Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

So, I purchased my first album ever from iTunes...

Go down 
+26
Thrasher73
DallasBlack
Metal Misfit
scottmitchell74
Chairman_Smith
sovdat
thejokeriv
metalinmyveins
Schbopo
jstate
the sentinel
Addy
kmorg
Hamer12
krokus
skullsmasher
MetalGuy71
Smindas
sam
tohostudios
mc666
biddle
Fat Freddy
Rex
manny
ultmetal
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

So, I purchased my first album ever from iTunes... - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: So, I purchased my first album ever from iTunes...   So, I purchased my first album ever from iTunes... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 2:53 am

If it goes completely digital, i'm never buying music again!
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: So, I purchased my first album ever from iTunes...   So, I purchased my first album ever from iTunes... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 11:03 pm

I'm just curious, when vinyl/tape went out, were any of you resistant to the new CD format?
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: So, I purchased my first album ever from iTunes...   So, I purchased my first album ever from iTunes... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 11:23 pm

Quote :
This idea of purchasing cards at the music store to download the album sounds incredibly stupid to me.

I agree. I hate it.

Quote :
Sadly, detuned I have to agree that at some point it is possible that the physical CD will go the way of the 8 track but I am going to hold out as long as I can.

Me too. I'm holding out. I also believe there was always be something, especially for Metal. Look at how records are coming back. People still think it's cool to have those things, and there's enough demand to make limited pressings worth while.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So, I purchased my first album ever from iTunes...   So, I purchased my first album ever from iTunes... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 12:01 am

I don't think a physical medium will ever completely go away, but CDs are dying fast. Neil Young and some other artists are already experimenting with releasing Blu-Ray titles; higher quality audio, multimedia capabilities, extended storage capacity, etc.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: So, I purchased my first album ever from iTunes...   So, I purchased my first album ever from iTunes... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 12:11 am

Plus, you don't have to worry about your iPod/PC/storage device dying and you losing the music...

Does iPod let you download again if you've already bought it?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So, I purchased my first album ever from iTunes...   So, I purchased my first album ever from iTunes... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 12:37 am

Metal Misfit wrote:

Does iPod let you download again if you've already bought it?

I almost never use iTunes, so I'm not the right person to ask (although I think they do).

The online shops that I primarily use are emusic and the Amazon mp3 store. emusic has the best pricing structure of all (around .33 cents per track) and carry only independent labels, excellent heavy metal selection (awesome jazz collection too). You can do a free trial and get 50 free downloads. Most of their mp3s are higher resolution than iTunes as well.

Amazon has a variable pricing structure which allows them to offer budget pricing on catalog titles. They have a nice selection of out-of-print catalog titles.

emusic and Amazon will both allow you to re-download tracks you've already purchased.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So, I purchased my first album ever from iTunes...   So, I purchased my first album ever from iTunes... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 7:10 am

Quote :
I'm just curious, when vinyl/tape went out, were any of you resistant to the new CD format?

I wasn't. I loved the CD format. No more sh!tty sounding cassettes. But I wasn't quite the cynic back then.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: So, I purchased my first album ever from iTunes...   So, I purchased my first album ever from iTunes... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 8:31 am

I love to own the physical CD. I put the music in my computer for easy access and to put on my MP3 player but I enjoy having the real thing. I realize one day the CD will be gone but I will hold out until then. I want the largest CD collection I can possibly have by then.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: So, I purchased my first album ever from iTunes...   So, I purchased my first album ever from iTunes... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 9:09 am

Chairman_Smith wrote:

I personally was because I felt CD's where too expensive and I had about 500 vinyl albums at that time, but on my 21st birthday my girlfriend at the time bought me two Doors albums on CD, I had to go out get a CD player and fell in love with the format and never looked back.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So, I purchased my first album ever from iTunes...   So, I purchased my first album ever from iTunes... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 9:11 am

I didn't buy a CD until 1991...I was all cassette and vinyl up to that point...
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: So, I purchased my first album ever from iTunes...   So, I purchased my first album ever from iTunes... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 9:11 am

Chairman_Smith wrote:

Nope, I did wait till CD players went down (being a teenager at the time) I went to Bradlees and bought a 90 buck CD player and 2 CDs and that CD player lasted me several years I like digital downloads I love Mp3s but I also love CDs too

The trick with Digital Downloads is burn it on CD and then get a mp3 encoder like winamp then you can take your burned cd and convert it to mp3 and then you have 100% unlimited use of the file
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: So, I purchased my first album ever from iTunes...   So, I purchased my first album ever from iTunes... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 9:53 am

If you already have it as an mp3 why do you need to burn it to a cd and reconvert it to mp3 again?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So, I purchased my first album ever from iTunes...   So, I purchased my first album ever from iTunes... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 9:55 am

Rex wrote:
If you already have it as an mp3 why do you need to burn it to a cd and reconvert it to mp3 again?

DRM protection, I believe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management#Internet_music
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FairPlay

Last edited by spectrefate on Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: So, I purchased my first album ever from iTunes...   So, I purchased my first album ever from iTunes... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 9:56 am

Chairman_Smith wrote:

I wasn't exactly "resistant," I was just a cash strapped high school/college kid who didn't have the $ to buy a CD player when they first came out. Laughing

I finally decided I'd better get on the CD bandwagon circa 1992 because I noticed every time I went to the record store, the CD department kept growing larger while the cassette selection kept shrinking. The writing was on the wall by then... Laughing

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: So, I purchased my first album ever from iTunes...   So, I purchased my first album ever from iTunes... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 10:14 am

Chairman_Smith wrote:

Actually I kinda was. Considering I was just a jobless teenager and couldn't afford CDs and had plenty of tapes (I was a member of Colubia record club and locally there was a used tape store and I bulked up from that-I had every Iron Maiden album at the time, Abigail, Fear Of God, Keeper Of The Seven Keys Pt. 2, Among The Living, Hallow's Eve-Tales Of Terror, Hall Of The Mountain King, I Hear Black, Thr Ritual, and many others). However, I got a CD player and two CDs (Metallica-The Black Album and Megadeth-Youthanasia) one Christmas and it grew from there (I believe my first CD purchas was Iron Maiden-Live After Death) and skyrocketed after discovering used CD stores. I got some tapes here and there because they were extremely cheap by then but I was already hooked on CDs. I wished I could have been part of the CD revolution earlier so my tapes wouldn't be obsolete (most of them got lost or too old) but I was born at the wrong time unfortuantly.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: So, I purchased my first album ever from iTunes...   So, I purchased my first album ever from iTunes... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 10:21 am

I actually remember the first time I saw a CD player on display at a Sears store when they first came out, circa '84 or so. If memory serves the player cost about $400 (!!) and they had a display next to it of a few dozen titles that were available on CD at the time. Of course, they were all all mega-selling pop acts like Elton John, Billy Joel, etc., i.e. nothing that interested me in the slightest. I remember thinking "400 bucks? Screw that, these things will never catch on!"

lol!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So, I purchased my first album ever from iTunes...   So, I purchased my first album ever from iTunes... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 10:22 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
I actually remember the first time I saw a CD player on display at a Sears store when they first came out, circa '84 or so. If memory serves the player cost about $400 (!!) and they had a display next to it of a few dozen titles that were available on CD at the time. Of course, they were all all mega-selling pop acts like Elton John, Billy Joel, etc., i.e. nothing that interested me in the slightest. I remember thinking "400 bucks? Screw that, these things will never catch on!"

Check this baby out...

http://kobnet.net/misc/www.cedmagic.com/history/sony-cdp-101.html

and the first CD ever created...

http://cgi.ebay.com/BILLY-JOEL-52nd-Street-CD-JAPAN-1ST-PRESS-35DP-1-EX_W0QQitemZ250351250362QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMusic_CDs?hash=item250351250362&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: So, I purchased my first album ever from iTunes...   So, I purchased my first album ever from iTunes... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 10:27 am

Laughing Yea, that brings back memories. I don't remember exactly what year I first saw that player at Sears, but I'm fairly sure it was somewhere around '84. That eBay listing sez the Billy Joel CD is from 1982 but I believe CD players and discs were available in Japan for a year or so before they were introduced to the US.

Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: So, I purchased my first album ever from iTunes...   So, I purchased my first album ever from iTunes... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 10:50 am

Fat Freddy wrote:

I wasn't exactly "resistant," I was just a cash strapped high school/college kid who didn't have the $ to buy a CD player when they first came out. Laughing

I finally decided I'd better get on the CD bandwagon circa 1992 because I noticed every time I went to the record store, the CD department kept growing larger while the cassette selection kept shrinking. The writing was on the wall by then... Laughing

This was pretty much me too.I could see it happening I just didnt have the money to keep up
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: So, I purchased my first album ever from iTunes...   So, I purchased my first album ever from iTunes... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 10:53 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Chairman_Smith wrote:

That pretty much describes my story as well. I don't remember the year (early 90's), but I waited a pretty long time before I made the switch. At that point, most of my friends had cd players and would make me tape copies of stuff. And I clearly remember walking into Tower Records one day and they had re-done the whole department, expanding the cd racks and moving tapes to smaller displays.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: So, I purchased my first album ever from iTunes...   So, I purchased my first album ever from iTunes... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 12:51 pm

I wasn't resistant at all - I got my first one in 88 or 89. I loved the improvement in sound quality!!!
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: So, I purchased my first album ever from iTunes...   So, I purchased my first album ever from iTunes... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 1:02 pm

Its very rare that i'll purchase a mp3. On some occasions I will, like if I already have the cd and a rerelease comes out with a song I dont have then i'll check into it. Certain bands I'll just rebuy the cd no matter what.

When mp3's first started to make their appearance I would go to this site a lot http://www.mclub.com.ua and I found tons of bands I never heard of before like Lordi, HIM, The 69 Eyes, etc. bands that werent even heard of here at the time. I like how they have their stuff categoriesed too. I forget what the price of a mp3 is but I dont think it was very expensive at all. Its been a while since I used it but I was on there today and I think I'll start looking up some things again.

Just out of curiosity I looked up Helloween. I have everything so what else could there possibly be haha but they also have bootlegs for some bands and theres some I dont have so i'll take a look into those. They also have all the singles etc etc etc. So the site is pretty complete with what they have where as itunes mostly on has the more popular bands. Check it out.

BTW: just checked out the prices of the mp3s and they are around 10 cents to 14 cents so thats definetly isnt bad at all.

Last edited by Phoenix Reign Drummer on Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: So, I purchased my first album ever from iTunes...   So, I purchased my first album ever from iTunes... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 1:05 pm

spectrefate wrote:
Rex wrote:

DRM protection, I believe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management#Internet_music
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FairPlay

Actually REX depending on where you get the file from, like Itunes its not an MP3 format, its a FLAC format you can burn FLAC files on CD then take that CD and convert it to Mp3, Most places like Itunes dont actually have it available as MP3 but as FLAC or other formats
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: So, I purchased my first album ever from iTunes...   So, I purchased my first album ever from iTunes... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 1:16 pm

iTunes downloads a .mp4 file not a FLAC. Currently iTunes doesn't support FLAC files. And they've actually gone to great lengths to get rid of the DRM. It was the record labels that insisted upon it. Anyway, I think as of a couple of days ago they announced that all of iTunes was going to be DRM free finally. But I'm pretty sure it'll still be .mp4 files that download instead of mp3's. Mp4's are what Apple calls AAC files (Advanced Audio Coding) and are supposed to be superior to mp3s.

Sorry to go all nerdy like that. lol
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: So, I purchased my first album ever from iTunes...   So, I purchased my first album ever from iTunes... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 1:48 pm

OOps my bad I get some of these places mixed up sometimes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So, I purchased my first album ever from iTunes...   So, I purchased my first album ever from iTunes... - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

So, I purchased my first album ever from iTunes...
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next