Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Vh1's Top 100 heavy metal/hard rock artist of all time

Go down 
+11
P_Knight
Addy
EvyMetal
thejokeriv
arttieTHE1manparty
Leatherface
Schbopo
XYZ
ultmetal
stevegarveyfan
manny
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Vh1's Top 100 heavy metal/hard rock artist of all time Empty
PostSubject: Vh1's Top 100 heavy metal/hard rock artist of all time   Vh1's Top 100 heavy metal/hard rock artist of all time Icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2009 10:10 am

Several years ago VH1 kicked off their countdown trend with this special with a very tasty Carmen Electra hosting, IMO it is not a bad list and I can make a case for almost every artist on this list. Anyway posted for your thoughts, discussions,etc:

100. Quiet Riot
99. Bad Brains
98. Mountain
97. Primus
96. Meatloaf
95. Fugazi
94. Yes
93. Lenny Kravitz
92. The Black Crowes
91. The Misfits/Danzig
90. Rainbow
89. Lita Ford
88. Tool
87. King Crimson
86. Foreigner
85. Whitesnake
84. UFO
83. King's X
82. Queensryche
81. The Pixies
80. Green Day
79.Ratt
78. Marilyn Manson
77. Hole
76. Bon Jovi
75. Spinal Tap
74. Pat Benatar
73. Twisted Sister
72. Foo Fighters
71. Lynyrd Skynyrd
70. Living Colour
69. Megadeth
68. Husker Du
67. The Rolling Stones
66. Joan Jett and the Blackhearts
65. The Cult
64. Steppenwolf
63. Boston
62. Ministry
61. Jethro Tull
60. New York Dolls
59. Bad Company
58. Anthrax
57. Heart
56. White Zombie/Rob Zombie
55. Blue Oyster Cult
54. Sonic Youth
53. Korn
52. Faith No More
51. Thin Lizzy
50. Slayer
49. Smashing Pumpkins
48. Janis Joplin
47. Rollins Band
46. The Scorpions
45. Pantera
44. ZZTOP
43. Nine Inch Nails
42. The kinks
41. Ted Nugent
40. Stone Temple Pilots
39. Neil Young
38. MC5
37. The Yardbirds
36. Frank Zappa
35. Jane's Addiction
34. Alice In Chains
33. Rage Against the Machine
32. The Doors
31. Def Leppard
30. Red Hot Chili Peppers
29. Motley Crue
28. Rush
27. Iggy Pop
26. Motorhead
25. Cheap Trick
24. Iron Maiden
23. Judas Priest
22. Deep Purple
21. Pearl Jam
20. Alice Cooper
19. The Clash
18. Ozzy Osbourne
17. The Ramones
16. Cream
15. Pink Floyd
14. Soundgarden
13. Queen
12. The Sex Pistols
11. Aerosmith
10. KISS
9. Guns N Roses
8. The Who
7. Van Halen
6. Nirvana
5. Metallica
4. AC/DC
3. Jimi Hendrix
2. Black Sabbath
1. Led Zeppelin
Back to top Go down
stevegarveyfan
Metal master
Metal master
stevegarveyfan

Number of posts : 613

PostSubject: Re: Vh1's Top 100 heavy metal/hard rock artist of all time   Vh1's Top 100 heavy metal/hard rock artist of all time Icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2009 12:43 pm

I am just thrilled that King's X made the list. All the others, I pretty much expected.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Vh1's Top 100 heavy metal/hard rock artist of all time   Vh1's Top 100 heavy metal/hard rock artist of all time Icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2009 12:47 pm

Nirvana and Guns N Roses OVER Kiss, Deep Purple and Aerosmith. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Did I miss something or is Anthrax and Metallica on the list but Megadeth and Slayer are not?

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Vh1's Top 100 heavy metal/hard rock artist of all time   Vh1's Top 100 heavy metal/hard rock artist of all time Icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2009 12:50 pm

Megadeth is number 69
Slayer is number 50
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Vh1's Top 100 heavy metal/hard rock artist of all time   Vh1's Top 100 heavy metal/hard rock artist of all time Icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2009 1:20 pm

Take Nirvana out of the top ten and move everyone up. Nirvana can go somewhere in the top 20.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Vh1's Top 100 heavy metal/hard rock artist of all time   Vh1's Top 100 heavy metal/hard rock artist of all time Icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2009 1:33 pm

I am a Nirvana fan but I agree with xyz, I would place them in top 20-25, not the top 10, according to VH1 this list was btw put together by music industry insiders, metal musicians and of course rock journalist.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Vh1's Top 100 heavy metal/hard rock artist of all time   Vh1's Top 100 heavy metal/hard rock artist of all time Icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2009 5:15 pm

Boo! Sabbath should win.
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18924

PostSubject: Re: Vh1's Top 100 heavy metal/hard rock artist of all time   Vh1's Top 100 heavy metal/hard rock artist of all time Icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2009 11:36 pm

I think that bands such as Venom, Celtic Frost and Voivod should have made the list. I mean, if where talking about bands that where inspiring to other bands in the metal scene. But, we are talking about VH1, of course.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
arttieTHE1manparty
Administrator
arttieTHE1manparty

Number of posts : 863

PostSubject: Re: Vh1's Top 100 heavy metal/hard rock artist of all time   Vh1's Top 100 heavy metal/hard rock artist of all time Icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2009 11:51 pm

I don't know that Yes belongs on there...

Arttie
Back to top Go down
http://christianmetalrealm.niceboard.com
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Vh1's Top 100 heavy metal/hard rock artist of all time   Vh1's Top 100 heavy metal/hard rock artist of all time Icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2009 11:51 pm

Iron Maiden is way too low on the list - they should be higher
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Vh1's Top 100 heavy metal/hard rock artist of all time   Vh1's Top 100 heavy metal/hard rock artist of all time Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 5:09 am

Bad Brains?
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Vh1's Top 100 heavy metal/hard rock artist of all time   Vh1's Top 100 heavy metal/hard rock artist of all time Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 7:28 am

manny wrote:
I am a Nirvana fan but I agree with xyz, I would place them in top 20-25, not the top 10, according to VH1 this list was btw put together by music industry insiders, metal musicians and of course rock journalist.

I love Nirvana but they dont belong on the list at all theyre not hard Rock Their Alt/Grunge
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Vh1's Top 100 heavy metal/hard rock artist of all time   Vh1's Top 100 heavy metal/hard rock artist of all time Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 8:06 am

arttieTHE1manparty wrote:
I don't know that Yes belongs on there...

Arttie

Why? They are a legendary and influential band. Do you just not think they are "hard rock"? I could probably agree with that. I've never thought of them as such either.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Vh1's Top 100 heavy metal/hard rock artist of all time   Vh1's Top 100 heavy metal/hard rock artist of all time Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 8:09 am

I think Nirvana belong on any list in regards to metal/hard rock they made a huge impact not just on alt rock but metal and hard rock in general, just witness the slew of bands that followed in their wake. Also Yes belong on this list for not only being the most successful prog rock band (unless you count Genesis as a prog band), very important hard rock band.

Bad Brains great hard core punk band from D.C. often overlooked but also a band that inspired alot of hard core bands in the San Franscio area.

I believe this list was not just specific to heavy metal genre, so why alot of bands are included and I agree with Joker, Iron Maiden should have been higher on the list.

Leatherface is correct that some of those bands showed have been replaced by Venom or Celtic Frost who I am certain made a bigger impact than say Lita Ford's solo career, if anything her entry should have been with the Runaways that were not even listed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Vh1's Top 100 heavy metal/hard rock artist of all time   Vh1's Top 100 heavy metal/hard rock artist of all time Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 8:13 am

I personally think they put Bad Brains on the list as an attempt to give them some credibility. Honestly, who would stick them between Quiet Riot and Mountain? Those three in succession proves that this list was just thrown together at a meeting one Friday afternoon.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Vh1's Top 100 heavy metal/hard rock artist of all time   Vh1's Top 100 heavy metal/hard rock artist of all time Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 8:17 am

I feel the list is strange for example Husker Du, I love Husker Du but when I was growing up nobody I knew liked them but me, now almost 20 years later they make the mainstream top 100 band lists, I am sure Spec is correct they threw a few bands in there to show how hip they are despite their claims of being voted by musicians, etc.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Vh1's Top 100 heavy metal/hard rock artist of all time   Vh1's Top 100 heavy metal/hard rock artist of all time Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 9:01 am

I believe that list was voted on by artists and critics...if I'm not mistaken...that's how King's X made it on...haha! I also think it's cool the placed ahead of other bands who have sold way more records than they have...Quiet Riot (first Metal #1), Meatloaf, Yes, Lenny Kravitz, The Black Crowes, Rainbow, Tool, Foreigner, Whitesnake, UFO...all way more popular in the mainstream than King's X and King's X beat them out...sweet.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Vh1's Top 100 heavy metal/hard rock artist of all time   Vh1's Top 100 heavy metal/hard rock artist of all time Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 9:13 am

Shawn, that is what VH1 claimed that the artist on the list where voted in by fellow artist and critics, so maybe that is why Husker Du and Bad Brains made the list and why King's X was higher on the list than other artist that have sold way more albums.

It still looks strange to see Bad Brains sandwiched in between Quiet Riot and Mountain as Spec pointed out, I do wonder if they were to do the poll today if newer bands such as System of a Down and Slipknot would make the list.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Vh1's Top 100 heavy metal/hard rock artist of all time   Vh1's Top 100 heavy metal/hard rock artist of all time Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 9:16 am

77. Hole.

??

I mean, c'mon.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Vh1's Top 100 heavy metal/hard rock artist of all time   Vh1's Top 100 heavy metal/hard rock artist of all time Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 9:19 am

Keep in my mid Spec when this special was done Hole had recently released ' Celebrity Skin' which was getting critical kuddos at that time, so this album and band was probably in the mind of the lot of artists and critics who partook in the voting.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Vh1's Top 100 heavy metal/hard rock artist of all time   Vh1's Top 100 heavy metal/hard rock artist of all time Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 9:25 am

manny wrote:
Shawn, that is what VH1 claimed that the artist on the list where voted in by fellow artist and critics, so maybe that is why Husker Du and Bad Brains made the list and why King's X was higher on the list than other artist that have sold way more albums.

That's exactly what I said. lol!

That's how Fugazi made it too...
Back to top Go down
P_Knight
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 1

PostSubject: Re: Vh1's Top 100 heavy metal/hard rock artist of all time   Vh1's Top 100 heavy metal/hard rock artist of all time Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 3:18 am

Judas Priest:23???????????
Iron Maiden:24???????????
do you know how you can realize this list is stupid? because stupid \"thebandthatshallneverbementionedagain\" is in a better place than Megadeath
then stupid Marylin Manson is in a better spot than TOOL...
this is funny

\m/
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Vh1's Top 100 heavy metal/hard rock artist of all time   Vh1's Top 100 heavy metal/hard rock artist of all time Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 12:55 pm

Fugazi? Thats bizarre!

Misfits/Danzig? I personally would have given both a place but separately as they influenced different people and are two different entities entirely. Technically it should have read Misfits/Danzig/Samhain (sp?).

Everything else has been already mentioned.

Last edited by jettafiend on Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sutekh
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: Vh1's Top 100 heavy metal/hard rock artist of all time   Vh1's Top 100 heavy metal/hard rock artist of all time Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 11:51 pm

Surpsied that King's X and Queensryche are lower than Green Day and \"thebandthatshallneverbementionedagain\". Sure, they're not as popular in album sales or media exposure, but their songwriting and musicianship far outstrips that of GD and \"thebandthatshallneverbementionedagain\".
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Vh1's Top 100 heavy metal/hard rock artist of all time   Vh1's Top 100 heavy metal/hard rock artist of all time Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 12:52 am

Wow, this is old news. But anyway, are you guys really bitching about the order? Other than the top few, I don't think it's really in much of an order.

Frankly I think this was one of VH1's better lists. I appreciate that they threw in King Crimson, Primus, and Husker Du. I don't care if they were just thrown in to give them some credibility, it's just nice to see some good choices from a network that's usually full of sh*t.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vh1's Top 100 heavy metal/hard rock artist of all time   Vh1's Top 100 heavy metal/hard rock artist of all time Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Vh1's Top 100 heavy metal/hard rock artist of all time
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next