Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Favorite Metal Magazines

Go down 
+18
Required Fields
bgast1
Olafsto
Lurideath
ghost
Thrasher73
MetalGuy71
thejokeriv
spiritoradio
kmorg
Wargod
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
krokus
Troublezone
mc666
arttieTHE1manparty
Temple of Blood
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Favorite Metal Magazines - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Metal Magazines   Favorite Metal Magazines - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2007 1:02 am

Liz? She's a sweet gal; but I agree that I liked even the preachy Kat and Mike G years better, because of the quality of writing, and the time period. I still keep stacks of old issues around. It's cool to read the demo reviews from that period of bands that are major acts now...

)+(
Back to top Go down
ghost
Metal master
Metal master
ghost

Number of posts : 814

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Metal Magazines   Favorite Metal Magazines - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2007 1:38 am

I use the internet and occasionally I buy Metal Hammer or Rock Hard. In the 80s I was reading every issue of Metal Hammer, still remember the first one with Rob Halford on the cover page.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Metal Magazines   Favorite Metal Magazines - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2007 9:30 am

STIGMATADOR wrote:
Liz? She's a sweet gal; but I agree that I liked even the preachy Kat and Mike G years better, because of the quality of writing, and the time period. I still keep stacks of old issues around. It's cool to read the demo reviews from that period of bands that are major acts now...

)+(

I met Liz C. at an Iced Earth show in Philly in 2002. She was very cool, when I introduced myself she even remembered my name cuz I'd had several letters printed in the "Maniacal Mail" section around that time. She's really short too!

The mag really started to slide downhill towards the end of Katherine Ludwig's tenure in the mid-90s IMHO. You could tell by that time that she was losing interest in metal, they were covering a lot of crap bands and the letters pages were full of diatribes from her about her vegan lifestyle and whatnot. When Mike G. and Jeff Wagner took over circa '97 it was REALLY good for a while. Wagner really turned that mag around. I still like Maniacs a lot but it's just not the same anymore.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Metal Magazines   Favorite Metal Magazines - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2007 9:33 am

ghost wrote:
I use the internet and occasionally I buy Metal Hammer or Rock Hard. In the 80s I was reading every issue of Metal Hammer, still remember the first one with Rob Halford on the cover page.

I discovered Metal Hammer when I went to Germany as an exchange student for a month in the Summer of 1987. I brought a few issues home with me even though I could barely understand a word of it (my high school German wasn't that great). I was even more thrilled when I discovered the British version starting to show up in record stores around that time. MH was a GREAT mag back then, as was Metal Forces. Between those two mags, I didn't need to buy any American magazines for quite a few years, because they covered everything I wanted to know about!!
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Metal Magazines   Favorite Metal Magazines - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2007 2:24 pm

Bast Magazine rules!
Metal Maniacs is ok at times, and I like BWBK. Most stuff I get off the web though as mostly all I care about is news in the metal world.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Metal Magazines   Favorite Metal Magazines - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2007 12:20 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
STIGMATADOR wrote:

)+(

I met Liz C. at an Iced Earth show in Philly in 2002. She was very cool, when I introduced myself she even remembered my name cuz I'd had several letters printed in the "Maniacal Mail" section around that time. She's really short too!

The mag really started to slide downhill towards the end of Katherine Ludwig's tenure in the mid-90s IMHO. You could tell by that time that she was losing interest in metal, they were covering a lot of crap bands and the letters pages were full of diatribes from her about her vegan lifestyle and whatnot. When Mike G. and Jeff Wagner took over circa '97 it was REALLY good for a while. Wagner really turned that mag around. I still like Maniacs a lot but it's just not the same anymore.
stupid Ludwig & her silly band 'bans". baring Deicide & Cannibal Corpse, etc from any coverage.

then Mike Gs tenture & his wanting to push multiple genres in a metal magazine. jazz, hip hop, alternative, and so on. Wagner was the mags saving grace.

even still, with both past editors, the magazine seemed to carry more weight. now days, much of the coverage, polls, & reviews sound like they were bought & paid for by certain record companies.

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Metal Magazines   Favorite Metal Magazines - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2007 5:32 am

thrasher73 wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
I pretty much rely on the internet.

I'm with you on this Ult,the internet has done away with my magazine reading

So what in the world do you read in the bathroom?Smile
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Metal Magazines   Favorite Metal Magazines - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2007 6:21 am

Devereux64 wrote:
thrasher73 wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
I pretty much rely on the internet.

I'm with you on this Ult,the internet has done away with my magazine reading

So what in the world do you read in the bathroom?Smile

lol!
As much as I have learned to love the internet, I still can`t go to the bathroom without a Metal magazine!!!
The ones I subscribe to and buy are:
Scream Magazine
Monster Magazine
Classic Rock Magazine
Sweden Rock Magazine
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Metal Magazines   Favorite Metal Magazines - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2007 12:53 pm

Monster Magazine SUCKS!!!! They are trying to be contemporary and narrow at the same time. And most of their reviewers are totally music-nazis! Are they still also trying to be a metal/rock/games/movies magazine, all in ones?

Metal master
Metal master
bgast1

Number of posts : 710

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Metal Magazines   Favorite Metal Magazines - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2007 6:24 pm

Internet for me too. I considered picking up one of the Guitar magazines last week because it had the tab to a couple of songs that I would like to learn to play.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Metal Magazines   Favorite Metal Magazines - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2007 6:44 pm

Metal Maniacs.

BTW, I got the magazine in the mail today. You should have seen my mom's reaction to the cover (Marduk and Dimmu Borgir are the bands on the cover).
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Metal Magazines   Favorite Metal Magazines - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2007 6:51 pm

kmorg wrote:
Monster Magazine SUCKS!!!! They are trying to be contemporary and narrow at the same time. And most of their reviewers are totally music-nazis! Are they still also trying to be a metal/rock/games/movies magazine, all in ones?

I subscribed to it before I really knew it all that well, and yes you are
right it Kmorg it SUCKS big time.!!!sick
Luckily my subscription is out and I got my last one last week.
There are no games and movies anymore, but the writers still have that
totally mindless sense of humour, and their own kind of slang, they try so hard to sound cool, but it just looks ridiculous!!
Btw the guitarplayer in Sarpedon, Torgeir Krokfjord used to write for them, but he moved over to Scream. Good for him!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Metal Magazines   Favorite Metal Magazines - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2007 9:27 pm

I no longer buy metal magazines (used to get Hit Parader,Metal Edge, and Circus regularly) and just check the net. I do leaf through Metal Edge when we go tp the grocery store to kill time while the wife shops
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Metal Magazines   Favorite Metal Magazines - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2007 4:12 pm

undergrpound empire
temples of eternity
power metal(greece)
troubadicks
that's metal
steel conjouring
singing swords
white throne
snakepit (before switched to thrashpit)
midwest militia
etc
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Metal Magazines   Favorite Metal Magazines - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2007 6:09 pm

Metal Maniacs
Decibel
BW&BK
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Metal Magazines   Favorite Metal Magazines - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2007 10:42 pm

Internet.

Back in the day I would read Circus, RIP, Metal Edge, Hit Parader, Guitar World, Karrang, Guitar Player. I had a big ol stack I left behind at my parents house.
Back to top Go down
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Metal Magazines   Favorite Metal Magazines - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2007 6:08 am

http://www.rockplanet.sk/

&

http://www.spark-rockmagazine.cz/
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Metal Magazines   Favorite Metal Magazines - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Favorite Metal Magazines
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2