Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ads in Old Metal Magazines

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

Ads in Old Metal Magazines Empty
PostSubject: Ads in Old Metal Magazines   Ads in Old Metal Magazines Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 1:00 pm

Does anyone remember the ads for a metal distro (maybe METAL DISC) from old metal magazine such as RIP? It was usually a full page ad with a ton of titles. If someone remembers does anyone have one they could scan??
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Ads in Old Metal Magazines   Ads in Old Metal Magazines Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 1:08 pm

I might... let me look thru the archives when I get home tonght and see what I can dig up...

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Ads in Old Metal Magazines   Ads in Old Metal Magazines Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 1:15 pm

I do remember those. Sorry, can't scan one though.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

PostSubject: Re: Ads in Old Metal Magazines   Ads in Old Metal Magazines Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 1:16 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
I do remember those. Sorry, can't scan one though.

Do you remember the company name?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Ads in Old Metal Magazines   Ads in Old Metal Magazines Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 1:25 pm

Quote :
Do you remember the company name?

I'm not T.O.B. but ...

off the top of my head, I remember RAM Music, Jart Music (or maybe it was J.A.R.T.) and Wildside Imports distros regularly ran ads like you're describing (i.e. a full page with a big list of titles) ... I used to order from Wildside every once in a while. The name "Metal Disc" rings a bell too.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

PostSubject: Re: Ads in Old Metal Magazines   Ads in Old Metal Magazines Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 1:30 pm

If you get a chance, any of those would be groovy.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Ads in Old Metal Magazines   Ads in Old Metal Magazines Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 1:42 pm

Sure, I'll see what I can find.

Although I gotta tell ya, if you're thinking of placing an order with some of these long-ago companies, you are probably out of luck. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

PostSubject: Re: Ads in Old Metal Magazines   Ads in Old Metal Magazines Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 1:45 pm

Nahh...I just like to stroll down memory lane and see all I missed. Smile
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Ads in Old Metal Magazines   Ads in Old Metal Magazines Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 1:54 pm

I remember seeing an ad for this company: http://www.metaldisc.com

They are still in business.

I thought I had finally "made it" when I went from ordering stuff from them to seeing my album in their catalog. Smile
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Ads in Old Metal Magazines   Ads in Old Metal Magazines Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 2:06 pm

I remember them but I thought they only sold bootleg CD's and VHS tapes, never ordered from them but was tempted to many,many times
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Ads in Old Metal Magazines   Ads in Old Metal Magazines Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 2:13 pm

Oh yeah, there were numerous ads in those mags for "RARE IMPORTED CONCERT VIDEOS" back in the day too. Of course, "RARE" and "IMPORTED" were code words for "BOOTLEG," haha.

I paid $25 to one of those dealers for a VHS of a W.A.S.P. show I'd been to in Asbury Park, NJ in '92. I knew it was gonna be a boot but I wanted it anyway, just to have as a souvenir of the gig. Unfortunately it looked and sounded like absolute crap, so I watched it once and never bothered with it, or those video dealers, again.

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Ads in Old Metal Magazines   Ads in Old Metal Magazines Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 2:30 pm

I remember I went to a Record/CD convention in the early 90's and there was a guy selling bootleg VHS concerts, I got excited for the guy had a gig from Black Sabbath that had Glenn Hughes on vocals. It actually was the gig but it sounded like crap and the band looked like little green aliens.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

PostSubject: Re: Ads in Old Metal Magazines   Ads in Old Metal Magazines Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 2:33 pm

Well good thing the internet doesn't have those awful bootleggers. Wink

http://www.heavymetalweb.net/shop_tienda/store_files/index.php

This isn't me, BTW. Smile
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Ads in Old Metal Magazines   Ads in Old Metal Magazines Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 2:34 pm

Yeah, when you bought/ordered those bootleg concert videos, you really were taking a chance. Some are really for "diehards" only.

I used to go to those record/CD conventions all the time and some dealers would actually have a little TV with a VCR set up so you could "sample" the videos, that was a cool idea. I got some decent KISS compilations and a semi-decent tape of an Overkill show I was at from those guys.

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Ads in Old Metal Magazines   Ads in Old Metal Magazines Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 2:40 pm

I still every once in awhile buy bootleg concert DVD's, but like the FF said it was crapshoot, I have been lucky so far, everything I have purchased in the last few years has been very good quality.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ads in Old Metal Magazines   Ads in Old Metal Magazines Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ads in Old Metal Magazines
Page 1 of 1