Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New DISCIPLE

Go down 
+7
Stender
stevegarveyfan
akeldama
Thrasher73
XYZ
Tall Tyrion
ultmetal
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

New DISCIPLE Empty
PostSubject: New DISCIPLE   New DISCIPLE Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 12:48 pm

So I had a Disciple fan email me and inform me that Disciple were working on their new album.

Quote :
You probably heard Disciple comes out with new CD in a week. I thought you might have interest since they are talking lots of guitar solos on this new album and how it is different than all their others. They have a nice little bio on their myspace about it.

I like the early Disciple CDs, but around the time of This Might Sting, I began to lose interest as it became too samey sounding. Then when they changed styles and started following trends I became really disappointed. With their first album, the follow-up EP and up through This Might Sting, I thought they were a fairly unique band.

From Disciple's My Space:
Quote :
In addition, Disciple explores new musical ground on Southern Hospitality. The most notable progression is that Noah—having spent the last decade in an era in which guitar solos were deemed passé—was finally able to embrace his inner guitar hero. “He’s always been scared to play big guitar solos, because if you play too many solos people think you’re an ’80s band,” says Young. “Things now are coming back around. Games like Guitar Hero have made it cool to play guitar again. Brad is playing solos in nearly every song. I don’t mean mamby-pamby little things. I mean he’s wearin’ it out. If you’re a guitar player, this will definitely be your favorite Disciple record.”

Based on the album’s title, it should be no surprise that the band has also embraced their southern rock roots. On songs like “Lay My Burdens,” the band sends some southern thunder through their staple hard rock sound. Young says that he isn’t concerned with living up to Disciple’s prior success. “We’re just so excited about the new songs that we aren’t really worried about competing with Scars Remain,” he says.

Personally, this bugs me about many bands and is exactly the reason Christian music is years behind the times. Too worried about what is "acceptable" and where the trend are at. Why did you ever stop playing solos and being yourself?

I understand that Disciple are a full time band and it's their livelyhood. I also understand how trendy Christian music has to be in order to survive the fickle Christian market. I guess it just bugs me that bands are more concerned about what's going on in the "scene" than playing good music.

Thoughts on Disciple or my rant?

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

New DISCIPLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: New DISCIPLE   New DISCIPLE Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 12:53 pm

I stuck with them a bit longer. By God was a great record, and Back
Again was OK, but after that, they sounded no different than any other
of the hundreds of bands on the radio. Blech... My son still likes
them, but I quit long long ago.

I thought Brad was leaving the band? Is he still recording and someone else is playing live?
Back to top Go down

New DISCIPLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: New DISCIPLE   New DISCIPLE Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 12:55 pm

Never liked Disciple...

Your rant is 100% valid...Christian Music is almost always a few years behind what has already happened in the mainstream...bands like Avenged Sevenfold have already been doing solos again for a couple years now...since it worked for mainstream bands, it was a matter of time before popular Christian bands would do it too...
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

New DISCIPLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: New DISCIPLE   New DISCIPLE Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 12:57 pm

Tall Tyrion wrote:
I thought Brad was leaving the band? Is he still recording and someone else is playing live?
Yes. Still recording, but not touring any longer "due to health issues."

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

New DISCIPLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: New DISCIPLE   New DISCIPLE Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 12:57 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Tall Tyrion wrote:
I thought Brad was leaving the
band? Is he still recording and someone else is playing live?
Yes. Still recording, but not touring any longer "due to health issues."

Translation.... "I'm sick of the road." lol!
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

New DISCIPLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: New DISCIPLE   New DISCIPLE Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 1:03 pm

Scars Remain was a good album, imo. I'm looking forward to this album.

As for Christian music, I, unfortunately, don't listen to much of it because it always follows the trends of popular music which usually sucks.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

New DISCIPLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: New DISCIPLE   New DISCIPLE Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 1:11 pm

What Was I Thinking is the only Disciple I have or care to own.I think you're right Ult,they should play what they enjoy and stop chasing trends.
Back to top Go down

New DISCIPLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: New DISCIPLE   New DISCIPLE Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 1:17 pm

thrasher73 wrote:
What Was I Thinking is the only Disciple I have or care to own.I think you're right Ult,they should play what they enjoy and stop chasing trends.

What if they enjoy trends?
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Thrasher73

New DISCIPLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: New DISCIPLE   New DISCIPLE Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 1:21 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
thrasher73 wrote:

Then more power to them! Smile
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

New DISCIPLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: New DISCIPLE   New DISCIPLE Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 1:33 pm

thrasher73 wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
thrasher73 wrote:

Except that they sort of made it clear in their recent quotes that they are "glad they can play solos again since it's more acceptable". Sounds to me like it's not about "enjoying the trends" but rather worrying about being mislabeled "an 80's band."

New DISCIPLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: New DISCIPLE   New DISCIPLE Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 2:00 pm

ultmetal wrote:
thrasher73 wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
thrasher73 wrote:

Except that they sort of made it clear in their recent quotes that they are "glad they can play solos again since it's more acceptable". Sounds to me like it's not about "enjoying the trends" but rather worrying about being mislabeled "an 80's band."

Right...I was trying to be funny. I suck. insane
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Thrasher73

New DISCIPLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: New DISCIPLE   New DISCIPLE Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 2:18 pm

Yeah,we know Shawn! lol!
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

New DISCIPLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: New DISCIPLE   New DISCIPLE Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 2:30 pm

Right! I guess I should have just replied with: lol!

New DISCIPLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: New DISCIPLE   New DISCIPLE Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 3:24 pm

I really enjoyed early Disciple albums, but once they went with the more radio friendly and trendy style music I began to lose interest, although some of the recent songs were good. I am highly interested in their new album, hoping that they will present something original and creative since they said they had more time for this album. I do wish some of the christian bands would focus more on creativity and originality than just trying to throw out a trendy album with positive lyrics. I realize they want to appeal to a majority of people that are in a certain trendy style, but those trends fade quickly as a new trend is sought after.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

New DISCIPLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: New DISCIPLE   New DISCIPLE Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 3:50 pm

Hello Greg77. Welcome.

New DISCIPLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: New DISCIPLE   New DISCIPLE Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 4:04 pm

Thank you, Happy
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

New DISCIPLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: New DISCIPLE   New DISCIPLE Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 4:20 pm

I'm a big Disciple fan and a friend of the band. I agree though that a lot of the riffs sound the same even from album to album. Back Again is my fave though due to the heaviness of the album. Southern Hospitality reminds me a lot of What Was I Thinking and that's a good thing without the 90's vibe the aforementioned album had.
Back to top Go down

New DISCIPLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: New DISCIPLE   New DISCIPLE Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 5:49 pm

It's a group I can stand and my kids like so I hear them quite a bit. I like them, not groundbreaking but good.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

New DISCIPLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: New DISCIPLE   New DISCIPLE Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 6:48 pm

akeldama wrote:
I'm a big Disciple fan and a friend of the band. I agree though that a lot of the riffs sound the same even from album to album. Back Again is my fave though due to the heaviness of the album. Southern Hospitality reminds me a lot of What Was I Thinking and that's a good thing without the 90's vibe the aforementioned album had.

Cool. Then I might like it. The "embracing Southern rock roots" is interesting, although I think some people's definition of Southern Rock is a bit different than mine.

Metal master
Metal master
stevegarveyfan

Number of posts : 613

New DISCIPLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: New DISCIPLE   New DISCIPLE Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 6:56 pm

I am not a fan of the band's music. When I first started hearing about them in the 90s via Heaven's Metal ads and reviews, I never checked them out. I think they looked a little trendy to me even then.

Having said that, the band played here in my hometown a few months ago. Some friends invited me, so I went. Although I am still not a fan of the music, I can report to you that they can definitely play their instruments quite well. Also, the band impressed the socks offa me with their upfront evangelism. That impressed me.

From what I could tell, they seemed like genuinely nice guys.
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

New DISCIPLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: New DISCIPLE   New DISCIPLE Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 8:21 pm

stevegarveyfan wrote:
I am not a fan of the band's music. When I first started hearing about them in the 90s via Heaven's Metal ads and reviews, I never checked them out. I think they looked a little trendy to me even then.

Having said that, the band played here in my hometown a few months ago. Some friends invited me, so I went. Although I am still not a fan of the music, I can report to you that they can definitely play their instruments quite well. Also, the band impressed the socks offa me with their upfront evangelism. That impressed me.

From what I could tell, they seemed like genuinely nice guys.

Do yourself a favor and track down both What Was I Thinking and This Might Sting A Little. Both essential, IMO. 🤘

New DISCIPLE Me_and_a_friend_with_Disciple

I saw Disciple at a fest shortly before By God was released. That is me, Tim Barrett, Brad Noah and a friend of mine.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

New DISCIPLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: New DISCIPLE   New DISCIPLE Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 8:36 pm

ultmetal wrote:
akeldama wrote:

Cool. Then I might like it. The "embracing Southern rock roots" is interesting, although I think some people's definition of Southern Rock is a bit different than mine.

I think you'll like it more than the last few releases but it might not hook you right away.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

New DISCIPLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: New DISCIPLE   New DISCIPLE Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 9:15 pm

There myspace message is the dumbest thing I have read today...just dont worry about what people think and you'll be fine! My uncle used to have a saying that he came up with in the 80's that I think applies..."nothing to prove, nothing to lose"...cheesy know doubt, but thats the truth.

Anywaays, a friend showed me there "my daddy can whip your daddy" album a few years back and I liked a couple songs. I wont buy the new one though...
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

New DISCIPLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: New DISCIPLE   New DISCIPLE Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 10:31 pm

Stender wrote:
Anywaays, a friend showed me there "my daddy can whip your daddy" album a few years back and I liked a couple songs. I wont buy the new one though...

That was an EP. It was decent, but nothing as good as WWIT or TMSAL.
Back to top Go down
MetalH
Metal master
Metal master
MetalH

Number of posts : 647

New DISCIPLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: New DISCIPLE   New DISCIPLE Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2008 2:39 pm

By God is a freakin' heavy album, and it's my favorite.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/bryanlovestrek
Sponsored content

New DISCIPLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: New DISCIPLE   New DISCIPLE Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New DISCIPLE
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next