Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What is "Grunge"? Really.

Go down 
+27
sheets
Onkel Ben
Neuropete
Lurideath
XYZ
hen8
sam
candlemass
SAHB Healer
rattpoison
James B.
Thrasher73
Stender
Addy
Fat Freddy
kmorg
YngwieDokkenfan
tohostudios
Schbopo
EvyMetal
MetalRob331
iamrockerfun
Troublezone
MetalGuy71
manny
the sentinel
DeathCult
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

What is "Grunge"? Really. - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is "Grunge"? Really.   What is "Grunge"? Really. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2009 11:58 pm

What I remember is that the term Grunge wasn't quite so much about a certain sound per se, as much as an image that was supposed to be the antithesis of the 80's image. That is to say the early 90's musician guy was supposed to dress more like your next door neigbor's teenage son than the 80's musician guy who dressed like your next door neigbor's slutty aunt. A new image for a new generation.
I think the musical stereotypes have hardened since, and Grunge has come to signify also a style of music that was influenced by Punk and College rock and went on to influence Nu Modern hard rock or whatever it's called. But when it started it was fairly diverse. The harder edge of alternative rock but, encompassing several styles from Pearl Jam's radio hits to Tad Doyle's gritty rumbling.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: What is "Grunge"? Really.   What is "Grunge"? Really. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 11:29 am

SAHB Healer wrote:
What I remember is that the term Grunge wasn't quite so much about a certain sound per se, as much as an image that was supposed to be the antithesis of the 80's image. That is to say the early 90's musician guy was supposed to dress more like your next door neigbor's teenage son than the 80's musician guy who dressed like your next door neigbor's slutty aunt. A new image for a new generation.
Laughing very hard

I think the musical stereotypes have hardened since, and Grunge has come to signify also a style of music that was influenced by Punk and College rock and went on to influence Nu Modern hard rock or whatever it's called. But when it started it was fairly diverse. The harder edge of alternative rock but, encompassing several styles from Pearl Jam's radio hits to Tad Doyle's gritty rumbling.

Very Happy Very well states, SAHB Healer. I was watching Heavy: The Story of Metal the other night and when they got to the part about Punk music in the first hour, I couldn't help but think that Grunge, like Punk was brought on by Metal and the lack of originality/ saturation that was happening in the end of the 70's and the end of the 80's. Peace.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: What is "Grunge"? Really.   What is "Grunge"? Really. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 12:30 pm

the sentinel wrote:
SAHB Healer wrote:
Laughing very hard

Very Happy Very well states, SAHB Healer. I was watching Heavy: The Story of Metal the other night and when they got to the part about Punk music in the first hour, I couldn't help but think that Grunge, like Punk was brought on by Metal and the lack of originality/ saturation that was happening in the end of the 70's and the end of the 80's. Peace.

Perfectly stated and 100% agree or as required fields would say: 🤘
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What is "Grunge"? Really.   What is "Grunge"? Really. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 1:12 pm

I listened to Ultramega OK and Louder Than Love last night, these albums still sound GREAT...no matter what genre you lump them into.

I had forgotten how "doomy" some of the tracks like "Beyond The Wheel" and "Gun" are.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: What is "Grunge"? Really.   What is "Grunge"? Really. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 7:06 pm

the sentinel wrote:
I was watching Heavy: The Story of Metal the other night and when they got to the part about Punk music in the first hour, I couldn't help but think that Grunge, like Punk was brought on by Metal and the lack of originality/ saturation that was happening in the end of the 70's and the end of the 80's. Peace.

I was going to mention the parallel between the relationship/reaction between Hair/Grunge and Keith Emerson type Prog-flash & Punk, but I didn't go that deep. It was a repeat of the same "back to basics" ethic in a way, although it was a different era too.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: What is "Grunge"? Really.   What is "Grunge"? Really. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 8:52 pm

What is metal, really?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: What is "Grunge"? Really.   What is "Grunge"? Really. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 11:35 am

Grunge to me seems to be a mix of Sabbath fuzz and alternative rock.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: What is "Grunge"? Really.   What is "Grunge"? Really. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 11:46 am

candlemass wrote:
What is metal, really?

It's the stuff that makes me scream out, my nipples stiffen, sends shivers down my spine and puts a smile on my face. Oddly enough, a nice Italian dinner with some good wine gives me the same reaction. Weird. Which is partly the reason the wife and I don't go out to dinner much anymore. What is "Grunge"? Really. - Page 3 337331

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: What is "Grunge"? Really.   What is "Grunge"? Really. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 12:06 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
candlemass wrote:
What is metal, really?

It's the stuff that makes me scream out, my nipples stiffen, sends shivers down my spine and puts a smile on my face. Oddly enough, a nice Italian dinner with some good wine gives me the same reaction. Weird. Which is partly the reason the wife and I don't go out to dinner much anymore. What is "Grunge"? Really. - Page 3 337331

So i guess a night out at Pizza Hut with a heavy metal juke box is paradise.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: What is "Grunge"? Really.   What is "Grunge"? Really. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 12:25 pm

Troublezone wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
candlemass wrote:
What is metal, really?

I said NICE Italian dinner. Pizza Hut's are banished from my town. The South Philly mob (which doesn't exist) made sure of that.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: What is "Grunge"? Really.   What is "Grunge"? Really. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 10:04 pm

Troublezone wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
candlemass wrote:
What is metal, really?

lol! Laughing very hard lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
hen8
Metal novice
Metal novice
hen8

Number of posts : 20

PostSubject: Re: What is "Grunge"? Really.   What is "Grunge"? Really. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 9:51 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
Grunge to me is a style that is basically not heavy enough to be metal and not soft enough to be alternative.

well said dude!
Back to top Go down
hen8
Metal novice
Metal novice
hen8

PostSubject: Re: What is "Grunge"? Really.   What is "Grunge"? Really. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 9:57 pm

Addy wrote:
I said MOST not ALL Smile

Im a big fan of Grunge music, It was something I could relate to when I was younger, it was nice to hear songs about angst and stuff instead of women and sex. I think the biggest thing I liked about Grunge was it let me express my creativity (am an aspiring writer) When Nirvana and STP and Pearl Jam first came out I couldnt stand them. I still cant stand Pearl Jam but Nirvana I got hooked when their unplugged performance first aired. Now I got most of the nirvana catalog and alot of Imports. STP it took their 2nd album for me to get hooked and I have their entire catalog. I love STP i can listen to STP alot more now than I can with Nirvana but I still loves it

me too. i love NIRVANA
Back to top Go down
hen8
Metal novice
Metal novice
hen8

PostSubject: Re: What is "Grunge"? Really.   What is "Grunge"? Really. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 10:07 pm

grunge for me is an sub-genre of ALTERNATIVE ROCK !! that makes may head-bang if i hear NIRVANA songs \'arry \'eadbanger
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: What is "Grunge"? Really.   What is "Grunge"? Really. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 10:29 pm

Pimp wrote:
grunge for me is an sub-genre of ALTERNATIVE ROCK !! that makes may head-bang if i hear NIRVANA songs \'arry \'eadbanger

humble I like you already.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: What is "Grunge"? Really.   What is "Grunge"? Really. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 11:47 pm

detuned wrote:
I listened to Ultramega OK and Louder Than Love last night, these albums still sound GREAT...no matter what genre you lump them into.

I had forgotten how "doomy" some of the tracks like "Beyond The Wheel" and "Gun" are.

Two of my favorite albums, I LOVED early Soundgarden.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
hen8
Metal novice
Metal novice
hen8

PostSubject: Re: What is "Grunge"? Really.   What is "Grunge"? Really. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 3:05 am

Schbopo wrote:
Pimp wrote:

humble I like you already.

tnx for that .. i like you too!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: What is "Grunge"? Really.   What is "Grunge"? Really. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 11:03 am

SAHB Healer wrote:

That sounds about right. It did seem like a total revolt against 80's hair metal.
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: What is "Grunge"? Really.   What is "Grunge"? Really. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 1:15 pm

hen8 wrote:

I like grunge beyond Nirvana, they're a good band but there's other good grunge out there.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: What is "Grunge"? Really.   What is "Grunge"? Really. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 6:11 pm

They should have termed it garbage.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: What is "Grunge"? Really.   What is "Grunge"? Really. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 7:00 pm

Lurideath wrote:
They should have termed it garbage.

Yes.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: What is "Grunge"? Really.   What is "Grunge"? Really. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 7:44 pm

I like a lot of grunge.

Screaming Trees, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, early Pearl Jam...

I'm not sure what classifies those bands as "grunge" beyond the fact that they all originated in the Northwest but since I'm not a genre nazi, I don't care how you classify that sound, I just know I like it.

EDIT: Not a big Nirvana fan though; I think they're the first "emo" band.

Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: What is "Grunge"? Really.   What is "Grunge"? Really. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 1:17 am

tohostudios wrote:
I like a lot of grunge.

Screaming Trees, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, early Pearl Jam...

I'm not sure what classifies those bands as "grunge" beyond the fact that they all originated in the Northwest but since I'm not a genre nazi, I don't care how you classify that sound, I just know I like it.

EDIT: Not a big Nirvana fan though; I think they're the first "emo" band.

I'd still say Alice In Chains and Soundgarden were metal. They wrote some heavy stuff.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What is "Grunge"? Really.   What is "Grunge"? Really. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 1:45 am

I've said it before and I'll say it again...sub-genre "labels" are superfluous...record company suits trying to find a catchy phrase they can use for promotion purposes.

"Grunge" is the stuff in that pan underneath your refrigerator...it's not a musical term and means nothing.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: What is "Grunge"? Really.   What is "Grunge"? Really. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 9:44 am

I just finished reading a book called Nirvana a Biography by Everett True, the author was/is a writer for British magazine NME and was friends with both Courtney and Kurt. It was a long read but it did delve into the whole "Grunge" scene funny thing with Nirvana is that they were among the first to be successful, Kurt Cobain always considered Nirvana a Punk Rock band, Grunge is a corporate term. Even the Olympia bands whom Kurt had tried to associated himself with alienated Nirvana because in their eyes Nirvana sold out and were too commercial. One of the reasons why they did In Utero was to not be so commercial IMO Grunge was very corporate, from the label to the actions of bands like Nirvana, Sonic Youth, Hole, etc....I think if Nirvana didnt do that last tour I think Kurt would still be alive but thats a whole differant discussion I think
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is "Grunge"? Really.   What is "Grunge"? Really. - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What is "Grunge"? Really.
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next