Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Jazz

Go down 
+8
Hamer12
Schbopo
QuothTheRaven
Addy
manny
tohostudios
stepcousin
XYZ
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

Jazz Empty
PostSubject: Jazz   Jazz Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 10:42 pm

Not sure if there's a thread on this, but I've been on a jazz kick lately. John Coltrane, Dave Brubeck, and Duke Ellington to name a few.

Any other jazz fans here?
Back to top Go down

Jazz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jazz   Jazz Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 11:05 pm

Count me in. I temporarily abandoned rock music in general for a good 5 years and studied jazz, I would still list it as my favorite type of music. I have about 3000 jazz CDs...and the credit card debt to prove it!

I started out initially by being interested in jazz guitar, I picked up a couple Wes Montgomery discs, some Kenny Burrell, John McLaughlin, etc. But it didn't take long for me to start getting interested in the genre as a whole. While I was learning the music I was also reading alot of books about it, Miles Davis' Autobiography, critical essays, Penguin Jazz guide and reading liner notes from CD's and box sets. I'm usually completely obsessive about anything that I really love, so once I got bitten by the jazz bug I knew it wouldn't go away easily.

But just like we argue about what bands are metal or not, there are just too many styles of music lumped under the term "jazz". There are at least 25 or more widely used sub-genres and all the arguments that come with them.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

Jazz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jazz   Jazz Icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2008 8:13 pm

I can dig a bit of jazz if its mixed in with some rock, like when rock instrumental guitar players like Eric Johnson or Jeff Scheetz or Craig Chacio blend some in with their sound. I know jazz purists would hate that but im just not a die hard pure jazz fan. I can dig some fusion-rock-jazz now and then but not steady diet. But I dig the clean sound of jazz, the clean drum sound and the groovy bass lines. I can appreciate any type pf music if it's done well.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Jazz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jazz   Jazz Icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2008 8:33 pm

I'm very, very picky about my jazz.

I HATE improvisational jazz; I still need some form to the music in order to enjoy it.

My favorite jazz-ish guitarist is Lee Ritenour. I also like David Sanborn's sax albums.

And I'd daresay that every Bruce Hornsby album since Harbor Lights has been jazz.

That's the jazz stuff I like.

Jazz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jazz   Jazz Icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2008 8:47 pm

tohostudios wrote:
I'm very, very picky about my jazz.

I HATE improvisational jazz; I still need some form to the music in order to enjoy it.

I think you might be misinterpreting what "improvisational" is in this case. It sounds like your referring to "free jazz", which is free blowing not based on any chord sequence. All jazz is improvisational, that's the point to it. David Sanborn, Lee Ritenour and others definitely play improvisational jazz.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Jazz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jazz   Jazz Icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2008 9:48 pm

I got into Jazz when I picked up "Bitches Brew" by Miles Davis after reading about the album in a magazine and loved it. Since then I have become a fan of John Coltrane " A Love Supreme" is simply one of the greatest recordings of the 20th century, the Weather Report which introduced me to the great Jaco. Of course Al Di Meola, his "Elegant Gypsy" was gospel to me for a few years.

Also love jazz vocalist Ella Fitzgerald, Lena Horne , Billie Holiday and one of my favorites Nina Simone, who's 60's recording is some of most powerful and poignant songs that deal with feelings, struggles and anger of the civil rights movement.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

Jazz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jazz   Jazz Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 3:54 pm

detuned wrote:
Count me in. I temporarily abandoned rock music in general for a good 5 years and studied jazz, I would still list it as my favorite type of music. I have about 3000 jazz CDs...and the credit card debt to prove it!

I started out initially by being interested in jazz guitar, I picked up a couple Wes Montgomery discs, some Kenny Burrell, John McLaughlin, etc. But it didn't take long for me to start getting interested in the genre as a whole. While I was learning the music I was also reading alot of books about it, Miles Davis' Autobiography, critical essays, Penguin Jazz guide and reading liner notes from CD's and box sets. I'm usually completely obsessive about anything that I really love, so once I got bitten by the jazz bug I knew it wouldn't go away easily.

But just like we argue about what bands are metal or not, there are just too many styles of music lumped under the term "jazz". There are at least 25 or more widely used sub-genres and all the arguments that come with them.

Is there any good Guitar jazz you could recommend?
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Jazz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jazz   Jazz Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 4:08 pm

Addy wrote:
detuned wrote:

Al Di Meola-Elegant Gypsy and Jeff Beck's Wired and Blow by Blow which has strong jazz fusion influence.
Back to top Go down

Jazz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jazz   Jazz Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 4:18 pm

Addy wrote:

Yes, tons. Start with these:

Wes Montgomery - Full House (Riverside)
Wes Montgomery - Smokin' At The Half Note (Verve)
Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue (Blue Note)
Grant Green - Live (Blue Note)
Grant Green - Matador (Blue Note)
Grant Green - Idle Moments (Blue Note)
Rene Thomas - Guitar Groove (Riverside)
Boogaloo Joe Jones - Legends Of Acid Jazz (Prestige)
John McLaughlin - Extrapolation (Verve)
Back to top Go down
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

Jazz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jazz   Jazz Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 9:44 pm

Jazz is second only to metal in my heart! I have an extracurricular vocal jazz ensemble that I teach as part of my choral directing job, so a lot of my jazz collection is vocal. Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, Louie Armstrong, Nancy Wilson (not the hot Heart guitarist!). There is a vocal quartet called New York Voices which is the premier vocal jazz group right now. I also am a big fan of a guy name Kurt Elling. An amazing talent. I could go on and on. Jazz 46812
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

Jazz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jazz   Jazz Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 9:46 pm

I like Ramsey Lewis, John Coltrane....and that's about it.
Back to top Go down
Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

Jazz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jazz   Jazz Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 9:49 pm

I'm more of an casual jazz fan, I own the entire Bela Fleck collection but that's about it. I've seen them live a few times, one of the best shows you will EVER see. Don't miss them if they come to your town.
Back to top Go down

Jazz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jazz   Jazz Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 9:54 pm

Schbopo wrote:
I like Ramsey Lewis, John Coltrane....and that's about it.

You're young, you haven't experienced much, give yourself a little time. I didn't like jazz when I was your age.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

Jazz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jazz   Jazz Icon_minitimeFri Nov 14, 2008 8:46 am

Thanks for the recommendations

I agree when I was 18 I hated blues & Jazz

I Do love Blues, especially the Old old blues
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com

Jazz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jazz   Jazz Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 1:07 am

Jazz F74495sbej0

Oliver Nelson - The Blues And The Abstract Truth (1961)

Here's an album that should be in any jazz collection, it's also not a bad disc for "beginners" as it's fairly easy to digest...while still not playing it too safely. Oliver Nelson was known more as a writer/arranger than a player, but his tenor sax solo on the track Stolen Moments is one of my favorites.

Here's the track Stolen Moments (streaming only please) for those interested:

Stolen Moments

Here's a breakdown of the song:

Introduction voiced by the three horns (alto sax, tenor sax, trumpet), you'll notice that the way the horns are arranged makes it sound like a much larger group than it actually is.

Solos are as follows:

Freddie Hubbard - Trumpet (check the double-time section around 2:35)
Eric Dolphy - Flute (this is about as "inside" as Dolphy ever gets)
Oliver Nelson - Tenor Sax (the melodic figure starting around 4:39 is stunning)
Bill Evans - Piano

followed by re-statement of theme and outro. The final dissonant chord (created by the three horns) is a nice touch.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

Jazz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jazz   Jazz Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 1:28 am

I wouldn't consider myself a fan of Jazz as I'm more about vocal melodies and tons of groove. Rock and Metal is where my heart is. Saying that my dad is a huge jazz fan and I have listened to many of his jazz records. It got me studying Jazz guitar and the theory around it. Jazz is all about improv and I find that awesome.

I doubt I will ever own any jazz cds as I need amazing vocal melodies and killer songwriting. I'm very very picky when it comes to music..
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

Jazz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jazz   Jazz Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 3:59 pm

There are a couple awesome bands that I've checked out recently that are really worth listening to.

The Bad Plus, is a trio (bass, drums, piano) who play a light smooth jazz style while covering such artists as Rush, Black Sabbath, and Tears For Fears. It's a great listen if you're just looking for relaxation.

Casiopea
is a Japanese jazz fusion band. They kick a lot of arse! The bass player uses a lot of slapping which I enjoy the most.

The Seatbelts do all the theme music for the anime Cowboy Bebop, but that doesn't mean any jazz fan won't like them. They incorporate the big band sound into a contemporary sound. Awesome horns.
Back to top Go down

Jazz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jazz   Jazz Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 4:06 pm

If you like those bands you should also check these out:

Deep Blue Organ Trio - http://www.deepblueorgantrio.com/

Organissimo - http://www.organissimo.org/

The Greyboy Allstars - http://www.greyboyallstars.com/
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

Jazz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jazz   Jazz Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 1:28 pm

detuned wrote:
If you like those bands you should also check these out:

Deep Blue Organ Trio - http://www.deepblueorgantrio.com/

Organissimo - http://www.organissimo.org/

The Greyboy Allstars - http://www.greyboyallstars.com/

I don't know. I dig the organ, but I think that they could lay off of it.
Back to top Go down

Jazz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jazz   Jazz Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 1:45 pm

fainting

Sorry, I tried.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

Jazz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jazz   Jazz Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2009 10:14 am

Just got into the jazz thing, especially jazz fusion. lovin me some al di meola, pat methany, and the Mahavishnu Orchestra. also I've been listening to a Wes Montgomery "best of" I picked up for $2. awesome stuff!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal

Jazz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jazz   Jazz Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2009 10:37 am

Here's a great clip of Montgomery performing Impressions. (note that he uses his thumb as a guitar pick)

Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

Jazz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jazz   Jazz Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2009 1:44 pm

1:27 - 1:55 is the reason I love jazz guitar and wanted to learn it.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

Jazz Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jazz   Jazz Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2009 5:14 pm

django always floors me with his playing.

check out that run at 1:20 affraid