Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Metal Maniacs is closing down doors

Go down 
+17
nevermore
krokus
sam
Troublezone
scottmitchell74
chucksteak
MetalGuy71
Temple of Blood
Lurideath
Thrasher73
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
manny
Vordul
Leatherface
mc666
Required Fields
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

Metal Maniacs is closing down doors - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Maniacs is closing down doors   Metal Maniacs is closing down doors - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 1:51 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:

Sunday morning = Sunday Newspaper and coffee!!

As an employee of the beleaguered (sp?) newspaper industry, I salute you sir. I wish there were a few million more like you out there so they'd quit handing out layoff sandwiches around here like party favors Sad

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Metal Maniacs is closing down doors   Metal Maniacs is closing down doors - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 2:03 pm

DenimAndLeather wrote:
Bummer.

No more 2 month late metal news. I can still read magazines, but not metal mags. there just too far behind the internet with news.
Exactly. I would love to see a rival to Blabbermouth, though. Blabbermouth is great, but it's annoying with all the negativity and full of spyware/malware in their advertisements.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Metal Maniacs is closing down doors   Metal Maniacs is closing down doors - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 2:52 pm

mc666 wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
Good riddance. They've been pretty much unreadable for the last few years. They have a cozy relationship with their advertisers and pretty much only feature all their crappy bands.
they did go down hill after the last publisher took them over. plus, this last editor of MM wasn't as good as the previous two imho.

I stopped reading that magazine years ago, they've been going down hill for a long time now.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Metal Maniacs is closing down doors   Metal Maniacs is closing down doors - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 2:57 pm

DenimAndLeather wrote:
Bummer.

No more 2 month late metal news. I can still read magazines, but not metal mags. there just too far behind the internet with news.

Thats true but there was something cool about getting a physical copy in your hands. I still get Revolver because it's only a dollar a issue with a subscription but the days of all true metal and thrash coverage is all but gone. The internet is a bitter sweet thing for me...
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Metal Maniacs is closing down doors   Metal Maniacs is closing down doors - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 3:01 pm

I am like scottmitchell, I love reading the local daily paper, and I subscribe to Guitar World, Classic Rock Magazine, and even if I am one of their biggest critics as far what they think is great music I cannot deny the caliber of the writing in Rolling Stone magazine, I love the internet but nothing will replace, at least to me a good newspaper, magazine or well written book.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Metal Maniacs is closing down doors   Metal Maniacs is closing down doors - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 3:05 pm

manny wrote:
, I love the internet but nothing will replace, at least to me a good newspaper, magazine or well written book.

absolutely the truth.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Metal Maniacs is closing down doors   Metal Maniacs is closing down doors - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 5:08 pm

sam wrote:
manny wrote:
, I love the internet but nothing will replace, at least to me a good newspaper, magazine or well written book.

absolutely the truth.

I agree too. I buy many metal magazines like HAMMER (from Hungary), AARDSCHOK (from Holland), THIS IS ROCK, POPULAR 1, HEAVY ROCK, METAL HAMMER, KERRANG etc...from Spain and fanzines, specialy death, black and thrash ones. I will like them always more then webzines.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Metal Maniacs is closing down doors   Metal Maniacs is closing down doors - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 5:11 pm

I can't carry a computer to the back porch, to the park, etc.....

News on paper is still the best for me. It's more personal.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Metal Maniacs is closing down doors   Metal Maniacs is closing down doors - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 5:50 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:

Hard to balance a monitor and keyboard on your lap while on the hopper too. 🚽

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Metal Maniacs is closing down doors   Metal Maniacs is closing down doors - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 5:13 pm

Terrible news.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Metal Maniacs is closing down doors   Metal Maniacs is closing down doors - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 5:25 pm

manny wrote:
I am like scottmitchell, I love reading the local daily paper, and I subscribe to Guitar World, Classic Rock Magazine, and even if I am one of their biggest critics as far what they think is great music I cannot deny the caliber of the writing in Rolling Stone magazine, I love the internet but nothing will replace, at least to me a good newspaper, magazine or well written book.

100% agree.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Metal Maniacs is closing down doors   Metal Maniacs is closing down doors - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 5:50 pm

detuned wrote:
manny wrote:

100% agree.
Time to change your outlook then. Not being a jerk here, but what is going on in the literary world--from books to magazines--is very similar to what went on in the music world in the 90s. Resistance is, as they say in Star Trek, futile. Look at me now, building a digital music library. In days past, I wouldn't even listen to an MP3. Haha.

But like vinyl, CDs will never go away (not any time soon, anyway). Nor will books and magazines. But they will become far less common. So I suggest embracing this new era of publishing. You may dig it, actually. These e-readers, like Amazon.com's Kindle, have so much potential. Access to every newspaper in the US? Pretty cool. Countless novels and magazines? Equally as cool.

Tough pill to swallow, though. All I know is that we can't stop it, so might as well embrace it...grudgingly.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Metal Maniacs is closing down doors   Metal Maniacs is closing down doors - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 6:12 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Look at me now, building a digital music library.

Well, while we're being technical, you've been building a digital music collection since you bought your first CD.

...but back to the topic at hand. I agree that print publications will continue to decline, but not completely vanish. Partially due to younger folks embracing new technology and partially due to the decreased production cost. Plus it may save a few trees.

But I doubt it will completely go away, at least not in our lifetimes.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Metal Maniacs is closing down doors   Metal Maniacs is closing down doors - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 7:42 pm

detuned wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Look at me now, building a digital music library.

Well, while we're being technical, you've been building a digital music collection since you bought your first CD.

...but back to the topic at hand. I agree that print publications will continue to decline, but not completely vanish. Partially due to younger folks embracing new technology and partially due to the decreased production cost. Plus it may save a few trees.

But I doubt it will completely go away, at least not in our lifetimes.
Shut it! lol!

And no, it won't go away in our lifetime, but it will change dramatically. And production cost is what kills so many publications. That's why more people should embrace print-on-demand. There's NO cost. Why owe a printer $12K when you can owe them nothing at all?
Back to top Go down
chucksteak
Metal student
Metal student
chucksteak

Number of posts : 133

PostSubject: Re: Metal Maniacs is closing down doors   Metal Maniacs is closing down doors - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2009 9:09 pm

Eyesore wrote:
detuned wrote:
manny wrote:

100% agree.
Time to change your outlook then. Not being a jerk here, but what is going on in the literary world--from books to magazines--is very similar to what went on in the music world in the 90s. Resistance is, as they say in Star Trek, futile. Look at me now, building a digital music library. In days past, I wouldn't even listen to an MP3. Haha.

But like vinyl, CDs will never go away (not any time soon, anyway). Nor will books and magazines. But they will become far less common. So I suggest embracing this new era of publishing. You may dig it, actually. These e-readers, like Amazon.com's Kindle, have so much potential. Access to every newspaper in the US? Pretty cool. Countless novels and magazines? Equally as cool.

Tough pill to swallow, though. All I know is that we can't stop it, so might as well embrace it...grudgingly.

Everyone complains that the news in the mags is outdated and that is true. I guess I'm just old and old fashioned but I enjoy the interviews. PLus there is the album reviews and demo reviews. Great expsoure for young bands. I can't even think of how many bands Metal Maniacs turned me onto from their demo reviews that have gone on to long careers. Its all packaged there and I can take it anywhere instead of sitting in front of a screen only. Plus having to search for everything in many different places. Plus the internet is kinda here today gone tomorrow with info. I can pull out a 10 year old magazine and reread something right then instead of tirelessly searhing for something long since deleted on the internet.

yeah I know its futile but I still am upset. I still listen to vinyl,cassettes,CDs and have never dealt with anything digital. MP3 and whatever else. I can't understand how anyone listens to that crap anyways. I know I've been with friends and coworkers who will play something they've downloaded and it just sounds like garbage. If you like it why not pay for the real thing. I guess that once again is the old in me wanting the complete package and actually having something to look at,read,and worth listening to. Then as a musician I understand that pesky thing about um paying someone for their work.

everything is free and mostly crap nowadays but it doesn't have to be tolerated. To each his own. NOTHING LASTS! and we are all hopelessly smurfed!
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Metal Maniacs is closing down doors   Metal Maniacs is closing down doors - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 11:12 am

Bummer, those two used to be regular buyers of mine and it's sad to see them go. That being said, they have gone downhill over the years but they still had their strong pionts and were good reading at bookstores (Metal Maniacs) and at breaks at Wal-Mart (Metal Edge). Two more pieces of metal history diyng out.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Metal Maniacs is closing down doors   Metal Maniacs is closing down doors - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 1:05 pm

Dunno if anyone has noticed, but if you go to the H.O.M. page without logging in, there's a little ad at the top today that says "Goodbye Metal Maniacs, Hello Terrorizer!" with a link to a subscription offer to that mag. Seems kinda cold doesn't it?

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Metal Maniacs is closing down doors   Metal Maniacs is closing down doors - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 5:46 pm

I got my copy of the last issue of Metal Maniacs yesterday.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Metal Maniacs is closing down doors   Metal Maniacs is closing down doors - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 6:20 pm

Quote :
Everyone complains that the news in the mags is outdated and that is true. I guess I'm just old and old fashioned but I enjoy the interviews. PLus there is the album reviews and demo reviews. Great expsoure for young bands. I can't even think of how many bands Metal Maniacs turned me onto from their demo reviews that have gone on to long careers. Its all packaged there and I can take it anywhere instead of sitting in front of a screen only. Plus having to search for everything in many different places. Plus the internet is kinda here today gone tomorrow with info. I can pull out a 10 year old magazine and reread something right then instead of tirelessly searhing for something long since deleted on the internet.

yeah I know its futile but I still am upset. I still listen to vinyl,cassettes,CDs and have never dealt with anything digital. MP3 and whatever else. I can't understand how anyone listens to that crap anyways. I know I've been with friends and coworkers who will play something they've downloaded and it just sounds like garbage. If you like it why not pay for the real thing. I guess that once again is the old in me wanting the complete package and actually having something to look at,read,and worth listening to. Then as a musician I understand that pesky thing about um paying someone for their work.

everything is free and mostly crap nowadays but it doesn't have to be tolerated. To each his own. NOTHING LASTS! and we are all hopelessly smurfed!

Not to mention that some people treat them like time capsules or collectors items from the past.
Back to top Go down
RevBilly6207
Metal novice
Metal novice
RevBilly6207

Number of posts : 45

PostSubject: Re: Metal Maniacs is closing down doors   Metal Maniacs is closing down doors - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 2:40 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
scottmitchell74 wrote:

Hard to balance a monitor and keyboard on your lap while on the hopper too. 🚽

As much as I begged, I couldn't get the wife to let me build a computer desk in the bathroom. She did compromise on a magazine rack.

The internet is great, but I still love magazines and newspapers.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/once_dead
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Metal Maniacs is closing down doors   Metal Maniacs is closing down doors - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 3:30 am

Hmmm. I've never bought or even read a Metal Maniacs magazine.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Metal Maniacs is closing down doors   Metal Maniacs is closing down doors - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 1:32 pm

EvyMetal wrote:
Hmmm. I've never bought or even read a Metal Maniacs magazine.

Knowing your age, I'm not suprised.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Metal Maniacs is closing down doors   Metal Maniacs is closing down doors - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 6:00 pm

Never cared to read MM, but good riddance to ME. AWFUL stuff. In fact, all of those metal magazines are garbage. How does Hit Parader stay afloat? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Metal Maniacs is closing down doors   Metal Maniacs is closing down doors - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Metal Maniacs is closing down doors
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2