Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place"

Go down 
+8
nevermore
Fat Freddy
DeathCult
MetalGuy71
the sentinel
skullsmasher
manny
akeldama
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

?
Jailbait
Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place" Vote_lcap7%Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place" Vote_rcap
 7% [ 1 ]
Lightning Strikes
Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place" Vote_lcap73%Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place" Vote_rcap
 73% [ 11 ]
Bi+ch's Brew
Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place" Vote_lcap7%Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place" Vote_rcap
 7% [ 1 ]
Bolivian Ragamuffin
Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place" Vote_lcap13%Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place" Vote_rcap
 13% [ 2 ]
Cry Me A River
Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place" Vote_lcap0%Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place" Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Prelude To Joanie
Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place" Vote_lcap0%Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place" Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Joanie's Butterfly
 0% [ 0 ]
Rock In A Hard Place (Cheshire Cat)
 0% [ 0 ]
Jig Is Up
 0% [ 0 ]
Push Comes To Shove
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 15

AuthorMessage
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place" Empty
PostSubject: Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place"   Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place" Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 4:28 pm

Been listening to this a lot the last 2 days so...I gotta go with Jailbait,Lightning Strikes, and Bolivian Ragamuffin.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place"   Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place" Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 4:32 pm

I voted for Bolivian Ragamuffin. Great stream of conscience poetry from Mr Steven Tyler
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place"   Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place" Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 4:41 pm

"Lightning Strikes". Top 5 Aero song for me.
Back to top Go down
skullsmasher
Metal master
Metal master
skullsmasher

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place"   Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place" Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 4:43 pm

Bitch's Brew - for me. Killer album IMO
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place"   Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place" Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 4:50 pm

skullsmasher wrote:

Great song especially love to bridge of the song when Tyler lets out this classic set of lyrics:

I've been thinkin'
Ran my hands through the sands of time
Yeah and I've been drinkin'
Just to make this here song rhyme... yea
(Oooh what the hell ya wanna do)
(I've been drinkin' with the... hi...)
Back to top Go down
skullsmasher
Metal master
Metal master
skullsmasher

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place"   Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place" Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 5:17 pm

manny wrote:
skullsmasher wrote:

Great song especially love to bridge of the song when Tyler lets out this classic set of lyrics:

I've been thinkin'
Ran my hands through the sands of time
Yeah and I've been drinkin'
Just to make this here song rhyme... yea
(Oooh what the hell ya wanna do)
(I've been drinkin' with the... hi...)

My fave part too. I have this album on vinyl, cassette and cd. Dont know why it didn't do better for the band?
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place"   Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place" Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 10:23 am

I went with Lightning Strikes. Great tune and not played out at all by classic rock radio. Peace.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place"   Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place" Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 10:42 am

I too went with "Lightning Strikes". Gotta cool little tale about that song. Wanna hear it? Here it goes...

The last time Aerosmith came to town, they played at the arena where I work. At around 4:30 in the afternoon, the entire band, minus Steven Tyler, takes the stage to rehearse. After tuning up for a few minutes, the band kicks into "Lightning Strikes", basically playing the main riff over and over while Joe and Brad just go off for like 20 minutes, trading leads back and forth. I had chills running up my spine and a grin from ear to ear. Aside from a few roadies, techs and a handful of security guards, it was like watching my own private concert. Joe F'n Perry is the man!! And Brad is certainly no slouch either! I think I enjoyed that little preview better than the actual concert that night.

Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place"   Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place" Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 10:45 am

I went with Lightning Strikes, though, I dont really dig on this album much anymore.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place"   Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place" Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 10:45 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I too went with "Lightning Strikes". Gotta cool little tale about that song. Wanna hear it? Here it goes...

The last time Aerosmith came to town, they played at the arena where I work. At around 4:30 in the afternoon, the entire band, minus Steven Tyler, takes the stage to rehearse. After tuning up for a few minutes, the band kicks into "Lightning Strikes", basically playing the main riff over and over while Joe and Brad just go off for like 20 minutes, trading leads back and forth. I had chills running up my spine and a grin from ear to ear. Aside from a few roadies, techs and a handful of security guards, it was like watching my own private concert. Joe F'n Perry is the man!! And Brad is certainly no slouch either! I think I enjoyed that little preview better than the actual concert that night.

Awesome!
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place"   Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place" Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 11:24 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:

What a great story!!!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place"   Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place" Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 11:42 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:

That is way cool! I didn't know that song was still in their set list nowadays.

I picked "Lightning Strikes" as well. Believe it or not, it was the first Aerosmith song I ever heard. (Yea, I was late getting on their wagon... haha). I was about 11 or 12 and I saw the video for that song on MTV when the album came out and thought "Wow, that was kick ass." I bought the tape a few days later, got hooked, and eventually went all the way thru their back catalog. Though ROCK IN A HARD PLACE may not be the all-around best Smith album it's still a sentimental favorite for me.
Useless trivia, the "Lightning Strikes" video holds the dubious distinction of being the first music video shot in 3-D, which was kind of pointless since most people watching MTV didn't have 3-D glasses handy to see the effect when the video came on.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place"   Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place" Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 11:53 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

That is way cool! I didn't know that song was still in their set list nowadays.

I picked "Lightning Strikes" as well. Believe it or not, it was the first Aerosmith song I ever heard. (Yea, I was late getting on their wagon... haha). I saw the video on MTV when the album came out and thought "Wow, that was kick ass." I bought the tape a few days later and though it may not be the all-around best Smith album it's still a sentimental favorite for me.

Useless trivia, the "Lightning Strikes" video holds the dubious distinction of being the first music video shot in 3-D, which was kind of pointless since most people watching MTV didn't have 3-D glasses handy to see the effect when the video came on.

Oddly enough, they did not play that song as part of the concert, which made it even cooler to hear. In fact, did Joe Perry even play on the studio version of that? He was out of the band by that time wasn't he, Brad too for that matter? I don't know if either one of them has writing credits on that song/album, but I think Jimmy Crespo and Rick Dufay (sp?) were the hired-guns at that point. My guess is that it's just a cool riff for the guys to jam on when warming up.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place"   Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place" Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 11:56 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:

Oddly enough, they did not play that song as part of the concert, which made it even cooler to hear. In fact, did Joe Perry even play on the studio version of that? He was out of the band by that time wasn't he, Brad too for that matter? I don't know if either one of them has writing credits on that song/album, but I think Jimmy Crespo and Rick Dufay (sp?) were the hired-guns at that point. My guess is that it's just a cool riff for the guys to jam on when warming up.

It wasn't in the set list later that night? Wow, then that makes it even cooler. No, Perry didn't play on the studio album (ROCK IN A HARD PLACE) that the song first appeared on (Crespo and Dufay were the guitar team on that). Though I have read somewhere that Joe Perry has said he "wishes he had written that song" so I guess he just likes that tune a lot.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place"   Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place" Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 12:02 pm

Our good friend Wikipedia tells us that the song "Lightning Strikes" was written by long-time friend of the band Richie Supa (who also helped write one of my all-time favorite Aero-tunes "Chip Away the Stone"). Brad Whitford is also credited with rythym guitar on that song.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26454

PostSubject: Re: Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place"   Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place" Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 3:46 pm

Lightning Strikes. I love that song.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place"   Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place" Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 10:01 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Brad Whitford is also credited with rythym guitar on that song.

That sounds right. If memory serves, Whitford was still in the band when they recorded the ROCK IN A HARD PLACE album but he bailed right afterwards so they brought in Rick DuFay for the road work.

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place"   Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place" Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 10:18 pm

Rick Dufay plays on the majority of the albums tracks, 'Rock In a Hard Place' was the 'Chinese Democracy' of its day, it took several years for it be recorded due to delays, at one point recording was suspended when Steven Tyler was involved in a motorcycle that tore off his heel, so that delayed the completion of the album for several months.

Brad Whitford left early during the recording sessions fustrated with the lack of progress and left to form the short lived band Whitford/St. Holmes and that is when Rick Dufay came in.

The album I believe went gold not long after it was released.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place"   Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place" Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 10:38 pm

I went with Lightning Strikes, mostly because of nostalgia...the first band I ever worked for (as a guitar tech, grunt) used to cover this song and it was my first exposure to it. It always brings back memories for me.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place"   Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place" Icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2009 11:35 am

Lightning Strikes for me as well.
Back to top Go down
RevBilly6207
Metal novice
Metal novice
RevBilly6207

Number of posts : 45

PostSubject: Re: Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place"   Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place" Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 6:01 am

Jailbait is one of my top 5 favorite Aerosmith songs.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/once_dead
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place"   Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place" Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 8:24 am

"Lightning Strikes" but overall I think that the entire album is solid, including the "poetic" portion. LOL! Of course I am a bit of an Aero-fanatic.

I've enjoyed all the colloborations between Aerosmith and Richie Supa. "Lightning Strikes" and "Chip Away At the Stone" are two of my favorites.

Second choice would be "Bi+ch's Brew" or "Rock in a Hard Place (Cheshire Cat)". "Jailbait" is a good song as well. Also like the funk vibe of "Jig Is Up.". Aerosmith have always mixed hard rock, heavy metal and bits of blues, funk and r&b.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
biddle

Number of posts : 337

PostSubject: Re: Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place"   Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place" Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 8:49 am

I've never really heard this one. Without Perry and whitford, it's just not Aerosmith to me.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place"   Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place" Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 9:41 am

You doing yourself a disfavor by ignoring this one. It's a great album IMO.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place"   Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place" Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 9:46 am

biddle wrote:
I've never really heard this one. Without Perry and whitford, it's just not Aerosmith to me.

This a great underlooked classic and you should check it out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place"   Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fave Song From "Rock In A Hard Place"
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next