Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I finally did it, I alphabetized my CD collection!

Go down 
+12
stevegarveyfan
exact33
tohostudios
Troublezone
Thrasher73
kmorg
mc666
manny
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
sam
scottmitchell74
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

I finally did it, I alphabetized my CD collection! Empty
PostSubject: I finally did it, I alphabetized my CD collection!   I finally did it, I alphabetized my CD collection! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 11:49 am

I celebrate Ground Hog Day. I take off work and do what I want, which always includes watching the movie.

I occurred to me that the perfect Ground Hog Day activity would be to alphabetize my CD collection. I've always wanted to, just never got around to it.

SO, I sorted them all by letter and wrote down the band, title and release date in a notebook. 414 cds total, so far. This will make keeping track much easier.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: I finally did it, I alphabetized my CD collection!   I finally did it, I alphabetized my CD collection! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 11:53 am

good for you scott, I'm about halfway there.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: I finally did it, I alphabetized my CD collection!   I finally did it, I alphabetized my CD collection! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 11:59 am

Good job by you Scott. I don't know how you went so long without alphabetizing them. That would drive me crazy.

I've got to get back into catalogging mine. I was keeping up pretty well on cd-tracker.com, but since they closed shop, I haven't been keeping track. I started a excel spread sheet, but never got past the 'A's.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: I finally did it, I alphabetized my CD collection!   I finally did it, I alphabetized my CD collection! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 12:00 pm

My CDs (and before that, my cassettes and LPs) have been alphabetized ever since the beginning. I'm obsessive/compulsive that way. All the bands are in order by letter, and when I have a large collection of a particular band, those CDs are arranged in chronological order, i.e. according to the year they were released. Yea, I know... I'm sick.

It's a pain in the ass when I bring a new CD home and I have to shuffle everything over one spot on the shelf to make room for the new recruit(s)... especially if it's by a band that starts with "A" and I have to go through EVERYthing... Laughing

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: I finally did it, I alphabetized my CD collection!   I finally did it, I alphabetized my CD collection! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 12:18 pm

I thought about it before I began, because I could imagine such neurosis happening to me, and I decided to just let an A be and A, but not to alphabetize within a letter. I keep bands together, but Crom might come before Cage in the stack. As long as C's are with C's, I'm O.K.

Other notes:

I use last names to alphabetize, except for Axel Rudi Pell.

I don't count "The". There would be too many T albums, then.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: I finally did it, I alphabetized my CD collection!   I finally did it, I alphabetized my CD collection! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 12:27 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
My CDs (and before that, my cassettes and LPs) have been alphabetized ever since the beginning. I'm obsessive/compulsive that way. All the bands are in order by letter, and when I have a large collection of a particular band, those CDs are arranged in chronological order, i.e. according to the year they were released. Yea, I know... I'm sick.

It's a pain in the ass when I bring a new CD home and I have to shuffle everything over one spot on the shelf to make room for the new recruit(s)... especially if it's by a band that starts with "A" and I have to go through EVERYthing... Laughing

Freddy we share the same sickness because I also have all my CDs alphabetized by letter and by year of release. Whenever I buy a new CD I than to reshuffle all of my CDS and my wife just looks at me and shakes her head acting like my behaviour isn't normal.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: I finally did it, I alphabetized my CD collection!   I finally did it, I alphabetized my CD collection! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 12:54 pm

i'm way behind cataloging all my cds. i'm getting them down now as i buy them, but i still haven't finished cataloging all the ones purchased before i started this project early last year. every time i think about it, it seems so daunting that i console myself with beer & football & put it off till later.

kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: I finally did it, I alphabetized my CD collection!   I finally did it, I alphabetized my CD collection! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 12:58 pm

manny wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Freddy we share the same sickness because I also have all my CDs alphabetized by letter and by year of release. Whenever I buy a new CD I than to reshuffle all of my CDS and my wife just looks at me and shakes her head acting like my behaviour isn't normal.

It's the ONLY way to do it properly!

That said, I'm also way beind after the last 2 moves.

scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: I finally did it, I alphabetized my CD collection!   I finally did it, I alphabetized my CD collection! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 1:39 pm

I'm also now using this as a fun way to pick my CDs for the day.

I put one piece of paper into a coffee mug for every six CDs of a particular letter. I have 29 C cds, so I have 5 pieces of paper in the mug with the letter C on it. I have 46 S cds, so I have 8 pieces of paper (rounding up to the nearest # divisible by 6).

I then choose one piece of paper. Yesterday in readying myself for today I pulled and E, so my next 6 CDs will be from the E pile.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: I finally did it, I alphabetized my CD collection!   I finally did it, I alphabetized my CD collection! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 1:47 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
I'm also now using this as a fun way to pick my CDs for the day.

I put one piece of paper into a coffee mug for every six CDs of a particular letter. I have 29 C cds, so I have 5 pieces of paper in the mug with the letter C on it. I have 46 S cds, so I have 8 pieces of paper (rounding up to the nearest # divisible by 6).

I then choose one piece of paper. Yesterday in readying myself for today I pulled and E, so my next 6 CDs will be from the E pile.

Way to turn CD choosing into an exercise in Obsessive Compulsive Disorder!! Laughing

I just open the cabinet, stand there scratching my chin for a minute, then grab a dozen or so CDs at random. Laughing

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: I finally did it, I alphabetized my CD collection!   I finally did it, I alphabetized my CD collection! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 2:04 pm

I used to do that, but now it's a game! My chance for variety must take place within the Letter of the Day. cheers These are among life's "little things" that make me happy.

No phallic references!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: I finally did it, I alphabetized my CD collection!   I finally did it, I alphabetized my CD collection! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 2:44 pm

Way to Go Scott!Its the only way I can keep up with all mine.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: I finally did it, I alphabetized my CD collection!   I finally did it, I alphabetized my CD collection! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 3:06 pm

How I choose what I going to listen to depends on my mood but usually it is triggered about an article I read and sometimes postings on this board, thanks to this board some CD's I have not spun in away get pulled out of my archieves.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: I finally did it, I alphabetized my CD collection!   I finally did it, I alphabetized my CD collection! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 3:11 pm

I'm too lazy too go through mine.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: I finally did it, I alphabetized my CD collection!   I finally did it, I alphabetized my CD collection! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 3:26 pm

I don't know how people find what they're looking for if their CDs aren't alphabetized.

And I mean all the way through the band name; no way Cage comes after Crom in my CD rack unless I refiled it when I was drunk. I have some letters that take up 2 or 3 shelves; I'd never find what I'm looking for if I didn't completely alphabetize.

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: I finally did it, I alphabetized my CD collection!   I finally did it, I alphabetized my CD collection! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 3:45 pm

I sort my by genre right now but over the last few months I have been fighting the temptation to sort by alphabet. I am in the process of auditing my cds against my list on the web to make sure everyone is there (and the list is accurate). I have a feeling at some point I may follow scott....

Alex

Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: I finally did it, I alphabetized my CD collection!   I finally did it, I alphabetized my CD collection! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 3:58 pm

Quote :

I don't know how people find what they're looking for if their CDs aren't alphabetized.

You have to hunt.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: I finally did it, I alphabetized my CD collection!   I finally did it, I alphabetized my CD collection! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 4:00 pm

I would love to have a website like ULT and Spec's listing their cd collection with graphics, but have neither the skill nor the time to take on such a project, but I admire what they have been able to do.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: I finally did it, I alphabetized my CD collection!   I finally did it, I alphabetized my CD collection! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 4:14 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

You have to hunt.

I'd end up having to take the morning off

PostSubject: Re: I finally did it, I alphabetized my CD collection!   I finally did it, I alphabetized my CD collection! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 4:15 pm

I've been using a database program called CATraxx since around 2003, it was cheap and does the trick. I have separate databases I use for physical CDs and also another one I use for music on my computer and external hard drives.

It's really simple to use, when you buy a new disc you pop it in the CDrom drive, it scans the disc, pulls the info off the internet and voila, you're done. It does the same thing with audio files on your computer.

I think the initial cost was about $30, never regretted getting it.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: I finally did it, I alphabetized my CD collection!   I finally did it, I alphabetized my CD collection! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 4:18 pm

detuned wrote:
I've been using a database program called CATraxx since around 2003, it was cheap and does the trick. I have separate databases I use for physical CDs and also another one I use for music on my computer and external hard drives.

It's really simple to use, when you buy a new disc you pop it in the CDrom drive, it scans the disc, pulls the info off the internet and voila, you're done. It does the same thing with audio files on your computer.

That would only work with newer, major label discs though, right? Ones that have the artist, album title, etc encoded?

Indy labels or self-released don't have that information do they? I know a lot of my older CDs don't have that data.

Metal master
Metal master
stevegarveyfan

Number of posts : 613

PostSubject: Re: I finally did it, I alphabetized my CD collection!   I finally did it, I alphabetized my CD collection! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 6:41 pm

detuned wrote:
I've been using a database program called CATraxx since around 2003, it was cheap and does the trick.

Nice subliminal reference to Cheap Trick.
Back to top Go down
stevegarveyfan
Metal master
Metal master
stevegarveyfan

Number of posts : 613

PostSubject: Re: I finally did it, I alphabetized my CD collection!   I finally did it, I alphabetized my CD collection! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 6:44 pm

For me, metal/hard rock is separated from country/southern gospel and just rock. Compilations make up a separate category as well.

Within those genre categories, I don't alphabetize; rather, I go from my perception of lightest to heaviest, with Queen/Angelica/Stryper at the bottom and Horde/Malevolent Creation/Absu at the top.

Does no one else do it like this, or do I need to get with the program and alphabetize?
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4602

PostSubject: Re: I finally did it, I alphabetized my CD collection!   I finally did it, I alphabetized my CD collection! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 6:53 pm

I've had mine in alphabetical since day 1.

I go alphabetical A-Z, and then chronological by release with each artist. I break a few rules, I suppose. I don't put anagrams first in each letter section. Rather I treat them like any other band name (example: M.O.D. is filed as if the name was Mod).

I have my entire collection (minus the only cassette I own; The Moshketeers) catalogued on my website, which is linked in my sig.

PostSubject: Re: I finally did it, I alphabetized my CD collection!   I finally did it, I alphabetized my CD collection! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 8:07 pm

tohostudios wrote:
detuned wrote:

That would only work with newer, major label discs though, right? Ones that have the artist, album title, etc encoded?

Indy labels or self-released don't have that information do they? I know a lot of my older CDs don't have that data.

No it pretty much works on all discs, it uses both CDDB and freeDB to pull the information from...very few albums it doesn't recognize.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I finally did it, I alphabetized my CD collection!   I finally did it, I alphabetized my CD collection! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I finally did it, I alphabetized my CD collection!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: