Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dragonforce: am i the only one to dislike them?

Go down 
+19
Vordul
scottmitchell74
Stender
tohostudios
manny
powermacho
Lurideath
Schbopo
mc666
TH Joe
skullsmasher
kmorg
ultmetal
Troublezone
Olafsto
DallasBlack
Fat Freddy
MetalRob331
Gilbert
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

Dragonforce: am i the only one to dislike them? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragonforce: am i the only one to dislike them?   Dragonforce: am i the only one to dislike them? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 8:14 pm

I hate dragonforce.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal

PostSubject: Re: Dragonforce: am i the only one to dislike them?   Dragonforce: am i the only one to dislike them? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 8:18 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
powermacho wrote:
I saw DRAGONFORCE live last year, and let me tell you that the solos from guitar and keyboard are not played live. I was behind the guy that is in charge of the sounds, and he had a computer which had every single solo and some riffs from the show. They also had the fast drumming on the computer.

I don't know if many bands do it, but it is to be expected from a band that it's supossed to play fast.

That doesn't surprise me at all. (I have suspicions that Rhapsody use the same tricks live)...just listen to the drums on any DragonForce song. There is no way possible that a human being is playing all of those drums unless he's got eighteen legs!!
Some say the same thing about Gene Hoglan, but he plays everything. To me, the claims that Dragonforce are really terrible live and use computers and such are about as valid as the nonsensical claims that Lars Ulrich used session drummers during Metallica recordings or that the spliced all the fills in and Lars really sucks. It's all made-up silliness.

As for the band overall. I have one album and I quite like it. Very catchy, and I didn't feel like every song sounded the same. It's all very sugary and I doubt they could ever be on constant rotation, but I had no issues listening to the entire album all the way through...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dragonforce: am i the only one to dislike them?   Dragonforce: am i the only one to dislike them? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 8:27 pm

Clearly the band is playing every note. And doesn't that song sort of sound like a power metal version of Garth Brooks's "Thunder Rolls" during the verses? Haha.
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1778

PostSubject: Re: Dragonforce: am i the only one to dislike them?   Dragonforce: am i the only one to dislike them? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 8:40 pm

Eyesore wrote:

Clearly the band is playing every note. And doesn't that song sort of sound like a power metal version of Garth Brooks's "Thunder Rolls" during the verses? Haha.
I was there, and I was not the only one that saw it. They had every solo programed and the fast drumming as well. I don't need to lie about it. They do play the power chords and some music, but when it comes to do some fast stuff they used they programed computers. They even have on the computers when the band had some delays, so that the guys could be aware when not to press the buttons
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Dragonforce: am i the only one to dislike them?   Dragonforce: am i the only one to dislike them? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 8:41 pm

I saw them live in Ft. Worth. They played their own instraments. They weren't super-clean, but they did a good job. It was a GREAT show. It was fun.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Dragonforce: am i the only one to dislike them?   Dragonforce: am i the only one to dislike them? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 9:38 pm

sam wrote:
I hate dragonforce.

They suck a righteous load of popsicles.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Dragonforce: am i the only one to dislike them?   Dragonforce: am i the only one to dislike them? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 10:02 pm

As far as using computers I don't know. What I do know is that the band uses studio effects in there recordings that they cant play live. There studio recordings are really hard to listen to as it sounds fake.

What I see here is a band that will probably never change there sound as they have it in there mind that they are these world class musicians.

Overall just a bad fake band imo...
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Dragonforce: am i the only one to dislike them?   Dragonforce: am i the only one to dislike them? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2009 1:54 am

So, in conclusion, having read all of the above arguments, the verdict is that they suck! Dragonforce: am i the only one to dislike them? - Page 2 352445
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dragonforce: am i the only one to dislike them?   Dragonforce: am i the only one to dislike them? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2009 3:53 am

The verdict is that because they got popular people found it cooler to say they suck. Before they got popular, they ruled. Same story with music "fans" time and time again.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Dragonforce: am i the only one to dislike them?   Dragonforce: am i the only one to dislike them? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2009 4:21 am

I maintain Valley of the Damned and Sonic Firestorm are class platters. I remember when Sonic Firestorm came out, me and a friend just sat there playing Dreamcast and spinning the CD twice in a row (clearly we were Dragonforce's target audience at the time ;P). The only issue is they have become very samey now.

Valley of the Damned was fantastic as the songs were well written and there was some interesting bariance on there - they have yet to match songs like 'Disciples of Babylon'. Sonic Firestorm was good and fun, but everything sort of melded in to one and two songs on the album started off with a riff that was nearly note-for-note identical ('Fury of the Storm' and 'Prepare for War' if anyone's interested). Inhuman Rampage was just a step too far in terms of lacking creativity, and whilst somewhat enjoyable, it was just the same thing over and over. I think it would really help if they took a look at the first album to see what made it so good when writing the next. I've yet to hear the entire of Ultra Beatdown, but I'm a bit indifferent to what I have heard.

Also, have caught these guys live a couple of times. I was at the front for one of their smaller Sonic Firestorm shows and it was definitely one of the most enjoyable gigs I've ever been to. Sure, they're very sloppy live but they're heaps of fun. You know a gig is going to be a good laugh when the band walks on stage to the Street Fighter II theme music.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Dragonforce: am i the only one to dislike them?   Dragonforce: am i the only one to dislike them? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2009 8:59 am

Eyesore wrote:
The verdict is that because they got popular people found it cooler to say they suck. Before they got popular, they ruled. Same story with music "fans" time and time again.

That does happen all the time, doesn't it, the self proclaimed "real fans" suddenly hate a band when they get popular.

I like Dragonforce, they aren't my favorite band of all time, but I like the music.

My only issue is on the ultra beatdown, th eintor to the first sounds sounds like the CD is skipping! Once I get past that, it's all good!
Back to top Go down
skullsmasher
Metal master
Metal master
skullsmasher

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: Dragonforce: am i the only one to dislike them?   Dragonforce: am i the only one to dislike them? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2009 11:57 am

Smindas wrote:
I was at the front for one of their smaller Sonic Firestorm shows and it was definitely one of the most enjoyable gigs I've ever been to. Sure, they're very sloppy live but they're heaps of fun. You know a gig is going to be a good laugh when the band walks on stage to the Street Fighter II theme music.

I think they really fun to watch, They have lots of fun on stage and when the band seem to be having fun it only makes the shows more enjoyable.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Dragonforce: am i the only one to dislike them?   Dragonforce: am i the only one to dislike them? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2009 12:05 pm