Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Does Album Artwork Offend You?

Go down 
+29
Troublezone
Follower of Jesus
skullsmasher
thejokeriv
Required Fields
DeathCult
sam
scottmitchell74
Rex
TheGooch
Leatherface
the sentinel
XYZ
stevegarveyfan
ThrashedOutCobra33
Schbopo
Stender
Chairman_Smith
manny
mc666
Thrasher73
Tall Tyrion
Lurideath
MetalGuy71
tohostudios
nevermore
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
A Handful of Wayne
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
skullsmasher
Metal master
Metal master
skullsmasher

Number of posts : 638

Does Album Artwork Offend You? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does Album Artwork Offend You?   Does Album Artwork Offend You? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 03, 2008 9:01 am

This "Prosthetic" band is just using the most vile thing they can think of to get attention. Their music probably ( I say probably because I have not heard them nor will I) can't hold it's own so they resort to this crap. I have seen a few other bands out there that do this sort thing with their image and identity. I won't waste my time or money on it. I am not really offended by it but to me it really shows that there really is no talent behind this project and that they are are trying to mask that fact with what they deem as shocking. This really goes for many bands in this genre.

As I write this I have to hand it to them in the fact that they did get us to acknowledge them in this thread, so I guess they did succeed to some degree.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Does Album Artwork Offend You?   Does Album Artwork Offend You? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 03, 2008 11:14 am

If I did not have a super-model daughter, I couldn't care less. As you all know, censorship is one of my main peeves. So, just having a daughter is the only thing that gives me a different perspective. It is just another tangible reminder of the REAL sickness that is in our society. There are much worse album covers than that. It's just being a dad, that I singled that one out. Hell, one of my best friends is in Anal Blast. Their covers are not ponies and flowers! haha
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Does Album Artwork Offend You?   Does Album Artwork Offend You? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 03, 2008 11:41 am

SAXON1500 wrote:
If I did not have a super-model daughter, I couldn't care less. As you all know, censorship is one of my main peeves. So, just having a daughter is the only thing that gives me a different perspective. It is just another tangible reminder of the REAL sickness that is in our society. There are much worse album covers than that. It's just being a dad, that I singled that one out. Hell, one of my best friends is in Anal Blast. Their covers are not ponies and flowers! haha

Having a daughter myself,I understand exactly where you're coming from Sax.I think most fathers here would agree
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Does Album Artwork Offend You?   Does Album Artwork Offend You? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 03, 2008 12:26 pm

So true. Ask me when i'm 20 and it would be a very different answer then at 40 with three daughters.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28455

PostSubject: Re: Does Album Artwork Offend You?   Does Album Artwork Offend You? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 03, 2008 12:48 pm

manny wrote:
Speaking of the " Virgin Killer" album cover, I read a few issues back of classic rock, that Uli Jon Roth had said the album cover was embrassment to him personally and he hates it, he felt that it took away from the music. He also claims that cover wasn't his idea or any of the Scorpions but management that Scorpions had at that time.

That's what I heard as well. Klaus Meine said something about this once as well, that the band wanted something controversial, but the final cover art was not what the band had in mind.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan

PostSubject: Re: Does Album Artwork Offend You?   Does Album Artwork Offend You? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 03, 2008 1:39 pm

Regarding "Christ Illusion"...I don't really see why that cover would bother someone more than any of their others....the inside cover of God Hates Us All isn't exactly "cheery" either. I'm not "defending" it, I just don't see it as being any worse than Hell Awaits, Reign In Blood...etc.

There is artwork that I may not like, but I don't offend easily and I'm a firm "anti-censorship" guy.

I also don't see what the big deal about the Bloody Kisses cover is...it's pretty tame.
Back to top Go down
Follower of Jesus
Metal student
Metal student
Follower of Jesus

Number of posts : 121

PostSubject: Re: Does Album Artwork Offend You?   Does Album Artwork Offend You? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 03, 2008 4:35 pm

Do you find lyrics offensive? After all, the band is trying to convey something with the cover art just as much as they are with their music and lyrics. If you can't be offended by lyrics, then I would imagine you can't be offended by cover art. However, if lyrics can offend you, then I would think that cover art can offend you as well.

Me? I can, and often am, offended by cover art (and lyrics). As a Christian, I find the cover of Motley Crue's latest album offensive. They're entitled to their cover art, but I'm entitled to ignore what might be a great album because I hate the message of their album cover.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Does Album Artwork Offend You?   Does Album Artwork Offend You? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 03, 2008 6:51 pm

I understand and respect your point, basically each of us knows what does or doesn't bother us and we judge accordingly. The only time I get bothered is when people try to tell ME what is good for me or not (censorship, PMRC, Pat Robertson, etc).

As for the question about lyrics, I learned a long time ago to not take metal lyrics seriously, so I really don't even think about them. It's the music that's important to me.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Does Album Artwork Offend You?   Does Album Artwork Offend You? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 04, 2008 12:15 pm

detuned wrote:
I understand and respect your point, basically each of us knows what does or doesn't bother us and we judge accordingly. The only time I get bothered is when people try to tell ME what is good for me or not (censorship, PMRC, Pat Robertson, etc).

As for the question about lyrics, I learned a long time ago to not take metal lyrics seriously, so I really don't even think about them. It's the music that's important to me.

I agree with your first point wholeheartedly, I hate when people become offended by something and then try to push there views or censor the offense. Some folks need to grow thicker skin. If someone doesn't like a band or album cover that's fine just don't push your views on the rest of us.

I better stop, I'm on a rant today... angry
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Does Album Artwork Offend You?   Does Album Artwork Offend You? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 04, 2008 12:24 pm

I have a problem with the blasphemous stuff.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Does Album Artwork Offend You?   Does Album Artwork Offend You? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 05, 2008 5:36 pm

Since it was my comments that sparked this thread I think it's time for me to reply. I don't like to let anything offend me. As my three year old nephew pointed out to my mother once when she told him that if he didn't finish his meal that she'd feel sad, "Then be sad." A person is responsible for their own feelings. You need to develop a thick skin and not let things get to you or the offender wins. When an album cover is of an offensive nature like satanic and overly sexual ones it is done to elicit a responce. I choose not to let that happen, however, if I don't like the album cover, it can be a factor in whether or not I will buy the album. As with the Bloody Kisses album, the cover is just part of it. The main thing is the song Christian Woman which is about a nun who wants to have sex with Jesus. The problem is, that song is a song I used to love but now knowing the meaning of the lyrics I couldn't bring myself to hear it again less I sing a-long (something that is unavoidable when I like a song). I don't want to spend too much on an album when I won't listen to the whole thing.

As far as the album cover, I will not explain why I don't want the album cover in my possesion (too personal) but suffice to say, I don't need to have sexually suggestive material of any sort around. The covers that I avoid the most are the blasphemous stuff but that also has to do with the lyrics and the band's attitude. More often than not, an album cover will be a deciding factor in me getting an album more than rejecting one.

Fat Freddy's suggestion about downloading the album (legally of course Wink ) sounds like an ideal option. I don't have to have the artwork and I can pay for only the songs I want (the only ones I don't want are Machine Screw and Christian Woman).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Does Album Artwork Offend You?   Does Album Artwork Offend You? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 05, 2008 6:45 pm

Well put, Dallas. Stuff like that Type O cover doesn't offend me, but it's certainly not something I'd take home to my Mom. If people interpret stuff as offensive, fine, but if it's like this Prosthetic band, who are just trying to piss people off, then I probably won't give it a second thought.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: Does Album Artwork Offend You?   Does Album Artwork Offend You? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 05, 2008 8:16 pm

DallasBlack wrote:

Fat Freddy's suggestion about downloading the album (legally of course Wink ) sounds like an ideal option. I don't have to have the artwork and I can pay for only the songs I want (the only ones I don't want are Machine Screw and Christian Woman).

There ya go, DB. "Machine Screw" is just a silly intro piece anyway, to be honest I usually hit the skip button when that one comes on Smile

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Does Album Artwork Offend You?   Does Album Artwork Offend You? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 3:32 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Always hated the artwork to Celtic Frost's To Megatherion. Not sure I'd say "it offends me". I just don't like the way it portrays Christ. I own the CD, I've just turned the cover art to the inside.

When I first heard the title of this thread I automatically thought of your view's on this cover, I'm not too much of a Christian, I am raised as one though, and I don't like this cover either.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Does Album Artwork Offend You?   Does Album Artwork Offend You? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 11:36 pm

EvyMetal wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
Always hated the artwork to Celtic Frost's To Megatherion. Not sure I'd say "it offends me". I just don't like the way it portrays Christ. I own the CD, I've just turned the cover art to the inside.

When I first heard the title of this thread I automatically thought of your view's on this cover, I'm not too much of a Christian, I am raised as one though, and I don't like this cover either.

I always liked that cover

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Vordul

Number of posts : 322

PostSubject: Re: Does Album Artwork Offend You?   Does Album Artwork Offend You? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 2:34 am

yeah the fleshbomb cd cover is atrocious
check em on metal archives
dumbest cover ever!
Back to top Go down
jmapot
Metal novice
Metal novice
jmapot

Number of posts : 7

PostSubject: Re: Does Album Artwork Offend You?   Does Album Artwork Offend You? - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 11:08 am

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
For the last couple of days I was having a discussion with someone on this board about Type O Negatives album Bloody Kisses. It has a couple of different covers but mainly the one thats found more often in stores is the one with 2 girls kissing on the front cover. Now he likes the band but because of the girls kissing on the front cover he will not buy it unless he finds one of the alternate covers for a cheaper price. Which is understandable because he doesnt want to betray his beiefs and wants to save a little cash.

What I just dont understand is if you like a band does it really matter what the artwork is? You know what their songs are about so why should artwork be the deciding factor to not get something? Im not trying to put anyone down or anything, because everyone has their own beliefs and I respect that. I would just like to know how many other people feel that way.

The only time I could say maybe I felt that way was when I started getting into metal. A lot of covers at the time scared me but only because I was young and wasnt too sure what to believe. If I listened to this band then your gonna go to Hell sort of thing. Then after a while I was just like thats rediculous its just music and everyone interprets music in their own way. For me I listen to a lot of bands where I dont believe in their way of thinking or writing but the music is good and thats all I care about. I just dont take things too seriously because you never know what you could be missing out on. After all its just entertainment.

So discuss....How do you feel?

I'm not easily offended. I believe in freedom of expression in art/music. If I was offended I'd not look again Sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does Album Artwork Offend You?   Does Album Artwork Offend You? - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Does Album Artwork Offend You?
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4