Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What would happen if Nirvana hadn't come in the spotlight 1991

Go down 
+24
RimShot
candlemass
DallasBlack
skullsmasher
RevBilly6207
metalinmyveins
jstate
thejokeriv
MetalGuy71
Addy
sam
powermacho
Smindas
Troublezone
kmorg
Lurideath
Required Fields
mc666
Gilbert
James B.
manny
the sentinel
Schbopo
fingers
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
HellRaiser
Metal student
Metal student
HellRaiser

Number of posts : 242

What would happen if Nirvana hadn't come in the spotlight 1991 - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What would happen if Nirvana hadn't come in the spotlight 1991   What would happen if Nirvana hadn't come in the spotlight 1991 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 1:49 am

Since it was mentioned earlier, here's the cover of Kiss' 'Do You Love Me?' that Nirvana did. Recorded for a Kiss covers album featuring Seattle bands circa the very early 90s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQbL3Ee3_BY

Kurt seems to have a few troubles with Paul Stanley's vocal range - especially on the bridge. Shocked

I still can't decide if I like it or not. Laughing They did put their own stamp on the cover though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What would happen if Nirvana hadn't come in the spotlight 1991   What would happen if Nirvana hadn't come in the spotlight 1991 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 2:35 am

HellRaiser wrote:
Since it was mentioned earlier, here's the cover of Kiss' 'Do You Love Me?' that Nirvana did. Recorded for a Kiss covers album featuring Seattle bands circa the very early 90s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQbL3Ee3_BY

Kurt seems to have a few troubles with Paul Stanley's vocal range - especially on the bridge. Shocked

I still can't decide if I like it or not. Laughing They did put their own stamp on the cover though.

You totally buried my thoughts on the subject, bro. Now I can't see if the general population agrees with my general gist or if they poop on it.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: What would happen if Nirvana hadn't come in the spotlight 1991   What would happen if Nirvana hadn't come in the spotlight 1991 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 6:43 am

Quote :
he was in the league of a John Lennon or Bob Dylan

David Fricke of Rolling Stone made a similar reference

I think Courtney releasing his journals was a shady thing to do especially since he had when alive expressed that he did not want to publish them
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: What would happen if Nirvana hadn't come in the spotlight 1991   What would happen if Nirvana hadn't come in the spotlight 1991 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 10:14 am

Addy wrote:
Quote :

I think Courtney releasing his journals was a shady thing to do especially since he had when alive expressed that he did not want to publish them

it was all a money grab. I knew a girl who bought like 3 of them because she was obsessed.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal

PostSubject: Re: What would happen if Nirvana hadn't come in the spotlight 1991   What would happen if Nirvana hadn't come in the spotlight 1991 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 2:52 pm

Addy wrote:
Quote :

Oh, snap. I didn't know that he had let his wishes be known on the matter. She's just a piece of dirt. I hear that she has every STD known to man. Center for Disease Control should just shut her down for good before she spreads more of that dirty Love. Their kid is either destined to become a world-renowned rock star herself, or a dirty hose-bag like the mom. Or, maybe a combination of both.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: What would happen if Nirvana hadn't come in the spotlight 1991   What would happen if Nirvana hadn't come in the spotlight 1991 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 6:13 pm

Kurt and Courtney were complete opposites, She loved the spotlight while Kurt was embarassed by it. I thought I remember reading that Kurt & Courtney were seperated and heading towards a divorce when he killed himself. I did believe at one point that he could have been murdered but when people were saying the amount of heroin in his system there was no way he could have pulled that trigger or even held the shotgun, but since had had been a addict for years Im sure he built some tolerance to it. Anyways getting off track here, Im hoping that Frances becomes a renowned Rock star would be interesting I think

I got a copy as a going away gift from a friend (when I was moving to TN) ive not read it at least not yet.

I might not like all the press on her or the way she was acting towards the other guys in Nirvana but I do dig some of her music, though her first solo album did suck

The last Hole album was written mostly by Billy Corgan

Though with the demise of Nirvana one of my favorite bands rose from its ashes in that I mean the Foo Fighters. I love the Foo Fighters
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: What would happen if Nirvana hadn't come in the spotlight 1991   What would happen if Nirvana hadn't come in the spotlight 1991 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 9:46 pm

Addy wrote:
Kurt and Courtney were complete opposites, She loved the spotlight while Kurt was embarassed by it. I thought I remember reading that Kurt & Courtney were seperated and heading towards a divorce when he killed himself.

I don't remember that, but that doesn't mean that wasn't the case. In reading "Heavier to Heaven", the book clearly discussed the dysfunctional aspect of that relationship. Shocking, I know...

Addy wrote:
I did believe at one point that he could have been murdered but when people were saying the amount of heroin in his system there was no way he could have pulled that trigger or even held the shotgun, but since had had been a addict for years Im sure he built some tolerance to it.

Oh no, you're teetering here Addy on that fringe that makes up the Kurt "We believe in a murder conspiracy that involved Courtney" Cobain fanbase. Steven Adler has been a heroin junkie for how long now? I'm sure if Steven Adler wanted to kill himself via a gun; he could've committed the act hundreds of times by now.

Addy wrote:
I might not like all the press on her or the way she was acting towards the other guys in Nirvana but I do dig some of her music, though her first solo album did suck. The last Hole album was written mostly by Billy Corgan.

You're not going to be one of those Nirvana fans who also accuses Courtney of supposedly ripping off all of Kurt's left behind riffs are you? I love those fans also. They seem to go hand in hand with all of the conspiracy nuts out there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What would happen if Nirvana hadn't come in the spotlight 1991   What would happen if Nirvana hadn't come in the spotlight 1991 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 12:34 am

Conspiracy theories are a slippery slope which always lead into madness and paranoia. lol. Stay away.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What would happen if Nirvana hadn't come in the spotlight 1991   What would happen if Nirvana hadn't come in the spotlight 1991 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 1:28 am

Conspiracy theories are fo' nappy-headed hos. Fo' shizzle.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: What would happen if Nirvana hadn't come in the spotlight 1991   What would happen if Nirvana hadn't come in the spotlight 1991 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 5:18 pm

Marc Mason wrote:
Conspiracy theories are fo' nappy-headed hos. Fo' shizzle.

Are you the black version of Don Imis? scratch
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: What would happen if Nirvana hadn't come in the spotlight 1991   What would happen if Nirvana hadn't come in the spotlight 1991 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 6:47 pm

sam wrote:
good post mark.

I agree except for the claim made toward fans of Cinderella and Poison. I am not a young girl nor am I a vacuous adult and I resent the implication that as a fan of many hair bands there is somehow something wrong with me. Yes, the 80s focus was too much on fun and lacked seriousness, but the 90s was just the opposite. There needs to be a balance in rock and metal.

Quite the eloquent post Mark, some kind of English major or do you just have a way with words? Not being condencending, just curious.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: What would happen if Nirvana hadn't come in the spotlight 1991   What would happen if Nirvana hadn't come in the spotlight 1991 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 6:59 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
Addy wrote:
Kurt and Courtney were complete opposites, She loved the spotlight while Kurt was embarassed by it. I thought I remember reading that Kurt & Courtney were seperated and heading towards a divorce when he killed himself.

I don't remember that, but that doesn't mean that wasn't the case. In reading "Heavier to Heaven", the book clearly discussed the dysfunctional aspect of that relationship. Shocking, I know...

I read Heavier than Heaven as well I got it when it first came out, I might be wrong in that but I could have sworn the book was hinting at that.

Addy wrote:
I did believe at one point that he could have been murdered but when people were saying the amount of heroin in his system there was no way he could have pulled that trigger or even held the shotgun, but since had had been a addict for years Im sure he built some tolerance to it.

Oh no, you're teetering here Addy on that fringe that makes up the Kurt "We believe in a murder conspiracy that involved Courtney" Cobain fanbase. Steven Adler has been a heroin junkie for how long now? I'm sure if Steven Adler wanted to kill himself via a gun; he could've committed the act hundreds of times by now.

I think you misunderstood me here, I said I did believe, meaning past tense, meaning no more. I admit i did once believe that, but then I read Heavier Than Heaven and my whole opinion changed. I dont think Cobain was murdered. My point was just because he had an ungodly amount of heroin in his system and being an addict what might killed someone just starting would affect him differantly because of the past abuse of the stuff which I would imagine give him some form of tolerance.

Addy wrote:
I might not like all the press on her or the way she was acting towards the other guys in Nirvana but I do dig some of her music, though her first solo album did suck. The last Hole album was written mostly by Billy Corgan.

You're not going to be one of those Nirvana fans who also accuses Courtney of supposedly ripping off all of Kurt's left behind riffs are you? I love those fans also. They seem to go hand in hand with all of the conspiracy nuts out there.

Huh??????? Actually I am a fan of Hole as well as Nirvana. Live Thru This was a kick ass album, as was Celebrity Skin when she went solo the album did nothing for me outside the song "Mono" I didnt really care for it. Course I got it when it first came out so it might be time to give it another spin. She has another solo album coming out Im anxious to check it out when it comes out. Frankly I dont care if she stole any riffs or anything from Kurt I dont think she needs his legacy I think she's alright in her own right.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: What would happen if Nirvana hadn't come in the spotlight 1991   What would happen if Nirvana hadn't come in the spotlight 1991 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 7:27 pm

I'm gonna say this and then you guys can flame away.

I think Nirvana SUCKS!

Their music is the equivalent of heavy EMO IMO. Metalheads love to slam emo bands for all their whining. Kurt Cobain wrote some of the whiniest lyrics I've ever heard!

I think the music Dave Grohl has produced post-Nirvana is a million times better than anything Nirvana ever produced.

Kurt Cobain is the most overrated hack ever to ever stumble into pop culture. He was a product of the MTV video generation that held sway over everyone's musical opinions at the time and since every freakin' Nirvana video was in heavy rotation, of course Cobain and his band became icons. Albeit, "manufactured" icons thanks to the ubiquitous presence of MTV at the time.

I'd go as far as to say if "Nevermind" was released today, it would die in ignominy.

Flame away...

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: What would happen if Nirvana hadn't come in the spotlight 1991   What would happen if Nirvana hadn't come in the spotlight 1991 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 7:37 pm

Kurt Cobain and Nirvana can't help what MTV or the media does, all they do is put out a record.....i also don't think he wrote whiny lyrics, more cryptic and nonsensical as Kurt was way more worried about hook and melody.

Plus Toho our beloved Wildhearts would of been alot different had Nevermind never came out........Ginger has said many times how important Nirvana were in influencing the Wildhearts sound, and you can see why with both bands dynamics of big guitars and even bigger hooks.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: What would happen if Nirvana hadn't come in the spotlight 1991   What would happen if Nirvana hadn't come in the spotlight 1991 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 7:43 pm

Yeah, I blame Nirvana for the Wildhearts' unfortunate penchant to launch off into riffs and solos that have nothing to do with the core hook of the song.

I was just listening to The ox manur Goes On today and the middle section has nothing to do with the rest of an otherwise excellent song.

That's Nirvana's fault.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: What would happen if Nirvana hadn't come in the spotlight 1991   What would happen if Nirvana hadn't come in the spotlight 1991 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 7:50 pm

This goes beyond whiny; I think this makes emo sound like Shakespeare:

Quote :
Rape me
Rape me, my friend
Rape me
Rape me again

am i the only one .IIIII [3x]
am i the Only one...

Hate me
Do it and do it again
Waste me
Rape me, my friend

am ithe Only one...

My favorite inside source
I'll kiss your open sores
I appreciate your concern
You're gonna stink and burn

Rape me
Rape me, my friend
Rape me
Rape me, again

am i the only one ?, IIIII [3x]
am i the Only one?...

Rape me! (Rape me!)[9x]
Rape me!

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: What would happen if Nirvana hadn't come in the spotlight 1991   What would happen if Nirvana hadn't come in the spotlight 1991 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 7:53 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Yeah, I blame Nirvana for the Wildhearts' unfortunate penchant to launch off into riffs and solos that have nothing to do with the core hook of the song.

I was just listening to The ox manur Goes On today and the middle section has nothing to do with the rest of an otherwise excellent song.

That's Nirvana's fault.

See i love that about the Wildhearts.......that they randomly go off on a tangent, their songs are never an easy ride to "Poptopia".

I don't think you can blame that on the Nirvana influence.......maybe more of a Big Black noise thing influence.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: What would happen if Nirvana hadn't come in the spotlight 1991   What would happen if Nirvana hadn't come in the spotlight 1991 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 8:19 pm

I don't see a rebuttal for those lame lyrics I posted.

If My Chemical Romance produced a song like that, "metalheads" would crucify it.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: What would happen if Nirvana hadn't come in the spotlight 1991   What would happen if Nirvana hadn't come in the spotlight 1991 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 8:59 pm

tohostudios wrote:
This goes beyond whiny; I think this makes emo sound like Shakespeare:

Quote :
Rape me
Rape me, my friend
Rape me
Rape me again

am i the Only one...

Hate me
Do it and do it again
Waste me
Rape me, my friend

am ithe Only one...

My favorite inside source
I'll kiss your open sores
I appreciate your concern
You're gonna stink and burn

Rape me
Rape me, my friend
Rape me
Rape me, again

am i the only one ?, IIIII [3x]
am i the Only one?...

Rape me! (Rape me!)[9x]
Rape me!

I think your taking those lyrics too literally Toho.......it's meant to be a strong positive and self empowering anti-rape song from the point of view of the woman.....it's kinda saying "Go ahead and rape me but you'll never ruin my life".

Not whiny at all, life affirming more like it.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: What would happen if Nirvana hadn't come in the spotlight 1991   What would happen if Nirvana hadn't come in the spotlight 1991 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 9:09 pm

I could rationalize a lot of emo lyrics similarly.

Bad poetry is bad poetry...period.

I refuse to worship at the Cobain alter because I call ox manur.

He's only an icon because he offed himself during the height of an MTV foisted career.

I'll always think Nirvana was overrated. I'll always maintain Cobain is an icon because he committed suicide at the height of the band's MTV-bolstered career.

Had Cobain been a struggling artist in a band without a publicity machine, his suicide would have been at most, a minor footnote in music history.

IMO of course.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: What would happen if Nirvana hadn't come in the spotlight 1991   What would happen if Nirvana hadn't come in the spotlight 1991 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 9:28 pm

tohostudios wrote:
I could rationalize a lot of emo lyrics similarly.

Bad poetry is bad poetry...period.

I think your unfairly typecasting or misunderstanding 'emo'.......after all what is it?

That is the intention of the song as Cobain has said himself.....plus he never set out to be some lyrical genius like his heroes Westerberg and Mould, like i said before he was way more interested in the hook than the lyric......something you can empathize with in the music you like.

tohostudios wrote:

He's only an icon because he offed himself during the height of an MTV foisted career.

I'll always think Nirvana was overrated. I'll always maintain Cobain is an icon because he committed suicide at the height of the band's MTV-bolstered career.

I think your issue is with MTV and the music media in general not Kurt or Nirvana.
Like i said Nirvana just made music all the hype and icon status is peripheral and comes from the media.....something Kurt detested and did not want.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What would happen if Nirvana hadn't come in the spotlight 1991   What would happen if Nirvana hadn't come in the spotlight 1991 - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What would happen if Nirvana hadn't come in the spotlight 1991
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4