Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Any Donnie Iris Fans?

Go down 
+6
metalinmyveins
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
manny
tohostudios
Red Kitty
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Red Kitty
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Red Kitty

Number of posts : 1006

Any Donnie Iris Fans? Empty
PostSubject: Any Donnie Iris Fans?   Any Donnie Iris Fans? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 9:05 am

Love his Back on the Streets and King Cool CDs from the early 80s. Whatever happened to him?
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Any Donnie Iris Fans?   Any Donnie Iris Fans? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 9:08 am

Love Donnie Iris!

"Ah Leah!" is a rock classic IMO.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Any Donnie Iris Fans?   Any Donnie Iris Fans? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 9:10 am

Never heard of him, I have to check him out on Youtube when i get home.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Any Donnie Iris Fans?   Any Donnie Iris Fans? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 9:12 am

manny wrote:

manny,

http://www.last.fm/music/Donnie+Iris

Listen to the tune "Ah! Leah!" I'd bet you heard him years ago.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Any Donnie Iris Fans?   Any Donnie Iris Fans? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 9:15 am

SpectreFate wrote:
manny wrote:

manny,

I can't access it at work, I'll have to wait til I get home.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Any Donnie Iris Fans?   Any Donnie Iris Fans? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 9:16 am

The last album I got by him was called Elwood City about 2 years ago and it didn't sound anything like the Donnie Iris I know.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Red Kitty

PostSubject: Re: Any Donnie Iris Fans?   Any Donnie Iris Fans? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 9:34 am

Good to know tohostudios. Thanks for the info. I've been trying to find 'High and the Mighty' on CD as it came out just after King Cool. No luck so far.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Any Donnie Iris Fans?   Any Donnie Iris Fans? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 10:47 am

SpectreFate wrote:
manny wrote:

manny,

Don't recognize the name or that song. Too much 80's keyboard for my taste.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Any Donnie Iris Fans?   Any Donnie Iris Fans? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 10:53 am

I vaguely remember seeing a video for "King Cool" waaaaay back in the early days of MTV.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Any Donnie Iris Fans?   Any Donnie Iris Fans? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 10:54 am

Red Kitty wrote:
Good to know tohostudios. Thanks for the info. I've been trying to find 'High and the Mighty' on CD as it came out just after King Cool. No luck so far.

I forgot all about that album. I still remember the title track though. I have all the old releases on vinyl.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Any Donnie Iris Fans?   Any Donnie Iris Fans? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 1:57 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Love Donnie Iris!

"Ah Leah!" is a rock classic IMO.

Talk about a song that takes you back to the 80's. That type of song is why I miss that decade so much! I saw a guy do an acoustic version of "Ah Leah" at a bar a few years back. I think maybe a 1/4 of the people in the place actually recognized it. Great tune!
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Any Donnie Iris Fans?   Any Donnie Iris Fans? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 7:12 pm

Used to love the song "Love Is Like a Rock" when it was all over MTV way back when. For some reason I always confused him with Greg Kihn.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Any Donnie Iris Fans?   Any Donnie Iris Fans? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 8:00 pm

He's alright but not as good as Donny Irish.
Back to top Go down
Red Kitty
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Red Kitty

PostSubject: Re: Any Donnie Iris Fans?   Any Donnie Iris Fans? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 8:11 pm

jstate wrote:
Used to love the song "Love Is Like a Rock" when it was all over MTV way back when. For some reason I always confused him with Greg Kihn.

Yeah, that's a great song too!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Any Donnie Iris Fans?   Any Donnie Iris Fans? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 8:12 pm

My second favorite DI song is Injured In The Game Of Love.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Red Kitty

PostSubject: Re: Any Donnie Iris Fans?   Any Donnie Iris Fans? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 9:15 pm

tohostudios wrote:
My second favorite DI song is Injured In The Game Of Love.

Great song...."Do You Compute?" is cool too.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Any Donnie Iris Fans?   Any Donnie Iris Fans? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 9:21 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
manny wrote:

manny,

Spec you are alright I have heard this song, god it has been years! Thanks spec.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Any Donnie Iris Fans?   Any Donnie Iris Fans? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 9:25 pm

That's actually a really good album Manny. Ah Leah was the hit but there's a lot of good songs on that one.

Metal student
Metal student
YngwieDokkenfan

Number of posts : 112

PostSubject: Re: Any Donnie Iris Fans?   Any Donnie Iris Fans? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 12:23 am

He's from Pittsburgh, so he's always gotten a lot of airplay on the classic rock stations in Western PA and Eastern Ohio. I always figured "Love is Like a Rock" and "Ah-Leah" were classic rock staples. They're pretty cool, hard rockin' tunes. One DJ in Akron used to kid when he'd play Donnie Iris, and go "Dawnie Iris n 'at" like he was from Pittsburgh.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Any Donnie Iris Fans?   Any Donnie Iris Fans? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 8:33 am

I still find it amazing that Donnie Iris was in Wild Cherry.

"Play that funky music...white boy...."

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Red Kitty

PostSubject: Re: Any Donnie Iris Fans?   Any Donnie Iris Fans? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 8:48 am

Yeah...he is from the Pittsburgh area. Beaver Falls, if I'm not mistaken. I used to live east of Pittsburgh and saw him in concert a few times back in the day.

He was in Wild Cherry....but I think it was post 'Play that funky music...'
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Any Donnie Iris Fans?   Any Donnie Iris Fans? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 9:19 am

I had totally forgotten about "Do You Compute?". I love those old Donnie Iris videos. Now I'm going to have to add him to the list of stuff to be on the lookout for.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Any Donnie Iris Fans?   Any Donnie Iris Fans? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 6:12 pm

Yeah he rocked back in the day!

Wargod49
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any Donnie Iris Fans?   Any Donnie Iris Fans? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Any Donnie Iris Fans?
Page 1 of 1