Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands?

Go down 
+26
DallasBlack
DeathCult
sam
steel warrior
skullsmasher
Tall Tyrion
Schbopo
XYZ
nevermore
7thSecond
akeldama
Temple of Blood
kmorg
thejokeriv
scottmitchell74
MetalGuy71
Shiney
tohostudios
Thrasher73
ultmetal
manny
Fat Freddy
mc666
rattpoison
SAHB Healer
Troublezone
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands?   Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 2:09 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Schbopo wrote:
They were certainly no Ratt.

Right, because they were better. Very Happy

Stephen Pearcy isn't half the vocalist Micheal Sweet is.

If hard rock bands were gauged solely by their singer's ability then STEELHEART would be the best hard rock band of all-time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands?   Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 2:17 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
Schbopo wrote:

If hard rock bands were gauged solely by their singer's ability then STEELHEART would be the best hard rock band of all-time.

Stryper - Ratt

Stryper- Better Singer

Stryper - Better Drummer

Ratt better guitarist, but still clsoer than the other two.

bass player - push.

Stryper wins.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands?   Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 2:30 pm

I'm not saying RATT are better overall, I was just questioning mentioning only the singers as the sole gauge of a band's merit.
Back to top Go down
steel warrior
Metal student
Metal student
steel warrior

Number of posts : 133

PostSubject: Re: Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands?   Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 2:50 pm

On their first 3 albums, top tier for me. Since then, very low tier...
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands?   Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 3:10 pm

One of the top back in the day

yellow and black - to hell with the devil

to hell with the devil is the greatest christian song ever.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 668

PostSubject: Re: Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands?   Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 3:51 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Well I think Holy Soldier (Steven Patrick era) would take that title. butt dance
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands?   Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2008 8:06 pm

Upper middle tier. I like their first few albums quite a bit.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands?   Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 7:04 pm

Middle-Upper Tier from what I've heard. I didn't get into Stryper until after I became a Christian in 2000. I have Can't Stop The Rock, Against The Law, and In God We Trust so I am not really an authority on them. Michael Sweet's vocals are definatly a highlight of the band. Some Christians I knew tried to get me to disregard Stryper trying to convince me that they did more harm to Christianity than good. However, as much as I admired their faith in God, I shut out most of what they said about music. Some stuff did get through (resulting in a loss of over 100 CDs-an act I would gladly go back and change if possile), but I mostly use my own judgement on what albums to get and what not to get

I digress, Stryper is awesome and I do plan on expanding my collection.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

PostSubject: Re: Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands?   Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 7:14 pm

DB, you haven't heard their best stuff at all.

Soldiers Under Commamnd and To Hell with The devil.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands?   Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 9:00 pm

DenimAndLeather wrote:
DB, you haven't heard their best stuff at all.

Soldiers Under Commamnd and To Hell with The devil.

Which is why I am no authority on them. The best of disc and those two albums metioned is where I end as far as Stryper goes. However, I am going to rectify that in the near future.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

PostSubject: Re: Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands?   Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2008 11:30 am

Yeah, it's all good, just that you will probably like that stuff way more. Most people do.
Back to top Go down
YngwieDokkenfan
Metal student
Metal student
YngwieDokkenfan

Number of posts : 112

PostSubject: Re: Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands?   Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 1:53 am

manny wrote:
Right in the middle, not as bad as Warrent but alot more talented than some of the bands that were alot more successful but they did not have the cultural impact of Motley Crue, Ratt, or even Dokken.

They could musically fit in with both types of hair metal bands mentioned such as TNT and Dokken , due Oz Fox being underrated guitartist but due to their ballads they could also fit in with Firehouse and Warrent. Lyrically they were on their own.

I agree. Stryper actually reminds me of Styx, and I'm a fan of both bands. Michael Sweet has the high and powerful tenor sounds of Dennis DeYoung, but more powerful than Dennis. Ox Fox is not Yngwie or Schenker, but he is one of the better axemen out there, maybe on the level of George Lynch of Dokken. Oz definitely makes Stryper a cool guitar band, especially on the earlier albums.

I'll be a maverick and say that I enjoy their ballads as well as their harder rocking songs. They are well-rounded musically. Nothing wrong with a nice, tender song to balance of the songs that kick total ass!!
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Number of posts : 2206

PostSubject: Re: Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands?   Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 10:25 pm

Stryper has always been in my Hair Metal Top 10 and always will be!
Back to top Go down
Joe C
Metal novice
Metal novice
Joe C

Number of posts : 11

PostSubject: Re: Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands?   Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 11:13 pm

Michael Sweet's vocals is what set Stryper aside from the rest.
His incredible vocal talent is second to none.

Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands? - Page 3 Emo_srocks_gif
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

PostSubject: Re: Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands?   Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 7:38 am

Joe C wrote:
Michael Sweet's vocals is what set Stryper aside from the rest.
His incredible vocal talent is second to none.

Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands? - Page 3 Emo_srocks_gif
+1 Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands? - Page 3 604261 Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands? - Page 3 505193
Back to top Go down
YngwieDokkenfan
Metal student
Metal student
YngwieDokkenfan

PostSubject: Re: Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands?   Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 12:31 am

ultmetal wrote:
Schbopo wrote:

Anyone else remember the late 80's/early 90's Christian Metal band Whitecross?? These guys sounded almost indentical to Ratt as far as their musical sound. Like Stryper, their lyrics were Christ centered and direct. If you liked the sound of Ratt but preferred faith centered lyrics, Whitecross was awesome. On lead guitars you had Rex Carroll 🤘 He shredded things up, played nice lyrical passages, and was by far the most accomplished musician in Whitecross. In short, he was to Whitecross what Warren DeMartini was to Ratt 🤘 . As far as vocals, Scott Wenzel sounded so much like Pearcy that you'd almost think they were the same man. Wenzel doesn't just sound like Pearcy. He sounds almost identical to him!!

I like Stryper as well as Ratt and Whitecross. Carroll/DeMartini are definitely better than Ox Fox. Vocally, though, I prefer MIchael Sweet over Pearcy or Wenzel.
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

PostSubject: Re: Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands?   Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 3:38 pm

YngwieDokkenfan wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
Schbopo wrote:

Anyone else remember the late 80's/early 90's Christian Metal band Whitecross?? These guys sounded almost indentical to Ratt as far as their musical sound. Like Stryper, their lyrics were Christ centered and direct. If you liked the sound of Ratt but preferred faith centered lyrics, Whitecross was awesome. On lead guitars you had Rex Carroll 🤘 He shredded things up, played nice lyrical passages, and was by far the most accomplished musician in Whitecross. In short, he was to Whitecross what Warren DeMartini was to Ratt 🤘 . As far as vocals, Scott Wenzel sounded so much like Pearcy that you'd almost think they were the same man. Wenzel doesn't just sound like Pearcy. He sounds almost identical to him!!

I like Stryper as well as Ratt and Whitecross. Carroll/DeMartini are definitely better than Ox Fox. Vocally, though, I prefer MIchael Sweet over Pearcy or Wenzel.
I LOVE Whitecross! Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands? - Page 3 505193 🤘 "Take It To The Limit" is the best song Ratt never recorded!
Back to top Go down
YngwieDokkenfan
Metal student
Metal student
YngwieDokkenfan

PostSubject: Re: Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands?   Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 1:38 am

Hahahaha!!!!I hear ya, 7'th!!!
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

PostSubject: Re: Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands?   Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 8:59 am

YngwieDokkenfan wrote:
Do I know ya from somwhere else by another name, dude? We seem to be agreeing on some major stuff here, and I LOVE your screen name, as it's my fave guitarist and one of my fave singers all in one place! YOU ROCK, DUDE! 🤘
Back to top Go down
YngwieDokkenfan
Metal student
Metal student
YngwieDokkenfan

PostSubject: Re: Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands?   Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 7:45 pm

7thSaviour wrote:
YngwieDokkenfan wrote:
Do I know ya from somwhere else by another name, dude? We seem to be agreeing on some major stuff here, and I LOVE your screen name, as it's my fave guitarist and one of my fave singers all in one place! YOU ROCK, DUDE! 🤘

We do like the same bands, that's for sure!! Yngwie is my favorite guitarist, bar none. Michael Schenker holds a close second for me, especially when he is playing in M.S.G. I also like Carl JOhan Grimmark's playing in the band Narnia. I also like Angelica a lot. I like both Rush and Mr. Big, and Angelica reminds me of the Christian version of those two bands. I'll send ya a PM!!
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

PostSubject: Re: Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands?   Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 11:22 am

Message received! Right back at ya! Thanks, bro! Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands? - Page 3 604261
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands?   Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 11:23 pm

Just call it "brother by another mother" and it's all good
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

PostSubject: Re: Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands?   Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2009 11:53 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
Schbopo wrote:

They'd be in the Top 10! Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands? - Page 3 604261
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands?   Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Where would you rank Stryper against other hair metal bands?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3