Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Lost Treasures of the Discount Bin

Go down 
+9
SAHB Healer
Schbopo
jstate
Shiney
rattpoison
Stender
MetalGuy71
manny
Fat Freddy
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Lost Treasures of the Discount Bin Empty
PostSubject: Lost Treasures of the Discount Bin   Lost Treasures of the Discount Bin Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2009 2:46 pm

Ever picked up a treasure from the discount or cut out bin at your favorite record store? I have...

My first pick is

Lost Treasures of the Discount Bin 001

Core's Revival (1996)

In the late 90's I was heavy into alcohol and the budding "stoner" music movement, although it really didn't have a cutesy name back then. Anyhoo, I saw this CD in a cut out bin in 1997 and was curious. It was one of those you passed up a few times and then one day, desperate for new music, you fork out the $2.00 or whatever the storekeep is asking for it.

I was blown away when I got it home. Upon first listen of Core's Revival album I was privy to this previously unknown, awesome, downtuned, Sabbath-esque Groove-O-Matic Nectar of the Godz. I listened to this album for pretty much a week straight. I can't describe it much better than the previous sentence. I prefer to allow the music do the talking. They released a second record I never had the chance to hear, but would love to.

If Eyesore or detuned hasn't heard this, I suspect they will enjoy it.

Anyway, here's a sample of "Revival":

Kiss The Sun (sample)

Here's the full album if you want. It is out of print and was pretty soon after its initial release. I didn't upload it, I'm just sharing a link I found.

http://rapidshare.com/files/154428276/Core-_Revival.rar

What treasures have you rescued from a slow, discount bin death?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lost Treasures of the Discount Bin   Lost Treasures of the Discount Bin Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2009 3:24 pm

I've seen that CD a million times. That cover does not scream Sabbath at all. Haha. I never even gave it a second glance, assuming it was some alt-pop crap. I'll check it out...
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Lost Treasures of the Discount Bin   Lost Treasures of the Discount Bin Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2009 3:48 pm

My fave Discount Bin score was probably the time I snagged Barren Cross' ATOMIC ARENA for $3.99 many years ago. It was very good timing because my old cassette copy had just crapped out a few weeks before.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Lost Treasures of the Discount Bin   Lost Treasures of the Discount Bin Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2009 3:56 pm

Eyesore wrote:
I've seen that CD a million times. That cover does not scream Sabbath at all. Haha. I never even gave it a second glance, assuming it was some alt-pop crap. I'll check it out...

Great Spec look what you have done, now Eyesore's want list is up to 7,301 thanks to your recommendation.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Lost Treasures of the Discount Bin   Lost Treasures of the Discount Bin Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2009 4:01 pm

Since I make the majority of my music purchases either used or from discount bins, it's hard to pin down just one as a lost treasure. To me, they're all gems. My most recent finds were the 2 TAB cd's for $3 bucks apiece. I dig the heck out of these, but noone but Manny seems to care. Sad

https://heartofmetal.niceboard.com/let-the-music-do-the-talking-f8/tab-the-band-t7920.htm?highlight=tab+the+band

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Lost Treasures of the Discount Bin   Lost Treasures of the Discount Bin Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2009 4:08 pm

I have bought a majority of my collection in Pawn shops or used CD stores, so it is hard for me to pinpoint one treasure I found.

Now adays I try to stick to my want list so I mostly purchase from Amazon and on a rare occassion ebay.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lost Treasures of the Discount Bin   Lost Treasures of the Discount Bin Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2009 4:54 pm

manny wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Great Spec look what you have done, now Eyesore's want list is up to 7,301 thanks to your recommendation.
lol!

I find great albums cheap all the time, but some of the earliest that stand out:

Nudeswirl - Nudeswirl
Pushmonkey - Maize
Ice Cold July - There Will Come A Day

I scored those at Nuggets, their $2 section, way back in high school. They remain three of my favorite discs to this day. Brilliant, all three. I'd actually seen Nudeswirl open for White Zombie previous to getting the CD and they blew me away. I was diggin' them from the start, but song three was "Buffalo," and for some reason that song just hit me. It vaulted them from being good to amazing that night.

Either way, three outstanding albums right there. Nudeswirl never put out another album. Ice Cold July did a live album, and Pushmonkey did three or four more that just never touched upon the greatness that is Maize. But solid bands all around.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lost Treasures of the Discount Bin   Lost Treasures of the Discount Bin Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2009 5:36 pm

Got Kublai Khan - Annihilation at a Half Price Books for $6. I snatched it and held it firmly to my bossom. Then, with my heart pumping excessively, I looked around to see if someone was gonna fight me for it. I sped home and put it in a vault where no one can get to it.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Lost Treasures of the Discount Bin   Lost Treasures of the Discount Bin Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2009 5:54 pm

At my own saint vincents, I picked up Drives Characters in time for 99 cents. Had a hole punch but eh, you cant be picky with vinnies.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Lost Treasures of the Discount Bin   Lost Treasures of the Discount Bin Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2009 8:06 pm

I could go on about those rare gems you find in the discount bin, like when i found Kings Of The Sun's third album which goes for a minimum of $100 for only $4. But i'll keep it more common, those albums you always see and wonder if their decent......

The Unband - Retarder (2000)

Lost Treasures of the Discount Bin 894840_170x170

Lets get it out of the way, a bad cover doesn't help amongst the rotting discount pile....but don't be fooled this thing rocks like crazy, it rocks harder then 95% of your music collection.

This thing kicks down your door and heads straight for your fridge, before you got a chance to ask what's the deal it's already into it's 2nd can and starting to hit on your girlfriend. This thing is so rude and loud.

I ain't going to bore you with reference points for this band, you can figure them out for yourself......

Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: Lost Treasures of the Discount Bin   Lost Treasures of the Discount Bin Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2009 8:10 pm

UNBAND is killer and a Shiney fave....

PostSubject: Re: Lost Treasures of the Discount Bin   Lost Treasures of the Discount Bin Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2009 8:16 pm

Unband is really good, but doesn't rock harder than 95% of my stuff. Maybe 25%.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Lost Treasures of the Discount Bin   Lost Treasures of the Discount Bin Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2009 8:56 pm

One of my favorite random .99 purchases will always be The Gandharvas - Sold For A Smile. Turned out to be one of my favorite alternative rock records of the 90's.

A recent .99 treasure I'm loving is United - No .I.Q.

One unbelievable deal I found in the discount bin in the last year included Motorhead's Another Perfect Day Deluxe edition and Y&T - Black Tiger as part of a buy four for ten sale at Music For Less. Felt like I stole them after.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Lost Treasures of the Discount Bin   Lost Treasures of the Discount Bin Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2009 8:57 pm

Who needs the discount bin? I find CDs in the GROUND, B*TCHES!!! 🤘
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Lost Treasures of the Discount Bin   Lost Treasures of the Discount Bin Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2009 9:01 pm

Eyesore wrote:

Yeah but Eyesore your music collection is so expansive you've probably only heard 25% of it. Laughing
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Lost Treasures of the Discount Bin   Lost Treasures of the Discount Bin Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2009 9:29 pm

I see that DB just got Only Living Witness "Innocents" out of the discount bin. That's one that I discovered there too, an all time fave. However it's since been re-issued together with "Prone Mortal Form" (even better), so of course I upgraded to that.
There were so many great mid 90's cds that I got very cheap. I couldn't even list them all. The best ones tend to be sort of "post Soundgarden" type stuff.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lost Treasures of the Discount Bin   Lost Treasures of the Discount Bin Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2009 10:22 pm

rattpoison wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Yeah but Eyesore your music collection is so expansive you've probably only heard 25% of it. Laughing
No way. I really do listen to music like 18 hours a day. Very few CDs get no attention. I usually go through genre/style cravings. So my listening habits are very focused on one style for a while, then I switch it up. And I don't have any one style that overwhelms my collection. Rock and metal are obviously a big part of it, but I don't know that that covers even half.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lost Treasures of the Discount Bin   Lost Treasures of the Discount Bin Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2009 10:30 pm

SAHB Healer wrote:
I see that DB just got Only Living Witness "Innocents" out of the discount bin. That's one that I discovered there too, an all time fave. However it's since been re-issued together with "Prone Mortal Form" (even better), so of course I upgraded to that.
There were so many great mid 90's cds that I got very cheap. I couldn't even list them all. The best ones tend to be sort of "post Soundgarden" type stuff.
You ever heard Nudeswirl?

Brilliant band. Their use of feedback was like another instrument.

More here: http://www.myspace.com/nudeswirl2

"Buffalo" (my favorite song) video here: http://www.mtv.com/videos/nudeswirl/88081/buffalo.jhtml
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Lost Treasures of the Discount Bin   Lost Treasures of the Discount Bin Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2009 11:01 pm

Sure. Nudeswirl is one of those kutout klassics from that era. Gruntruck is another one we've discussed before too. I should make a list, there's a whole bunch of great ones.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Lost Treasures of the Discount Bin   Lost Treasures of the Discount Bin Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2009 11:13 pm

Eyesore wrote:
rattpoison wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
No way. I really do listen to music like 18 hours a day. Very few CDs get no attention. I usually go through genre/style cravings. So my listening habits are very focused on one style for a while, then I switch it up. And I don't have any one style that overwhelms my collection. Rock and metal are obviously a big part of it, but I don't know that that covers even half.

I know, i was just taking the piss. Cool

Just to prove you don't have everything here's more hip pocket pain......and if you have it Eyesore then i'll be damned.

Attention Sahb, Manny, Detuned, Spec, Shiney and others......

Tumbleweed - Tumbleweed (1992)

Lost Treasures of the Discount Bin 48774

You probably don't find these guys amongst your record store discount bins in the US but down here their quite common.

These Leaf Hounds and Lysergic Emanator's from Wollongong (South of Sydney) produced some of the finest unheralded music of the psychedelic early 90's.

I could describe them as not being as hip as Thee Hypnotics, not as crusty as Kyuss, not as doomy as Trouble and not as gloomy as Seattle but they somehow fit in between these contemporaries.

But really they sound like Black Sabbath dropping acid with the 13th Floor Elevators!

They supported Nirvana, Iggy Pop and Rollins Band and had early singles produced by Mark Arm (Mudhoney) and Seattle super producer Jack Endino but they never broke......if there was a cutesy label like Stoner Rock back then maybe, but they were just to 60's cheery for the Grunge scene.

Anwayz trippy.......

Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Lost Treasures of the Discount Bin   Lost Treasures of the Discount Bin Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2009 11:49 pm

I got Cryptic Slaughters Stream Of Consciousness still sealed in the longbox for 3.99 in a discount bin once.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com

PostSubject: Re: Lost Treasures of the Discount Bin   Lost Treasures of the Discount Bin Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 1:25 am

spectrefate wrote:

My first pick is

Lost Treasures of the Discount Bin 001

Core's Revival (1996)

Spec, you ROCK! Never heard this, probably never would have. Very Kyuss-inspired, thus I dig it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lost Treasures of the Discount Bin   Lost Treasures of the Discount Bin Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 2:37 am

Quote :
I got Cryptic Slaughters Stream Of Consciousness still sealed in the longbox for 3.99 in a discount bin once.

I was robbed!

Do you still have the longbox?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lost Treasures of the Discount Bin   Lost Treasures of the Discount Bin Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 3:44 am

Piss on you, RP. I have Weedseed! Haha. And I love it! I've never come across their other discs.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Lost Treasures of the Discount Bin   Lost Treasures of the Discount Bin Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 8:12 am

One of my best cutout bin scores was "2x4" by Guadalcanal Diary. I had it on vinyl but never expected to find it anywhere on CD much less in the discard racks. Long out of print and currently going on Amazon for about $30.

PostSubject: Re: Lost Treasures of the Discount Bin   Lost Treasures of the Discount Bin Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lost Treasures of the Discount Bin
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next