Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ozzy '82 with Brad Gillis

Go down 
+13
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
assault_attack
journeyman
James B.
candlemass
thejokeriv
manny
stepcousin
akeldama
metalken
MetalRob331
Troublezone
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Ozzy '82 with Brad Gillis - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ozzy '82 with Brad Gillis   Ozzy '82 with Brad Gillis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 10:02 am

Randy was planning on leaving Ozzy after the live CD. He was very unhappy with having to record a live album with all Black Sabbath songs, but Ozzy's management at the time insisted on it. I can't remember all the details, but it was also recorded to get Ozzy out of him deal with his current management (Sharron's father) and give control to Sharron. Weird situation.

I read about the whole ordeal in the Randy Rhoads biography, which was an incredibly interesting read. Gave me a whole new respect for him as a person and for Quiet Riot as well.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy '82 with Brad Gillis   Ozzy '82 with Brad Gillis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 10:05 am

I still have my old 2-LP vinyl version of SPEAK OF THE DEVIL, for some reason I never have gotten around to upgrading it to CD. I really ought to do that one of these days, it's an excellent performance.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
zombiewalkin
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
zombiewalkin

Number of posts : 292

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy '82 with Brad Gillis   Ozzy '82 with Brad Gillis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 12:02 pm

I love the Speak of the Devil album. Gillis did a great job on that one!
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy '82 with Brad Gillis   Ozzy '82 with Brad Gillis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 12:10 pm

I didn't know there was a Randy Rhoads biography had been published, sounds interesting who wrote and what is the title ULT?
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy '82 with Brad Gillis   Ozzy '82 with Brad Gillis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 12:16 pm

manny wrote:
I didn't know there was a Randy Rhoads biography had been published, sounds interesting who wrote and what is the title ULT?

Can't remember the title or even the author right now. I'll try to remember to post that info when I get home later.

ult

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy '82 with Brad Gillis   Ozzy '82 with Brad Gillis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 12:29 pm

Ok thanks ULT, I can't always remember titles either, I always to refer to my bookshelf or CD shelf to recall names of certain books and song titles.
Back to top Go down
assault_attack
Metal master
Metal master
assault_attack

Number of posts : 689

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy '82 with Brad Gillis   Ozzy '82 with Brad Gillis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 3:52 pm

Also I think SPEAK OF THE DEVIL was rushed out to beat the Sabbath live Evil release. Somebody know more about that?
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy '82 with Brad Gillis   Ozzy '82 with Brad Gillis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 5:13 pm

For an old NR fan, that was really cool to see. I am also glad that the Ozzman wears a shirt in concert nowadays. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy '82 with Brad Gillis   Ozzy '82 with Brad Gillis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 5:38 pm

the sentinel wrote:
For an old NR fan, that was really cool to see. I am also glad that the Ozzman wears a shirt in concert nowadays. Very Happy

What? You don't like topless old men?
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Sons-Of-Vengeance
Metal novice
Metal novice
Sons-Of-Vengeance

Number of posts : 30

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy '82 with Brad Gillis   Ozzy '82 with Brad Gillis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 5:59 pm

Quote :

There are a few good Randy reads, one of them being called Randy Rhoads: A life written by David Bene. I got a hard back copy a while back from the Roxx Promotions website. Went back a few months later to pick one up as a gift and they were sold out. Nowadays the paper back version fetches a mighty dollar similar to the Layne Staley bio called Angry Chair. Copies of both go for over a hundred bucks when you find them. Another good Randy read is the Sarzo penned Off The Rails which you can still find pretty cheap.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy '82 with Brad Gillis   Ozzy '82 with Brad Gillis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 7:29 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
the sentinel wrote:

What? You don't like topless old men?

Not as much as spectrefate does!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy '82 with Brad Gillis   Ozzy '82 with Brad Gillis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 7:31 pm

the sentinel wrote:

Not as much as spectrefate does!!! Very Happy

Must you reveal everything I tell you in confidence? Smile
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy '82 with Brad Gillis   Ozzy '82 with Brad Gillis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 10, 2008 12:18 am

manny wrote:
As far as the live album " Speak of the Devil", the version of the album that was originally to be released was with Randy Rhoads, due to his death Ozzy scrapped it in respect to Randy's memory and not seem to exploit Randy's death. The show at New York was recorded and rushed released instead.

So why put out a live album? You are Ozzy with two solo albums that are taking off and you put a live album of Black Sabbath songs. Why? I remember when the album came out and everyone I talked to couldn't understand why a live album of Black Sabbath songs with the guitarist of Nigh Ranger. Especially strange given the relationship between Ozzy and Black Sabbath at the time. Why wouldn't Ozzy just play his songs with Brad if he didn't want to release the recordings of Randy. Funny thing was Black Sabbath released Live Evil right around the same time and that was a kick butt album. Wore the grooves out of that recording.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy '82 with Brad Gillis   Ozzy '82 with Brad Gillis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 10, 2008 6:50 am

Quote :
So why put out a live album? You are Ozzy with
two solo albums that are taking off and you put a live album of Black
Sabbath songs. Why?

Somebody mentioned it earlier in the thread and I believe it's true. Speak of the Devil was supposed to be Ozzy's "answer" to Live Evil.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy '82 with Brad Gillis   Ozzy '82 with Brad Gillis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 10, 2008 8:20 am

journeyman wrote:
manny wrote:
As far as the live album " Speak of the Devil", the version of the album that was originally to be released was with Randy Rhoads, due to his death Ozzy scrapped it in respect to Randy's memory and not seem to exploit Randy's death. The show at New York was recorded and rushed released instead.

So why put out a live album? You are Ozzy with two solo albums that are taking off and you put a live album of Black Sabbath songs. Why? I remember when the album came out and everyone I talked to couldn't understand why a live album of Black Sabbath songs with the guitarist of Nigh Ranger. Especially strange given the relationship between Ozzy and Black Sabbath at the time. Why wouldn't Ozzy just play his songs with Brad if he didn't want to release the recordings of Randy. Funny thing was Black Sabbath released Live Evil right around the same time and that was a kick butt album. Wore the grooves out of that recording.

I am just guessing, but I think his Jet contracted obliged him to release a live album at that point in time, as why they are all Black Sabbath songs I don't know, but my guess is that like others on this thread speculated, it was Ozzy's answer to Black Sabbath's "Live Evil"
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy '82 with Brad Gillis   Ozzy '82 with Brad Gillis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 10, 2008 8:35 am

journeyman wrote:
manny wrote:

I think I already answered this above. I need to break out the Randy Rhoads biography. It explains the reason for the live album of all Sabbath numbers. It also explains that Randy Rhoads was frustrated over this decision and didn't want to record an album of Black Sabbath songs. It was a decision of Don Arden, Ozzy's former manager, and father of Sharon Osbourne. If I remember correctly it was to fulfill his contractual obligations to Arden so that Sharon could take over managing Ozzy.

The live album was also a slap in the face to the other musicians in what was suppose to be called the "Blizzard of Ozz". The band was never meant to be called Ozzy Osbourne, but much to the frustration of drummer Lee Kerslake ( Uriah Heep), bassist/lyricist Bob Daisley (Rainbow/Uriah Heep), and guitarist Randy Rhoads (Quiet Riot) they became background musicians for a solo project. Again, it was Arden who decided to call the band Ozzy Osbourne and title the first record "Blizzard of Ozz". The band members found out about the name change when the records hit the shelf in Europe.

Ozzy didn't even have much of a hand in writing any of those first two "solo" albums. The music was written by Bob and Randy, while the lyrics were mostly penned by Daisley. Years later Daisly and Kerslake would sue Ozzy over royalties. In response Sharron had all their tracks erased from the original recordings and had drummer Mike Bordin and bassist Robert Trujillo re-record the tracks.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy '82 with Brad Gillis   Ozzy '82 with Brad Gillis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 10, 2008 8:51 am

Wow!!! I did not know that I always figured that it was meant to be a solo project, I have read interviews where Bob Daisley said Ozzy didnot contribute to the album, but I always figured that was a case of sour grapes. I also remember Kevin Dubrow claim some of the musicial ideas on those two solo albums originated when Randy Rhoads was in Quiet Riot.

On the other hand Ozzy claims he had a hand on writing the lyrics and melodies. I know in Black Sabbath, Iommi and Butler wrote all of the music and huge percentage of the lyrics.

I hate the fact that Ozzy had Daisley and kerslake's tracks erased, he should have been happy he won the lawsuit and leave the original recording untouched.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy '82 with Brad Gillis   Ozzy '82 with Brad Gillis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 10, 2008 8:54 am

On the Bark at the Moon album, Ozzy is the sole credited songwriter. I guarantee he didn't write that whole album or any other album by himself. But I suppose Jake E. was paid a salary and I'd bet his contract stated something about not getting songwriting credit.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy '82 with Brad Gillis   Ozzy '82 with Brad Gillis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 10, 2008 8:59 am

I never understood that, on Bark at the Moon, neither Jake E Lee or Bob Daisley get any songwriting credit, where on the follow up The Ultimate Sin suddenly Jake E Lee is than credited as being a co writer.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy '82 with Brad Gillis   Ozzy '82 with Brad Gillis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 10, 2008 9:03 am

manny wrote:
Wow!!! I did not know that I always figured that it was meant to be a solo project, I have read interviews where Bob Daisley said Ozzy didnot contribute to the album, but I always figured that was a case of sour grapes. I also remember Kevin Dubrow claim some of the musicial ideas on those two solo albums originated when Randy Rhoads was in Quiet Riot.

On the other hand Ozzy claims he had a hand on writing the lyrics and melodies. I know in Black Sabbath, Iommi and Butler wrote all of the music and huge percentage of the lyrics.

I hate the fact that Ozzy had Daisley and kerslake's tracks erased, he should have been happy he won the lawsuit and leave the original recording untouched.

According to the Rhoads biography, and what I have read from Daisley's writings over the years, Ozzy was constantly passed out on a couch when he and Randy were working on songs. History seems to validate this as Ozzy was indeed deep into alcoholism during this period of his life. Ozzy himself has admitted as much. Daisly actually penned the lyrics to "Suicide Solution" about Ozzy, who was slowly killing himself with alcohol at the time. Reading the lyrics, it becomes painfully obvious that this was the case. Ozzy has claimed he wrote the lyrics and that they were about Bon Scott's death.

Several songs on the first two Ozzy albums had Quiet Riot riffs on them. The main riff to "Suicide Solution" was taken from one of Randy's early Quiet Riot numbers titled "Force of Habit". Portions of "Goodbye to Romance" came from the Quiet Riot numbers "Teenage Anthem" and "Laughing Gas".

Ohhhhhh, and the book is called Randy Rhoads-A Life by David Bene.

Last edited by ultmetal on Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy '82 with Brad Gillis   Ozzy '82 with Brad Gillis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 10, 2008 9:05 am

ultmetal wrote:

...and its so moderately priced on Amazon.com. Smile

http://www.amazon.com/Randy-Rhoads-Life-David-Bene/dp/0979937108/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228917920&sr=8-1
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy '82 with Brad Gillis   Ozzy '82 with Brad Gillis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 10, 2008 9:08 am

spectrefate wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

...and its so moderately priced on Amazon.com. Smile

[url=http://www.amazon.com/Randy-Rhoads-Life-David-Bene/dp/0979937108/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228917920&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/Randy-Rhoads-Life-David-Bene/dp/0979937108/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228917920&sr=8-1[/quote[/url]]

Smart ass Smile
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy '82 with Brad Gillis   Ozzy '82 with Brad Gillis - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 10, 2008 9:12 am

Wow! I picked up my copy for a few bucks on www.roxxproductions.com

PostSubject: Re: Ozzy '82 with Brad Gillis   Ozzy '82 with Brad Gillis - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ozzy '82 with Brad Gillis
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2