it somewhere in my library. It might seem weird, but i never could enjoy this band. Suspect

Spectrefate shares your opinion on them. I on the other hand love them and count Dark Saga as my favorite and first album from them. Sorry Invaders, I have no answer to your question.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Question about Iced Earth's The Dark Saga...   Question about Iced Earth's The Dark Saga... Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 9:01 am

The only iced earth album to have spinned on my cd player a couple of times is horror show. Very good musicianship. Maybe with repetitive listens, this band will end up growing on me?
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Question about Iced Earth's The Dark Saga...   Question about Iced Earth's The Dark Saga... Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 9:57 am

Gilbert wrote:
The only iced earth album to have spinned on my cd player a couple of times is horror show. Very good musicianship. Maybe with repetitive listens, this band will end up growing on me?

go grab the days of purgatory, good overall representation of their career.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Question about Iced Earth's The Dark Saga...   Question about Iced Earth's The Dark Saga... Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 11:32 am

Good question. And I don't really know. Maybe they wrote that song the first, as a follow up to "Dante's Inferno" from 'Burnt Offerings'? Then they proceeded to make a full concept album afterwards?

Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Question about Iced Earth's The Dark Saga...   Question about Iced Earth's The Dark Saga... Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 11:41 am

I have no clue, but amazing cd.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Question about Iced Earth's The Dark Saga...   Question about Iced Earth's The Dark Saga... Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 12:31 pm

Probably just because in the Spawn plot, those three songs lyricially tie in to each other. I think. It's been a while since I've read Spawn. They do seem to flow in to each other quite well musically as well, but then most of the album does.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Question about Iced Earth's The Dark Saga...   Question about Iced Earth's The Dark Saga... Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 12:32 pm

I'd say it's simply because Jon Schaffer loves, loves, loves dem trilogies.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
INVADERS
Metal master
Metal master
INVADERS

Number of posts : 937

PostSubject: Re: Question about Iced Earth's The Dark Saga...   Question about Iced Earth's The Dark Saga... Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 12:40 pm

Smindas wrote:
Probably just because in the Spawn plot, those three songs lyricially tie in to each other. I think. It's been a while since I've read Spawn. They do seem to flow in to each other quite well musically as well, but then most of the album does.

I was going to say, It's a concept album about Spawn so lyrically it will flow regardless...
Hell knows... I guess the only one who will know is Jon Schaffer.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Question about Iced Earth's The Dark Saga...   Question about Iced Earth's The Dark Saga... Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 4:42 pm

I remember watching spawn on dvd...Still remember the scene where the devilish clown s**** himself :eyesore: ....Disgusting...Maybe this is why i hate the cd.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Question about Iced Earth's The Dark Saga...   Question about Iced Earth's The Dark Saga... Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 6:24 pm

INVADERS wrote:
Maybe I'm just an Idiot or just plain ignorant but why are the last 3 tracks on the album referred to as The Suffering Trilogy?
If the whole album is a concept album based on the Spawn comics, then why create a trilogy of the last 3 songs...

Any thoughts?

It's like a concept within a concept. I don't think it's weird. The album is about Spawn, and the final 3 songs are connected in a way that is unique unto itself apart from the rest of the album.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Question about Iced Earth's The Dark Saga...   Question about Iced Earth's The Dark Saga... Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 7:23 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I'd say it's simply because Jon Schaffer loves, loves, loves dem trilogies.

I must agree with you Sir.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

PostSubject: Re: Question about Iced Earth's The Dark Saga...   Question about Iced Earth's The Dark Saga... Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 8:52 pm

INVADERS wrote:
Smindas wrote:

I was going to say, It's a concept album about Spawn so lyrically it will flow regardless...
Hell knows... I guess the only one who will know is Jon Schaffer.
Of course, but I meant that The Suffering trilogy sort of covers a certain arc of the Spawn plot. It's meant to be about the entire depressing realisation that Spawn is not able to return to the life he once had and not able to die. The three songs basically focus around the same theme, a bit more than the rest of the album which is sort of the events before this lead up. I'll stop being nerdy now, I promise.

Metal novice
Metal novice
Sabbath In Solitude

Number of posts : 79

PostSubject: Re: Question about Iced Earth's The Dark Saga...   Question about Iced Earth's The Dark Saga... Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 12:02 am

Gilbert wrote:
I remember watching spawn on dvd...Still remember the scene where the devilish clown s**** himself :eyesore: ....Disgusting...Maybe this is why i hate the cd.

Yeah,Leguizamo is so irritating you just wish someone would slap him everytime he opens his mouth,I would like to get the Framing Armageddon one though ,with Tim Owens singing on it
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/sabbsteve aka The Planet Doom
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Question about Iced Earth's The Dark Saga...   Question about Iced Earth's The Dark Saga... Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 9:16 am

I always prefered the animated show on HBO to the movie (sucks that the series was canceled).
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

PostSubject: Re: Question about Iced Earth's The Dark Saga...   Question about Iced Earth's The Dark Saga... Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 9:22 am

DallasBlack wrote:
I always prefered the animated show on HBO to the movie (sucks that the series was canceled).
Ack, no way. I always preferred the comic as I found the animated show way too slow. Half of it was just Spawn grunting and screaming "WANDAAAA". The comic had a bit more action.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Question about Iced Earth's The Dark Saga...   Question about Iced Earth's The Dark Saga... Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 9:25 am

Smindas wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
Ack, no way. I always preferred the comic as I found the animated show way too slow. Half of it was just Spawn grunting and screaming "WANDAAAA". The comic had a bit more action.

I never had the energy or money to follow the comics, that and Spawn had already been going for years by the time I found out about it (also no movie or animated show ever meets the standards of comic book fans).
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Question about Iced Earth's The Dark Saga...   Question about Iced Earth's The Dark Saga... Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 9:50 am

During my comic collecting days I bought the "Spawn" series regularly for about the first two or three years of its existence. Then one day I sat down, read all the issues back to back, and realized that I didn't understand a single frickin' thing that was going on. The storyline was a mess. So I stopped buying it.

I saw the movie once and thought it was OK, though the semi-low budget and cheap CGI pretty much killed it.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

PostSubject: Re: Question about Iced Earth's The Dark Saga...   Question about Iced Earth's The Dark Saga... Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 9:56 am

DallasBlack wrote:
Smindas wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

I never had the energy or money to follow the comics, that and Spawn had already been going for years by the time I found out about it (also no movie or animated show ever meets the standards of comic book fans).
That is true, but I actually watched the animated series before I read any of the comics, as I'm more in to animation than comics. I was quite disappointed but still wanted to look into Spawn a bit more before writing it off, so I read some of the comics. They had just released these rather awesome collection books of Spawn comics, each one containing about 10 or 11 issues and being reasonably priced, so I picked up the first two. They're definitely worth the read, but apparently after the first two the entire series becomes a bit pants.

PostSubject: Re: Question about Iced Earth's The Dark Saga...   Question about Iced Earth's The Dark Saga... Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2009 7:40 pm

My son has 2 volumes containing the first 24 issues of Spawn, 2 video games, 4 collectible action figures AND The Dark Saga...fanboy? Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question about Iced Earth's The Dark Saga...   Question about Iced Earth's The Dark Saga... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Question about Iced Earth's The Dark Saga...
Page 1 of 1