Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Metal Magazines

Go down 
+20
manny
corplhicks
Sword Of The Heretic
bgsully
Getizzyback
Red Kitty
DakotaRogers
ultmetal
ze_mau
Short-Fuse
jstate
thejokeriv
Fat Freddy
Temple of Blood
Leatherface
mikeinfla
mc666
Witchfinder
Hadley
24 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

Metal Magazines Empty
PostSubject: Metal Magazines   Metal Magazines Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 12:12 am

When it comes to heavy metal magazines, which ones do you read or did read? I didnt start buying metal magazines until 1996 (showing how young i am) but i bought Metal Edge and Metal Maniacs on a regular basis until around 98-99 (when i started using the net for my music news). I also bought the occasional issue of Hit Parader, but that magazine was pretty much fluff, and while they werent metal magazines, i checked out the music magazines my high school library carried, which were Rolling Stone (on a side note, when i went to College, they had a near complete run of 70s RS, i spent many an afternoon looking through those), Billboard, and Guitar World (i dont play guitar, but it was still an interesting read, even if i didnt know what they were talking about half the time).
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

Metal Magazines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Magazines   Metal Magazines Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 12:17 am

Back in the day I read: Metal Edge, Hit Parader, Creem, and Rip. During the 90s it was Metal Maniacs and Bravewords & Bloody Knuckles. Nowadays it's Iron Fist, Chromium Dioxide and Snakepit.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Metal Magazines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Magazines   Metal Magazines Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 1:09 am

Used to read Metal Forces, Metal Maniacs, Metal Edge, Livewire, Hit Parader, Explicitly Intense, Circus, Kerrang, RIP, HM, Heavens Metal, Seconds, Blender, Rolling Stone, & many zines like Slayer, Satan's Candy Basket, Sentenial Steel, Pure Rebellion, & The Grimoire of Exalted Deeds.

Still read Metal Hammer, Brave Words & Bloody Knuckles, Revolver, Decible, & Terrorizer.

mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

Metal Magazines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Magazines   Metal Magazines Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 6:25 am

Hit Parader and Creem but before metal was big in the 80's they also covered Styx, Journey, Skynyrd and more nonmetal bands. I probably stopped reading those before 1990.
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

Metal Magazines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Magazines   Metal Magazines Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 6:28 am

I use to read Metal Maniacs, RIP, Power Metal, Hit Parader, Metal Mania and Cream's Thrash Metal back in the day.  Not reading any at the moment.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Metal Magazines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Magazines   Metal Magazines Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 6:44 am

Snakepit!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

Metal Magazines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Magazines   Metal Magazines Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 8:13 am

I haven't read metal mags with any regularity since Maniacs went belly up several years back. They were the last one standing for me.

Back in the day, at one time or another I read Circus, RIP, Metal Hammer UK, Metal Forces, Metal Edge and whatever else I could get my hands on. I had quite a collection at one time, unfortunately I stupidly chose to chuck'em when I moved into my first apartment in 1997 due to space constraints.

The most recent music-related mag I bought was a few months ago when KISS had the cover story in Rolling Stone.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

Metal Magazines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Magazines   Metal Magazines Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 8:26 am

Nothing recently, but back in the day Circus, Hit Parader, Kerrang! Rip, Metal Edge, Cream, Etc, Etc....
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40560

Metal Magazines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Magazines   Metal Magazines Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 8:31 am

Metal Edge and Hit Parader mostly. Once the 90s rolled around I stopped buying them.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

Metal Magazines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Magazines   Metal Magazines Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 8:39 am

Quote :
Rolling Stone (on a side note, when i went to College, they had a near complete run of 70s RS, i spent many an afternoon looking through those), Billboard, and Guitar World (i dont play guitar, but it was still an interesting read, even if i didnt know what they were talking about half the time).

Rolling Stone put out a cd-rom thing a few years back with every issue in it's history.  It's a fun thing to go through.  What was interesting to me was despite being pretty negative toward metal in the 80's the reviews of metal albums were actually very positive.  Even stranger it was Kurt Loder of all people bringing the love.  

Me too on Guitar World.  There was always great writing in that mag.

I loved Billboard.  It was very expensive but always well worth it.  Radio in those days fascinated me.  Plus they had great little reviews of things that were coming out.  Vital stuff in those pre-internet days.

I also loved Spin.  Before they went all in on the alternative rock craze it was a hell of a magazine for someone that was into all sorts of music.

There was also a local free monthly called Roxx that was a great read.  I was never more in line with a reviewer's opinion than I was with the dude who wrote their reviews.  Never failed that if he loved it, I would too.

Sadly I ended up storing two large boxes of my magazines in my parents' basement after college.  A flood destroyed them all.  Still hurts.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Metal Magazines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Magazines   Metal Magazines Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 9:40 am

Quote :
Sadly I ended up storing two large boxes of my magazines in my parents' basement after college. A flood destroyed them all. Still hurts.

Same thing happened to a large chunk of my VHS movie collection in the late 90s.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Short-Fuse
Metal student
Metal student
Short-Fuse

Number of posts : 195

Metal Magazines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Magazines   Metal Magazines Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 9:45 am

I have about 10 issues of Creem's Thrash Metal which are going for a pretty penny these days. I also enjoyed Hit Parader's POWER METAL (only lasted a few issues though), RIP and Metal Mania. I haven't seen a Terrorizer or BW & BK in quite a while. Decibel was pretty well done too.
Back to top Go down
ze_mau
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ze_mau

Number of posts : 280

Metal Magazines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Magazines   Metal Magazines Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 11:08 am

I used to love "Rock Brigade" and others like "Roadiecrew" but then it came the internet and I taught I didn´t need any magazines anymore.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Metal Magazines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Magazines   Metal Magazines Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 11:25 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
Snakepit!

Great magazine! I love the insane 3 columns in 6 point type. Every issue is like a book and it takes me a couple of weeks to get through everything.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Metal Magazines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Magazines   Metal Magazines Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 11:35 am

Witchfinder wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
Snakepit!

Great magazine!  I love the insane 3 columns in 6 point type.  Every issue is like a book and it takes me a couple of weeks to get through everything.  

Absolutely. I go back and re-read them from time to time. I am still trying to collect them all but they are very hard to get. I assume they have no plans to continue.

I also loved Metal Forces. That had a lot of great coverage of the types of metal bands that I like but the interviews weren't as thorough and interesting as Snakepit.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Metal Magazines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Magazines   Metal Magazines Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 11:42 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
Snakepit!

Great magazine!  I love the insane 3 columns in 6 point type.  Every issue is like a book and it takes me a couple of weeks to get through everything.  

Absolutely.  I go back and re-read them from time to time.  I am still trying to collect them all but they are very hard to get.  I assume they have no plans to continue.

I also loved Metal Forces.  That had a lot of great coverage of the types of metal bands that I like but the interviews weren't as thorough and interesting as Snakepit.

I'd like to be able to have the complete run of Snakepit too. At least issues #1 and #2 were reprinted by Shadow Kingdom. I think they are doing #3 and #4 at some point.

You probably already know this, but Metal Forces has a website with a lot of old reviews from the print magazine:

http://www.metalforcesmagazine.com/site/
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Metal Magazines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Magazines   Metal Magazines Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 12:29 pm

Back in the day I liked Creem & Circus Magazines, then as the 80's rolled around it was Hit Parader and RIP. After that it was Metal Maniacs, Metal Edge, White Throne, Heaven's Metal, and a variety of underground zines.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Metal Magazines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Magazines   Metal Magazines Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 12:31 pm

Quote :
Creem

I always wanted one of their "Boy Howdy!" t-shirts.

Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

Number of posts : 920

Metal Magazines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Magazines   Metal Magazines Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 2:17 pm

Hit Parader, just so I could read about how "awesome" Skipknot is on EVERY page.
Back to top Go down
Red Kitty
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Red Kitty

Number of posts : 1006

Metal Magazines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Magazines   Metal Magazines Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 3:26 pm

Back (early to mid 80's) in the day:

Kerrang!
Metal Forces
Circus
Hit Parader
Back to top Go down
Getizzyback
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Getizzyback

Number of posts : 428

Metal Magazines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Magazines   Metal Magazines Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 3:37 pm

Back in the 80s I bought Hit Parader and Circus (all I could find in south FL)

I used to enjoy the cheesy mail section in Hit Parader. The letters basically did nothing but either Praise a group or trash the heck out of another.....I will always remember one letter about Krokus.
(I didn't like or dislike them at all, just funny how it was said) It read something like this: "Now I know why the guys in Krokus call themselves Krokus, because when we hear their music they croak us".....lol.....I miss those days.....
Back to top Go down
bgsully
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

Metal Magazines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Magazines   Metal Magazines Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 5:21 pm

Metal Maniacs and Heaven's Metal
Back to top Go down
Sword Of The Heretic
Metal master
Metal master
Sword Of The Heretic

Number of posts : 605

Metal Magazines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Magazines   Metal Magazines Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 5:35 pm

Getizzyback wrote:
Back in the 80s I bought Hit Parader and Circus (all I could find in south FL)

I used to enjoy the cheesy mail section in Hit Parader. The letters basically did nothing but either Praise a group or trash the heck out of another.....I will always remember one letter about Krokus.
(I didn't like or dislike them at all, just funny how it was said) It read something like this: "Now I know why the guys in Krokus call themselves Krokus, because when we hear their music they croak us".....lol.....I miss those days.....

I remember an issue back in 1987, where some old timer was bitching about "today's kids", (meaning "people like me") always listening to those "candy ass bands like Poison, Motley Crue and Ratt" while trying to tell us how awesome bands like Yes and Triumph were.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Metal Magazines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Magazines   Metal Magazines Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2014 12:09 pm

Let's not leave out the guitar mags. Guitar Player, Guitar One, Guitar, more that I can't remember. I had stacks of those laying around.

I remember sneaking a buy of Metal Edge when I was 15 during a youth group event. One of the moms busted me and suggested to my mom that I come forward to the assembly and announce my sin. No joke. That was my favorite mag though.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Metal Magazines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Magazines   Metal Magazines Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2014 2:08 pm

Back in the day, the ususal mags: Hit Parader, Circus, Metal Edge, Creem Metal, RIP, Faces, Guitar World, Guitar for the Practicing Musician aand Kerrange

Used to have ten and more years worth of these mags, but one day just got rid of all them.

Never heard of Snakepit magazine
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Metal Magazines Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Magazines   Metal Magazines Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Metal Magazines
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next