Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Robin Trower - unsung guitar genius

Go down 
+6
ultmetal
sam
stepcousin
SAHB Healer
MetalGuy71
manny
10 posters
AuthorMessage

Robin Trower - unsung guitar genius Empty
PostSubject: Robin Trower - unsung guitar genius   Robin Trower - unsung guitar genius Icon_minitimeThu Oct 02, 2008 5:01 pm

Robin Trower is one of the few remaining masters of blues/rock guitar. From his early progressive rock days with Procol Harum, to his arena rock heydey in the 70's, to his return to the blues in the 90's and beyond he's never lost his signature voice...and in fact he's a better player now than ever before.

He was one of the few players that really "GOT" what Hendrix was laying down and he was able to take Jimi's innovations as a jumping off point to creating his own absolutely unique guitar sound. He's been an influence on players as diverse as Stevie Ray Vaughan and Ty Tabor from King's X.

The man has a long list of "must-own" albums including:

Twice Removed From Yesterday
Bridge Of Sighs
For Earth Below
Live
Long Misty Days
Victims Of The Fury
...and those are just the early highlights.

His most recent release with Jack Bruce is the best album either artist has recorded in many years:

Robin Trower - unsung guitar genius J70679meykr

If you need an "introductory" disc to start with, these newly released collection has a nice overview of his 70's work:

Robin Trower - unsung guitar genius K97411rouct

Any other Trower fans here?
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Robin Trower - unsung guitar genius   Robin Trower - unsung guitar genius Icon_minitimeThu Oct 02, 2008 5:10 pm

I discovered Robin Trower through of all things Hit Parader article when I was kid. They used to have a section called Legends of Rock, and they profiled him so I took a chance a bought 'Bridge of Sighs' what a great album.

And as much as I love his guitar playing the instrument that stands out the most is James Dewer's voice. That guy sang with so much emotion and on songs like 'In this Place' and 'Bridge of Sighs', you could feel he meant every word, Robin Trower and James Dewer were magic together, excellent guitartist paired with an excellent sympathic singer. Brillant.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Robin Trower - unsung guitar genius   Robin Trower - unsung guitar genius Icon_minitimeThu Oct 02, 2008 5:18 pm

Believe me, I don't downplay Dewar's contribution, one of my top 5 favorite vocalists of all time.

Trower's albums without Dewar were never as good (though the Jack Bruce albums come close).
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Robin Trower - unsung guitar genius   Robin Trower - unsung guitar genius Icon_minitimeThu Oct 02, 2008 5:23 pm

detuned wrote:
Believe me, I don't downplay Dewar's contribution, one of my top 5 favorite vocalists of all time.

Trower's albums without Dewar were never as good (though the Jack Bruce albums come close).

I do like the albums without Dewar also, maybe I downplayed Robin Trower's contribution to his own solo career, Trower til this day has never phoned in his performance, he still plays with passion and fire, overlooked and under rated guitartist. Critics ( especially Rolling Stone) used to claim he was a Hendrix clone, shows how clueless and hard of hearing most critics are.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Robin Trower - unsung guitar genius   Robin Trower - unsung guitar genius Icon_minitimeThu Oct 02, 2008 5:56 pm

I'm a fan. I have Bridge of Sighs and his Essential collection. I just listened to Bridge of Sighs the other night while I was going through a stack of mail.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Robin Trower - unsung guitar genius   Robin Trower - unsung guitar genius Icon_minitimeThu Oct 02, 2008 9:27 pm

I'm not sure but I think Jimmy DeWar was a friend of Paul Rodgers. Whether that's true or not I do hear a similarity. Great, great voices. Also Davy Pattison of Gamma. All of those bands had just killer vocal/guitar chemistry, but of the three I'd say that Trower/DeWar was the best.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Robin Trower - unsung guitar genius   Robin Trower - unsung guitar genius Icon_minitimeThu Oct 02, 2008 9:55 pm

I have Beyond The Mist, Bridge, and Portfolio. I do appreciate his work alot, definately more than yer average old school rock fan, but I'm not a major insane fan of his work but I can understand why one would be a huge fan of his cuz he's great.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Robin Trower - unsung guitar genius   Robin Trower - unsung guitar genius Icon_minitimeThu Oct 02, 2008 11:02 pm

never heard of this guy, blues you say? will have to check it out
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal

PostSubject: Re: Robin Trower - unsung guitar genius   Robin Trower - unsung guitar genius Icon_minitimeFri Oct 03, 2008 1:14 am

sam wrote:

More blues rock than straight blues...but he fits into the same category as Hendrix, SRV, Jeff Beck, etc.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Robin Trower - unsung guitar genius   Robin Trower - unsung guitar genius Icon_minitimeFri Oct 03, 2008 10:18 am

Love Robin Trower. Another Hendix prodigy. Always thought he had a very heavy guitar tone.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Robin Trower - unsung guitar genius   Robin Trower - unsung guitar genius Icon_minitimeFri Oct 03, 2008 10:23 am

Agree with Ult, his guitar tone is incredible.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Robin Trower - unsung guitar genius   Robin Trower - unsung guitar genius Icon_minitimeFri Oct 03, 2008 10:49 am

detuned wrote:
sam wrote:

More blues rock than straight blues...but he fits into the same category as Hendrix, SRV, Jeff Beck, etc.

will definitely put on my want list
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
skullsmasher
Metal master
Metal master
skullsmasher

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: Robin Trower - unsung guitar genius   Robin Trower - unsung guitar genius Icon_minitimeFri Oct 03, 2008 12:01 pm

A friend gave me one of his CDs a while back, I have always liked this guy since back in high school but have never bought any of his music. I need to remedy that, he is a great guitarist.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Robin Trower - unsung guitar genius   Robin Trower - unsung guitar genius Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 12:09 pm

Good interview with Jack Bruce about the recording of the Seven Moons album with Trower.

http://www.mwe3.com/archive/pastfeature/featureJackRobin2008.htm
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Robin Trower - unsung guitar genius   Robin Trower - unsung guitar genius Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 12:15 pm

That's weird. I have no recollection of this thread, even though I posted a reply. Looks like I picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue. Oh well.

Anyway, yea, great guitarist. I just picked up Seven Moons recently and it's great. Any fan of Trower or Jack Bruce should do themselves a favor and get it.

PostSubject: Re: Robin Trower - unsung guitar genius   Robin Trower - unsung guitar genius Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 12:48 pm

An object lesson in tone.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Robin Trower - unsung guitar genius   Robin Trower - unsung guitar genius Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 2:46 am

Trower is great. A friend turned me on to him a long time ago with his essential Robin Trower album. I like the song "Too Rolling Stoned" among others.
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Robin Trower - unsung guitar genius   Robin Trower - unsung guitar genius Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 3:50 am

I haven't expanded into any of his other stuff except "Bridge Of Sighs". Even so, I have played that record countless times. Also to my luck, he is playing at a newly-opened venue in my town! So excited!
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: Robin Trower - unsung guitar genius   Robin Trower - unsung guitar genius Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2022 4:28 pm

Lol. I bought “ Day of The Eagle “. Had to.
I’ve heard his name over and over.
I didn’t have any high hopes about the CD.
Just finished listening to “ Bootleg “ AEROSMITH.
So I toss on Trower’s CD. Had it for a year or two now.
This time…..I was floored….by how fun it was to listen to. A jammer.
I can just imagine what one of his concerts were like.
A good poll would be Nugent or Trower.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Robin Trower - unsung guitar genius   Robin Trower - unsung guitar genius Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2022 10:02 pm

One of the top 5 best Hendrix inspired players imo.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Robin Trower - unsung guitar genius   Robin Trower - unsung guitar genius Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Robin Trower - unsung guitar genius
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: