Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

K-Tel's RIGHTEOUS METAL compilation

Go down 
+4
Stender
ultmetal
Thrasher73
Fat Freddy
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

K-Tel's RIGHTEOUS METAL compilation Empty
PostSubject: K-Tel's RIGHTEOUS METAL compilation   K-Tel's RIGHTEOUS METAL compilation Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 10:03 am

K-Tel's RIGHTEOUS METAL compilation 196_05_22_2008_1_07_59_RighteousMetal%20001

Anybody here remember this classic compilation from the fine folks at K-Tel ("20 Hits By The Original Artists!") Records?? I'd bet that quite a few members of the board owned this album at one time or another.

I had this album years ago but was under the impression that I'd lost it or traded it away... till I was looking thru some boxes in my attic over the weekend and found the tape case in a box of random stuff... unfortunately, with no cassette in it. I looked thru the rest of the box and couldn't find the tape, so I have no idea where the heck it could be. Which is a bummer, because I would love to hear this album again.

I picked this tape up at a K-Mart (I think) back around '88 or '89...I had been into Stryper for a couple of years and had just discovered Barren Cross (their only album I owned @ the time was ATOMIC ARENA, so I most likely bought RIGHTEOUS METAL so I could have BC's "Rock For The King," which I'd never heard) but those two bands were the extent of my Christian metal knowledge at the time... therefore, this tape ended up being my introduction to some other Christian bands that I'd been hearing/reading about but hadn't actually heard yet. I remember really liking the tracks by Bloodgood, Saint, and especially Messiah Prophet -- I went out and picked up M.P.'s MASTER OF THE METAL (on vinyl no less!) soon after hearing the title track on this comp -- as well as Stryken (who I thought were pretty goofy... still do, actually!), though I don't remember much about most of the other songs on this album...when I look at the track listing I wonder if I ever bothered to listen to side 2 at all, because I can't remember a thing about any of those songs. Laughing I still find it kind of odd that Petra and the Altar Boys (!) were included on a "Metal" compilation.

I believe K-Tel eventually released a RIGHTEOUS METAL II follow up and I vaguely remember another compilation from the same era (which may or may not have been on K-Tel) called "TESTIFY! THE BEST OF CHRISTIAN METAL" but I've never seen/heard either of those.

I'll have to go digging in the attic again soon to pull out the holiday decorations so I'll try to keep an eye peeled for this cassette while I'm at it... if I find it, I will definitely have to give it another spin (it's been years!) and hopefully comment on some of the tunes I've forgotten about.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: K-Tel's RIGHTEOUS METAL compilation   K-Tel's RIGHTEOUS METAL compilation Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 10:17 am

I used to have it...
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: K-Tel's RIGHTEOUS METAL compilation   K-Tel's RIGHTEOUS METAL compilation Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 10:26 am

Still have my cassette of this.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: K-Tel's RIGHTEOUS METAL compilation   K-Tel's RIGHTEOUS METAL compilation Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 10:57 am

Kmorg has it on CD.

http://www.metal-metropolis.com/various_artists.htm

I use to own this collection. I always thought there were a few tracks that didn't belong. Rick Cua, Petra and especially The Alter Boys just should not have been on a "Metal" compilation IMO.

The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: K-Tel's RIGHTEOUS METAL compilation   K-Tel's RIGHTEOUS METAL compilation Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 11:43 am

Sounds cool, I have some old K-tel compilation 8-tracks of Gary Puckett, Tommy James and the shondelles, etc.

About Petra though, I think it depends on which song was being featured on the comp. I mean, "Judas Kiss", "All Fired Up", "Mine Field", "This means war" and "Dance" all in my opinion would have fit nicley a christian metal compilation.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: K-Tel's RIGHTEOUS METAL compilation   K-Tel's RIGHTEOUS METAL compilation Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 12:59 pm

I think I have both somewhere in my collection - I will have to look when I get home. Ult is correct that some of the songs don't belong (Altar Boys, come on, NOT metal!!!!)

I seem to remember the sounds quality on the KTEL LP's were pretty bad, especially since they slammed so much music on one LP.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: K-Tel's RIGHTEOUS METAL compilation   K-Tel's RIGHTEOUS METAL compilation Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 1:17 pm

I think I have both os those, but only one is on the website as of yet. As with any compialtion album, the tracklist is questionable. But it still a great way to discover new bands.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: K-Tel's RIGHTEOUS METAL compilation   K-Tel's RIGHTEOUS METAL compilation Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 9:47 am

I used to have it on cassette
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: K-Tel's RIGHTEOUS METAL compilation   K-Tel's RIGHTEOUS METAL compilation Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 6:33 pm

I have this and the Testify both on CD.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: K-Tel's RIGHTEOUS METAL compilation   K-Tel's RIGHTEOUS METAL compilation Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

K-Tel's RIGHTEOUS METAL compilation
Page 1 of 1