Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Am I finally growing up?

Go down 
+24
jstate
nevermore
rattpoison
scottmitchell74
Leatherface
stevegarveyfan
arttieTHE1manparty
James B.
Glenn Rogers
tohostudios
Addy
zombiewalkin
Thrasher73
mc666
MetalRob331
thejokeriv
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
Troublezone
ultmetal
T-Roy
Hamer12
manny
kmorg
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
stevegarveyfan
Metal master
Metal master
stevegarveyfan

Number of posts : 613

Am I finally growing up? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Am I finally growing up?   Am I finally growing up? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 9:11 pm

I LOVE King's X. I have since a little after Faith Hope Love came out. Then I went back and bought Gretchen. Man, for me that one rates right up there with Abbey Road, Stop the Bleeding and Coma of Souls. Fantastic album!
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

PostSubject: Re: Am I finally growing up?   Am I finally growing up? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 11:20 pm

I have a couple of friends who are HUGE fans of thiers, but they do nothing for me. I tried to get into them, but I just can't.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2

PostSubject: Re: Am I finally growing up?   Am I finally growing up? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 11:23 pm

Some people get them, some don't. One of my best friends of all time says he completely "appreciates" how good they are musically...but they just don't gel for him. That's cool though, we're all wired differently.

First time I heard them was seeing the "King" video on MTV, wasn't really impressed at the time so I didn't pick it up. Then fast-forward a year when Gretchen came out, heard that and it immediately blew me away.

I've been a devoted FANATIC ever since...own all the albums...own all the side projects...as far as I'm concerned they are still growing and getting better as a band.

Here's another tidbit of info about me. From 1997-2005 or so...I didn't listen to metal at all, didn't listen to much rock either (I was on a major jazz/fusion/blues/folk kick). EXCEPT for King's X, I bought every album, went to every show that came through town...they were the one group that I followed non-stop through all those years.

I agree with Sax, if I could only listen to 1 band for the rest of my life...that's who I'd pick.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Am I finally growing up?   Am I finally growing up? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 11:25 pm

Never could get into them.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Am I finally growing up?   Am I finally growing up? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 7:26 am

Amen brother Kmorg! Or are you not over the line yet.

Tapehead is a fine record you should check out....perfect marriage of hook n' heft.

I don't like them so much because of their musicianship or mastery over their instruments (Leave that talk to the nerds who read Guitar World) but because they fill that seemingly impossible void between the Jimi Hendrix Experience, Beatles, Black Sabbath and Funkadelic (Sub in Parliament if you will).

If you don't groove on one of the above then that's a big clue to maybe why you don't like them or 'get' them as some would have it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Am I finally growing up?   Am I finally growing up? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 8:19 am

Been a fan since the first album came out and I've never looked back...probably my favorite overall band of all time!
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Am I finally growing up?   Am I finally growing up? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 9:30 am

On VH1 Top 100 Hard rock bands of all time, Ritchie Blackmore made two statements one was that he would hate to follow King' s X and also that after Ian Gillan left Deep Purple in 1989 or 1990, he made overtures to see if Doug would be interested in the vacant vocal spot and he turned them down!! If that had happened I wonder what that would have sounded like if Doug instead of Joe Lynn Turner had become the vocalist.

Of course maybe it is a good thing he turned out down since Joe Lynn Turner was fired after only one album and tour, the clip should be somehere on Youtube if anyone is interested what Blackmore said verbatim.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Am I finally growing up?   Am I finally growing up? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 3:37 pm

I've been a fan since Out Of The Silent Planet. One of my all time favorites.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Am I finally growing up?   Am I finally growing up? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 5:03 pm

When Gretchen Goes To Nebraska came out that record got such incredible reviews. I don't know what I expected but it didn't do much for me. For some reason I also got Faith, Hope, Love too and that did even less for me. About ten years ago I dusted them off and gave them a spin. Maybe it was "growing up" but I loved them. Still have too many gaps in the King's X collection that need to be filled.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Am I finally growing up?   Am I finally growing up? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 7:52 pm

kmorg wrote:
I'm listening to King's X - "Gretchen Goes To Nebraska" for the umpteenth time. And for whatever reason, today I'm actually liking it! I've owned several King's X albums, tried and tried my utmost to find out what the fuzz is all about concerning this band, but to no avail. That is 'til today! This album is actually quite good! Gawd, I hope I donæt like any of their other albums starting now. I'd hte to have to call myself a fan!

Kurt, you are a better man than I b/c in no way could I listen to something for the umpteenth time hoping it would click and I would like it. Lol. I usually know after a spin or two of a particular platter if it is ever coming of the shelf again. Glad to see you like 'em. I got into them in the mid 90's when a buddy brought "Dogman" in to work and we listened to it twice through on our shift that night.I went to the store the next day and bought it on cassette. I have been a fan since. Peace.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Am I finally growing up?   Am I finally growing up? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2009 10:58 am

You know, it's getting harder and harder to like albums on the first spin for me. I used to be like that, but rarely does anything impress me on the first or second listen nowadays. I need to hear an album maybe 5 times to really get into it. I've sat down numerous times lately, ready to write a lukewarm or really harsch write-up for a new album on Metal Metropolis. But as I sit and write, I let the album play in the background, and suddenly it just opens up to me. A good example is the last Iced Earth CD.

PostSubject: Re: Am I finally growing up?   Am I finally growing up? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2009 11:01 am

I'm a King's X fanboy...and I still need to listen to each new album about 4 or 5 times to completely absorb it. There were a few of their albums that I was really disappointed in on the first couple listens...but once they clicked I loved them.
Back to top Go down
TH Joe
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
TH Joe

Number of posts : 450

PostSubject: Re: Am I finally growing up?   Am I finally growing up? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2009 2:55 pm

King's X is Rad! "Gretchen..." is their best album imo.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Am I finally growing up?   Am I finally growing up? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2009 5:02 pm

I am like kmorg, it usually takes me a few spins for me to like a CD, and this especially true of King's X, and jazz CD's that I own, the cool thing about King's X albums is you always hear something new.
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Am I finally growing up?   Am I finally growing up? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2009 7:08 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:

Yeah. I can't get into them either. I have their self-titled, but I can't find anything too great about it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Am I finally growing up?   Am I finally growing up? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2009 7:15 pm

EvyMetal wrote:
scottmitchell74 wrote:

Yeah. I can't get into them either. I have their self-titled, but I can't find anything too great about it.

Well, in my opinion that's their weakest album, so I could understand that.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Am I finally growing up?   Am I finally growing up? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 9:33 am

kmorg wrote:
You know, it's getting harder and harder to like albums on the first spin for me. I used to be like that, but rarely does anything impress me on the first or second listen nowadays. I need to hear an album maybe 5 times to really get into it. I've sat down numerous times lately, ready to write a lukewarm or really harsch write-up for a new album on Metal Metropolis. But as I sit and write, I let the album play in the background, and suddenly it just opens up to me. A good example is the last Iced Earth CD.

I am experiencing that now too so dont feel alone kurt.. I dont get the WOW factor from stuff like I used to. The last Helloween cd had the WOW factor but not too much since then. I have to listen to stuff a lot closer than what I used to do. Its one of those reasons I am slowing down in my cd purchases. I just dont get the same enjoyment out of the newer stuff. Guess its law of diminishing returns... I bought the last IE cd on a blind buy because I love IE but now I cant listen to it. Its just not that good...

Alex

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Am I finally growing up?   Am I finally growing up? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Am I finally growing up?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2