Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

So help me God, I'm off CDs for a year!!!

Go down 
+17
skullsmasher
EvyMetal
Hamer12
nevermore
thejokeriv
jstate
Fat Freddy
Metal Misfit
MetalGuy71
Thrasher73
tohostudios
manny
mc666
Troublezone
SideShowDisaSter
SAHB Healer
scottmitchell74
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

So help me God, I'm off CDs for a year!!! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: So help me God, I'm off CDs for a year!!!   So help me God, I'm off CDs for a year!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 3:13 pm

Good luck with your idea, SM74... but as we all know CD collecting is like being in the Mafia... every time you think you're out, THEY PULL YOU BACK IN!!!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: So help me God, I'm off CDs for a year!!!   So help me God, I'm off CDs for a year!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 3:13 pm

I'm still a kid, I buy whatever I want, as long as I put some money aside in the bank, I'm fine.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So help me God, I'm off CDs for a year!!!   So help me God, I'm off CDs for a year!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 3:17 pm

manny wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
I couldn't imagine. So far, I've acquired 1,080 CDs this year, and I've likely not added a few to the list. By the end of the year, I'm sure I'll push it over 1,100. I could never buy just 24. No way.

Hloy crap, when do you time to listen to so many CD's, not to mention to ones you already own? I have 3,000 CDS and I thought I had decent collection. I am sure your CD collection has to be twice that amount.
I've traded a lot, too, so even though I've acquired a lot over the past two years, my number of CDs hasn't changed all that much. In fact, I'm under 6,000 now. Before lala and those kinds of sites, I was over 6,000.

As for listening to them, I listen to music all day long. Some I haven't listened to in a while due to my living situation, but with the external drive, that's all changing now. The best I can do at this point is create a huge playlist and hit shuffle, else I will inevitably overlook/forget certain albums.
Back to top Go down
skullsmasher
Metal master
Metal master
skullsmasher

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: So help me God, I'm off CDs for a year!!!   So help me God, I'm off CDs for a year!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 4:49 pm

I really only buy the few that come out that I am really looking forward to. I can't drop the cash on an unheard of band anymore. I pretty much only buy 5 - 15 cds per year anymore. There was a time though when I would spend whole paychecks on music
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: So help me God, I'm off CDs for a year!!!   So help me God, I'm off CDs for a year!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2009 3:29 pm

Three months in! 25% of the way there, and so far so good.

The first few weeks were hard because I was so used to the constant habit of buying and then the anticipation of the CD coming in the mail and the thrill when it did. However, I've settled into a nice groove of compiling my list.

If I happen to make a concert of find something that's just insanely cheap, then I'll jump. I'm at the point where I think a one time purchase won't fire me up.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So help me God, I'm off CDs for a year!!!   So help me God, I'm off CDs for a year!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2009 4:43 pm

Are you downloading at all?

I'm seriously contemplating cutting myself off from CD buying. It's so pathological, you know. It's not that I can't listen to the music I buy; it's that I can't find the necessary time to hit up the used shops that my brain is demanding I hit up. Haha.

I still think a group of us sharing an FTP server would be sweet.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: So help me God, I'm off CDs for a year!!!   So help me God, I'm off CDs for a year!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2009 6:22 pm

Quote :

Never. I want the whole package.

Eyesore, after a while the maniacal rush to acquire subsided. Maybe it will for you, too? Now I'm approaching it methodically. I'm making my list and on one glorious day come December I'll have a day to myself when I buy every chosen CD that day.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: So help me God, I'm off CDs for a year!!!   So help me God, I'm off CDs for a year!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2009 6:37 pm

I guess your doing pretty good then so far. I dont think I could do it. Even though lately I have been trying to just not even go near a music store or even look on ebay or amazon. Its been tough especially knowing that this music store I recently started going back to has everything marked down to 9.99 and he says he will be closing the store eventually. Every other week I go down there to see what I can get and a couple times things I have wanted were taken already but theres still plenty of things left I just dont want to spend all the money in one shot.

Im trying to get my gf to get me some stuff but shes like you got enough cds blah blah blah.

I was wondering though. If you get to December without buying anything and the day comes when you start making your purchases will you sit and think first that if you had the will power to save the money and not buy anything then do I really want any cds?

Does that make any sense? haha

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: So help me God, I'm off CDs for a year!!!   So help me God, I'm off CDs for a year!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2009 7:14 pm

Eyesore wrote:

I'm seriously contemplating cutting myself off from CD buying. It's so pathological, you know. It's not that I can't listen to the music I buy; it's that I can't find the necessary time to hit up the used shops that my brain is demanding I hit up. Haha.

i agree on the ftp.

I also think that the most of the time the anticipation of a cd is better than the cd itself. I have found lately that listening to the music doesnt live up to the getting of the music. so far this year I have obtained 82 cds. now I havent bought all of them but I think scott may be on to something.. I need to find another hobby...

Alex

manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: So help me God, I'm off CDs for a year!!!   So help me God, I'm off CDs for a year!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2009 8:12 pm

I love buying music and collecting CD's and DVD concerts and I have slowed down but that is due more to finances than any sort of willpower.

I do I have list that I have tried sticking close to, but I have already strayed off my list many many times if I something extremely cheap. But to me its still fun to build my collection especially if I concentrate in buying one artist band or discography.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So help me God, I'm off CDs for a year!!!   So help me God, I'm off CDs for a year!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2009 8:14 pm

My ongoing financial crisis has kept me from doing any collecting for a long time now. I don't really miss it anymore...the older I get the less material possessions mean to me.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: So help me God, I'm off CDs for a year!!!   So help me God, I'm off CDs for a year!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2009 10:19 pm

Quote :
I was wondering though. If you get to December without buying anything and the day comes when you start making your purchases will you sit and think first that if you had the will power to save the money and not buy anything then do I really want any cds?

Oh, no. That day will be a great cd buying day! Trust me, I still want cds, I'm just trying to not let my collection get too unweildy and also to not rely too much on that high of getting cds in the mail all the time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So help me God, I'm off CDs for a year!!!   So help me God, I'm off CDs for a year!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2009 10:38 pm

exact33 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

i agree on the ftp.

I also think that the most of the time the anticipation of a cd is better than the cd itself. I have found lately that listening to the music doesnt live up to the getting of the music. so far this year I have obtained 82 cds. now I havent bought all of them but I think scott may be on to something.. I need to find another hobby...

Alex
I'm over 200. Haha.

It's a pathological disorder, man. All collecting is. Who needs a thousand Beanie Babies, or boxes full of stamps or baseball cards or CDs? Crazy people, that's who. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: So help me God, I'm off CDs for a year!!!   So help me God, I'm off CDs for a year!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 5:22 am

I miss buying CDs. I'm making $7.50/hr 25-30 hours a week, so as you can imagine there is NO extra money for me.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: So help me God, I'm off CDs for a year!!!   So help me God, I'm off CDs for a year!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 7:57 am

Eyesore wrote:
exact33 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

i agree on the ftp.

Alex
I'm over 200. Haha.

It's a pathological disorder, man. All collecting is. Who needs a thousand Beanie Babies, or boxes full of stamps or baseball cards or CDs? Crazy people, that's who. Laughing

it is a disorder. the problem is I hang out with other addicts Smile

at least I still listen to the music. when I get to the day where I am just getting the stuff just to get stuff its time to quit. It is quite the thrill to make a list, check it twice and go get the stuff off the list. I am in the throes of restoring my stones collection. It is addicting but it is fun to have a complete studio album set Smile

Alex

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: So help me God, I'm off CDs for a year!!!   So help me God, I'm off CDs for a year!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 8:26 am

I'm doing pretty well with my self-control. I've only gotten 25 CDs so far this year.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: So help me God, I'm off CDs for a year!!!   So help me God, I'm off CDs for a year!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 8:28 am

I am with Alex the day I buy a CD just for sake of buying a CD I will stop. I also think that 99% of on this board listen to everything we buy, we are music loves and collectors, which as Eyesore pointed out, it is mild sort of madness.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: So help me God, I'm off CDs for a year!!!   So help me God, I'm off CDs for a year!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 9:00 am

Quote :

exact(ly!) lol!

It's true, coming to the CMR and then the H.O.M. is what turned me from a 5-15 cd a year guy into a 100-125 a year guy! I never new 10% of the stuff that existed in the World until I came around here. I began desperately trying to catch up on all the stuff I'd been missing. It's addicting!!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: So help me God, I'm off CDs for a year!!!   So help me God, I'm off CDs for a year!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 9:06 am

I'm trying to remember if I've actually bought any CDs thus far this year, and I don't think I have. I've gotten some new stuff by doing trades but haven't actually bought anything.

Wow, this economy frickin' bites.

*EDIT* now that I think about it, my copies of the Deliverance S/T and WEAPONS reissues arrived in the mail a day or two after New Years', though I actually ordered them during the last week of 2008... so I guess that sorta kinda counts...

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: So help me God, I'm off CDs for a year!!!   So help me God, I'm off CDs for a year!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 9:13 am

I've acquired 29 CDs so far but 4 were via trades so I've only bought 25. I might actually end up only buying about 100 this year which is less than half what I bought last year.

The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: So help me God, I'm off CDs for a year!!!   So help me God, I'm off CDs for a year!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 8:28 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Quote :

exact(ly!) lol!

It's true, coming to the CMR and then the H.O.M. is what turned me from a 5-15 cd a year guy into a 100-125 a year guy! I never new 10% of the stuff that existed in the World until I came around here. I began desperately trying to catch up on all the stuff I'd been missing. It's addicting!!

haha scott!!! You too are part of the problem!!

I need to go become a member of the Heart of Knitting board or something like that...

Alex

jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: So help me God, I'm off CDs for a year!!!   So help me God, I'm off CDs for a year!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 8:38 pm

I've actually gone into survivalist mode in my CD buying feeling that if the deal is right I better strike now. It also seems to be a great time to be picking stuff up for very cheap - especially used. That is what keeps me buying for now - the price and the fear of the death of CD buying options. And as long as I stay within my budget then I consider that a victory.

Good for you Scott. Those CDs in December will no doubt be treasured.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: So help me God, I'm off CDs for a year!!!   So help me God, I'm off CDs for a year!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 8:42 pm

Quote :
I need to go become a member of the Heart of Knitting board or something like that...

So true. I actually find myself avoiding threads on here for fear of what bands/albums I'll then need to search out. Pretty much anything "underrated" or "forgotten" titled I try to ignore these days.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: So help me God, I'm off CDs for a year!!!   So help me God, I'm off CDs for a year!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 8:48 pm

jstate wrote:
Quote :

So true. I actually find myself avoiding threads on here for fear of what bands/albums I'll then need to search out. Pretty much anything "underrated" or "forgotten" titled I try to ignore these days.

So THAT'S where I'm making my mistake here!

I also need to avoid any threads Rattpoison or Shiney post in.

The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: So help me God, I'm off CDs for a year!!!   So help me God, I'm off CDs for a year!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 8:57 pm

tohostudios wrote:
jstate wrote:
Quote :

So THAT'S where I'm making my mistake here!

I also need to avoid any threads Rattpoison or Shiney post in.

If I did that I would only be able to reply to my own posts!!!! I blame scottmitchell... and eyesore... and tohostudios.. and saxon... and ult.. and kmorg... and deathcult... and jstate... and shiney.. and spectre... and PRD... and steelwarrior... and wargod...

Alex

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So help me God, I'm off CDs for a year!!!   So help me God, I'm off CDs for a year!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

So help me God, I'm off CDs for a year!!!
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next