Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork

Go down 
+17
7thSecond
TheGooch
nevermore
scottmitchell74
EvyMetal
Trial by Fire
DallasBlack
mc666
ensiferum2k
Thrasher73
GrandNational
A Handful of Wayne
SideShowDisaSter
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
DeathCult
Wargod
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork Empty
PostSubject: CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork   CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 7:56 pm

Well guys here's possibly the biggest balls up since ..... well since the last one really.

There I was scouring the WWW looking for a fix and I see this Cover art and immediatly knew who the artist was so I though I'll have me some of that to keep the auld Thrash train running smoothly. Well I'm dreading this arriving now (I should have done the research First not after buying it). I don't even think guess appearances by the likes of John Tardy of Obituary can save this thing.

Well be truthful, would any other Metallers here buy this if you based it solely on the album art ?

CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork Repka_Necro_Prefix

Does anyone here have it ? opinions please if you do, the idea of Death Rap Metal is disturbing to me.

Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork   CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 7:58 pm

Used to buy albums just by the covers alone all the time back in the 70's early 80's.

Wargod48
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork   CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 8:25 pm

Locky wrote:
Well guys here's possibly the biggest balls up since ..... well since the last one really.

There I was scouring the WWW looking for a fix and I see this Cover art and immediatly knew who the artist was so I though I'll have me some of that to keep the auld Thrash train running smoothly. Well I'm dreading this arriving now (I should have done the research First not after buying it). I don't even think guess appearances by the likes of John Tardy of Obituary can save this thing.

Well be truthful, would any other Metallers here buy this if you based it solely on the album art ?

CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork Repka_Necro_Prefix

Does anyone here have it ? opinions please if you do, the idea of Death Rap Metal is disturbing to me.

I love the album myself Locky.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork   CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 8:37 pm

Wargod48 wrote:
Used to buy albums just by the covers alone all the time back in the 70's early 80's.

Wargod48

Same here. Those days are long gone.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork   CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 8:51 pm

That's an Ed Repka cover isn't it? He did tons of thrash album covers back in the day.

I can't say I've ever purchased an album/CD strictly on the artwork alone. There have been a few that have jumped out @ me and made me think "Whoa, this looks pretty cool," but usually (if it's a used CD) I'll ask the guy in the store to put it on for me so I can hear something first. Either that or I remember the band name and Google it later.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PostSubject: Re: CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork   CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 9:06 pm

That cover sure does scream death or thrash metal! I used to buy discs all the time based on the artwork alone, but those days are LOOOOOOONG gone. Back in the day I would have picked that up, no questions! Now, I would have had to hear it first, or get a recommendation from someone I trust before buying.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork   CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 9:20 pm

Yea I think my days of buying things by the look of the album cover are over. Ive seen that Necro cd around and something just told me it couldnt be good or I wouldnt like it. Although the artwork is nice. but like Fat Freddy I now try to remember the bands when I go home so I can look them up. Another thing I do to is look at the record label. If its something I never heard of I usually dont even bother.

Bands that I have bought for artwork:
Grim Reaper- See You In Hell (liked it)
Dreamchild- Reaching the golden gates (thought it was ok but not good enough to keep)
Emerald Sun- Escape from Twilight (not bad id buy the next album)
Human Fortress- Lord of earth and heavens heir (liked it)
Wizard- Head of the Deceiver (liked it and bought all their albums)
Metalium- Chapter One- Millenium Metal (liked it and bought all their albums)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork   CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 9:23 pm

Death rap, yo!

Haha. I have nothing against good rap, but Necro is one of the most overrated underground rappers ever. His his lyrical flows are terrible. He does write a lot of really cool beats, but that doesn't mean anything when the dude rapping over it sucks. And he sucks. It amazes me that so many metal guys support him because he's got this little "metal" image thing going on. He's just not very good.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork   CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 10:01 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Death rap, yo!

Haha. I have nothing against good rap, but Necro is one of the most overrated underground rappers ever. His his lyrical flows are terrible. He does write a lot of really cool beats, but that doesn't mean anything when the dude rapping over it sucks. And he sucks. It amazes me that so many metal guys support him because he's got this little "metal" image thing going on. He's just not very good.

sick
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PostSubject: Re: CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork   CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 10:06 pm

Egads, that was horrible...

I am no fan of rap at all (I think it's rubbish, to be honest), and even "I" could tell that stuff was pure twaddle.

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork   CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 10:50 pm

I've done it millions of times.And yes Locky I would buy it based on the cover alone.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork   CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 11:03 pm

CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork Game%20Over CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork Necro

It sort of has that mid-80's NUCLEAR ASSAULT-"Game Over" idea going. "Game Over" was one of my favorite Thrash albums and Ed Repka's artwork on it was amazing. I think he may have borrowed the idea straight from it (if Repka did the NECRO cover). Substitute the people running for their lives into the NECRO cover, and you have a noticeable similarity. Although, I don't think NECRO could ever come up with as cool a logo as NUCLEAR ASSAULT had.

Last edited by on Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ensiferum2k
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ensiferum2k

Number of posts : 340

PostSubject: Re: CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork   CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 11:05 pm

this was the last one I chose just because of the cover. It's an alright album, not too special, but good enough to keep
CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork Repka_Merciless_Evil
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork   CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2008 12:14 am

I did it just the other day:

CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork L_2cd82b425deaeb0c8abb3e344411cc0d

Great album. Of course, I check the label and song titles and stuff, too. Especially now that a lot of the emo screamo bands are coming up with covers that look like straight up metal covers.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork   CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2008 12:21 am

last album i bought based on cover art alone was Helloween's Better Than Raw.

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork   CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2008 2:13 am

ultmetal wrote:
Those days are long gone.

Not for me, but that is also because I've yet to do that and become disappointed. Some past & present:

Amorphis-Black Winter Day (EP)
Blind Guardian-Nightfall In Middle Earth
Visions Of Atlantis-Cast Away
Masterplan-Aeronautics
Iced Earth-Dark Saga
Sentenced-Amok
Running Wild-Black Hand Inn
Avantasia-A Metal Opera Pt. 2
Epica-The Phantom Agony
King Diamond-Abigail (my earliest of these)
Theatre Of Tragedy-Velvet Darkness They Fear (purchased it because of the naked chick on the cover)

I have a good track record when it comes to blind purchases (picked from nothing more than album covers, breif description of the music, or an advertisement in a magazine), that may be attributed however, to my wide variety of tastes. Statistically, I am bound to come across a stinker but until then I will do blind purchases (however, no where near as frequently as in the past due to budget constraints).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Trial by Fire
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Trial by Fire

Number of posts : 271

PostSubject: Re: CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork   CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2008 2:25 am

The only cd that I bought, that I knew nothing about prior to the purchase, in part because of the cover was last week when I picked up:

CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork 4c8195837d5b3e81bd0e4f91af5c557a5507db37.385.385.4a1870cabd0db6461c8adf7195f47e5e0da6cec6
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork   CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2008 3:17 am

I bought some of the 3 Inches Of Blood cd's based on the cover as well as a Thought Industry. I guess its not that weird seeing as they were all in the metal section of the cd store.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork   CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2008 7:35 am

One time that I could remember. Voivod - Nothingface..... sick sick sick
Lesson learned!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork   CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2008 7:47 am

As a youth I shoplifted Mercyful Fate's Don't Break The Oath due soley on the cover art.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork   CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2008 9:38 am

However....although I don't buy exclusively for cover art sometimes I have a hard time getting rid of something because of the art. I've recently traded Power Quest and Rhapsody cds and the worst part was missing the art!
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork   CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2008 10:10 am

spectrefate wrote:
As a youth I shoplifted Mercyful Fate's Don't Break The Oath due soley on the cover art.

I shoplifted Mortification-s/t from Wal-Mart in my youth (tape not CD) due to cover art, imagine my suprise when I found out it was a Christian band.

CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork 200px-Mortification_st_cover
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork   CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2008 11:08 am

I probably would if I were younger.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork   CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2008 11:36 am

i bought loads of albums by the covers alone when i got into metal years ago with albums by slayer, ratm, biomechanical, dragonforce, slipknot and opeth. i am very glad i bought the opeth album but i regret some o fht eothers
Back to top Go down
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 668

PostSubject: Re: CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork   CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2008 12:20 pm

CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork MunicipalWaste This was the last album I did it with. Didn't regret it at all.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork   CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

CDs / Albums purchased due to Artwork
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: