Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

AC/DC - Harbingers of Financial Doom?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

AC/DC - Harbingers of Financial Doom? Empty
PostSubject: AC/DC - Harbingers of Financial Doom?   AC/DC - Harbingers of Financial Doom? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 1:16 pm

Obviously this piece is meant to be tongue in cheek (I'm not sure where it appeared, I pinched it off another message board)... sounds almost like something The Onion would've come up with. Laughing

AC/DC blamed for financial crisis

As the global financial crisis continues to make headlines around the world, talk is inevitably turning to who is to blame.

The usual suspects have been wheeled out — greedy investment bankers, greedy investors, greedy politicians and so on — but it seems a group of Aussie legends could be inadvertantly to blame.

According the UK Guardian's music critic, Alexis Petridis, Aussie rockers AC/DC's ascension to the top of the UK charts amid the current crisis may be no coincidence. Every time the iconic rockers have topped the charts, financial catastrophe has shortly followed, particularly in the UK.

Shortly after the band formed in Sydney in 1973, the world was hit by the global oil crisis, which saw prices quadruple. In 1980, meanwhile, as the UK struggled with inflation at 20 percent and unemployment hit 2 million, AC/DC released Back in Black.

As Australia was gripped by "the recession we had to have" in 1990 and interest rates soared towards 20 percent, AC/DC scored a remarkable comeback with The Razor's Edge.

Fast forward to 2008 as the world is gripped by the biggest financial crisis since the great depression and guess who's comback album is number one in the UK? That's right, AC/DC's Black Ice.

As the Guardian's Petridis said, the world economy may be in tatters and uncertainty may be the watchword, but one thing remains constant.

"Western capitalism might collapse but at least [Angus] Young can be relied on to perform a song about either rock and roll or testicles while wearing shorts, blazer and cap," he wrote.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: AC/DC - Harbingers of Financial Doom?   AC/DC - Harbingers of Financial Doom? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 12:43 am

im sure you could say that about other bands who released albums at the time. although they do say heavy metal sells well in recessions
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: AC/DC - Harbingers of Financial Doom?   AC/DC - Harbingers of Financial Doom? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 1:20 am

That's quite a story! Just proves AC/DC know when to make money. haha
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: AC/DC - Harbingers of Financial Doom?   AC/DC - Harbingers of Financial Doom? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 11:38 pm

lol! AC/DC - Harbingers of Financial Doom? 647664
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: AC/DC - Harbingers of Financial Doom?   AC/DC - Harbingers of Financial Doom? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 06, 2008 6:22 am

its been a good year for heavy rock sales wise i would say
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AC/DC - Harbingers of Financial Doom?   AC/DC - Harbingers of Financial Doom? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

AC/DC - Harbingers of Financial Doom?
Page 1 of 1